Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Final 16): Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 AC Milan - Planet Spurs Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Final 16): Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 AC Milan Wednesday 9 March, KO: 19:45 GMT, White Hart Lane

#221 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:22

I was very concerned during the first half...Milan clearly had the tactical upper-hand with their 4-3-3 formation which tied up our full-backs and enabled their full-backs to push forward to support their midfield. I was relieved to go in at 0 v 0 which gave our coaches the chance to influence things and I think the early part of the second half reflected this. I thought 'Arry's substitutions were spot on; although not 100%, Bale would have given them cause for concern and tempered their attacking ambitions slightly, while JJ offered fresh legs at a time when Pienaar was getting tired.
Hats off to all the players but, as everyone has said, particular praise to Dawson, Mad Willy and, especially, Sandro. I have been banging on for ages about the importance of an effective defensive midfielder and this boy could be the real deal.
Looking to the next round, I don't want Barcelona(better to play them in a one off game) and I don't want the English teams...because I hate them so much I want Barcelona or Madrid to put them out. SD would be tricky opponents so I would rather have Shalke or Bayern.
One final thing, I'm so glad Boetang was sold...he was, and still is, a tos*er. crest.gif

#222 Guest_ChadSpurs_*

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:01

OK - so in a nutshell...

Take back everything Ive ever said about Gallas. Now love him.
Sandro is a god.
Boateng and Flamini should be killed. No messing - killed.

I have just about stopped dancing!

#223 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 19:19

Boy oh boy what a game and I was on the edge of my seat all the way through the game
and I have not seen for a long time the resilience that the Spurs team had last night.
To say I was proud of our team is an understatement they were awesome and I find it
really hard to pick star players out in this game they were all brilliant.
Gallas saved our bacon with a goaline clearence and Sandro was amazing and Dawson
was so proud to be our captain.I applaud all the team there was a job to do and they all
played their part and did their jobs.So congratulations to Harry and all his backroom
staff the team and Mr.Levy and yes Mr.Levy you should sign up Harry for the next 10yrs.
I love this site-I love this team-and I admire all the posters on this site as well(carry on lads).
1940Spursman8/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////

#224 User is online   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 10 March 2011 - 22:30

I hope we get Barcelona, we can beat them biggrin.gif PODEMOS!

Got loads of friends who are barca fans and a few cousins too. We can do it biggrin.gif

#225 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 10 March 2011 - 23:21

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Mar 10 2011, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope we get Barcelona, we can beat them biggrin.gif PODEMOS!

Got loads of friends who are barca fans and a few cousins too. We can do it biggrin.gif

Let's not rock the boat too far now lol rolleyes.gif

#226 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:18

What a night!
As far as workouts go it doesnt get much harder than that.
I think we all knew that Milan would play above the level they produced 3 weeks ago & boy did they!
That said almost all of their dominance came in the middle 3rd of the pitch & only Gallas's goal line clearence in the 1st half, Pato's shot into the side netting & that late Robinho chance in the 2nd half were real bang on goal scoring chances.
They huffed & puffed alot but our house wasnt just built of brick, it was built or big f***off massive stone blocks!
To a man our boy's were excellant. They had to be as Milan came too make a game of it.
The quality of our defensive display was there for all to see. For me seeing 2, sometimes 3 white shirts busting a gut to get to the ball & smother a dangerous moment was the highlight.
Sandro is also my MOTM he was imense, some good nicknames for him so far too! Im gonna call him 'Spiderman' from now on cos I swear he's got 6 legs!
A special word for Gallas & Crouch too, both were brilliant for us, Mad Willy your past indescretions are excused & Rodney your work rate whilst ploughing that lone farrow upfront was exemplary.
Last 8 for us now, there wont be an easy game awaiting us but you just know whoever we get & whatever the outcome the boys will do their best!
Its for moments such as last night that we have all endured the pain of the last 15 plus years.
Its a pleasure to be a Spurs fan!
COYS!!!

#227 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 11 March 2011 - 14:23

Btw, Corluka may have given the ball away a few times, but did you notice how much more secure our backline is with him in it ?

Charlie and Lennon closed down, blocked and snuffed out endless amounts of attacks, crosses down our right and they did it together as a pair.

Thought Charlie deserved a mention tis all....

#228 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 11 March 2011 - 15:19

Think it was desailly who said it was good that Tottenham had that type of performance in their locker and the more i think about it the more i agree.

The group stages are all well and good but 2 leg european ties are more tactical affairs in general and i think we learnt so much more about this CL stuff than in our group matches. At the very least we learnt something about ourselves

#229 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 11 March 2011 - 16:06

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Mar 11 2011, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think it was desailly who said it was good that Tottenham had that type of performance in their locker and the more i think about it the more i agree.

The group stages are all well and good but 2 leg european ties are more tactical affairs in general and i think we learnt so much more about this CL stuff than in our group matches. At the very least we learnt something about ourselves

Definately.

I was thinking yesterday how the 0-0 has many benefits that a 3-2 or 2-1 win does, players got the confidence that they can absorb pressure, keep a clean sheet in a big game, park the bus when necessary etc. Hopefully can transfer some of that defending to our prem form!

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users