Planet Spurs Forums: UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Real Madrid - Planet Spurs Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UEFA Champions League (Quarter Finals): Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Real Madrid Wednesday 13 April, KO: 19:45 GMT, White Hart Lane

#41 Guest_Raj_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 21:29

Yeh true its been great.

I'm deffp gona watch as im sure we'l get goals and make an entertaining match

#42 Guest_dannymc_*

Posted 12 April 2011 - 23:25

lets face it the tie is over,lets just go out and give it a go as harry said,then beat the arse next week and put the final nail in theire premiership coffin !!!! cheers.gif crest.gif

#43 Guest_Crazy Yiddo_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:30

I think it would indeed take a miracle to progress in this tie, something truly incredible would have to happen. If it was any other team bar Mourinho's Real Madrid I would harbour some madman's hope but not even that is enough. Mourinho knows what to do. Frustrate and counter, deflate the crowd, kill the atmosphere as quickly as possible.

Madrid will score, no doubt. However with Bale & Lennon we can definitely cause damage, as long as we are a bit smarter with the ball than not at all (like the first leg). Having Huddlestone back will be a massive boost in this respect if he can get time on the ball to spread the ball around in his daisy cutting fashion

We aren't going to go through unless said miracle occurs but it would be nice to win and make the scoreline a bit more respectable. I think that's the best we can hope for, realistically. In some ways it would be for the best...I dread to think how badly Barca would r*pe us haha

At any rate we can be proud of the team for the progress made in the first ever Champions League campaign at Spurs. Let's give the lads a rocking atmosphere and hope we can at least win the second leg. crest.gif

#44 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:02

Read a good lil article by Garth Crooks this morning!! He was saying how Mourinho had a bit of a dilema in terms of the number of big players Real have on a yellow card!! Will he risk those players and play a strong team, knowing they could well miss the Barca semi, or will he save them thinking they are already through, and field a weaker team against us?? Lets hope for the latter!!

Still so up for this game, just without the nerves/expectation!!! COYS!! Batter em!!

#45 Guest_El Pichichi_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:47

QUOTE (special yid @ Apr 13 2011, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read a good lil article by Garth Crooks this morning!! He was saying how Mourinho had a bit of a dilema in terms of the number of big players Real have on a yellow card!! Will he risk those players and play a strong team, knowing they could well miss the Barca semi, or will he save them thinking they are already through, and field a weaker team against us?? Lets hope for the latter!!

Still so up for this game, just without the nerves/expectation!!! COYS!! Batter em!!

Mou rested six players in this weekend's match for la liga, thinking about this game at Tottenham and the the cominga games against Barça. On the bench were Marcelo, Carvalho, Ozil, Cristiano, Adebayor and Xabi... So, he is not thinking of putting in a weaker side because of yellow cards. He said these players that were on bench last game will play this one.

He actually said that players "have to be intelligent and not concede yellow cards", that it's a "tricky situation", but he's "not going to swap players because of yellow cards", he says he will "choose the starting eleven he thinks is the best possible".

Players at risk of ban are Albiol, Carvalho, Ramos, Di María and Cristiano.

I'm beggining to think that not having Pepe in this game is actually better for Madrid. We will be forced not to play so high up the pitch, because of his absence, sitting in deeper defensive positions. That way, and not having the absolute need to score, we can seat back and be less exposed to your electric pace on the wing sides. Our full backs will be less prone to be caught off guard by Lennon or Bale, that way. Providing our defensive midfielders give good cover, of course...

We playing deeper will not suit your style of play, I think. Don't know what striker of yours will play, but if it is Defoe, with us playing deeper he will have less chances to score. Knowing Madrid will play deeper defense, if i was you I would play Pavlyuchenko (as Crouch not available). Madrid central defenders would have more trouble that way, I think..

Excited, friends? How many going to the game? nice1.gif

#46 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:09

Well not that I think you could beat Barca anyway, but without Di Maria Ronaldo Alonso?? No chance, so I guess they will be playing witht the fear of being booked and missing that game?? Eitherway, if they play or not, its a small positive for us and we need everything we can get!! praying.gif

#47 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:21

QUOTE (El Pichichi @ Apr 13 2011, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm beggining to think that not having Pepe in this game is actually better for Madrid. We will be forced not to play so high up the pitch, because of his absence, sitting in deeper defensive positions. That way, and not having the absolute need to score, we can seat back and be less exposed to your electric pace on the wing sides. Our full backs will be less prone to be caught off guard by Lennon or Bale, that way. Providing our defensive midfielders give good cover, of course...

We playing deeper will not suit your style of play, I think. Don't know what striker of yours will play, but if it is Defoe, with us playing deeper he will have less chances to score. Knowing Madrid will play deeper defense, if i was you I would play Pavlyuchenko (as Crouch not available). Madrid central defenders would have more trouble that way, I think..

