Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Real Madrid 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Real Madrid 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 5 April, KO: 19:45 GMT, Estadio Santiago Bernabéu

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 13:06

This is the big one! We take on one of Europe's biggest giants of all time, Real Madrid.

Real will probably be able to play Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portugese suffered a hamstring injury in the Madrid derby against Atletico. He was feared to be out for 2 tot 3 weeks but Ronaldo seems to be available for Tuesday's match. Meanwhile it looks like Benzema might be out of contention after picking up a thigh injury while being on international duty for France. Real will probably not suffer too much while Benzema is out now that Gonzalo Higuaín is back to match fitness and is expected to play on Tuesday.

To get in the mood listen to our CL anthem!

Both Modric and Sandro said they are looking forward to the clash with Madrid's superstars:

Luka Modric: "Real are favourites"

Sandro: "We don't fear Real"

BIOYC! boxing.gif

#2 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 13:25

Benzema and Marcelo are doubts for the first leg, which is nice. Benzema has been on blistering form and Marcelo is having his best season yet.

Higuian is coming back into contention though, but is sure to be lacking match sharpness. He might play this weekend, I believe.

#3 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 17:51

Oh;;Stephan I wish this game was on TV as I will be like a cat on a hot tin roof
and I do not have Sky either.Plus I do not like watching a massive game like
this on Matchtracker.Getting to the match though we really need to be on top
form for this one and we need--Modric--VdV--Bale--Hudd--Sandro--Gallas--Dawson
and all our players to be fit after the Wigan game.I really relish big games like this
because these are the games where the SPURS belong but I would love to do to
Real Madrid what we did to AC Milan and score either 1 or 2 away goals and then
take them to White Hart Lane.Am I dreaming could we really do that and my heart
tells me we have got as good as some of the players at R.Madrid oh and how I
would love to be in that Majestic stadium to see the Spurs players do it.
I have to give credit to Harry Redknapp for getting us this far and hopefully further.

1940Spursman8...coys/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// // Clapping.gif Clapping.gif

#4 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 31 March 2011 - 20:09

Will be there next Tues night.
All of our group (11) have tickets dotted around the stadium (only 2 of em in the away section).
Im sitting with 3 of my mates in tier 4 of the main East stand in the 3rd row.
I have a nice feeling about this game, a really nice feeling!
More of the medicine we dished out to Milan in the San Siro coming up methinks.
Im not sure what the injury situ is but I expect us to line up something like this............................
...................................................Gomes

Corluka. ......................Dawson......................Gallas............BAE

......................... ..........................Sandro

Lennon..........................Modric........................VdV. ........Bale

..................................................Crouch

Barcelona here we come!!!

#5 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:25

Oh boy!! Still over 4 days to go till this one and I am already cacking it!! Lol.

Even the West Ham game was overshadowed by this one for me, so Wigan is gonna be hard to concentrate on with the Marid tie in the back of all our minds!! But getting three points this sat will put us in good stead for this one as well as a top four finish!!

Good luck and have fun to all that are travelling out there!! Do us proud lads!!

#6 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 13:33

Jose claims that Ronaldo, Benzema and Marcelo are expected to miss out. Hope this is true and not some attempt at mind games.

#7 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 01 April 2011 - 13:43

Not sure what Jose is like, Ie: Mind games, or tells it as it is??

Who comes in for these players if they dont make it??? I said when this game came out the hat, that Ronaldo was the only player of theirs I was worried about and I stand by that!! So if he is out then..........................................

dancing.gif dancing.gif dancing.gif dancing.gif birthday.gif dancing.gif dancing.gif

#8 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 13:45

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Apr 1 2011, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jose claims that Ronaldo, Benzema and Marcelo are expected to miss out. Hope this is true and not some attempt at mind games.

I always thought mind games were his speciality....

#9 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:39

QUOTE (1940Spursman8 @ Mar 31 2011, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh;;Stephan I wish this game was on TV as I will be like a cat on a hot tin roof
and I do not have Sky either.Plus I do not like watching a massive game like
this on Matchtracker.

As long as you have internet you can watch it mate, if you come on this match thread just before the game starts there will be links to free streams for sure.

