Planet Spurs Forums: Wigan Athletic 0-0 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Wigan Athletic 0-0 Tottenham Hotspur Saturday 2 April, KO: 15:00 GMT, DW Stadium

#121 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:00

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 2 2011, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone else faced the reality that we have been pretty much not very good for the WHOLE domestic season ?

I'm not one to go overboard and start cussing everything left right and centre, but we have basically won no more than 2-3 games comfortably in the league and have relied on late comebacks, narrow wins, luck and bad refereeing which has hurt our opposition more than us. The rest has been one or two good draws ( Man Utd, emm ?), disappointing draws where we should've won, and various types of losses.

s*** in the FA Cup
s*** in the League Cup

One way of looking at it is that we are under performing even more than our league position suggests, albeit with bad injuries for most of the season. I don't like being negative, but if anyone can disprove the above please go ahead.

I agree with the general tenor of this post and I have been thinking along the same lines for some time now. One look at the league table tells the story...Spurs are not an easy team to beat but too often we flatter to deceive. Fewer defeats than all others, except for Arsenal and the Bast**ds, but far too many draws in games which on paper, and given the possession statistics, we should have won comfortably; Man. City, Sunderland and West Ham at home come to mind and there have been even more such disappointments on the road.
I have just returned from a week end away...Madrid ironically... and never saw the Wigan game but I am not at all surprised with the result or with the manner in which the game apparently unfolded. In my view, we will not finish fourth, regardless of today's result at Eastlands. I agree that we have been plagued by injuries, but we have not played well enough this season and we can't keep on hoping other teams will do the job for us. My main concern is Liverpool...if we finish fifth, I think we will keep our players for another year and hopefully, in the summer months, we might be able to acquire a striker or two to give us that cutting edge we currently lack; if we don't, I'm not so sure. Well done Roy Hodgson, happiest man in England right now!
By the way, I can only remember one game in the league that was comfortable...Blackburn at home, and even during that game I was stressed out because 'Arry kept our key players on the pitch long after it was already won! rolleyes.gif

#122 Guest_c411um_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:31

Man city are struggling against sunderland. Only scored four so far....

#123 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:45

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ Apr 3 2011, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good point, but the same has been said about every team this season including Utd. This has been a very strange season and when you look at the bottom half of the table it tells a story. No team has become detached at the bottom of the table and they are all still fighting for survival.

Late winners have always helped out the teams at the top, as have dodgy referees. We are not getting anything that others have not been given. Check out the amount of times goons have scored a goal that has rescued a result for them this season late in the game.

Refs and fergie need no explanation

On a day when we drew 0-0 with Wigan away from home, goons drew 0-0 with Blackburn at home playing against 10 men for a while. Liverpool gave away a goal lead at WBA and will complain about the ref who was right with both WBA penalty decisions in my view. Add to that Utd came back from 2-0 down and Chelsea were thwarted at Stoke (fuller is a bell-end). Then it is fair to say that football is indeed a funny old game

Don't be surprised if gyan scores a hat-trick against City today

I do agree with what you are saying, but I'm afraid it runs deeper than just being about a funny old league, this season. Our luck appears to have run out. Lets be honest, we may have won away at Blackburn and Sunderland, but neither performance was particularly good, and we couldn't expect to keep winning on the road playing to that standard. Our results in the last four games are more indicative of the performances we've been putting out.

The league may have produced funny results this season, but we have rarely even played well in any of our wins, or played well but our strikers have horribly let us down, and we've ended up dropping points.

Other teams around the top may have dropped more points than usual, but they have also done their usual thing of playing well and winning games comfortably on multiple occasions. Look at our goal difference compared to others around us. It's dreadful. You can count on one hand, the times that we have gone out, played well, and disposed of our opposition efficiently by 2 or 3 goals. Any normal recent Spurs season has us winning plenty of games handsomely and playing really nice football.

If I was asked what game we looked best in this season, in the league, then it would be the first half of the first game of the season, against Man City, that ended up 0-0. It's now April, so this isn't good.

