Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Real Madrid 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Real Madrid 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 5 April, KO: 19:45 GMT, Estadio Santiago Bernabéu

#241 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 00:29

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 6 2011, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, I cant really be bothered wading into the Madrid v Barca debate. It's not as simple as good ( Barca ) v evil ( Madrid ), although I felt your response was a bit biased as well, not that I can blame you as a Madrid fan !

I now regret responding to Stephan after I saw one of his previous posts in the thread, I think he's been slightly bitter and let's say misinformed grinny.gif I saw a flag 'Dutch Yids' in the ground but seeing the timing of his posts I take it he didn't go, and there were those 'viva Barca' chants again....

Anyways, you spoke of Alfonso Perez ( another great player Madrid created and never used, in favour of spending big on other players ).

Alfonso was a smashing player. I had a soft spot for the Betis team of Finidi, Jarni, Oli, et al and Alfonso was my favourite. Great headerer of the ball, but had silky skills and could score outrageous long shots and volleys. I used to have a pair of yellow Alfonso Joma boots ! He was a modern Betis legend in the end.

And remember his hat trick v Yugoslavia in the Euros ? Awesome....

Alfonso technically was superior to most of the players of his generation but he never tried to materialize his talent to maximum. Big fish small pond but still quality type of player. I don't have time for him anyway.

As for our game I thought Spurs didn't play the game, they played the occasion and I personally think they found at Bernabéu something they didn't expect. Pre-match talk and mind games were mostly done by Spurs, and from the comments of your scouts and press I had the notion Spurs weren't properly ready for the game. You are way better than what you shown, just as I said the occasion was a bit too much for Spurs and the mentality wasn't the right one.

The result itself is a bit down to collectiveness of errors; from the tactical to the mental approach of Spurs I thought you were wrong everywhere, but this Real Madrid is a good side that hasn't conceded at home and it never looked like conceding. We average around 30 goal attempts and 3 goals per game, the best in the competition so far. A Spurs loss was always on the cards though not in such a manner but we all have those days when nothing goes our way.

I'd go back to the pre-match talk and game build up. We were all surprised by the comments of Sherwood and the Spurs representatives that created a false notion about the game, I personally think it's where Spurs started loosing the tie. Your naivety and inexperience became apparent right from the start. If we replay the game Spurs will be a totally different team approaching the game in totally different manner.

We had you studied to the smallest detail and aspect of your game, from the comments of our players and officials I knew we had the upper hand in the tie. Among the lines Ramos: "Great side, very dangerous, deserve to be where they are, we will give 101%, we are ready". Casillas: "They have a momentum, they are as good as everybody, we know them well". Butragueño:"Not an unknown name of European football, very good side that we know well. We don't have to concede". Valdano:"They play football, we should not concede. We will prepare the tie well".

I said in the other thread Spurs will be up against a type of opposition they haven't faced yet and we are the better prepared side. The timing of the game was not the best for Spurs either, after last weekend's lost we were always going to come out all guns blazing. I think that if Spurs could somehow manage to drive back the 1st 30 minutes siege without conceding the game would have been disputed.

We still haven't qualified for the semifinal. I don't know what to make of the 2nd game, don't you expect any great football, we will probably play 451 with 3 DMs, stay deep and wait you to give us the opportunity to counter attack you. We played counter attacking football in the 1st half with 1 player advantage. I Expect the 2nd game to be a borefest.

#242 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 00:36

I am too young to remember Laurie Cunningham myself. He is the only Real Madrid player to receive a standing ovation at Camp Nou

#243 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:49

QUOTE (Hotspur @ Apr 6 2011, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All a tad worrying this 'Lennon story' . . . rolleyes.gif

If, the club did know about his illness, I can't blame him for being angry and made to look like a scapegoat. He would then deserve an apology.

But, If Lennon is lieing, then he's finished at our Club as he won't be forgiven if 'his story' is false.

Either way, I don't think we've heard the last of this one as somebody is telling porkies and serious ones at that. And I can't see how things can ever be the same between Harry and Lennon after this. . .

