Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham Hotspur vs Birmingham City - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tottenham Hotspur vs Birmingham City Sunday 22 May, KO: 16:00 GMT, White Hart Lane

#181 Guest_aussispurs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 00:41

I thought it was interesting that harry played hudd and sandro with modric on the left. That might actually be a pointer to the future (ie bale at LB or LW with Modric on left or right). This type of formation would also allow a Parker type to fit it.

Anyway - I thought Sandro was great again. I really like his surging runs forward, he has good an eye for goal and really tracks back well when he gets caught forward. This guy is a genuine star in the making and i see him being spoken about in the same breathe as modric and bale this time next year.

Rose was good back up at LB. King take a bow. Kaboul just doesnt function well with lennon. Defoe was absolutely useless again - his last game for us i reckon. Pav was his typical self - completely anonomous and then two wonderstikes. Cuduciini makes me feel so much more relaxed than heartattack heurelio.

Birmingham were a disgrace. Nothing better than seeing a rich owner s*** themselves watching their plaything get relegated. He really does like to follow Gold and Sullivan!!

#182 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:04

This game followed a familiar pattern; we dominated possession yet looked toothless up front and created few clear-cut openings. Okay, two well taken goals from Pav but our forward line is not good enough at present and if we don't make the necessary changes during the summer, we will remain 'the best of the rest'.
Having said that, we did well to wrestle back fifth spot from the car thieves over the last two games and hopefully we will approach next season's Europa League in a positive fashion.
Solid game for Rose, he has done well in the last few weeks.
You have to hand it to Crouchy, he has managed to earn a decent living as a footballer even though he can neither kick or head a ball properly. Genius.

#183 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 15:33

As planned, this banner made it into WHL on Sunday. Shame it didn't get picked up by MOTD !

#184 Guest_GJHSpurs_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 15:51

QUOTE (EuanW @ May 23 2011, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As planned, this banner made it into WHL on Sunday. Shame it didn't get picked up by MOTD !

Brilliant. lmao.gif

#185 Guest_Stephan_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 15:59

Can we sell agent Keane now his mission is complete? laugh.gif

#186 Guest_EuanW_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 16:03

Hopefully he'll just defect by himself, to somewhere behind the Iron Curtain !

Smiert Spionam.

#187 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:04

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ May 22 2011, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Foster's good he's really good, but I wasn't impressed that he was apparently out til 4am in the last week with a relegation decider looming, and he can be a bit unpredictable/rash in his decision-making.
Well done Robbo but the positioning here is dire, he had the entire length of the pitch to prevent misjudging this one...

I too want Stekelenburg - he'd be expensive, but in such a key position the money spent is well worth it!

Phew................reading through this thread i was waiting to find your much valued opinion of Foster.

Thankfully, its spot on imo Clapping.gif Not sure he is an improvement on Gomo.

#188 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 23 May 2011 - 18:57

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ May 23 2011, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phew................reading through this thread i was waiting to find your much valued opinion of Foster.

Thankfully, its spot on imo Clapping.gif Not sure he is an improvement on Gomo.

I thank you... grinny.gif bow.gif

#189 Guest_Millbanks_*

Posted 24 May 2011 - 18:26

QUOTE (Stephan @ May 22 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We clearly miss Van der Vaart today. No movement between the lines. Our strikers don't drop off nor point out runs to put them into space. It's just shocking really.

Actually, Defoe's problem was that he did nothing BUt drop off, and he isn't the playmaker he obviously thinks he is.
Time and again, there was space between their centre halfs, and he decided instead of exploiting that space, he'd play in a Rooney-esque role, without the talent needed to do so.

So f***ing annoying...

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ May 22 2011, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Defoe's dropping so deep, he's no good at link-up play - just get in the box!

Correct!!!

QUOTE (burberis @ May 22 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool
p.s Atmosphere is better in our A lyga football game with attendance ~800. Wtf is today at the Lane? Picnic?

The atmosphere was great! The Blue Nose fans were superb as well. Very loud. Went down with pride. The chants at the end of the game were nice touch...

YOU BEAT THE SCUM 2-1
YOU BEAT THE SCUM 2-1
YOU BEAT THE SCUM 2-1
YOU BEAT THE SCUM 2-1!!

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ May 22 2011, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoping for better than him tbh... Maybe Johnson or Dann could be useful though?

WHAT!?!? Are you kiddin!?!? They're no where near the level we are looking for! Tommo, I expect better from you! wink.gif

QUOTE (SevenSteps2Kevin @ May 22 2011, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was thinking the same thing but shouldn't we be aiming higher?

on the plus side i bet he'd never b!tch about playing time...

