Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Final 16): Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 AC Milan - Planet Spurs Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Final 16): Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 AC Milan Wednesday 9 March, KO: 19:45 GMT, White Hart Lane

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 19:49

Tottenham Hotspur Vs. AC Milan

Team News

Rafa van der Vaart is available to face AC Milan in the Champions League tomorrow night.

However, Harry Redknapp reported that Gareth Bale was 'touch and go' to start the last 16, second leg at the Lane.

Dutch maestro Rafa, 12 goals in 24 appearances this season, played an hour of our 1-0 first leg win in the San Siro on February 15 but a calf problem has ruled him out of our last two matches at Blackpool and Wolves.

"Rafa's okay," said Harry. "He trained this morning and yesterday, and worked particularly hard yesterday. He came through with no problems and he's available."

Gareth returned to action with a 20-minute stint off the bench in Sunday's draw at Wolves.

That was the Welsh flyer's first action since departing early at Newcastle with a back problem that subsequently kept him out for six weeks.

"Gareth trained this morning, his back is fine but he still felt a bit stiff in the the legs," said Harry.

"We will wait until tomorrow to see how he is. It's touch and go as to whether or not he's fit enough to start the game.

"I would love to start him and if he's fit, he's a fantastic player for us. If he's not quite right, I won't take a chance with him.

"I'm sure he's desperate to play but he won't play if he doesn't feel quite 100 per cent. It's his decision as to whether or not he feels ready. We'll have to wait and see."

Vedran 'Charlie' Corluka is also available after recovering from an ankle injury sustained in the first leg.

"Charlie is fit," added Harry. "He's fine. He's worked hard in training for the last week or two and he's available.

"I've now got to make a decision between him and Alan Hutton. We'll look at that one tomorrow.

"Charlie has worked hard with the physio and fitness coaches, he's made a good recovery and wants to play. Everyone wants to play in this game."

Ledley King (groin), Tom Huddlestone (ankle), Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Younes Kaboul (knee) remain out.

The club also want all fans who are attending to wear white and bring flags etc with them, to make it a lilywhite night.

Come on You Spurs!

crest.gif

This post has been edited by Stephan: 17 March 2011 - 21:33

#2 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:48

We need to get this thread started!!

Firstly, are any of you lads going to this one?? If so, it would be good to meet up for a drink or two, pre/post match!! I usually hit up the Bee hive and bricklayers before/after the game!!

Onto the game itself, the continuing uncertainty on Bale is the only thing that will affect the line up so I'll put up my suggested team with and without our Welsh Wizard!!

Gomes

Hutton?? Gallas Dawson Bae

Lennon Modric Sandro Piennar/Bale

VDV
Crouchy

Subs: Bassong, Palacios (may be needed at rb) Kranjcar Bale Piennar, Defoe, Pav, Townsend

COYS!! We can do this!!!

#3 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:34

Boateng went off injured against Juventus last night. Damaged ankle and left the stadium on crutches, putting serious doubt over whether he will play. Pato missed out due to flu and may not be at full strength as well.

I'll be happy if KPB doesn't make it, the less ex-Spurs players the better, and he certainly was there to do the damage against us in the Cup semi last season.

#4 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:18

QUOTE (EuanW @ Mar 6 2011, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boateng went off injured against Juventus last night. Damaged ankle and left the stadium on crutches, putting serious doubt over whether he will play. Pato missed out due to flu and may not be at full strength as well.

I'll be happy if KPB doesn't make it, the less ex-Spurs players the better, and he certainly was there to do the damage against us in the Cup semi last season.

Yep, he's definitely the sort of player who raises his game 100% to prove a point and put in a 'f*** you' performance against an ex-team. Hope the p***k's out...

#5 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 07 March 2011 - 14:14

I never like to say I'm glad someones injured but I had the feeling he would come back to haunt us again, so thats good to hear! Also, without Gattuso and no Van Bommel they will be lacking in central midfield right??

#6 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:05

QUOTE (special yid @ Mar 7 2011, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never like to say I'm glad someones injured but I had the feeling he would come back to haunt us again, so thats good to hear! Also, without Gattuso and no Van Bommel they will be lacking in central midfield right??

They'd be even worse off if Flamini got the ban he deserves....

They need a goal and a fit bale, and rested lennon should be able to skin them on the counter. We've no option but to retain our shakey defense. I'd say a 4-5-1. I'd like defoe at the top for his pace but we know the lankey one will get the spot. Wings and Modric pick themselves. I'd like to see Palacios and Sandro in the middle with Modric, should stop Milan building anything and they don't need to do anything and still the little man will mean we have some creativity. All we need to do is avoind an early goal and we're laughing.

#7 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:11

Gomes

Hutton
Gallas
Dawson
Ekotto

Lennon
Modric
Sandro
Bale/Pienaar

VDV

Crouch

Team is pretty obvious for this one, I'd say. Hope we won't need it, but here's a little prediction.... .....

Defoe to score the goal that takes us through in the 75th to 90th minutes range.

