Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 Stoke City - Planet Spurs Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 Stoke City Saturday 9 April, KO: 15:00 GMT, White Hart Lane

#81 Guest_EuanW_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:12

I'm surprised by some of the comments here. I'm annoyed as anyone, that we made two mistakes to concede goals, and didn't quite get the fourth, BUT....

Our team has looked flat and horrible for a month or so. Today Bale looked close to being back in great form again. It's clearly coming for him, he was a constant danger, despite the mistake for their second goal.

Modric looked better than he has in about a month, his linking up with VDV/Pav was lovely and his running with the ball was sublime and incisive.

Disagree VDV didn't do enough defensively, apart from the first goal up our right hand side, they never threatened up that flank again, most of their play was up our left, AND VDV put in several attempted tackles. His defensive work led to our third goal. In fact, I'm literally dumbfounded you chose to mention that, Stephan.

Pav is working harder for us in the past month or so than he has ever done before. No goals today, but for two weeks in a row, his link up play was good, and he was drawing defenders out for Modric and VDV by making runs out wide all day. Plus, despite Pav's frailties, it really helps VDV and Modric to have a striker that drops off and likes the ball into his feet.

Hudd had a good return, so thats more good news

Crouch got some goals

Kaboul got through a game unscathed.

Lots to be happy with, just hope it isn't a couple of weeks late.

#82 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:46

Missed the first half and from 4.15 - 4.30pm of the second. i thought we were hanging on a bit at the end but hang on we did and that's all that matters. Two things...first, I agree that Hudd. should have been subbed towards the end; he was clearly getting knackered and Sandro was on the bench. Secondly, why do footballers give away stupid free-kicks in dangerous places when there is less than a minute to play? I thought Kaboul's foul on Jones was daft enough but what the h*ll was Bale doing right at the death? The Stoke player he shoved over did not have the ball under full control and was half facing away from our goal! I went apopletic with rage!
Anyway, we were drinking in the last chance saloon today but we still have an outside chance of fourth so...job done. grinny.gif

#83 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:54

as said previously for the first time in a while we looked very lively going forward smile.gif we look shaky at the back though, i think that dawson has hit a slight dip in form, we all know he isnt the quickest player but he usually makes up for it with excellent positioning however i think last couple of weeks hes been very flat footed and slightly out of position, cant help playing with a different cb partner each week though!
thought ekotto had one of his poor games again!

but seriously thats just picky, we played well today!
huddlestone looked class, modric too, vdv looked decent out on the right and bale looked like he was coming back to form. that could well be our best midfield now as much as i hate to leave lennon out!

#84 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 09 April 2011 - 19:52

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 9 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised by some of the comments here. I'm annoyed as anyone, that we made two mistakes to concede goals, and didn't quite get the fourth, BUT....

Our team has looked flat and horrible for a month or so. Today Bale looked close to being back in great form again. It's clearly coming for him, he was a constant danger, despite the mistake for their second goal.

Modric looked better than he has in about a month, his linking up with VDV/Pav was lovely and his running with the ball was sublime and incisive.

Disagree VDV didn't do enough defensively, apart from the first goal up our right hand side, they never threatened up that flank again, most of their play was up our left, AND VDV put in several attempted tackles. His defensive work led to our third goal. In fact, I'm literally dumbfounded you chose to mention that, Stephan.

Pav is working harder for us in the past month or so than he has ever done before. No goals today, but for two weeks in a row, his link up play was good, and he was drawing defenders out for Modric and VDV by making runs out wide all day. Plus, despite Pav's frailties, it really helps VDV and Modric to have a striker that drops off and likes the ball into his feet.

Hudd had a good return, so thats more good news

Crouch got some goals

Kaboul got through a game unscathed.

Lots to be happy with, just hope it isn't a couple of weeks late.

I was working today so never saw this match, although i was getting up dates on the radio.

Strange that Euan's post above is the only mention of Crouch on the entire thread.

I haven't seen any of the goals, but he should be mentioned for not hiding after Madrid Clapping.gif

Very nice to get a win, and i understand that Pav got 2 assists today Clapping.gif

#85 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 09 April 2011 - 21:46

Good to have big Tom back solid in midfield, can't blame him for getting skinned by Etherington it was his first match back for ages. Also pleased to see Younes back, great heading ability that we've missed. Good performances today, hopefully monday nights result will be as equally as good.

COYS!

#86 Guest_SevenSteps2Kevin_*

Posted 09 April 2011 - 23:35

i thought it was a pretty good game.

of course the two goals we conceded were poor- first one in particular, etherington has no business scoring a goal on us like that!

other than that, hudd return was exceptional. we have missed his passing range immensely as well as his size. thought kaboul was excellent again. the more i see of kaboul the more i know hes our starting CB along with dawson eventually. charlie was good as well. maybe if vdv isn't fit at some point we can try hudd and sandro in the middle with the croatians on the right ie modders and charlie- i bet they would be a great combination!

thought the play was excellent today. we got goals and pav and crouch is a viable partnership. great work.

i don't know whats going to happen to lennon but we didn't miss him too much today. glad to see a solid game today heading into the meat grinder. we can still make something out of this season but we're gonna have to do it the hard way!

