Planet Spurs Forums: Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 10 May, KO: 19:45 GMT, City of Manchester Stadium

#1 Guest_Stephan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:06

QUOTE (Harry Redknapp)
"We've just got to give it a go on Tuesday and see what happens."

Since no one in charge seems to have the presence of mind to rate the Europa League this match pretty much is nothing important to us.

There's no way we will trump City for 4th and even being pipped by Liverpool for 5th place doesn't seem such a biggy any more if you have to believe media and manager.

Hence, ours season is effectively over.

#2 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:17

Most depressing match thread I have ever read :/. This match will almost definitely have no meaning in terms of 4th place but after slightly recovering from the disappointment of blackpool I think the players owe it to us to put in a great performance. I expect them to fight till the last minute and we need to show City and the world we are still a great team. I expect a performance and hope I will not be left disappointed yet again.

#3 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:28

seroiusly think we'll get tonked tommorow... saturdays result has finished our season tbh.i really hope i'm wrong but i dont think either the players nor the managment has got it in them to put up much of a fight tommorow night.
i still desperatly want european football next season even europa league!...i dont think we'll get it & i really do believe that harry is being totally niave at the minute not wanting europa football!.. i beleive his job is riding on it & he doesn't realise it.(personal opionion only)

its a very flat feeling at the moment!..

#4 Guest_Raj_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:02

Just hope harry doesn't start with Lennon on the bench or some bulls*** like that.

I don't think we will lose though, probs a s***ty draw. Not that it matters much.

#5 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:03

I agree with you OGY, nowt to really play for, even the manager had written us off 6 weeks ago, so I ask will the motivation be there from the players, dont think it will be from Arry, he will no doubt be congratulating city on getting 4thh. angry2.gif
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#6 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:06

Stephan, I think you have to maintain a slightly more neutral viewpoint than that, if you are creating the match day thread ! Thats the most depressing reading ever !! getyacoat.gif

It's not looking good, but hopefully the players can give us some kind of performance to be proud of. I agree with OGY, if Harry is really not wanting Europa League then he could be in trouble with Levy. I pulled some stuff out I found, and will post it in the 5th/6th thread as well.....

EDIT - Dammit, I cant find it, its in the financial report from last year, but basically.....

No Europa league last season saw us see a drop in money from -

ticket sales ( less matches )
corporate hospitality ( no European matches at home )
sponsorship ( less through having no European matches )
prize money ( the obvious one )
general money from merchandising, drinks, food etc ( all the basics you get when you go to a match - the amount of merch sold on a match day is insane )

As you see, there is more to being in Europe than just the paltry prize money that Europe League offers. Levy isn't the kind of man to accept losing all those incomes again.

EDIT2 - I found it, will put in the 5th/6th thread.....

#7 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:09

QUOTE (EuanW @ May 9 2011, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stephan, I think you have to maintain a slightly more neutral viewpoint than that, if you are creating the match day thread ! Thats the most depressing reading ever !! getyacoat.gif

Sorry I couldn't be bothered. Mind you, since you're part of staff now you could do match threads as well you know...

Feel free to edit my first post and add stuff if you like.

#8 Guest_El Pichichi_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:19

QUOTE (EuanW @ May 9 2011, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

general money from merchandising, drinks, food etc ( all the basics you get when you go to a match - the amount of merch sold on a match day is insane )

As you see, there is more to being in Europe than just the paltry prize money that Europe League offers. Levy isn't the kind of man to accept losing all those incomes again.

Good post. It's all that, plus the fact that qualifying to next year's Europa League will mean the possibility of capitalizing on this season's amazing european run, in terms of reputation.
Not qualifying will mean Tottenham will only be regarded as a "one hit wonder"...soon forgotten... There's one in every season...
Having the reputation of a single-time overachiever will not contribute to attract the big stars you all would like to have... Tottenham needs to be a regular presence at these competitions, in order to be regarded as a solid team who enhances the players' values.

Absolutely crucial match, regardeless of what manager/players/president/directors say...

#9 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:32

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CAST YOUR BALLOTS FOR THE END OF THE SEASON AWARDS!

