Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Real Madrid - Planet Spurs Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Real Madrid Wednesday 13 April, KO: 19:45 GMT, White Hart Lane

#21 Guest_EuanW_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 22:40

You definitely know your football Ooh Redondo, but I think your previews/reviews are too heavy on cold and clinical facts and theory. Luckily, football is also full of emotion, thousands of intangibles and affected by atmosphere, mental determination and momentum.

Be it folly or not, and if we get momentum going early, we will come at you and attack you with an energy and tempo that you rarely face from year to year. To this end, I think you underrate us somewhat, which is completely understandable since we failed to perform at all in the first leg.

In having Mourinho, and the players he has crafted together, you are in far better shape to not get taken by surprise and blasted open by the PL pace, these days. However, IF we do get early momentum, it can be fierce to have Bale and Lennon coming at you from the wings, released early by Huddlestone ( who btw is literally one of the best passers of a ball in Europe up there with the likes of Alonso), and to combine that with the craft and guile of Modric.

I just hope we do ourselves justice and show you what we are capable of. There is no way in h*ll we will sit back and try to win the game late on, unless you have us by the throat and are pinning us back without choice. Trust me, our players will use every last drop of energy to give WHL a performance to be proud of, after the first leg, and a good signing off note to our first CL campaign. This is not the kind of mentality you can manufacture, hence why I expect us to start fast, as our players will be more full of adrenalin, and will have a far more aggressive mindset than your boys

#22 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 11 April 2011 - 23:34

Did my comments so far gave you the impression I underestimated Spurs?

My main point is; do not expect an open game as we are not going to give you one. If you think Spurs can dominate us this is altogether a different matter.

Spurs is not something we don't have in our league, I will be more worried about facing Navas and Perrotti than facing Bale and Lennon. In fact Spurs is lightweight flair team that can pass for a Spanish side. Siding 3 DMs we will ensure your brilliant attacking force is kept at bay. Hopefully I'm wrong but expect a boring game.

#23 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 11 April 2011 - 23:55

Ha, I had a feeling you would reference Sevilla. As we previously said, they are the one team that are most like Spurs, in the Spanish league. Hence why I left it as you 'rarely' facing a team like us.

I think you are right in that you will try to keep the game stuffy and tight, but we have nothing to lose and will push forward as much as possible. Our stadium is tight and close to the pitch and generates an electrically close and intense atmosphere before we even get going forward. By our very nature, we will attack and leave ourselves open. I expect that you will not be able to resist being drawn into an end to end game, despite Mourinho. You rightfully won't fear us, and will be confident of getting goals, so I reckon the game could end up stretched and quite open at points, even with Mourinho probably trying to reign you in. You have players who are emotional and will respond to the atmosphere.

I don't think you underestimate us per se, however, I think you underestimate the whole package of WHL, particularly on European nights. Spurs are notorious for playing attacking football with wreckless abandon. It is the philosophy upon which, our whole club is based upon. We won't care about conceding goals, as long as we 'dare to do' and play open and expansive football which sees us scoring also. The whole history of Spurs, leads me to believe this game will see a shower of goals, and I'm sure you can appreciate my line of thinking, given the romance involved in the storied history of your club. Arsenal and Chelsea haven't beaten us here, in a meaningful game, in quite a few seasons now and we've lost only once here this season, and only twice EVER in 70 odd European games. You may become the third, but we won't go down without a flourish.

I'll now be massively disappointed if we don't show you exactly what I'm talking about !

#24 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 00:54

Everything Euan says here is bang on, and at this point no sane Spurs fan seriously thinks this tie is winnable anymore - our average supporter is a fairly knowledgable on their football and we know Mourinho well, there's nothing anyone can tell us about his approach. We know exactly what to expect from him.
There is a strong possibility we could rush out to a 2 or 3-0 lead in this one however, before getting pegged back whilst looking for more. Maybe we're wrong but I don't think the prediction of a good game and goals a plenty is far fetched. Possibly a glorious 4-3 failure or a 3-3 draw...
Here's to a good game anyway Redondo and your fellow Madridistas! cheers.gif

#25 Guest_White_Hart_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:02

QUOTE (Ooooh Redondo @ Apr 11 2011, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We conceding 3 is impossible. 1 at most, if Marcelo start as a winger with Arbeloa on the left and Ronaldo up top we will congest the centre and won't allow you to breathe. Pepe missing means we won't be able to impose our high pressing football

----------Casillas-----------
Ramos-Albiol-Carvalho-Arbeloa
-----------Alonso------ ------
Özil--Khedira--Diarra--Marcelo
----------Ronaldo------------

If we start like this you should expect a very long and frustrating night.

