Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur 3-3 Arsenal - Planet Spurs Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur 3-3 Arsenal Wednesday 20 April, KO: 19:45 GMT, White Hart Lane

#41 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 19 April 2011 - 15:45

God damn, there forums are sooo s**t!! Lol

#42 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 April 2011 - 16:07

I don't read a lot into Arsenal's recent woes, make no mistake, they will be right up for this regardless of what happens at Newcastle tonight. Although I only saw highlights on MOTD, I suspect that Liverpool were able to stiffle Arsenal for long periods on Sunday by sticking eight men behind the ball for most of the game. This is the modern Liverpool approach when they play decent opponents away from home and it has been quite successful of late; however, it is not the Spurs' way. Accordingly, I expect there to be more space for them to exploit which could be very dangerous for us. I would settle for a draw on the basis that we are capable of beating both Liverpool and a Tevez- less Man. City on the road, and a point would at least put us within range of the latter. Prediction...2 v 2 at best, praying.gif for better.

#43 Guest_spursk10_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 16:41

Gomes
Kaboul Gallas Dawson Ekotto
Lennon Sandro Hudds Bale
Modric/VDV
Crouch

We need Sandro to break up Arsenal's attack.
Kaboul is more comfortable going forward than Corluka. He's also very dangerous in set pieces situations.

#44 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 17:10

QUOTE (spursk10 @ Apr 19 2011, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gomes
Kaboul Gallas Dawson Ekotto
Lennon Sandro Hudds Bale
Modric/VDV
Crouch

We need Sandro to break up Arsenal's attack.
Kaboul is more comfortable going forward than Corluka. He's also very dangerous in set pieces situations.

agree with all of thatother than crouch. he is too slow for this fixture. Wenger will p1ss himself laughing if he sees Crouch starting IMO. Got to be pav or Defoe or both (at the expense of VDv maybe) for me.

#45 Guest_spursmojo_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 17:20

we got 4th last season playing 4,4,2 and i believe its still our best formation

playing crouch on his own with VDV slows us down. and we have a tendancy to just lump it up to crouch instead of looking to play a better ball

we are a quick counter attacking side and need to play to our strengths.

COYS

#46 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 17:39

Another option to accommodate all would be to play Bale at left back, and play Modric at LM with Hudd and Sandro in the middle.

I can totally see why people prefer Bale at LM, but he has had some brilliant games at LB as well, coming from deep on the over lap. I also don't think he is as defensively poor as some make out. You never know, playing Bale at LB could be a big surprise to Le Arse and screw up their tactics as he will be harder to pick up, and we will have an LM that likes to drift inside which they won't be expecting. Just an idea.

#47 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 17:46

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 19 2011, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another option to accommodate all would be to play Bale at left back, and play Modric at LM with Hudd and Sandro in the middle.

I can totally see why people prefer Bale at LM, but he has had some brilliant games at LB as well, coming from deep on the over lap. I also don't think he is as defensively poor as some make out. You never know, playing Bale at LB could be a big surprise to Le Arse and screw up their tactics as he will be harder to pick up, and we will have an LM that likes to drift inside which they won't be expecting. Just an idea.

Would you want to leave a gap at left back knowing that Walcott is playing?

#48 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 17:54

QUOTE (Stephan @ Apr 19 2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you want to leave a gap at left back knowing that Walcott is playing?

A gap ? I wouldn't expect Bale to play as a LM from LB, he would pick his runs forward carefully, and has the speed and engine to get back. Considering how slow Charlie is in getting back, Bale has the ability /pace to mean that he isn't much more of a risk. One of the best ways of nullifying a team with wingers, is to try and take control of the game and push your fullbacks up, so the wingers end up occupied in deep positions and unable to attack. Of course, it doesn't always work and can backfire.

As I say, merely a suggestion to accommodate both Hudd and Sandro. Sandro being the very type of player that would be able to cover Bale if he got too forward at points.

#49 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 18:02

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 19 2011, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A gap ? I wouldn't expect Bale to play as a LM from LB, he would pick his runs forward carefully, and has the speed and engine to get back. Considering how slow Charlie is in getting back, Bale has the ability /pace to mean that he isn't much more of a risk.

Not really sure why you mentioned Corluka. Walcott is right sides so he'd face Assou-Ekotto if Bale would play LM.

The last couple of games I noticed Bale has been slacking on defensive duties though. Sometimes he just stops and stands to watch others trying to get back for cover. And in most occasions it's not because he just made a box-to-box run. Either he's not fully fit or he's getting a bit of star ego. Just have a look at Real and Stoke game. He did it in both...

#50 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 18:23

I mentioned Corluka because he is a fullback, and my point was a general one, rather than a specific one about Arsenal - as a fullback, Bale may get forward more than Corluka does, but compare how long it takes each of them to get back, if they have made an attacking run. What I'm trying to say is, whilst you think playing Bale as a fullback might leave a gap, to be honest, there isn't much difference between him, and someone like Corluka ( who you would never worry about leaving gaps as he is seen as a defensive fullback) as Bale is able track back at a far quicker pace.

