• You cannot reply to this topic

Toby Alderweireld

#781 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 January 2019 - 13:23

Disagree hotsauce.

A couple years ago I'd have argued with anyone that he's best CB in the league. He's still absolutely a top class CB but my confidence has dipped a little and it's now hard to argue with VVD (and Vertonghen for that matter) being better. You could have put anyone alongside Toby and be confident you'd keep a clean sheet, now not so much.

I think his injuries last season perhaps set him back a little. Still a better CB than Sanchez for the moment (although Sanchez pace helps) but no guarantee that's still the case in 2 years.

Cast your mind back a couple years ago to a game where we were under the kosh but Toby always managed to get a foot in or make the crucial tackle. I think he made one mistake his entire first season with us, we oozed confidence as a result of his commanding displays. Now there's been a handful of goals this season already he could have prevented, most recently the Wolves goal that went through his legs.

Best case scenario for me is still that he stays. We're undoubtedly better with him than without but acknowledging that he's no longer the best CB in the league and occasionally makes mistakes and couple be the start of his decline isn't false.

#782 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 05 January 2019 - 13:25

Having said all this, Toby clearly wants to be in control of his own destiny. Don't be surprised if he doesn't leave and run his contract down for another year :shock:

This post has been edited by Yidio Yidio: 05 January 2019 - 13:30

#783 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 05 January 2019 - 14:48

View Posthotsauce, on 05 January 2019 - 13:09, said:

I think some are down playing how good Toby is and only seeing what they wanna see to soften the blow,,

Totaly agree. Itís a natural thing to do. All fans do it . We done exactly the same with walker .
I think Tony is a brilliant player , out best defender as far as Iím concerned . If he runs down his contract I have no problem with that whatsoever if it means him playing another season . We are at our strongest with jan and toby at the back . Sanchez doesnít fill me with confidence , but itís still early days I suppose

#784 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2019 - 18:29

View Poststokesie, on 05 January 2019 - 14:48, said:

Totaly agree. Itís a natural thing to do. All fans do it . We done exactly the same with walker .
I think Tony is a brilliant player , out best defender as far as Iím concerned . If he runs down his contract I have no problem with that whatsoever if it means him playing another season . We are at our strongest with jan and toby at the back . Sanchez doesnít fill me with confidence , but itís still early days I suppose

You're right.
CBs like him are so hard to find. Look at city playing kompany CB and the Spanish one on LB.. Toby is still very good, only need some good motivation ( yes agree, that shouldn't be only money..)

#785 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 21:14

I'd be fine with him running his contract down if he was committed to working hard for the final year. Win-win if he does too, we have him for another 18 months and he can still probably get a massive pay day to set him and his great grandkids up for life if he's available on a free at 31

#786 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:06

He keeps getting linked to Man U. That would be such a huge blow to us. We would be strengthening what is essentially their only weakness at the moment. I hope he goes anywhere else.

#787 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:13

If he goes, Dier for centreback for me

#788 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:22

View Postfentonroad, on 14 March 2019 - 09:13, said:

I sometimes think we should cash in on Dier. Hes not really good enough to play in midfield and there must be a reason hes not played at centre back more often? He was linked with a £50m move once but I've never been totally convinced by him. Maybe he can start fresh at centre back and impress but Poch seems to only view him as a midfielder and emergency centre back.

#789 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:38

View Postfentonroad, on 14 March 2019 - 09:13, said:

lol if you want our team to improve rather then decline you have to aim higher then use Dier as a replacement for Toby.

#790 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:42

View PostChrisPienaar, on 14 March 2019 - 09:22, said:

I sometimes think we should cash in on Dier. Hes not really good enough to play in midfield and there must be a reason hes not played at centre back more often? He was linked with a £50m move once but I've never been totally convinced by him. Maybe he can start fresh at centre back and impress but Poch seems to only view him as a midfielder and emergency centre back.

Dier has never been convincing when he has played in a two as a centreback , He just looks to relaxed and clumsy , he always seems to ball watch for some reason when he has played there, Watford , Arsenal , Manutd, Newcastle and Monaco games spring to mind. I just remember those games because he had a complete shocker and looked out of his depth in all those games. I don't no if Dier has gone stale but when he was first converted as a Dm for the first two seasons he was a beast.

#791 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:04

Maybe he just needs the right partner in the middle, could Dier and Winks work?

#792 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 17:37

View PostSpurs scout, on 14 March 2019 - 09:38, said:

lol if you want our team to improve rather then decline you have to aim higher then use Dier as a replacement for Toby.

Jan-Dier-Sanchez does have a bit of everything except for the psychic connection between Jan and Toby. Sanchez is quick, Dier is physical and Jan is clever. If we got it right it could be a great trio.

Improving on a Jan-Toby partnership is near impossible. Much like other players we're having to replace, the key is focusing on improving in other areas to make up for what we're losing. E.g. Toby reads the game better, Sanchez is quicker. Dembele is a better dribbler, Winks is a better passer. Walker is faster, taller, stronger and a better defender, Trippier scored a free kick for England :getyacoat: .

#793 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 18:29

View Posttomtom, on 14 March 2019 - 17:37, said:

Jan-Dier-Sanchez does have a bit of everything except for the psychic connection between Jan and Toby. Sanchez is quick, Dier is physical and Jan is clever. If we got it right it could be a great trio.

Improving on a Jan-Toby partnership is near impossible. Much like other players we're having to replace, the key is focusing on improving in other areas to make up for what we're losing. E.g. Toby reads the game better, Sanchez is quicker. Dembele is a better dribbler, Winks is a better passer. Walker is faster, taller, stronger and a better defender, Trippier scored a free kick for England :getyacoat: .

Yeah that could be true but what the h*ll has happened to Trippier, is that his twin brother.

#794 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 14 March 2019 - 19:32

We needed a really good CM last summer, we need one even more this coming summer. I think we'll use Foyth more if Toby goes, he's the baller and will only improve if he gets more games. He'll make a few mistakes of course, but I can put up with that if it means this kid gets the chance to realise his potential.

Our FB's are likely to be better back at WHL, Davies, Rose, Aurier and Trips ought still to be good enough. Plus KWP. No need to replace unless we sell any of them and tbh, who wants any of them at present ????

#795 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 14 March 2019 - 19:35

What's you opinion on foyth Tom?

I think the boy has talent he is just a bit raw especially with the ball but I like that he is aggressive and is prepared to move the ball forward.
If we stick with him I think we will see a quality player develop, just might see a few mishaps on that journey but could be worth it long term.

#796 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 March 2019 - 23:27

I agree. I really think there's a player in him but I rated Caulker and thought Chiriches might work out so my scouting of young CBs isn't the best.

#797 User is offline   dieselspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 17 March 2019 - 23:47

Just playing catch up...firstly in my humble opinion Jan is superior to Toby now and that has nothing to do with softening the blow, love to keep Toby but if he goes we'll survive well now with Sanchez and Foyth (playing Foyth in the less physical games).
As for Dier, regardless of form he is a great utility player.

Share this topic:

• 40 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users