• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur Saturday 30 April, 17:30 GMT, Stamford Bridge

#161 Guest_dannymc_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 April 2011 - 23:02

why was crouch not brought on for the last 15 -20 mins,defoe never got service to his feet,on the few attacks we had high balls were put into their box,we needed to win the game,as for gomes i have been saying since the fulham game last season,that he is a waste of space, wave.gif can anybody tell me was he constantly making errors like this at psv? angry2.gif wtf.gif Headbanger.gif

#162 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 30 April 2011 - 23:11

QUOTE (dannymc @ May 1 2011, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can anybody tell me was he constantly making errors like this at psv? angry2.gif wtf.gif Headbanger.gif

You'd never see a more consistent and reliable goalkeeper than Gomes at PSV. He was a world beater, effectively given them 2 seasons with ridiculous number of clean sheets to boot. He also holds the Dutch league records for most minutes going unbeaten. He really was that good. But it seems he has cracked under the pressure of the Premier League.

#163 Guest_spursk10_*

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:15

QUOTE (Stephan @ Apr 30 2011, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Comparing us with Liverpool is absolutely ridiculous. Liverpool are the most successful club in English football history along with Man United. Comparing them with Spurs is plain silly. Liverpool has a much more successful history than us and their name is held in higher regard than us from an international perspective. Players will always want to join Liverpool just becaue of the club they are.

We just had 1 successful season in the Champions League after decades of not being involved in the most prestigious European cup tournament. If I look at it objectively we'll be regarded as a one day fly since we can't back it up with consecutive qualification. Same goes for Everton who cracked the top 4 once and then couldn't sustain their top 4 credentials either.

Add to that the fact we can't seem to compete on either transfer fees or wages when it comes to top targets it becomes an even more frustrating reality for Spurs. We will miss out on the big names that we have been dreaming of ever since we finished 4th last season. I hold the entire club responsible for not capitalizing on our Champions League status when we had the chance. Now we will have to scrap and settle for second best in the Summer transfer window. We'll probably sign a couple of mediocre to decent players, maybe 1 lucky bet and another couple of flops.

Sorry I can't help it. I have never felt so low about our future after we were in relegation zone under Ramos. We don't play well, the manager seems clueless, clubs are already circling like vultures to snap up some of our best players and Liverpool, Arsenal and City will probably trump us on every transfer target we'll have in mind.

I think your view is way too negative.

Couple years ago we would have no chance to win against the top 4. We can't even manage to score a goal against them. It's usually 2-0 or 3-0.

Since Harry took over we are closing the gaps.

We still have a good chance to beat Liverpool for the 5th place this season.

Chelsea will have to replace many of their core players such as Lampard, Essien, Drogba, Anelka, Terry in the next couple years. I'm not sure how long Ancelotti will stay at Chelsea.

Liverpool will need to replace Carra and Gerrard. They have no top class players at the back four. Carra is too old. Glen Johnson is a poor defender. Agger is injury-prone.

Bentley, JJ, Hutton, Pav, Gomes, Gio, ... aren't Harry's signings. If Harry can find more players like Sandro or VDV, we will be a very good team.

#164 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:26

QUOTE (spursk10 @ May 1 2011, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your view is way too negative.

Couple years ago we would have no chance to win against the top 4. We can't even manage to score a goal against them. It's usually 2-0 or 3-0.

Since Harry took over we are closing the gaps.

We still have a good chance to beat Liverpool for the 5th place this season.

Chelsea will have to replace many of their core players such as Lampard, Essien, Drogba, Anelka, Terry in the next couple years. I'm not sure how long Ancelotti will stay at Chelsea.

Liverpool will need to replace Carra and Gerrard. They have no top class players at the back four. Carra is too old. Glen Johnson is a poor defender. Agger is injury-prone.

Bentley, JJ, Hutton, Pav, Gomes, Gio, ... aren't Harry's signings. If Harry can find more players like Sandro or VDV, we will be a very good team.

I'm sorry but we have regressed this year and failed to build on previous success. You miss your opportunities in this league and stand still, you drop back rapidly.
Major mistakes have been made this season, Harry and Levy both require criticism and a boot up the arse, it could cost us for years and it shouldn't have... Headbanger.gif

#165 Guest_spursk10_*

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:58

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ May 1 2011, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but we have regressed this year and failed to build on previous success. You miss your opportunities in this league and stand still, you drop back rapidly.
Major mistakes have been made this season, Harry and Levy both require criticism and a boot up the arse, it could cost us for years and it shouldn't have... Headbanger.gif

MAJOR MISTAKES???

REQUIRE A BOOT UP THE ARSE???

I should stay away from this forum.

#166 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:56

QUOTE (spursk10 @ May 1 2011, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MAJOR MISTAKES???

REQUIRE A BOOT UP THE ARSE???

I should stay away from this forum.

Mate with all due respect there have been two fundamental mistakes this season and I think the majority of people here would agree with me:

1) Not signing a striker in the summer let alone Jan transfer window.
2) Prioritising Champions League rather than domestic league.