Playing at LM gives Bale less pressure to track back if he's caught upfield. If he was playing at LB and lost the ball high up the ptich, there's no way he'd stand around doing nothing.

#51 Guest_spursk10_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 20:28

QUOTE (FergoSpurs @ Apr 19 2011, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agree with all of thatother than crouch. he is too slow for this fixture. Wenger will p1ss himself laughing if he sees Crouch starting IMO. Got to be pav or Defoe or both (at the expense of VDv maybe) for me.

We had good games with Crouch this season except RM 1st leg game.
Defoe and VDV doesn't seem to work well together.
I had no confidence in Pav. Got two chances against RM in the 2nd leg. Failed to test the keeper in both.

#52 Guest_SpursYankeeDivision_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 21:00

QUOTE (spursk10 @ Apr 19 2011, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had good games with Crouch this season except RM 1st leg game.
Defoe and VDV doesn't seem to work well together.
I had no confidence in Pav. Got two chances against RM in the 2nd leg. Failed to test the keeper in both.

I'd have to agree with you here. Crouch may be too slow, but Defoe and Pav are no good in my opinion. Really its like picking the lesser of 3 evils.
I'm not sure if a 4-4-2 is a good idea as VDV I think is key. When Pav or Defoe are in I usually feel like we are playing with 10 men! If both were in...well I'm not sure haha. I wont be upset if Pav plays instead of Crouch...
I feel the goals are going to come from others...(VDV, Bale, Modric its about time for another praying.gif)

#53 Guest_spursk10_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 21:34

QUOTE (SpursYankeeDivision @ Apr 19 2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have to agree with you here. Crouch may be too slow, but Defoe and Pav are no good in my opinion. Really its like picking the lesser of 3 evils.
I'm not sure if a 4-4-2 is a good idea as VDV I think is key. When Pav or Defoe are in I usually feel like we are playing with 10 men! If both were in...well I'm not sure haha. I wont be upset if Pav plays instead of Crouch...
I feel the goals are going to come from others...(VDV, Bale, Modric its about time for another praying.gif)

None of Arsenal's defenders are taller than 6'2. If our players put more deep diagonal crosses in the box, Crouch will win most of the headers. It's so difficult for GK to defend.

#54 User is offline   special yid 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:23

Yep, good point!! I dont think if Crouch started, Wenger would be laughing as someone else suggested, in fact I think he would be quite worried, as Arsenals CB's are dreadful in the air!! It could be a good tactic to use those diagonals for crouch to knock down for Bale VDV Modric ETC!!

I can see why people would want Sandro in this game, but for me he has to sit!! Hudd and Modric in the middle is still our best cm partnership!! If anything I think Lennon should perhaps come on from the bench??!!

#55 Guest_aussispurs_*

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:07

for me VDV has been awful for the last 2 months as well. I cant see how he can hold his place.

i know it is a bit unbalanced but i can see a mid-field of lennon, hudd, sandro, bale with modric in front of hudd and sandro - more like a 4-2-3-1

up front has to be crouch - scored twice last start. Pav and defoe are just too s***.

i really think we have to play hudd and sandro in the midfield against the scum. Hudd alone is not enough, sandro alone is too negative.

realistically our goals are going to come from crouch, bale, lennon, modric anyway. The only person who scores that is being left out is vdv.

#56 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:27

Lets break out the champers. dancing.gif
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#57 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:59

QUOTE (EuanW @ Apr 19 2011, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's a good idea, especially as Sangha is likely to start; he is no slouch but he would find it hard to keep pace with Bale who would be overlapping and receiving the ball when already motoring. This line-up would also give us substantial deep cover in the centre of the park and allow Modric to cut inside and have the occasional crack at goal.

#58 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:39

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ Apr 20 2011, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's a good idea, especially as Sangha is likely to start; he is no slouch but he would find it hard to keep pace with Bale who would be overlapping and receiving the ball when already motoring. This line-up would also give us substantial deep cover in the centre of the park and allow Modric to cut inside and have the occasional crack at goal.

this might not be a bad idea to accomodate everyone.

If bale starts we could accomodate hudd and sandro with lennon wide and modric cutting in from the left as euan says. think I would leave out vdv (he has looked off the pace to me for the last few games) and play two strikers but again, I don't think redknapp will do that.

I say again though in my view only, lumping long balls to crouch is a bad option here. I fully expect redknapp to play him on his own though and I hope to be proved wrong as he gets a hat trick!! :-)

#59 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 13:16

can our strikers score hat tricks? grinny.gif
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#60 Guest_FrankYido_*

Posted 20 April 2011 - 14:48

IM BUZZED for this one leaving my house at 5 come on you spurs massive game

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users