• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another suggestion....

#1 User is offline   Bennotheyid 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:53

Can anything be implemented to try and prompt "lurkers" (a word I use for those who will read but not post) I.E A Sub-forum with a headline of F.A.O New members/guests PLEASE READ and have some sort of "mission statement" to highlight the benefits of the site and try to prompt these people to post.

This forum cannot be commented on in order to keep it stictly read only.

Please reply if you want more clarification. I know what I mean but conveying it is a different thing.
Rock Scissors Paper Champion 2013. Not this time Edward Scissorhands!

#2 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:30

not a bad idea. What sort of things do you think would prompt lurkers to join and start posting?

We get a lot of people who sign up and don't make a single post as well as majority of people online at any given time being lurkers who presumably don't even have an account.

#3 User is offline   USASpursFan 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Forum Moderator

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:56

A Trojan Horse installed on the computer on the lurker until he makes a post.

#4 User is offline   Bennotheyid 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:56

As mentioned something like a mission statement. Not going to take a lot of time and worse case scenario if it doesnt work, nothing lost.

Something along the lines of...

F.A.O Guests

Welcome to Planetspurs

1st paragraph list what the aim of the forum is
2nd paragraph List what the forum offers
3rd A statement to entice i.e "Bored of just reading and not being able to share your opinion? Then GET INVOLVED!!"

Have you considered blocking off some of the parts of the forum and only give guests a sneak peak of the forum?

#5 User is offline   Bennotheyid 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2013 - 19:53

View Posttomtom85, on 10 December 2013 - 16:30, said:

not a bad idea. What sort of things do you think would prompt lurkers to join and start posting?

We get a lot of people who sign up and don't make a single post as well as majority of people online at any given time being lurkers who presumably don't even have an account.

Also how about a free t-shirt or new members who post and 30 times within a 30 day period?

Dont know if budget will stretch that far?! :blink:

#6 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:42

Could be a possibility... Though we might just get a bunch of 1 line / 1 word posts til they get their t shirt then they f*** off again.

We were discussing making some of the forum VIP only so that only members who had donated could access it but held off on the idea for the minute.

#7 User is offline   Bennotheyid 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2013 - 13:17

Allow members in there who have posted over 100 times? What benefits would there be in a VIP area?

#8 User is offline   Chelsea Blue  

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2013 - 19:15

View PostUSASpursFan, on 10 December 2013 - 16:56, said:

A Trojan Horse installed on the computer on the lurker until he makes a post.

Me likey. Given that the Zeus source leaked -- https://github.com/Visgean/Zeus -- and, much more recently (last three months or so) another trojan kit that I forget the name of I'm well up for that!

#9 User is offline   Chelsea Blue  

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2013 - 19:19

View PostBennotheyid, on 11 December 2013 - 13:17, said:

Allow members in there who have posted over 100 times? What benefits would there be in a VIP area?

That's a common theme amongst forums. Another forum I help administer does have "Resident" status for users with certain attributes: uploaded more than X, posted more than Y, etc. But that's a torrent site so it's a bit of a different beast...

I can't think what extra forum would help those that stick around. Over to the admins...

[Edit: THere's a good Chelsea forum where only members have access to certain "stuff". Downloads of DVDs etc. but I'm not sure that's a legal quagmire that the site should get stuck in]

#10 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 14:11

There are some brilliant ideas on here. I do have a suggestion, that would be maybe contentious, but one i consider worth a thought and
(not just because I came up with it.) we have all had issues me included, well most have, but what about somesort of sub forum where by banned members could go on if they so choose to, but not onto the main site, then they could rant and rave as much as they wanted,(bit like fight club tomtom started) but this way they would be logged into PS it would boost membership only a bit but by heck it wouldnt half increase posts.

Then also members on the main PS site could if they so choose also go on and post there, you could limit to ordinary members who have made x ammount of posts, so that those going on there can look afterthem selves verbally, or just leave it open to any on the main site that wanted to visit it with wording such as "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK" or "IF EASILY OFFENDED KEEP OUT.
?
what i am saying is look at OGY, and bibcat goldthwait maybe the same person, but non the less a different username, then there is Alsidy, now those three names have made over 6000 posts, so could it be worth thinking about?

I have only just thought of this so no doubt there will be plenty of negatives as I've not even considered them yet but just a thought.
sure as h*ll would spice things up. :grinny:

As an after thought it might also encourage one or two back who are in self imposed exile!!
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#11 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:18

View Postjourneyman, on 14 January 2018 - 14:11, said:

There are some brilliant ideas on here. I do have a suggestion, that would be maybe contentious, but one i consider worth a thought and
(not just because I came up with it.) we have all had issues me included, well most have, but what about somesort of sub forum where by banned members could go on if they so choose to, but not onto the main site, then they could rant and rave as much as they wanted,(bit like fight club tomtom started) but this way they would be logged into PS it would boost membership only a bit but by heck it wouldnt half increase posts.

Then also members on the main PS site could if they so choose also go on and post there, you could limit to ordinary members who have made x ammount of posts, so that those going on there can look afterthem selves verbally, or just leave it open to any on the main site that wanted to visit it with wording such as "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK" or "IF EASILY OFFENDED KEEP OUT.
?
what i am saying is look at OGY, and bibcat goldthwait maybe the same person, but non the less a different username, then there is Alsidy, now those three names have made over 6000 posts, so could it be worth thinking about?

I have only just thought of this so no doubt there will be plenty of negatives as I've not even considered them yet but just a thought.

As an after thought it might also encourage one or two back who are in self imposed exile!!

I think its a good idea ! it wouldnt be for me because i dont come on to insult anyone or to be insulted !