Inclined to agree with you on that one, El Pichichi. Typically, we've struggled in the league against sides who play deep with bodies behind the ball, finding it really hard to break them down. Real are under no obligation to push forward or throw bodies into attack tonight, I think Mourinho will be aware of our trouble in breaking down teams who play deep and will set up to keep us out.
That said, if we were able to sneek an early goal then Real would feel under just a little pressure if they sit deep and let us have a lot of the ball. That's the only way I see it being an interesting game in terms of the tie as a whole. Personally I hope, like others have said, that we go out all guns blazing and see what we can get on the night. Would be nice just to sneak a win but I think we'll be done on the counter - i'm going for 2-2.

#48 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:34

Different way of looking at it -

The ONLY way we could go through in this tie, is if Madrid sit back deep, we get 2 goals early, and Madrid's house of cards begin to fall, end result 5-0. That is honestly the only way we could go through.

As soon as Madrid score, its completely done. You could suggest that the worst tactic possible for Madrid, is to choose the only one that gives us the remotest of chances. Sitting back deep. If Madrid attack us, like we will them, they will score. Tie over.

#49 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 13:26

ive got my seat booked on that dream express.

My line up is
Keeper, two full backs, one man on halfway line, and SEVEN UP FRONT, might as well got nowt to loose, if we dont win 5-0 or greater we are out anyway, so what the h*ll lets just go for it and enjoy our selves. wave.gif nice1.gif dancing.gif cheers.gif
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#50 Guest_White_Hart_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 13:32

Not been bothered about this game since it felt like we were done, but now it's here I'm getting that itchy feeling like we can do something!

#51 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:10

QUOTE (White_Hart @ Apr 12 2011, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you underestimate Tottenham Hotspur FC ...

How did you come to this conclusion? If you followed the discussion you wouldn't have come to this conclusion, I am surprised Euan mentioned underestimating in his post as well.

Among many other things I said:

QUOTE (Ooooh Redondo @ Apr 7 2011, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No place for underestimation. Prepare the game like a final starting from 0-0 and try to get a positive result

You can have a look in the other match thread. Madrid's fans and press give Spurs more credit than Spurs' fans and the British media give Real Madrid. I can assure you on this.

QUOTE (White_Hart @ Apr 12 2011, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't give a cr@p about RM if I'm honest, they are just another Man City/Chelsea that believe they are unbeatable, when infact they aren't.

Technically while you are correct to certain extent, if you look in the bigger picture you will see Spurs is more like Chelsea and Man City than Real Madrid. We are not allowed the use of private money and we basically spend what we earn. Once the fair play rules come into use we will not be affected but benefit from it unlike the teams you mentioned which kind of back up my claim that we are not exactly like them. While you would like to have the kind of money we have at your disposal, Charlton or the skint Palace would love to have the kind of money you have.

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/...llion_euros.htm

#52 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:14

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 12 2011, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha, I had a feeling you would reference Sevilla. As we previously said, they are the one team that are most like Spurs, in the Spanish league. Hence why I left it as you 'rarely' facing a team like us.

I think you are right in that you will try to keep the game stuffy and tight, but we have nothing to lose and will push forward as much as possible. Our stadium is tight and close to the pitch and generates an electrically close and intense atmosphere before we even get going forward. By our very nature, we will attack and leave ourselves open. I expect that you will not be able to resist being drawn into an end to end game, despite Mourinho. You rightfully won't fear us, and will be confident of getting goals, so I reckon the game could end up stretched and quite open at points, even with Mourinho probably trying to reign you in. You have players who are emotional and will respond to the atmosphere.

I don't think you underestimate us per se, however, I think you underestimate the whole package of WHL, particularly on European nights. Spurs are notorious for playing attacking football with wreckless abandon. It is the philosophy upon which, our whole club is based upon. We won't care about conceding goals, as long as we 'dare to do' and play open and expansive football which sees us scoring also. The whole history of Spurs, leads me to believe this game will see a shower of goals, and I'm sure you can appreciate my line of thinking, given the romance involved in the storied history of your club. Arsenal and Chelsea haven't beaten us here, in a meaningful game, in quite a few seasons now and we've lost only once here this season, and only twice EVER in 70 odd European games. You may become the third, but we won't go down without a flourish.

I'll now be massively disappointed if we don't show you exactly what I'm talking about !

I know what you are saying but I will settle for the same result as when we previously played at WHL nice1.gif Nah hope it's a good end to end action game but I can't see it being this way. We won't be interested in this sort of a game, our aim will be to stay compact and keep you away from Casillas.

