Planet Spurs Forums: Wigan Athletic 0-0 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Wigan Athletic 0-0 Tottenham Hotspur Saturday 2 April, KO: 15:00 GMT, DW Stadium

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 13:03

Saturday it's back to business for the boys from White Hart Lane. We continue our push for 4th away at Wigan Athletic.

The Latics are right in the relegation scrap, currently being at the bottom of the table with 30 points. Wigan have won only 2 of their last 10 games. However, manager Roberto Martinez will be looking to turn their fortunes after his team clinched a vital 2-1 win over fellow relegation battlers Birmingham City.

Spurs are on a dismal run as of late. They managed to get just 2 points out of a possible 9 against struggling bottom half sides Blackpool, Wolves and West Ham. Harry Redknapp will be looking to get a vital win against Wigan to keep Spurs' slim chances on Champions League qualification alive. Spurs are trailing 4th placed Manchester City by 4 points although Spurs have a game in hand.

Spurs will be without Jonathan Woodgate who faced another setback in his return to fitness after picking up a calf muscle strain in a Spurs XI friendly during the international break. Wilson Palacios will also not be fit for Saturday's match. Younes Kaboul is edging close to his return to the team but he is not expected to start. Meanwhile Tom Huddlestone is back in training and he could be in contention for Saturday. Gareth Bale is a doubt after he picked up a hamstring strain at Wales' training camp.

Wigan are free of injuries and suspensions.

#2 Guest_cri$p$_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 16:10

very important game this we need 3 points after a very poor run against the so called weaker sides. I worry the small matter of Madrid on tuesday will get in the way of this game but hopefully they can put it to the back of their minds and go for the win.
im going to this game and notice on spurs website it says sold out, thats 4500 so not bad should be good backing from the away end

#3 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 16:25

3 points or bust for sure, we've dropped all the points we're allowed to against bottom half teams for the season (and probably more).
Can't help but think the fixture list cock-ups and the international break has partly contributed to our lack of momentum recently, theres no fluency building - we play better in rest-free shifts! COYS.

#4 Guest_AlexWHU_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 16:33

2 fit centre halves...

#5 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 17:34

Another brilliant post Stephan and I keep enjoying reading them.
To the main point of this post a game against Wigan a game I feel we must get
the full 3 points.I was at the Westham game and how we did not win that game
I do not know we were all over them hit the woodwork 4 times and they had no response.
At Wigan we need to start like we did at West Ham and do our quick passing and hit them
on the break.We have the players to do it and I feel we are superior to Wigan with no
disrespect to Wigan and in my opinion we have one of the best managers in the
Premier League.I just hope he stays with Spurs for a very long time (hoping).
I just hope Harry gets our back four sorted out as we have another big game next week.

1940Spursman8...coys////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// //// smile.gif

#6 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 17:50

Wigan aren't your typical overly physical mediocre team. They're mediocre and like to play a bit. With them needing points bad, they should try to venture out and attack us, which will suit our expansive style and fast players, down to the ground.

This is literally last chance saloon, with regards to finishing fourth, so I'll expect the boys to be massively up for it and bring home the full points 3-1. Anything less than a win, and we're f***ed.

#7 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 18:16

I always fear Rodallega has one of those days when we play Wigan. I have the impression he manages to score quite a lot against us...

#8 Guest_Hotspur_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 18:38

We have two fit centre backs for this trip to Wigan, Dawson and Bassong.

Wigan are fighting for survival and will make it very hard for us and they are a very unpredictable team.

We must get the 3 points if we are to have any hope of keeping up our fight for 4th place with Man City.

Will the players have one eye on the trip to Real Madrid on Tuesday for the Champions League??

Heart says Spurs win, head says we maybe lucky to get a point. . rolleyes.gif

#9 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2011 - 18:45

Cringing at the thought of bassong at centre back, if there is no other option i guess well have to, i was thinking huddlestone could slip into centre back but hes just come back after 4 months and cant be thrown into centre back. Sandro would probably do a much better job than bassong lol.

#10 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 19:14

Lawro's Prediction for Wigan Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur

This is a very difficult one for Spurs manager Harry Redknapp to approach because his men have such a massive match on Tuesday to look forward to with their Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid.

I would suspect that will mean that anyone with a slight niggle will not play at the DW Stadium on Saturday.

I have been saying all season that, with Wigan, you just never know what you are going to get.

The problem the Latics have is that they might have a good spell in games but that seems to be outweighed by a bad spell when they concede far too easily.

Prediction: Wigan 1-2 Spurs

This would put Wigan in 20th place on 16 points, according to his predictions this season, while Tottenham would be in 7th place on 54 points.

In fact, Wigan go into the game in 20th place on 30 points while Spurs are in 5th place on 49 points.

Here are all of Lawro's 2010-11 Premier League predictions, together with how the League Table would look like if he was correct...

Lawro's Predictions 2010-11

#11 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 20:09

Bassong's pace is probably more suited to this match, again our problems are centered around goals. Get a lead and our back four can settle down.

If we don't score goals/ we don't win. And we need to score more than 1

#12 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 20:14

We MUST win.
COYS!!!

#13 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 22:04

Is Gallas injured? Didn't hear about it. Kaboul is very close to fitness as well judging from the news the last 2 weeks.

#14 Guest_AlexWHU_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 22:29

Knee injury I heard

#15 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:29

No Gallas in the Wigan game = not a problem!! No Gallas for Madrid = we are f**ked!!

Dont know what to expect in terms of a team, or result for this one!!

We know and the players know that this is a must win and we have to give our all in every game that is left to achieve what we want!!

Line up?? At a guess I would go with:

Gomes
Corluka Dawson Bassong BAE

Lennon Modric Sandro Kranjcar

Pav Defoe

#16 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 17:18

QUOTE (AlexWHU @ Mar 31 2011, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knee injury I heard

One of the bits of gaffa tape holding his knees together, must've come loose.

#17 Guest_Hotspur_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 17:24

Sky Sports News have just announced that Alan Hutton is out of the Wigan game with a knee injury and likely to miss a month because of it.

So we could line up like this against Wigan.

Gomes
Corluka
Dawson
Bassong
Ekotto
Lennon
Sandro
Modric
Pienaar / Kranjcar
Van der Vaart
Crouch

Subs,
Cudicini
Huddlestone
Pienaar / Kranjcar
Palacios
Defoe
Pavlyuchenko

#18 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 18:51

Lennon had a little problem through the week, I could see VDV playing on the right. I think Pienaar is injured though ? I reckon Harry will go with this....

Gomes

Corluka
Dawson
Bassong
Ekotto

VDV
Sandro
Modric
Kranjcar

Defoe
Pav

#19 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 19:27

Gomes
Corluka
Dawson
Bassong
Assou-Ekotto
Lennon
Jenas (Hudd if fit)
Modric
Kranjcar
Defoe
Pav

Hope to f*** that Gallas is fit come Tuesday. Get Frank Lampard's magic horse placenta all over that knee, billy boy.

Quite fancy two up front for this one to occupy Wigan's back four, given that they are utter gash.

#20 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 19:32

Could almost guarantee we are going to go with a 4-4-2 and Crouch to start on the bench. Maybe this formation?

Gomes

Corluka Dawson Basson BAE
VDV Jenas Modric Lennon
Pav Defoe

Harry wont risk Crouch and he may save Sandro for Tuesday.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users