Actually, Larsson has already whinged this season about not playing, so I wouldnt like to see him in a Spurs shirt once every 3 months. Let's be honest, he hasn't lit the league up, and has struggled to retain his place in a now relegated Brum side. Stoke/Fulham quality at best.

QUOTE (aussispurs @ May 23 2011, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was interesting that harry played hudd and sandro with modric on the left. That might actually be a pointer to the future (ie bale at LB or LW with Modric on left or right). This type of formation would also allow a Parker type to fit it.

I hope we don't play that in the future. Not only would it be a shame to see BAE and Rose left out, Modric does not play on the left side, no matter what the formation at the start of the game said. He drifts into the middle over and over again, and leaves Rose to roam up the left freely, but without support.
He is our main playmaker, and should NEVER be played out of position, as it makes him so much less effective.
A better team would have exploited the space down the wing.

He belongs in the centre with Sandro. Simple as that.

I thought King and Dawson were fantastic. In particular King, who I don't think lost a header all game.
Kaboul and Rose were solid.
Lennon lacked movement and an end product.
Sandro was comfortable. Solid performance.
Hudd lacked composure. Kept turning away from the play rather than looking to go forwards.
Modric was good, though played out of position. Has the ability to create goals, if only our strikers made runs through their defence.
Defoe was s***. Tried to play a role he simply isn't good enough to fill. Their defence was gappy, and with his pace, he should have been on the last man looking to exploit that.
Pav was super. Full of energy when he came on. Looked hungry unlike so many others. Just lacks that bit of pace, but 2 superb finishes.
Super Pav.

I agree in general with Euan. We dominated play bar about 15 minutes after we scored, though they hardly threatened. We look so solid with King at the back it's scary. Their goal was lucky in terms of their overall performance, though we did lack any sort of invention in the final third as per usual.

#190 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 24 May 2011 - 18:45

QUOTE (Millbanks @ May 24 2011, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHAT!?!? Are you kiddin!?!? They're no where near the level we are looking for! Tommo, I expect better from you! wink.gif

Haha, I refer you to my earlier comments in the transfer thread Millbanks dear boy... grinny.gif

Dann is better than Johnson, he's got excellent organisational leadership qualities as well as being a good defender.
Johnson is a brute, decent tackler and good in the air but as soon as Dann got injured Birmingham started shipping goals, they wouldn't have got relegated had the latter not got injured and their fans would confirm that if asked.
Take Dann or spend the extra money and sign Cahill - leave Johnson to Arsenal as the cheaper option they're probably looking for, he's not the leader they need and the Scum fans are clamouring for.

Not mad on either of them as first choice defenders, but I'd take Dann on the cheap as a Bassong replacement, seeing as Seb hasn't got the grit to fight for his position and has been largely s*** this season.

#191 Guest_Millbanks_*

Posted 24 May 2011 - 20:27

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ May 24 2011, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, I refer you to my earlier comments in the transfer thread Millbanks dear boy... grinny.gif

OH
THANK
f***!!

QUOTE (TommoSpur @ May 24 2011, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not mad on either of them as first choice defenders, but I'd take Dann on the cheap as a Bassong replacement, seeing as Seb hasn't got the grit to fight for his position and has been largely s*** this season.

I still must disagree though. Neither are good enough, even for our bench. I tell ya who I like. Samba.

And Odemwingie... wink.gif

lmao.gif

#192 Guest_TommoSpur_*

Posted 24 May 2011 - 20:31

QUOTE (Millbanks @ May 24 2011, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tell ya who I like. Samba.
And Odemwingie... wink.gif

First one I sense the Scum might purchase.
The second, behave... grinny.gif

#193 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 24 May 2011 - 20:58

Many good points here Millbanks...
QUOTE (Millbanks @ May 24 2011, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The atmosphere was great! The Blue Nose fans were superb as well. Very loud. Went down with pride. The chants at the end of the game were nice touch...

The atmosphere was decent, apart from a patch in the 2nd half between our goal and Blues' equaliser, when it seemed they were down. Then they were up; then they were down again. Muchos entertainment. Nice to see a good, noisy travelling contingent from them; I've been up to see us at St. Andrews a couple of times and the atmosphere there has always been dreadful on their part - very dull.