I think Adebayor will start because he will be fired up for this one and in fairness he deserves to start after the 1st game
Probable formation

----------Casillas-----------
Arbeloa-Ramos-Carvalho-Marcelo
-----------Alonso---- --------
Özil--Khedira--Diarra--Ronaldo
----------Adebayor------------

According to Kaká his knee is better, Di María is tired, both won't start but may appear later on, Higuaín's not ready to play 2 games per week, he may come on as a sub later in the game too, Benz is going to be fit, for the sake of the fans that will attend the game and football itself I hope Benz play instead of Ade because Benz is in form and he's a spectacle.

I normally guess our starting 11 but this time I don't think anybody will guess the exact formation we are going to play. Attacking us will depend on our formation, in any case attacking us is very ambitious and dangerous. We have few players who need to prove a point due to the high 1st team competition, Spurs will need to make a case for themselves but this may backfire.

Getting obsessed with beating us will turn out to be a bad plan. I think Spurs' best shot is to sit back and wait for their moment on the counter. We will look to avoid injuries and getting tired so the last 20/30 minutes is when Spurs should try and win the game. Going for it right from the kick off is too dangerous.

I think you underestimate Tottenham Hotspur FC ...

You aren't an unbeatable team by any means, RM have some great world class players, but so do Arsenal and Chelsea and we see them off the pitch on our day, which is normally when the odds are against us and we have nothing to lose, which I believe that situation occurs at WHL second leg.

It would be foolish to believe that you can handle Bale and Lennon if the fire is lit and they are on form!

I don't give a cr@p about RM if I'm honest, they are just another Man City/Chelsea that believe they are unbeatable, when infact they aren't. Let them try and play a full season in the prem and lets see some of the results against the Stokes and the Wolves ...

Fek RM, bring them on and let the dogs loose, man for man, toe to toe and lets see who is still standing! Tottenham show more heart than RM could ever wish to have and we don't rely on money to do so, if we did then look out CL and Prem titles.

It was bad luck in Spain that left us 4 - 0, but RM certainly didn't look very impressive, not like Barca look!

Our only let down, will be our men upfront, can they perform? Maybe, maybe not ..

#26 Guest_obi_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:14

I don't give a cr@p about RM if I'm honest, they are just another Man City/Chelsea that believe they are unbeatable, when infact they aren't. Let them try and play a full season in the prem and lets see some of the results against the Stokes and the Wolves ...

can't agree with this sentiment. they surely are not just another chelski or man city. check the history books and you will know. only reason why their current team is not praised all over the world is that barca happens to have maybe the best ever team assembled in the same time...

i also expect us to give it a good fight. the problem i see is that we can't keep, most likely, them at 0 goals. if they start scoring before us it might break our back.

3-2 or 3-3 is my prediction.

#27 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:26

QUOTE (old grey yid @ Apr 11 2011, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agree!! 3 up top from kick off ... bale lennon pushing right up alongside pav in the center

modric & vdv in behind with sandro & thudd kicking lumps out of em if they try to get out of thier own half grinny.gif

what the h*ll.. nothing to lose... i think we'll go out on a high winning 5-2 shock.gif & jose in the aftermatch interview revealing he's our manager next year wtf.gif getyacoat.gif

Nice one mate, love it.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#28 Guest_El Pichichi_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:41

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 12 2011, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha, I had a feeling you would reference Sevilla. As we previously said, they are the one team that are most like Spurs, in the Spanish league. Hence why I left it as you 'rarely' facing a team like us.

I think you are right in that you will try to keep the game stuffy and tight, but we have nothing to lose and will push forward as much as possible. Our stadium is tight and close to the pitch and generates an electrically close and intense atmosphere before we even get going forward. By our very nature, we will attack and leave ourselves open. I expect that you will not be able to resist being drawn into an end to end game, despite Mourinho. You rightfully won't fear us, and will be confident of getting goals, so I reckon the game could end up stretched and quite open at points, even with Mourinho probably trying to reign you in. You have players who are emotional and will respond to the atmosphere.