#8 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:11

Well my Lads this is the big game of the week and I am so glad that Bale will
be playing and if we win this one it will be the best birthday present ever.
Harry believes VdV will be fit as well and he will be playing Lennon also so I
do expect a full squad of players to face Milan.Harry also said that he will be
playing attacking football so I can see Bale--VdV--Lennon hitting them hard on
the break.I do not know what striker he will start with Crouch has been doing
well providing for VdV but now DeFoe has hit a couple will he come on for at
least 30mins as we know how fast he is and a good goal scorer when in form.
Also Pav; hit a bullet of a goal on Sunday so they are all firing at the moment.
When I see SPURS going on a rampage I get so excited and so I am going to
forecast a good win for us if our back four get their act together. 3--1 to the Spurs
and we have an away goal to go with that.(Their manager said we are the weakest teams in the CL)
1940Spursman8...coys/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ///////////

#9 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:48

I'm very worried about our defence, they seem to have lost confidence. This has coincided with Crouch not playing much and maybe his help against set pieces will sort the problems praying.gif

#10 Guest_CO_Spurs_*

Posted 07 March 2011 - 21:09

KPB out injured? That's the best news I've heard all week! I was really worried about him considering his inspired performance against us last time. He's also been one of their better players of late. I think we should have enough to finish them off. However, it is definitely possible that they find a way to score against us.

It goes without saying that the first goal (if any) is massive. I'm not sure they can score twice at WHL though, so that bodes well. I definitely think we need to play the possession game and try to hit them on the wings like we've done in the past. If we can keep them pinned back due to our speed, I think we have an excellent chance. If we let them have the ball and the game turns into a slow, technical affair, then I think we may have some problems.

#11 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:00

Its almost upon us, our biggest game at WHL for a while (until the next one) & Im so looking forward to it.
I will be repeating the exact same routine I went through for the Inter home game.
Same kind of day, same clothes, same time in the pub with the same group of mates, same time into the ground & fingers crossed the same time going f***ing mental when we put away another sorry bunch of over hyped hairband wearing italian w***ers!
Our past history should have me being cautious about this one, we are past masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of a victory but for a reason im not quite sure about Im feeling confident about this game, very confident.
The futures bright, the futures WHITE.
COYS!!!

#12 Guest_Hotspur_*

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:14

I feel confident, infact very confident that we will beat AC Milan at the Lane on Wednesday night. dancing.gif

I can actually see us winning 2-0 or 3-0 as the pace of Bale & Lennon and guile & skill of Van der Vaart & Modric will scare the s*** out of AC Milan.

Added to that, the White Hart Lane crowd will play their part by making the atmosphere electric and hostile for the Milan team, who will have to attack us as they must score. This will allow us to hit them on the break and open the game up for us.

Crouch seems to have the midas goalscoring touch in the Champions League and the Milan defenders hate playing against him. Sandro and Palacios will tackle like trains in the centre of midfied and not let Milan settle on the ball. And our back 5 of Gomes, Hutton, Dawson, Gallas & Ekotto must keep it tight and disiplined and play their A game, which I think they will.

Plus, we have already beaten AC Milan @the San Siro and we know we are better than them.

So it all adds up to a Tottenham Hotspur victory and a place in the last 8 of the Champions League. dancing.gif

TO DARE IS TO DO and Champions League glory at the Lane is so close I call smell it now. . . nice1.gif cheers.gif dancing.gif

#13 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:20

Dont know why but I also feel confident 2-1 I feel, my only real concern is as always Gomes, apart from that "No Probs mate"
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#14 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:42

QUOTE (journeyman @ Mar 8 2011, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont know why but I also feel confident 2-1 I feel, my only real concern is as always Gomes, apart from that "No Probs mate"

I'm more confident about this than Iwas about Wolves. That's more a comment on our inability to turn up for average prem games than anything else.

Only worry is the defence... which seems to have gone walkies. If Kaboul is fit I think he has to play ahead of Hutton and I would like Daws to find some form tonight also.

Think our forward line will be too much for them and we will score. Problem is I can see them scoring a few as well. Think we will do it, but as per usual with spurs it will be the hard way and we will all be biting our nails.

My prediction, 3-2 Spurs.

#15 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:57

Charlie is fit and available for tomorrow!

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/foo...s-against-milan

#16 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:00

I agree with what Hotspur says about how the game is likely to pan out but I think he is playing about thirteen players there!! Lol. Ithink it is between Sandro and Palacios to partner Moddders in mf and the rest of the team really picks itself tbh!! (See my/Euan's previous line up)

Also, I had a vision the other day, that Dawson will score for us!! Tempted to have a lil flutter on that actually!!
Anyway, result wise I think if we can score early we will win well!! I'll go for 2-1 though!!

#17 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:08

I would play something similar to the first leg:

Gomes

Charlie Gallas Daws BAE

Lennon Palacios Sandro Modric

Vdv

Crouch

If they start with three up front i.e. Robinho Ibra Pato then maybe play Bale and Azza for counters; But I would really like the solid cover in centre Mid - The hustlers Sandro and Sarge!

#18 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:09

Jeenola: You have just made my day!! Do we think he will go straight back in, if as reported, he is now fit??

#19 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:10

No Bale Jeenola???

#20 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:13

I did not see anything about Charlie in that article mate??!!

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users