#10 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 17:18

QUOTE (ChrisPienaar @ Apr 1 2011, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys,
Forget mind games.
Its the 1st of April aka 'April Fools Day'.
Take ANY news eminating from Real via Jose with a pinch of salt!
COYS!!!

#11 Guest_Gladiator_*

Posted 01 April 2011 - 21:02

Edited first page: A little video at the top to get you in the mood wink.gif
Enjoy

#12 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:57

Mmmm. Real lost at home to Sporting Gijon today. Not sure what to make of that. Anyone watch it?
Higuain made his return - big boost for them ahead of Tuesday.

#13 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 02 April 2011 - 18:04

I don't really see the value of this quarter final any more after 4 shocking performances in the Premier League. With our current crop, no chance we will score away at Madrid, hence we will never make it to the semis.

CL...it was great while it lasted.

#14 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 02 April 2011 - 18:23

Benzema was sneakily sitting on the bench tonight. He's so making it for Tuesday......

#15 Guest_Hotspur_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 14:01

I watched Real Madrid lose at home to little Sporting Gijon and they quickly ran out of ideas of how to break Gijon down.

And yes that was just 'mind games' when Jose Mourinho said that he would be without Ronaldo, Benzema and Marcello for Tuesday nights Champions League game. In fact today he has already said that Ronaldo 'maybe risked', there was no rish he'd ever actually miss this game. . rolleyes.gif

Benzema and Ronaldo will both play for certain, as will probably Marcello, you can bet your house on that. . .

My other worry, apart from the fact we couldn't score in a brothel with £10k in our back pockets at the moment..is that after Real lost at home last night, and Jose lost his first home match as manager for 9 long years, can we really see Real Madrid losing at home again in quck succession??

I'd take a 2-1 away defeat now, as that would give us a big chance at the Lane to go through to the semi-finals of the Champions League. nice1.gif

#16 Guest_THFC6061_*

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:03

Tottenham Hotspur face Real Madrid on Tuesday 5th April 2011 in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals.

The second leg will be played at White Hart Lane on Wednesday 13th April 2011.

The winners of the tie will meet the winners of Barcelona v Shakhtar Donetsk in the Semi-Final.

In 1961, Bill Nicholson instigated Tottenham Hotspur's tradition of playing in an all-white kit for their European matches by telling his players "You look like Real Madrid - now go out there and play like them!"

Spurs and Real Madrid have already met once before in the fourth round (Quarter Finals) of the UEFA Cup in season 1984-85.

Tottenham lost 0-1 at home, which was their first defeat at the Lane in European football since 1961.

Clemence
Stevens - Perryman - Miller - Hughton
Chiedozie - Hazard - Hoddle - Galvin
Falco - Crooks

Subs: Dick & Brooke (Attn: 39,914)

The return leg at the Bernabéu resulted in a 0-0 draw with Real Madrid progressing to the Semi-Finals where they beat Inter Milan and then on to the Final where they beat Videoton of Hungary 3-1 on aggregate.

Clemence
Thomas - Perryman - Miller - Hughton
Hazard - Roberts - Hoddle - Galvin
Falco - Crooks

Subs: Dick & Brooke (Attn: 90,000)

Players who have been on the books of both Real Madrid & Tottenham Hotspur include...

David Beckham
Johnny Metgod
Rafael van der Vaart
Jonathan Woodgate

Full details of Tottenham Hotspur's complete record in Europe from 1961 to 2011 available here...

Spurs in Europe 1961-2011

#17 Guest_Darren_*

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:35

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/foo...aining%E2%80%99

#18 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:21

I have a suspicion that we will sneak this 1-0, probably more in hope than reality, but if we get beat I hope that we can keep it to one goal, ie 1-0 or loose but score an away goal.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#19 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:06

Are you guys blind? There already is a match thread

*topics merged*

#20 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:23

Well at least that shows Madrid are beatable at home at the moment and will be coming in to Tuesdays game on the back of a defeat!! So, we should be confident!! Just need to remeber how to SCORE!! Lol, actually, it's not funny anymore!! Crouch is our best hope (Gulp)!!

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users