I don't think you underestimate us per se, however, I think you underestimate the whole package of WHL, particularly on European nights. Spurs are notorious for playing attacking football with wreckless abandon. It is the philosophy upon which, our whole club is based upon. We won't care about conceding goals, as long as we 'dare to do' and play open and expansive football which sees us scoring also. The whole history of Spurs, leads me to believe this game will see a shower of goals, and I'm sure you can appreciate my line of thinking, given the romance involved in the storied history of your club. Arsenal and Chelsea haven't beaten us here, in a meaningful game, in quite a few seasons now and we've lost only once here this season, and only twice EVER in 70 odd European games. You may become the third, but we won't go down without a flourish.

I'll now be massively disappointed if we don't show you exactly what I'm talking about !

Don't really think Redondo, or any other Madridista, or Mou and the players are underestimating Tottenham. In fact, the assumption (is this the word..?) that Madrid will play a strong side against you guys, meaning to close down spaces in midfield, trying not to allow yourselves chances of play, is a real sign of respect! Especially after a 4-0 win in first round. We respect your players and their desire to turn it around, your fans and their frustration, the pressure they will put on us - that is why we are putting in a strong side and setting instructions to carefully not allowing you to play. That is respect, not underestimating...
How many teams would not consider this one a done deal and play this one as if we were going to win it 4-0 again, taking it for granted? But not us, not Madrid, not Mou - we will play a strong side and give our players orders to play as if we had not won first round. That's what makes big teams big.

I don't think it is over for you guys yet. Not that it is very likely that you can overcome the first result, but anything is possible. I really think the first 20/30 minutes will be crucial. If we can hold your initial desire and cut it, we will have a very relaxed night. If you continue to try and push after the initial 20/30 minutes, you will suffer goals and you will eventually lose it again.
If you want to beat us by 5-0, pusshing forward the whole game, you will not be able to, and will end up suffering goals yourselves. But if you want to erase the bad image from first game, you must try and hold up the play and go for it near the end of match, maybe winning it 1-0..

And i'm sorry to say to you guys, i know you think that way because it is your fans, but the fan's pressure is no differet in your stadium that in any other well supported stadium. You play in turkey, you play in greece, serbia, croatia, even portugal, and fans are as noisy as you guys..and there are places where players can fear for their security.. But top class players deliver in these stadiums as well as they deliver in empty stadiums with no atmosphere - and it actually drives them forward even more! So, i really don't think that issue will make that big a differece...

As Redondo said, expect a boring match, since the respect we have on your team will force us to be cautious. I hope we are wrong and it turns out a great game, though nice1.gif

#29 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:23

It would be a tad Naive on our part to expect a four/five nil victory from the outset in this game, but that unlikelyhood could soon turn into a possiblity if we are able to have a very strong start to the game!! As has been mentioned, the first 20/30 mins will be all important in this game!! I expect us to go at Madrid with everything we have and if we can get perhaps two goals this will serve to unsettle Real and put us back in with a chance!! Football = anything can happen and if we are able to get 2-0 up in the first half, the belief will begin to run through our team whilst in the same vein will have the Madrid players on edge!!
Thats what we have to hope for, and if you set out a defensive minded team this will only aid our cause IMHO!!

In terms of tactics from a Spurs point of view I have been trying to imagine what team/ formation will work bst for us in the scenario we find ourselves going in to Wednesdays game!! For me, I feel this is the team that gives us the best cahnce:

Gomes
Kaboul Gallas Dawson Bale

Hudd Sandro

Lennon VDV Modric

Pav.

We will need to have all our attacking options on the field, and that may mean Bale reverting to left back, with him and Kaboul both able to bomb up and down the pitch from full back in support of the attacking talents of Modric, VDV and Lennon (Who has a point to prove) Having Hudd and Sandro in front of the defence will allow us to play this way and I hope Harry thinks the same!!

Any thoughts??

#30 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:42

QUOTE (El Pichichi @ Apr 12 2011, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't really think Redondo, or any other Madridista, or Mou and the players are underestimating Tottenham. In fact, the assumption (is this the word..?) that Madrid will play a strong side against you guys, meaning to close down spaces in midfield, trying not to allow yourselves chances of play, is a real sign of respect! Especially after a 4-0 win in first round. We respect your players and their desire to turn it around, your fans and their frustration, the pressure they will put on us - that is why we are putting in a strong side and setting instructions to carefully not allowing you to play. That is respect, not underestimating...
How many teams would not consider this one a done deal and play this one as if we were going to win it 4-0 again, taking it for granted? But not us, not Madrid, not Mou - we will play a strong side and give our players orders to play as if we had not won first round. That's what makes big teams big.