I hope we don't play that in the future. Not only would it be a shame to see BAE and Rose left out, Modric does not play on the left side, no matter what the formation at the start of the game said. He drifts into the middle over and over again, and leaves Rose to roam up the left freely, but without support.
He is our main playmaker, and should NEVER be played out of position, as it makes him so much less effective.

It worries me that should we sign Parker, we will see Modric on the left and Bale at l-b. Despite the fact that Modric would be magnificent even playing in goal, he is wasted anywhere other than CM. He's the heartbeat - he has to be in there.

Defoe was s***. Tried to play a role he simply isn't good enough to fill. Their defence was gappy, and with his pace, he should have been on the last man looking to exploit that.

It also truly f***ed me off that Defoe was a lazy little swine again. One time in particular (2nd half), he only needed to jog back onside to be in the middle of a huge gap between the centre-backs waiting for Pav to play the through ball for a clear 1v1, yet he just walked back and eventually Pav had to play the ball anyway - flag up. Appalling.

Pav was super. Full of energy when he came on. Looked hungry unlike so many others. Just lacks that bit of pace, but 2 superb finishes.
Super Pav.

To be honest, I've always been up and down in my opinion of Pav, until this season when I've decided he's an utter waste of time. But... have reconsidered again, I half think he might be worth keeping over the other two, certainly Defoe. Purely because, as proven this season, when in and out of the side Defoe offers little and doesn't score goals. On the other hand, when in and out of the side Pav offers little, but can be relied upon to provide a relatively regular supply of goals. If we bring in the striker(s) we hope to, surely Pav should be the one, if any, to stay?

#194 Guest_Pushandrun61_*

Posted 25 May 2011 - 15:31

QUOTE (Vinny @ May 24 2011, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many good points here Millbanks...

The atmosphere was decent, apart from a patch in the 2nd half between our goal and Blues' equaliser, when it seemed they were down. Then they were up; then they were down again. Muchos entertainment. Nice to see a good, noisy travelling contingent from them; I've been up to see us at St. Andrews a couple of times and the atmosphere there has always been dreadful on their part - very dull.

It worries me that should we sign Parker, we will see Modric on the left and Bale at l-b. Despite the fact that Modric would be magnificent even playing in goal, he is wasted anywhere other than CM. He's the heartbeat - he has to be in there.

It also truly f***ed me off that Defoe was a lazy little swine again. One time in particular (2nd half), he only needed to jog back onside to be in the middle of a huge gap between the centre-backs waiting for Pav to play the through ball for a clear 1v1, yet he just walked back and eventually Pav had to play the ball anyway - flag up. Appalling.

To be honest, I've always been up and down in my opinion of Pav, until this season when I've decided he's an utter waste of time. But... have reconsidered again, I half think he might be worth keeping over the other two, certainly Defoe. Purely because, as proven this season, when in and out of the side Defoe offers little and doesn't score goals. On the other hand, when in and out of the side Pav offers little, but can be relied upon to provide a relatively regular supply of goals. If we bring in the striker(s) we hope to, surely Pav should be the one, if any, to stay?

Pav complained about not playing to the media, why has he changed his mind about staying? Didn't fancy any other options that were offered to him i would wager. How long left on his contract? i don't think he would sign another one with us and may be running it down. Sell him this summer .

#195 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 25 May 2011 - 15:53

QUOTE (Pushandrun61 @ May 25 2011, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pav complained about not playing to the media, why has he changed his mind about staying? Didn't fancy any other options that were offered to him i would wager. How long left on his contract? i don't think he would sign another one with us and may be running it down. Sell him this summer .

Good point about the contract. There were rumours about him signing a new contract earlier in the season, all petered out though. I don't disagree with you at all PnR, don't really rate him, just trying to make the point that he is probably a better bet to score goals off the bench/on limited game time than Defoe.

Not to worry anyway, Crouch is a banker for 30 a season wink1.gif

#196 Guest_whitehart_*

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:11

QUOTE (Vinny @ May 25 2011, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point about the contract. There were rumours about him signing a new contract earlier in the season, all petered out though. I don't disagree with you at all PnR, don't really rate him, just trying to make the point that he is probably a better bet to score goals off the bench/on limited game time than Defoe.

Not to worry anyway, Crouch is a banker for 30 a season wink1.gif

I agree about Pav but Crouchie to score 30 goals u joking? Who scores 30 now anyway?

#197 Guest_Vinny_*

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:15

QUOTE (whitehart @ May 25 2011, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree about Pav but Crouchie to score 30 goals u joking? Who scores 30 now anyway?

Yep, was joking.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users