As Ive kept saying, and what I heard a few months ago there are cracks appearing, I guess most of us heard Arry last night, before the united chelski game he said then that AL got sick in the tunnel, but Lenon says he told them on Sunday, so who do you believe, what the h*ll is going on, and as stated why would he lie, he has more to loose than Arry, sorry guys all is not well there are a lot of different stories about, Arry or AL who do you believe, dont know if Mr Levy was at the game but I was told yesterday that after the game, in fact soon after Mr Levy got a message to Arry saing "I will have a word when we get back to London"

Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#244 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:40

QUOTE (Hotspur @ Apr 6 2011, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In short Twitter is g*y!

hotspur, why do you have to be an instigating, axe-grinding curmudgeon all the time? if you are so old, gentlemanly, stoic, venerable, etc, then why not showcase some diplomacy and tact for a change instead of bitterly posting inflammatory ad-hominem attacks at everybody that you disagree with?

if you personally have a problem with me attempting to adjudicate on the forum whilst simultaneously whining about how other people are hurting your feelings by jokingly referring to harry as a nazi, then please just deal with it my friend, it's what i am supposed to be doing as an admin/mod.

(im sure that didn't hurt your feelings because i know you are a tough old chap and not some delicate flower)

thanks!

*_*_*_*_*

...lets be honest guys, you'd have had to have been a real optimist to think we would win or even draw at the bernabeu. people forget sometimes, but real madrid is an extremely physical team, the only way that barca continually does them in is due to their superior team play and incredible ball retention. they starve madrid of possession every time and force real to chase shadows and foul them to get a hold on possession (which they obviously fail to do). jenas isn't particularly good at anything other than running a lot, somewhat like zokora but with crappier defense and better theoretical, potential offense. would much rather that the hudd got the start, but, well, if he wasn't fully fit i guess we didn't have much of a choice anyways. either way, even with sandro, it was way too light of a midfield.

as for harry, i don't think this particular loss can be blamed on him. how are you gonna go down there with our injury list and get a result? its crazy to think that he somehow made crouch into a clumsy POS. crouch already is an awkward guy, half a step slow due to the length of his stride, he's one guy that should probably never attempt a slide tackle outside of england.

as for chiming in on the harry stay or go debate, hes been great on the whole but i feel like something has gone amiss in the last few months; his decisions have not felt right lately. at this point, to me harry is in below avergae form. you make some bad calls sometimes; it happens. unless we can guarantee a better replacement though, its probably wise to stick with him.

harry is a great man manager and can bring the best out of players, but is he the kind of guy that will teach the more advanced tactical maneuvers of footy? nope. in that sense, don't expect something like the incredible barca youth program to pop up at tottenham whilst harry is at the helm. he already disbanded the reserve team if we can recall- a move that, well, i don't really know how to evaluate at this point.

it is completely legit to criticize him for seeming to not take the league as seriously as CL. once we got the draw of madrid and barca, with our injury situation, we were going to have to make some tough decisions with half fit players and, as i have previously stated, i'd have rather gambled on getting points against wigan or the other rabble that we faced the last few fixtures rather than rotating the squad more than necessary in the build up to madrid.

lennon- who knows. weird situation: hes hurt his transfer value by pulling out just before the game with what sounded like stage fright according to harry and simultaneously made it extremely difficult for him to stay at spurs with his own comments. it will be pretty interesting to see how this will play out.

terrible game but it seems like the real damage is our squad cohesion at this point (pun not intended and only belatedly bittersweetly enjoyed (barely)).

final note to the madristas: until you win the league and go farther than barca in CL, there is no way for any reasonable person to conclude that you are the best team in the world. thanks for being civil and informative. to be honest, if you started trolling, well, we'd ban the living s*** out of you and think nothing of it! anyways, cheers! cheers.gif

#245 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:21

NOw Ive been up for three and half hours and read some media, there are seemingly a lot of questions being asked about our Arry, Spurs medics confirmed that AL reported sick on sunday, if this were the case as now seems correct you have to ask Why did Arry select him. There is a lot being said by various parties, but what is actually the truth, like you guys i have not got a dam clue, and a reported bust up with Gomes blaming Crouchy, and for me best of all Arry saying Madrid were ot to get him sent off!!!!!