#53 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:20

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ Apr 12 2011, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's to a good game anyway Redondo and your fellow Madridistas! cheers.gif

cheers.gif Hope the best team on the night win and we see some great football.

ps I just saw this interview with Xabi. By the look of things we may turn up in full force after all.

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/...ere_to_win_.htm

#54 Guest_Ooooh Redondo_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:26

Marca's probable line ups. Yours is probably spot on I don't think we will start this way because Garay hasn't played much this season. Diarra was left out of the group and didn't travel to London this literally mean we will be more attacking than I previously thought.

#55 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:45

Hope that is the Madrid team!! That defense looks awful tbh!! I hope our team is correct but perhaps Kaboul for Corluka for the extra pace and stamina!!

COYS!! The Lane is gonna be electric tonight!! Lets show these Madrid boys some real passion and noise!! The Bernabeau was soooooo quiet last week until they scored, that wont be the case tonight!! crest.gif

#56 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:50

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it becomes clear that the only slightly feasible/ extreme possibility of us going through, is if you come out and sit deep, we attack and get a couple of goals ahead early. The tie is only ever alive if we manage to get 2/3-0 up, get on a roll and continue from there. Not that I can see that happening.

For that reason, I can see Mourinho setting out a reasonably attacking team. As much as a compact and efficient draw or narrow win for Madrid is very much Mourinho-esque, he knows us well and knows what WHL can be like. I don't think he'll mind conceding a goal or two if it means Madrid get one or two as well to put the game far beyond doubt.

Its a funny feeling having no nerves, and knowing that we have nothing to lose at all. Its quite invigorating actually, and the end result will hopefully be a game that will please both sets of fans.

#57 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 15:01

leaving now to get my tonsils extra lubricated before kick off grinny.gif .. couple in the brewers then on to the coach & possibly bell & hare cheers.gif cheers.gif

this!!

crest.gif crest.gif crest.gif bow.gif bow.gif bow.gif

#58 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 15:07

My old favourite that Brackers posted a while back..........

If you Madrid boys want to see a nice highlight package of our season last year, with relevant lyrics and a nice story check it out......

#59 Guest_El Pichichi_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 15:40

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 13 2011, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it becomes clear that the only slightly feasible/ extreme possibility of us going through, is if you come out and sit deep, we attack and get a couple of goals ahead early. The tie is only ever alive if we manage to get 2/3-0 up, get on a roll and continue from there. Not that I can see that happening.

For that reason, I can see Mourinho setting out a reasonably attacking team. As much as a compact and efficient draw or narrow win for Madrid is very much Mourinho-esque, he knows us well and knows what WHL can be like. I don't think he'll mind conceding a goal or two if it means Madrid get one or two as well to put the game far beyond doubt.

Its a funny feeling having no nerves, and knowing that we have nothing to lose at all. Its quite invigorating actually, and the end result will hopefully be a game that will please both sets of fans.

You have a point there. Madrid sitting deep is probably the only way (combined with you getting 2 or 3 goals very early on) you have to turn the tie your way, but I do think Madrid sitting in deeper positions will indeed happen.

Not really because that would be Mourinho's great plan for this match, but because of Pepe's absence. Pepe is extremely fast and allows our game to be played further up pitch, minimizing the spaces between the lines, creating numerical advantage in many zones of pitch, with high pressure made on your players. With him out, we have no chance but to play deeper. Not deeper like "everybody behind the ball" deep, but deeper than what we are used to. And, in this particular case, against your electric pace wingers, that can prove to be an advantage to us, minimizing the spaces behind our full-backs and not allowing them to create as much danger.

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 13 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you Madrid boys want to see a nice highlight package of our season last year, with relevant lyrics and a nice story check it out......

Nice video. nice1.gif
Is Bassong not doing well this year?

#60 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 13 April 2011 - 15:57

Bassong was purchased in the summer before that season, coming off of being Newcastles best player the season before, when they got relegated. Due to injuries, Bassong played a lot of games ( twenty odd) alongside Dawson, last season, and they developed a very good pertnership, whereby we were conceding very little goals. However, Ledley King returned, and even though he cant ever train and has no cartilage in his knees, whenever he steps on the pitch he is literally one of the best CB's in the world. It's a testiment to how good he is, that Capello felt he had to take him to the Wolrd Cup, even though he can only play intermittently.

Bassong dropped down to the bench, and has never had a regular starting place again. We have a good number of centre backs, three of which are immensely talented but injury prone - Gallas, King and of course Woodgate who you know well. We also have Kaboul.

Basically, Bassong has now lost all form and confidence, and when he does get the occasional start dut to injuries, he has looked terrible. Bereft of all confindence, you can literally see him panic on every occasion, he has enough time to think. It's a shame, but we have a good set of centre backs, meaning that he is unlikely to get a big run of games again. He may have to move to re-discover his form.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users