#87 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:19

... looks like hudd has been doing his rehab at the donut factory. He looks twice the player he was when i saw him last and i'm not talking about his ability.

Better book a month at the fat farm for big tom.

... but good to have him back, even better when there is less of him.

#88 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:32

QUOTE (aussispurs @ Apr 10 2011, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... looks like hudd has been doing his rehab at the donut factory. He looks twice the player he was when i saw him last and i'm not talking about his ability.

Better book a month at the fat farm for big tom.

... but good to have him back, even better when there is less of him.

Give the guy a break he's been out since November! You know MacD's is quite appealing in this harsh financial climate. grinny.gif

#89 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:32

Morning chaps!

Didn't see the game yesterday but did catch the highlights on MOTD. Good to see us back amongst the goals, looked to me like we benefitted from a little more width, Pav running the channels and Modders pushing on ever so slightly more than he has done recently, probably a side effect of having Hudd back in the team.

As others have suggested, we've missed Hudd's distribution and ability to deliver telling balls into key areas - great to have him back, even if it looks like he's reintroduced the ketchup into his diet.

Shame about some slack play for their goals but in fairness they were very well taken. Bit fortunate Gomes got a finger on that cross to stop Walters getting a third.

Pleased for Crouchy as well - two good finishes and I could never stay angry at him for too long biggrin.gif

Crouch/Pav to start together more regularly until the end of the season?

#90 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:34

For those who only saw MOTD, here's some extras.....

Modric watch. Don't know why its just first half though....

#91 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:21

Cheers Euan nice1.gif
He loves that little crossfield ball with the outside of his right foot

#92 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:48

Quality Euan, Modric's arguably more important to us than Bale or VDV as he is more a consistent performer. Think the return of Hudd helps though, adds physical authority and silk to the midfield alongside him, plus the quality of his balls over the top immediately launches us from the back foot into a full blown counter-attack. Much underrated by some.
Amazing when you look at the coverage that Luka had more time on the ball to work his magic, obviously the man short didn't help but essentially Real Madrid are now pressing harder than Stoke away - guess that's Mourinho for you... grinny.gif rolleyes.gif

#93 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:57

I think Modric and Huddlestone compliment eachother very well. They are both links to the strikers and I think with both of them playing we can afford to go with VDV and a striker. VDV on the right is a waste of a player and etheringtons goal showed why he cant be put there. Corluka had the whole right side to himself and although he did pretty well I would rather we not play that formation. I think our best team right now should look like this:

Gomes
Corluka Gallas/Kaboul Dawson BAE
Lennon Huddlestone Modric Bale
VDV
Crouch

Although Pav did well with 2 assists I think VDV needs to be encouraged to get into the box more and play off of crouch like he did so succesfully in the first half of the season.
The 2 goals we conceded were etherington running down our right side (weakened as VDV was always cutting in) and a mistake by Bale that jones capitalised on brilliantly.

Was good to see the spurs back and well forgive the 2 goals because that was a much needed 3 points in the bag. Hope lennon comes back soon and we can begin to use that pace on both wings again. Also with hudd to supply them both with balls we can play better football i hope.

#94 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:03

Good result!! Though a little nervy, but thats the Spurs way isn't it??

modric was utter class in this game and Hudd showed how much we have missed him!!

Also, shout out to Pav and Crouch, our best front two it would seem!! I also agrre with whoever said that VDV on right instead of Lennon gives us better balance and also Lennon off the bench is a game changing option??!!

COYS, may this win be the start of something very special!! praying.gif

#95 Guest_stoxy1_*

Posted 11 April 2011 - 13:55

i think huddlestone allows vdv to play alot further up the pitch aswell. if you watched the games while hudd was out vdv was often playing in our own half trying to dictate the play by spraying balls around. with hudd in the side he takes control of that allowing vdv to get in nice positions in and around the box allowing him to influence our play more!

#96 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 11 April 2011 - 19:29

QUOTE (stoxy1 @ Apr 11 2011, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think huddlestone allows vdv to play alot further up the pitch aswell. if you watched the games while hudd was out vdv was often playing in our own half trying to dictate the play by spraying balls around. with hudd in the side he takes control of that allowing vdv to get in nice positions in and around the box allowing him to influence our play more!

Good post, didn't spot that. Clapping.gif

#97 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 20:08

You know what I been thinking about that too, tho Hudd is not exactly a world beater, he seems to allow the rest of the team to play better, and I agree that VDV was in much more dangerous areas of the pitch than he had been of late!! Well spotted mate!!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users