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#246 Guest_Hotspur_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:26

QUOTE (SevenSteps2Kevin @ Apr 7 2011, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hotspur, why do you have to be an instigating, axe-grinding curmudgeon all the time? if you are so old, gentlemanly, stoic, venerable, etc, then why not showcase some diplomacy and tact for a change instead of bitterly posting inflammatory ad-hominem attacks at everybody that you disagree with?

if you personally have a problem with me attempting to adjudicate on the forum whilst simultaneously whining about how other people are hurting your feelings by jokingly referring to harry as a nazi, then please just deal with it my friend, it's what i am supposed to be doing as an admin/mod.

(im sure that didn't hurt your feelings because i know you are a tough old chap and not some delicate flower)

thanks!

*_*_*_*_*

Thanks for the personal attack. . nice1.gif

Do you remember that old song, 'You're so Vain'? We'll it appears your so vain, you think that post is about You or any 'past problems' I had. . When I can assure you it isn't!

IT WAS JUST ABOUT TWITTER!

And if you look at the posts, nobody was actually disagreeing with me about what we were talking about, which was 'Lennon Gate' and 'pro-footballers using Twitter'

You have clearly mistook my post that was just about 'Twitter' and how I think it's childish and pathetic, a bit like you are being right now!

And that, and only that, is the reason I 'jokingly called Twitter g*y!' though you obviously don't like my humour, but of course it's fine for others to make a joke, is it not??

Me and Stephan and well over and past our 'past spat' and if you read any of our recent posts you would see that. We have moved on since 'the Harry incident' . . It's just a pity you can't!

So, I say to you just deal with any problems you have with me. And in future I don't care what level of racist or Nazi abuse is posted on here in the future. As I wont 'go whining' about it, as you say, anymore.
And on this point: Don't you dare try and paint me as some sort of 'whining' grass!! If I've had a problem with any poster, I've always tackled them head on! And it was you that chose to get involved in my 'past spat' with Stephan, I never asked you too! Or needed you too! And the only time I PM'd you to complain about another poster was about Clive, and the many names he was using to 'troll over the forum' with his lies and rubbish, and I tackled that idiot 'head-on' first, before PM'ing you!!

I prefer to deal with any problems I may have, and have had in the past, on here, the 'old school way' and that's trying to sort the problem with them head on! And I certainly don't need your help with this.

I am sure my light hearted post has offended nobody on here, apart from you. . and it's clear you have no sense of humour, were I am concerned, you clearly 'don't get me' and that is fine. No problem. .

But I do have a problem with what seems 'your witch-hunt' towards me, as is proved with your post, above, when you are clearly looking for things that are not there.

I've said my peace and I can assure you I was not having a dig at anyone, other than twitter and the footballers that use it. . Now you can believe me or not, that is up to you. In fact, as you have clearly got 'a bee in your bonnet about me' - plain English 'the hump with me'. . I don't expect you too believe me, but I hope I'm wrong.

Either way, I am done with this. . But I did feel I had to use my right of reply to your 'personal attack on me'. And I am amazed that you have totally gone OTT and totally got the wrong end of the stick with my 'light hearted post about Twitter'

#247 Guest_El Pichichi_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:08

QUOTE (Vinny @ Apr 6 2011, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That Spain - Yugoslavia game was UNBELIEVABLE!

Was that also the team into in which Betis signed Denilson?

I'm sure Alfonso and Denilson played together at Betis, but I think Denilson was only bought in '98, so thay may have spent only a couple of seasons together there. It was a good team. Denilson was a bit of a flop though..

