• You cannot reply to this topic

Toby Alderweireld

#781 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 January 2019 - 13:23

Disagree hotsauce.

A couple years ago I'd have argued with anyone that he's best CB in the league. He's still absolutely a top class CB but my confidence has dipped a little and it's now hard to argue with VVD (and Vertonghen for that matter) being better. You could have put anyone alongside Toby and be confident you'd keep a clean sheet, now not so much.

I think his injuries last season perhaps set him back a little. Still a better CB than Sanchez for the moment (although Sanchez pace helps) but no guarantee that's still the case in 2 years.

Cast your mind back a couple years ago to a game where we were under the kosh but Toby always managed to get a foot in or make the crucial tackle. I think he made one mistake his entire first season with us, we oozed confidence as a result of his commanding displays. Now there's been a handful of goals this season already he could have prevented, most recently the Wolves goal that went through his legs.

Best case scenario for me is still that he stays. We're undoubtedly better with him than without but acknowledging that he's no longer the best CB in the league and occasionally makes mistakes and couple be the start of his decline isn't false.

#782 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 05 January 2019 - 13:25

Having said all this, Toby clearly wants to be in control of his own destiny. Don't be surprised if he doesn't leave and run his contract down for another year :shock:

This post has been edited by Yidio Yidio: 05 January 2019 - 13:30

#783 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 05 January 2019 - 14:48

View Posthotsauce, on 05 January 2019 - 13:09, said:

I think some are down playing how good Toby is and only seeing what they wanna see to soften the blow,,

Totaly agree. Itís a natural thing to do. All fans do it . We done exactly the same with walker .
I think Tony is a brilliant player , out best defender as far as Iím concerned . If he runs down his contract I have no problem with that whatsoever if it means him playing another season . We are at our strongest with jan and toby at the back . Sanchez doesnít fill me with confidence , but itís still early days I suppose

#784 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2019 - 18:29

View Poststokesie, on 05 January 2019 - 14:48, said:

Totaly agree. Itís a natural thing to do. All fans do it . We done exactly the same with walker .
I think Tony is a brilliant player , out best defender as far as Iím concerned . If he runs down his contract I have no problem with that whatsoever if it means him playing another season . We are at our strongest with jan and toby at the back . Sanchez doesnít fill me with confidence , but itís still early days I suppose

You're right.
CBs like him are so hard to find. Look at city playing kompany CB and the Spanish one on LB.. Toby is still very good, only need some good motivation ( yes agree, that shouldn't be only money..)

#785 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 21:14

I'd be fine with him running his contract down if he was committed to working hard for the final year. Win-win if he does too, we have him for another 18 months and he can still probably get a massive pay day to set him and his great grandkids up for life if he's available on a free at 31

Share this topic:

• 40 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users