RELATED TOPIC HERE

ONLY TAKES 2 MINUTES MAXIUM, SO DO IT!
. YOU CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

PM EUANW YOUR VOTE BY CLICKING HERE

VOTING CLOSES NEXT THURSDAY EVENING !

#10 Guest_spursk10_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:34

It's not looking good, but hopefully the players can give us some kind of performance to be proud of. I agree with OGY, if Harry is really not wanting Europa League then he could be in trouble with Levy. I pulled some stuff out I found, and will post it in the 5th/6th thread as well.....

EDIT - Dammit, I cant find it, its in the financial report from last year, but basically.....

Yes, Europa cup is very important to us. It's not a high priority to win Europa cup but the competition does generate a lot more money. The players especially younger players like Walker would love to play in Europe.

#11 Guest_old grey yid_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:29

posted this on another thread but seems just as relevant here!!.. prize money earned in the europa league!!
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/financ...id=1517280.html

#12 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 18:35

Stephan your post is spot on but nobody wants to agree with you.I am feeling
really sick after Saturdays performance and now I realise we cannot get that 4th
place but there is no reason why we can't get into the Europa Cup even though
I do not like it.But if you are in Europe you can attract some of the players you
want to buy in the Summer.Tomorrow though we have pride to play for as it has
been a few years since Man;City has beaten us at their place but we do have some
important players missing but we must put in a good show and not give Mancini
the bragging rights over us.If you take the game to City right from the off like
we used to do earlier in the season then you can unnerve them like Everton did on
Saturday and they do not seem to have an answer and they go in to panic mode.
I want us to win this match and also the games against Liverpool & Birmingham
and at least finish the season in a little bit of style in the SPURS fashion.
Stephan your posts have been a pleasure to read and you are one of the first names
I look for plus my mate Journeyman.(I will try to post a lot more next Season) So Thanks.

1940Spursman8...Coys///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ///////////// Clapping.gif

#13 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:13

Its an utter disgrace.

We now think the Europa League is beneath us after one season in the CL

Other fans must be pissing thamselves.

Does this mean we won't bother with the domestic cups either wtf.gif is going on.

#14 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:24

For ogy and others: I made a little break-down of the differences in revenue between CL and EL here.

The difference is vast but in all honesty we can't expect that even IF we are involved in the CL we would be easily able to reach as far as we did this season. Comparing our CL revenue of this season with Fulham's 2009-2010 EL revenue+10% due to prize money increase shows that there's still a fair buck to make in the EL.

Add to that revenue from gate receipts, merchandising and catering at home matches all-in-all even Europa League football is not to be sniffed at.

#15 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:31

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ May 9 2011, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its an utter disgrace.

We now think the Europa League is beneath us after one season in the CL

Other fans must be pissing thamselves.

Does this mean we won't bother with the domestic cups either wtf.gif is going on.

We already don't, if this season is anything to go by !

#16 Guest_c411um_*

Posted 09 May 2011 - 21:23

don't expect f*** all from this or any other game this season. thx harry you c***

#17 Guest_David_Jeenola_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:18

What's the point anymore, Arry's already bigging up City, 'Miracle for 4th' etc. Liverpool are rejuvenated under Dalglish, our record at Anfield is terrible < don't see us wining there even if we beat Citeh tonight. Arry will probably start Lennon on the bench again too Headbanger.gif

#18 Guest_Crazy Yiddo_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:58

Can't see this going well. I'd have to predict a win for City. Spurs are playing with no bottle or invention at the moment, thanks largely to the same unresolved issues from the Jan window.

It's a strange fate that once again the 4th place spot will be decided at Middle Eastlands.

Nothing else to say really fellas. We've had our season in the CL and probably blown any chance of getting into it again. After all, according to Harry, City's millions are the cause of one win in twelve games nice1.gif

#19 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:26

QUOTE (c411um @ May 9 2011, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't expect f*** all from this or any other game this season. thx harry you c***

Now thats what I call really telling them. Clapping.gif
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#20 Guest_Macspur_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:13

QUOTE (c411um @ May 9 2011, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, you said it nice1.gif

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users