QUOTE (Stephan @ Apr 6 2011, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers for that! I'll make an updated version tomorrow. It's kinda difficult to get the text in the same curve as the banner in the Brazilian flag smile.gif

Glad i could contribute to your forum.. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ooooh Redondo @ Apr 7 2011, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(...)
We still haven't qualified for the semifinal. I don't know what to make of the 2nd game, don't you expect any great football, we will probably play 451 with 3 DMs, stay deep and wait you to give us the opportunity to counter attack you. We played counter attacking football in the 1st half with 1 player advantage. I Expect the 2nd game to be a borefest.

Nice analysis all around, amigo nice1.gif

QUOTE (SevenSteps2Kevin @ Apr 7 2011, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
final note to the madristas: until you win the league and go farther than barca in CL, there is no way for any reasonable person to conclude that you are the best team in the world. thanks for being civil and informative. to be honest, if you started trolling, well, we'd ban the living s*** out of you and think nothing of it! anyways, cheers! cheers.gif

I never said anything about us being the best TEAM in the world. I said CLUB, football club, including the history, the ups and downs, the level of recognition, the amout of great players through time, amount of great teams and amount of titles... rolleyes.gif
I do believe that today Barça are playing better than we are. Of course, by this time next year (if not before....) Mou will tear them apart.
No "trolling" intended here, as said before. Think i've been friendly, as you guys have. Just came to see what sort of fans you guys were. I'll leave when you want me to, as you obviously know. wink1.gif

#248 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:07

I personally could see nothing offensive, or any suggestions you were having a go at anyone Hotspur, I personally fully understood where you were coming from,. Just thought Id say how I saw it thats all.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#249 Guest_Hotspur_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:18

QUOTE (journeyman @ Apr 7 2011, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally could see nothing offensive, or any suggestions you were having a go at anyone Hotspur, I personally fully understood where you were coming from,. Just thought Id say how I saw it thats all.

Cheers mate. nice1.gif

I think 'most people' could see where I was coming from and were not offended in anyway.

#250 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:02

Na bother jimmee, could be more temptious times to come at the Lane.!!!

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#251 Guest_Lijien_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 14:38

don't really think it was offensive, also not needed to be put in pink and in large letters either, i can see how an admin might think you were getting a dig in.. either way as a former admin for a board that had 100+ active members, i think modding is most effective in private messages... otherwise you get the peanut gallery like me commenting wave.gif

#252 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:24

QUOTE (El Pichichi @ Apr 7 2011, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice analysis all around, amigo nice1.gif

At the absence of Pepe we won't be able to push up and press them as further as possible. Considering we play Barca on 16th and 20th of April it will be interesting to see if Xabi is going to play at White Hart Lane. The positive of 451 with 3 DMs is, that Khedira play the box to box role and doesn't participate in the build up too much, but Xabi maybe is going to be rested for this game.
Probable line up: Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Carvalho, Marcelo, Granero, Diarra, Khedira, Özil, Ronaldo, Adebayor.

No place for underestimation. Prepare the game like a final starting from 0-0 and try to get a positive result.

#253 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:29

QUOTE (SevenSteps2Kevin @ Apr 7 2011, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think any of us is deluded enough to believe we are the best team in the world. We are too young. Talent wise we probably have more than any other team but we are still a work in progress.

Of the last 8 teams left I personally preferred Chelsea or Inter because they are both old and slow teams who are past it now. The rest can all give us a game.

#254 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:31

QUOTE (Ooooh Redondo @ Apr 7 2011, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the absence of Pepe we won't be able to push up and press them as further as possible. Considering we play Barca on 16th and 20th of April it will be interesting to see if Xabi is going to play at White Hart Lane. The positive of 451 with 3 DMs is, that Khedira play the box to box role and doesn't participate in the build up too much, but Xabi maybe is going to be rested for this game.
Probable line up: Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Carvalho, Marcelo, Granero, Diarra, Khedira, Özil, Ronaldo, Adebayor.

No place for underestimation. Prepare the game like a final starting from 0-0 and try to get a positive result.

think your through redondo & congratulations fella Clapping.gif .. jose teams dont lose ties from 4-0 nil up!.. i hope we give you a better game though at the lane,hope you see a little bit of the real spurs. what we call a "glory glory" night... we wont sit back & i think you'll get plenty of chances next wedneday.