#124 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 17:00

now that im watching this game, i have to make a couple comments:

1) with all the play going through the middle and with CAM's playing on the wings, why isn't defoe running out to either wing in order to receive the ball? this would give us width and would possibly have dragged a CB out of position.

2) why is pavlyuchenko dropping so deep? play really ought to be terminating with pav taking a pop on goal. instead of playing on the shoulder of the last defender where he can use his considerable strength and first touch, hes running towards the goal like a midfielder

3) jenas is way too ponderous on the ball. every time he receives the ball in the middle third, he slows play down to the point where wigan are able to get 9 men behind the ball and switch out all their mismatched defenders. not only that but his passing, although fairly accurate, tends to be predictable and slow, either allowing defenders to intercept it, or to put a body on the receiver before it even arrives. he needs to be a permanent bench warmer. he certainly doesn't belong in a possession oriented attacking squad.

#125 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 17:06

Jenas had a stinker, but his play was definitely slowed down by the fact that we had no options wide. He was forced to stall and look infield, where it was very crowded. Not really his fault.

Pav actually linked very well yesterday, I recorded some stats down - he was successful in 15/18 passes attempted, and all of our most slick moves involved him. You'd have to ascertain that Pav was to drop a bit deeper and Defoe was to stay higher.

#126 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 17:10

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 3 2011, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd have to ascertain that Pav was to drop a bit deeper and Defoe was to stay higher.

poor tactics in my opinion. defensively we've been quite good, but offensively i really think we need some more creativity and logic applied.

defoe has practically no chance of scoring when receiving the ball in a crowded box with his back to goal. pav does.

pav is good all over the place with his creativity, but i'd rather his good play get modric and vdv, who end up inside anyways, involved...

#127 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 17:31

defoe has practically no chance of scoring when receiving the ball in a crowded box with his back to goal

Defoe playing higher up doesn't mean he will get the ball in the box with his back to the goal. It actually means the reverse. Pav playing deeper is the one with his back to goal more.

Pav is better than Defoe at drifting a bit deep and linking up play. Defoe has more pace, runs channels better and plays on the last line of the defenders more. Its harder for him to do that though, if the oppo is sitting deep and the middle of the pitch crowded, hence why he may end up facing away from the goal a bit more.

pav is good all over the place with his creativity

Not sure I'd go that far, Kevin ! wink1.gif

but i'd rather his good play get modric and vdv, who end up inside anyways, involved...

His play actually did that yesterday. Our only good moves of the game came from Pav dropping deep, getting the ball into feet and linking with Modric or VDV. 3 or 4 slick moves in this fashion is all we managed in the whole game.

Thats the theory anyways ( of course this is all meant to be fluid and they should be switching about anyways), but in practise it did nothing, and the general point of your post is correct. All our current striking combinations are s*** and we need new blood.

#128 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 17:52

there has got to be someway to arrange our offensive talent to produce goals.

i just can't believe that we have what is supposed to be at least 150 million pounds worth of midfielders + attackers in defoe, pavlycuhenko, modric, vdv, sandro, lennon, crouch and bale and we can't figure out how to score one goal against wigan athletic, whom are at home and not parking the bus, whilst west ham united put two in against man united.

there has to be some kind of answer. i refuse to believe that answer is up to divine providence, or which way the wind blows. there has to be some magic combination of tactics that will produce more goals. we really need to figure that out.

#129 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 18:02

in my opinion, we played our offense this way:

------defoe-----
------pav-------
-luka-----rafa--
--------jj--------
-----sandro-- ---

which represents our formation combined with the player's tendencies

we should have played this on offense:
--------pav-------
<-----defoe----->
---luka-----rafa--
----jj-----sandro-

with pav dropping back to link up in the middle with vdv and modders, whom have good shots on them

defoe getting on to either wing to try and get around the back of the defense or to provide a wide option to an attacking full back.

i'd also say that jj should cover for bennys forays forward as he would offer a better wide left option.

defoe should probably run wide on the right more often since corluka has far less ability to get forward and put in crosses from wide not to mention his lack of recovery pace in case of getting caught forward.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users