There's a knock on affect here if you think about it carefully... (same old story). Consistently getting into CL football will show we are a good club and will attract world class players; Being one hit wonders whilst our main rivals for fourth place Man City, Liverpool and Arguably at the time Chelsea were all splashing the cash and strengthening their squads. Do you honestly think we'll have a good chance in getting good/great players if we are not getting 4th spot? It's about adapting and surviving in your environment, almost survival of the fittest; so our rivals strengthen their squad with good players whilst we sit back and not react? Man Utd and Arsenal will invest in their squads this summer adding to it, we might not even be able to compete with the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea & Liverpool in the transfer window. Don't get me wrong, Arry and the 'Team' have done fantastic in getting CL football, reaching the 1/4's and if we get 5th we have come along way. But there is a saying my friend of 'striking whilst the iron is hot'. All of that effort might be in vain now... BUT, seasons not over, stranger things have happened, you never know praying.gif

#167 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:46

Before the game, I expected Chelsea to win relatively comfortably and I don't think the result will prove significant so far as UCL qualification is concerned because I think we blew that one against WBA...at the latest. The stats. don't lie...we have not been sufficiently consistent this season and we lack the killer instinct which are both crucial for a top four finish. What annoys me is the way in which we lost yesterday's game. The first goal was a complete joke with the linsman and Gomes equally guilty. You simply cannot give goals away in that fashion, especially at this level. The effect is not limited to the goal itself, it changes the whole course of the match, including the psychology of both teams. You can imagine how increasingly desperate Chelsea would have become still trailing 0 v 1, as the second half progressed and their league title hopes began to fade. This would have had an adverse effect on their play and we may well have nicked another goal. I think Gomes may have to go. As for the lino, it is the first rule of officiating that if you are not sure, you must give the benefit to the defending side and he could not have been sure that the whole ball had crossed the line. As for the second goal, the offside was marginal and they happen all the time...that was just bad luck.I actually think that we defended pretty well for most of the game and I wasn't panicking as the minutes ticked by, as I normally do on such occasions. IMO, the important thing now is to secure 5th spot...we must be able to offer would-be new signings the prospect of European football next season. On this front, all is not lost; we are still in the driving seat, just, and Liverpool still have to visit Fulham and Villa...not easy games.
One final point...Sandro has arrived.

#168 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 01 May 2011 - 21:56

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ May 1 2011, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before the game, I expected Chelsea to win relatively comfortably and I don't think the result will prove significant so far as UCL qualification is concerned because I think we blew that one against WBA...at the latest. The stats. don't lie...we have not been sufficiently consistent this season and we lack the killer instinct which are both crucial for a top four finish. What annoys me is the way in which we lost yesterday's game. The first goal was a complete joke with the linsman and Gomes equally guilty. You simply cannot give goals away in that fashion, especially at this level. The effect is not limited to the goal itself, it changes the whole course of the match, including the psychology of both teams. You can imagine how increasingly desperate Chelsea would have become still trailing 0 v 1, as the second half progressed and their league title hopes began to fade. This would have had an adverse effect on their play and we may well have nicked another goal. I think Gomes may have to go. As for the lino, it is the first rule of officiating that if you are not sure, you must give the benefit to the defending side and he could not have been sure that the whole ball had crossed the line. As for the second goal, the offside was marginal and they happen all the time...that was just bad luck.I actually think that we defended pretty well for most of the game and I wasn't panicking as the minutes ticked by, as I normally do on such occasions. IMO, the important thing now is to secure 5th spot...we must be able to offer would-be new signings the prospect of European football next season. On this front, all is not lost; we are still in the driving seat, just, and Liverpool still have to visit Fulham and Villa...not easy games.
One final point...Sandro has arrived.

Yes to all of it.

#169 Guest_CO_Spurs_*

Posted 02 May 2011 - 15:56

Bummer that howler/bad goal call cost us. We've not been good enough in our last 8 in the league anyway. This result just confirms what I accepted weeks ago: we're not getting 4th.

I'm still grateful for the great season we have had tho.

#170 Guest_Go Team_*

Posted 02 May 2011 - 16:16

I expected us to lose. Chelsea are on form and have a chance of winning the league. Losing to them away isn't a disaster. Especially not losing based on a couple of dodge ref decisions.

But all the frustration is hard starting to build up. We've been in terrible form recently and I'd prefer if Harry was pissed off at us throwing away point after point. City have got CL football by default because Liverpool and ourselves threw it away.

Some plus points? Sandro looks emense, replacing Gomes is no longer a difficult decision and even tho I wish we'd spent bigger, one positive is that we don't need to sell players as we've been careful with cash. We've gotta get a draw at least at Pool and win the home games to get 5th.

We've plenty of reserves who need games so we can let them run about in the Europa league next year.

#171 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 02 May 2011 - 18:16

Just come back from holiday and havent had time to read any of this but just felt I had to say something about Gomes. He yet again cocked it up big time and even though the ball did not go in the assistant ref should never have had that decision to make. Almost gave away another goal to kalou later on in the match but was lucky to escape it. Some people on this forum have continuously backed him because he sometimes makes wonderful saves but time and time again he proves me right in that no matter the price he has to be replaced in the summer. He looks like a top bloke and a nice guy but I cant stand him and I hope everyone has, by now, changed their opinion of him.
On another note, its an absolute farce the way we lost that match. Ball didnt cross the line and an offside goal, sickening after such a spectacular strike from the beast that is Sandro. I hope we finish 6th because europa league is going to do more bad than good.
To end, I now consider a new goalkeeper a bigger priority than striker. Bring on next season!

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users