#255 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:35

QUOTE (old grey yid @ Apr 7 2011, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
think your through redondo & congratulations fella Clapping.gif .. jose teams dont lose ties from 4-0 nil up!.. i hope we give you a better game though at the lane,hope you see a little bit of the real spurs. what we call a "glory glory" night... we wont sit back & i think you'll get plenty of chances next wedneday.

You'll play much better in London now after the pressure is off which I thinks is what exactly prevented you from showing your true potential.

#256 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:51

I agree with the pressure thing, although I think you placed far too much emphasis on it, in your breakdown of the game. Most of the paragraphs being on pre game quotes and mind games.

The fact remains that we lost a player with electric pace just before kick off, which in turn threw the balance of our whole midfield out. Bale on left with Lennon on right and good centre mid partnership all messed with.

Being down to ten men inside ten minutes, also decreased our chance of applying any pressure for spells of the game. With 11 men, and a target to aim for with both wingers in place, it makes things very different.

We wouldn't have won obviously, but I firmly believe a 3-1 reverse would've been easily attainable, with the second leg still looking competitive.

#257 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:00

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 7 2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the pressure thing, although I think you placed far too much emphasis on it, in your breakdown of the game. Most of the paragraphs being on pre game quotes and mind games.

The fact remains that we lost a player with electric pace just before kick off, which in turn threw the balance of our whole midfield out. Bale on left with Lennon on right and good centre mid partnership all messed with.

Being down to ten men inside ten minutes, also decreased our chance of applying any pressure for spells of the game. With 11 men, and a target to aim for with both wingers in place, it makes things very different.

We wouldn't have won obviously, but I firmly believe a 3-1 reverse would've been easily attainable, with the second leg still looking competitive.

we get a goal early & the crowd baying for blood (especially the elephant washers) & its a pressure the madrid players wont feel comfortable with!!. & its game on,.. its ok having 80.000 supporters who sing a bit & make a little noise, but being near enough to see into 35.000 fans eyes close up & they all want your blood can do funny things to even the most accomplished player..

#258 Guest_Lijien_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:02

Well i think harry didn't balance the squad right when Lennon was unable to go.

Modric is a deep lying player, more a pizarro or pirlo, then an attacker like VDV or Messi..
So keeping the 4-5-1 with out lennon and bringing in Jenas was odd to me.. ruined the balance, which i think played a part in crouch being so isolated, which resulted in stupid decisions by him. Then going down a man to a team of Reals quality well it was over. I was hoping to get out of here with a 2-0 loss or 3-1 loss..
i would have went 4-4-2 with vdv on the right, and brought in pav who looked lively over the weekend and did well to track back. but such is life, at least now on the second leg we will be free to just do what we do..

#259 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 18:22

QUOTE (El Pichichi @ Apr 7 2011, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No "trolling" intended here, as said before. Think i've been friendly, as you guys have. Just came to see what sort of fans you guys were. I'll leave when you want me to, as you obviously know. wink1.gif

nah you guys are welcome to stay as long as you want. seems that everyone has taken pretty well to your presence here. we have a west ham fan and a gunner on here as well, and though at times contentious, its all part of the global community of football that makes it what it is.

#260 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 18:40

hotspur, thank you for your response.

i read every post on this board and can assure you that i know when you are quoting from your own material. you very much were and it is a dig directly at me.

i'm getting tired of you calling into question the loyalty of anybody who questions harry's performance (i.e. 'lunatics'). it's incendiary and disrespectful towards people who respect your point of view and don't call into question your own club loyalty over your seeming unflinching support of harry. not that i personally care what you think since it is your personal opinion, which to be clear, you have every right to, but when you start painting swaths of people in a negative light, it really pisses me off.

im done with this too, as long as you are, but i have a right to response as well if you take a swipe.

just to set the record straight, you absolutely did ask my help in clearing up facts over your recent spat with stephan and i publicly supported you. im just asking you to be consistent. thanks.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users