I don't think it is over for you guys yet. Not that it is very likely that you can overcome the first result, but anything is possible. I really think the first 20/30 minutes will be crucial. If we can hold your initial desire and cut it, we will have a very relaxed night. If you continue to try and push after the initial 20/30 minutes, you will suffer goals and you will eventually lose it again.
If you want to beat us by 5-0, pusshing forward the whole game, you will not be able to, and will end up suffering goals yourselves. But if you want to erase the bad image from first game, you must try and hold up the play and go for it near the end of match, maybe winning it 1-0..

And i'm sorry to say to you guys, i know you think that way because it is your fans, but the fan's pressure is no differet in your stadium that in any other well supported stadium. You play in turkey, you play in greece, serbia, croatia, even portugal, and fans are as noisy as you guys..and there are places where players can fear for their security.. But top class players deliver in these stadiums as well as they deliver in empty stadiums with no atmosphere - and it actually drives them forward even more! So, i really don't think that issue will make that big a differece...

As Redondo said, expect a boring match, since the respect we have on your team will force us to be cautious. I hope we are wrong and it turns out a great game, though nice1.gif

At no point anywhere, did I say Mourinho or Madrid players were underestimating us. As for the bolded part, I really dont think your getting it - we just won't do it ! We'd rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0. 1-0 boring match wouldn't erase the image of the first game !

I also didnt use our atmosphere as a sign that we'd win. But rather that it could draw the teams into playing a more open game. You just said yourself 'it actually drives them forward even more'. Go back and look at what I actually said !

Also, I can't say I agree with most of White Hart's post.

And yeah, Special Yid, I quite like that formation, its the one Kevin wants us to use as well for all games. I like Bale playing at LB and attacking them from deeper.

#31 Guest_El Pichichi_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:12

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 12 2011, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At no point anywhere, did I say Mourinho or Madrid players were underestimating us. As for the bolded part, I really dont think your getting it - we just won't do it ! We'd rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0. 1-0 boring match wouldn't erase the image of the first game !

I also didnt use our atmosphere as a sign that we'd win. But rather that it could draw the teams into playing a more open game. You just said yourself 'it actually drives them forward even more'. Go back and look at what I actually said !

Also, I can't say I agree with most of White Hart's post.

And yeah, Special Yid, I quite like that formation, its the one Kevin wants us to use as well for all games. I like Bale playing at LB and attacking them from deeper.

Sorry EuanW, as i replied directly to your post while i meant to reply to several opinions here. nice1.gif

That is fair - you didn't say Mou or the players underestimate Tottenham. I was just trying to point out that i don't think the other madridista poster Redondo does either. Certain posts (not your own) were implying that..but he can obviosly speak for him self.. rolleyes.gif

As for your response to bolded part, i understand now. Your goal is to make the right exhibition more than getting the right result. That will lift your spirits, even if you end up losing again. Noble. Clapping.gif

As for atmosphere in stadium, again i was replying to you, but with other posts in mind. old grey yid said this on other thred:
QUOTE (old grey yid @ Apr 7 2011, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we get a goal early & the crowd baying for blood (especially the elephant washers) & its a pressure the madrid players wont feel comfortable with!!. & its game on,.. its ok having 80.000 supporters who sing a bit & make a little noise, but being near enough to see into 35.000 fans eyes close up & they all want your blood can do funny things to even the most accomplished player..

..and i wanted to point out the things i did in my previous post. Just saying we wouldn't be scared of the atmosphere, and would be up for it even more.

But a great atmosphere does not necessarilly drive a team to attack more, it drives them to give more of themselves, to fight for every ball - even if the instructions are for defending and passing the ball around.
So, i don't really think the atmosphere will influence how attacking we will be.

