Planet Spurs Forums: Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur Tuesday 10 May, KO: 19:45 GMT, City of Manchester Stadium

#181 Guest_El Pichichi_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:41

I see them getting Ibrahimovic or Maicon (because of the obvious Inter link) and i see them getting Sanchez, Pastore or Hulk (all up and coming "best new thing" so fashionable to get these days) - two guys out of these five (although i think Mancini would go for the Inter ones only).

Neymar is very probably going to Chelsea, i think.

Aguero is a bit of an intriguing one - maybe Madrid..??

Kaka or Xavi are in a different level all together. I do not think they'd leave their current clubs in order to go to...Man City!
I'd say Kaka will be playing in a London blue shirt next season, while Xavi will never leave Barça... That's just my opinion.
Dani Alves is a c***, but recently signed a contract until 2015. I do not think he'll leave Barça this summer.

#182 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:55

It has been blindingly obvious since the day that the Sheikh signed on the bottom line, that Man City were destined to be hughly successful; it was only a question of time. It is also obvious that ok players like Milner, Barry et al will soon be jettisoned in favour of real class acts. Last season they spent £155m over the summer and they didn't even have the carrot of CL football to offer. We spoilt the party last May but, in reality, it was merely putting off the inevitable. Having said that, the chance was there to do it again this season but, unfortunately for a number of reasons, we blew it. IMO, the only thing stopping the current top four from occupying those positions for the foreseeable future is either something extraordinarily inspirational or, perhaps more likely, a new energy source is discovered which can cheaply power cars, tanks and stealth bombers. praying.gif

#183 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:18

QUOTE (GJHSpurs @ May 12 2011, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been blindingly obvious since the day that the Sheikh signed on the bottom line, that Man City were destined to be hughly successful; it was only a question of time. It is also obvious that ok players like Milner, Barry et al will soon be jettisoned in favour of real class acts. Last season they spent £155m over the summer and they didn't even have the carrot of CL football to offer. We spoilt the party last May but, in reality, it was merely putting off the inevitable. Having said that, the chance was there to do it again this season but, unfortunately for a number of reasons, we blew it. IMO, the only thing stopping the current top four from occupying those positions for the foreseeable future is either something extraordinarily inspirational or, perhaps more likely, a new energy source is discovered which can cheaply power cars, tanks and stealth bombers. praying.gif

Clapping.gif totally agree - this was our one chance - and we blew it. one more season of CL footie... keeping our best players and buying more + the prestige and money that comes with that. could have given us ammo to properly rival at least ar5e if no one else.

Now... I think we'll struggle to keep bale/modric etc, struggle to attract new talent and have very very slim chance of top four.

City will be dominant now meaning we will have to finish higher than one of the traditional top three to qualify, which would be a serious achievement. The fact remains by not buying in january and poor poor tactics and motivation we have imploded and made next season far more difficult than it needed to be.

#184 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:47

QUOTE (FergoSpurs @ May 12 2011, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clapping.gif totally agree - this was our one chance - and we blew it. one more season of CL footie... keeping our best players and buying more + the prestige and money that comes with that. could have given us ammo to properly rival at least ar5e if no one else.

Now... I think we'll struggle to keep bale/modric etc, struggle to attract new talent and have very very slim chance of top four.

City will be dominant now meaning we will have to finish higher than one of the traditional top three to qualify, which would be a serious achievement. The fact remains by not buying in january and poor poor tactics and motivation we have imploded and made next season far more difficult than it needed to be.

I think, given we realize a new stadium sooner than the Scousers, we can trump them in the near future. They still have the iconic name but they have so many mediocre players on long contracts they will struggle to shift. Carragher, Johnson, Skrtel, Lucas for instance all not good enough to play in our side to be fair so definitely not good enough to play Champions League. Add to that that the King Kenny hype has completely overshadowed all doubts that those Shankly tools ahd over yet another American owner when NESV took over and you have quite some inflammable ingredients for another meltdown at Anfield. They struggle to get a stadium, struggle to get rid of players, and probably NESV will be found out to be a debt loving franchise mob as well.

All-in-all I find it fascinating to see the mindset in England is so convinced that a top 4 is something that's so solid, that's never going to change or be flexible. If you look in other leagues like Spain, Italy, France, Germany there are always 6 to 8 teams battling it out for the top 4 spots. Yet in England, it looks like the top 4 is already set in stone before even one single ball has been kicked in the season.

#185 Guest_FergoSpurs_*

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:12

QUOTE (Stephan @ May 12 2011, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think, given we realize a new stadium sooner than the Scousers, we can trump them in the near future. They still have the iconic name but they have so many mediocre players on long contracts they will struggle to shift. Carragher, Johnson, Skrtel, Lucas for instance all not good enough to play in our side to be fair so definitely not good enough to play Champions League. Add to that that the King Kenny hype has completely overshadowed all doubts that those Shankly tools ahd over yet another American owner when NESV took over and you have quite some inflammable ingredients for another meltdown at Anfield. They struggle to get a stadium, struggle to get rid of players, and probably NESV will be found out to be a debt loving franchise mob as well.

All-in-all I find it fascinating to see the mindset in England is so convinced that a top 4 is something that's so solid, that's never going to change or be flexible. If you look in other leagues like Spain, Italy, France, Germany there are always 6 to 8 teams battling it out for the top 4 spots. Yet in England, it looks like the top 4 is already set in stone before even one single ball has been kicked in the season.

Even if we can overhaul the scousers though, it will be for fifth place... so still not good enough if we are a team with any ambition at all.

And generally in England the top four is so dominant because the EPl is the most watched league in the world and it is the CL teams that are the most followed globally (and hence have the biggest revenue generating opportunities). Add to that favouritism from the media and refereees and you don't have a level playing field. that's why it was so important to establish ourselves when we had the chance and why I now fear we might be proper fooked.

Hope I'm wrong though and we can 'give it a real go' and have a 'triffic' season in 2011. grinny.gif

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users