#32 Guest_The Slikmeister_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 15:23

I have read the posts made by both RM fans on this thread & have to say that as far as cold, hard facts go their assessment of how they expect this game to pan out make a lot of sense.
That said I dont think its gonna go quite the way both of them are predicting.
Above all things I am a realist & although I dont think we will turn around the 4 goal deficit I do believe that we will win this one infront of our own crowd & at the very least bow out of this seasons CL competition with a little of our pride restored.
I was their last Tues night & it wasnt pretty. I think RM have some great players & that they have a great team but I didnt think they beat us by playing in a 'great' way.
Just about everything thing that could have possibily gone wrong for us on the night did.
Lennon pulling a sicky, A horrendously defended & easily avoidable goal conceeded inside 4 mins, Crouch loosing it & seeing red & finally Gomes dropping off big time when beaten at his near post for their 4th.
Basically last week we got the s*** end of the stick big style & I honestly cant see a repeated sequence of such rotten luck being repeated tomorrow night.
As for our line-up I expect Spurs to line up in a 4-4-2 formation.
Gomes is a liability, drop him!
IMO leaving out BAE & putting Bale in at LB is a bad move, him & Bale work brilliantly together down our left so i'd play both.
Ditto Corluka & Lennon, they are our best pairing down our right.
Last season our best CM pairing was the Thudd & Modric, they compliment each other superbly so although Sandro has been excellant for us of late I'd bench him for this one cos at 0-4 starting with an out & out DM would be a negative move.
Since returning from injury VdV has consistantly underperformed. Although Defoe aint been much better I'd bench the dutchman & take a chance on the little fella up front with Pav.
Last season we played some of our best football with this formation & most of these players.
My eleven is...................

..................................Cudicini

Corluka...........Dawson. ..............Kaboul..............BAE

Lennon.........Huddlestone.............Modric.............Bale

....................Pavlyuchenko..........Defoe

COYS!!!

#33 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 15:54

I like Stoxy's ( I think) point about Huddlestone and VDV. VDV played further up the pitch from right midfield on Sat, than he has done in the past as a second striker, without Huddlestone in the team. Huddlestone doesn't sit as deep as Sandro and likes to get on the ball more in advanced positions. With him in the team, our possession is better, further up the field with him and Modric as a base, and VDV naturally ends up closer to the box. I'd go with a 4-4-1-1, with our midfield back to Lennon, Huddlestone, Modric and Bale. A very attacking midfield that has the central pairing to get a hold of the ball. Play VDV up front with either Pav or Defoe...

Gomes

Kaboul
Dawson
Gallas
Ekotto

Lennon
Modric
Huddlestone
Bale

VDV
Defoe/Pav

I know Harry won't put Kaboul at right back over Corluka, but I like him there and he has more pace than Charlie, plus he likes to get forward.

#34 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 16:52

Good discussion guys,

The Mardid boys do have some very valid points, but as said before we will not be trying to win this 1-0 even if it ends up that way.

VDV cannot play on the right in a 4-4-2 for this one, Madrid are to clever and would exploit his lack of defending. I prefer the wingers to be Bale and Lennon, have a go but don't commit suicide early on. As soon as Madrid score (and they will) the faint dream will evaporate instantly, keep them out and see if we can nick 1 or 2 before half-time. Only then do we have any chance what so ever.

Can't agree with dropping Gomes for Cudicini, one has the abillity to be brilliant (and he will need one of those games) the other dosen't.

I believe that if we start with Pav, Madrid will come out and press to try and make us go long to Pav (pointless) but if we start with Defoe they will sit deeper to nullify his pace. I'm not sure what 2 to go with out of VDV, Pav and Defoe

Kaboul Gallas Daws at the back for the 2nd half anyone? 3-4-3? Crouch would have been handy for this

#35 Guest_Lijien_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 16:55

If you have lennon then you need to have Corluka imo, they combine the nest on the right wing. I Think we will do the 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 or what ever else.. but i am sad and worried to say it will have to be with defoe sad.gif

Defoe is back shoulder guy to run the channels and keep the defenders honest, while pav recently has tracked back to receive the ball the work in the build up. I would rather have pav on, as defoe has been wretched.

Sad day when i miss Crouch as our best striker.

#36 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 17:48

I know what your saying about crouchy but he does seem unplayable to a lot of teams, and will be greatly missed tomorrow.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#37 Guest_Lijien_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 18:23

not only that, but he seems the most dangerous, and the one who works best with the rest of the set up

#38 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 19:40

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13056522.stm

I like the belief but...come on.

#39 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 20:40

QUOTE (Stephan @ Apr 12 2011, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

l0l

but i like modric's words

#40 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 20:50

What else can he say? Don't bother turning up because i'm gonna field an under strength side because we haven't a hope in h*ll.

Might as well get on the dream express untill its official. At least go out trying, everyone deserves a fanfare as this tournament has been a success on so many levels.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users