It probably would suit last worders and some who are presently banned on here.

I wouldnt have thought someone like Mr Greaves (for eg) would go for it ! someone who qualifies as in self exile on here.(as you put it )

I am one who has gone into that same self exile because it becomes pointless exchanging views with certain people.

I think admin (when they come to warning / banning decisions should examine who started things off.

For example on my old forum we had a bloke called ionman who insulted others left right and centre ! I gave him some back and ended up being banned.

That was a strange decision by those that ran my old forum because he had been told to tone down his response to others opinions on there.

Maybe he was ogy also ! gets everywhere dont he ?

#12 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:11

?

#13 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:14

?

Iím glad you did not include me along with OGY and bobcat. I donít agree really, it would be creating a new site comparable to The Fighting Cock.

#14 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 22 January 2018 - 13:47

I agree it would, but my reason for really suggesting it was purely for the fact that the 3 mentioned had between them over 6000 posts, also to be perfectly honest,I never had a problem with OGY, he tells it is, yes I accept that his straight way of talking may offend some,but not all, there has been pleanty on here that would like to see him back.

I dont condemn any one for speaking their mind, no matter how, as long as it does not get personal, sadly at times some have got personal, but usually only when something has been said about them or they retaliate. I too have been been the victim in the past of people having a go at me because they didnt like what I said or didnt like my opinion. EG I have in the past said that some look at poch through rose tinted glasses as though he is some sort of Messiah, he's good no doubt about it, but boy did i get slated for it, but got me the most were those that always think their views are right, and pick you up on grammer and the likes, ie puncuation, spelling, then for for you have what I call the slide rule brigade saying if he had done this that or tother, he was brought on to late, he was the wrong sub, you know the sort all them that know better than the guy doing the job.

I am old school and just say what I feel based on what i see or hear on news, tv or at games. Whilst mentioning OGY he is one that does have a lot of inside info, his connections at the club are second to non, and like me is life long Spurs and for him a lot of the time knowing whats actually going on when he reads some of the stuff on here that he know not to be correct it winds him up a bit I guess, its worse still when the posters of such stuff do not really know them selves, hence my suggestion as above. :niceone:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#15 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 January 2018 - 14:30

View Postjourneyman, on 22 January 2018 - 13:47, said:

I agree it would, but my reason for really suggesting it was purely for the fact that the 3 mentioned had between them over 6000 posts, also to be perfectly honest,I never had a problem with OGY, he tells it is, yes I accept that his straight way of talking may offend some,but not all, there has been pleanty on here that would like to see him back.

I dont condemn any one for speaking their mind, no matter how, as long as it does not get personal, sadly at times some have got personal, but usually only when something has been said about them or they retaliate. I too have been been the victim in the past of people having a go at me because they didnt like what I said or didnt like my opinion. EG I have in the past said that some look at poch through rose tinted glasses as though he is some sort of Messiah, he's good no doubt about it, but boy did i get slated for it, but got me the most were those that always think their views are right, and pick you up on grammer and the likes, ie puncuation, spelling, then for for you have what I call the slide rule brigade saying if he had done this that or tother, he was brought on to late, he was the wrong sub, you know the sort all them that know better than the guy doing the job.

I am old school and just say what I feel based on what i see or hear on news, tv or at games. Whilst mentioning OGY he is one that does have a lot of inside info, his connections at the club are second to non, and like me is life long Spurs and for him a lot of the time knowing whats actually going on when he reads some of the stuff on here that he know not to be correct it winds him up a bit I guess, its worse still when the posters of such stuff do not really know them selves, hence my suggestion as above. :niceone:

Journo ! re ogy ! there is absolutely no point in being rude to people as he was on here .

Saying someone tells it as it is , is not really an excuse for being offensive on any opinions forum.

I always say if you wouldnt be like that face to face with someone then dont do it hiding behind keyboards..!

Re : grammar and punctuation ? well its how you define who you are arguing with when debating something , although i must say one of my best mates is a millionaire a few times over and cant spell for toffee ! i used to have to write important letters for him years back, so what do i know?

#16 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 22 January 2018 - 15:42

In fairness a lot of time he was provoked, in some manor, but not going down that route, it was merely a suggestion, that could benefit the site, that is why I suggested a subforum. There are some in my early days I could have banned without a seconfd thought but always gave benefit of doubt, despite at times myself being got at by the know alls, for having a humble opinion that didnt agre with theirs. :grinny:

Re grammer you say depends who you argue with, well in your own words we never know that because "Hidden behind a key board" you have to do it behind keyboard because you would probably never get to meet the person you are debating with. my point being like what happened with me more than once just as examples of grammer, to be told it should too and not to, you missed a hypen out, there should have been a comma there to highlight the next line etc, that is the sort of thing I mean. and no I am not saying we should use this stuff they call text speak, I dont understand it anyway, but because a debate doesnt go the way some want it to have that sort of stuff thrown at you to me is petty minded. :niceone:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#17 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 January 2018 - 16:42

View Postjourneyman, on 22 January 2018 - 15:42, said:

In fairness a lot of time he was provoked, in some manor, but not going down that route, it was merely a suggestion, that could benefit the site, that is why I suggested a subforum. There are some in my early days I could have banned without a seconfd thought but always gave benefit of doubt, despite at times myself being got at by the know alls, for having a humble opinion that didnt agre with theirs. :grinny:

Re grammer you say depends who you argue with, well in your own words we never know that because "Hidden behind a key board" you have to do it behind keyboard because you would probably never get to meet the person you are debating with. my point being like what happened with me more than once just as examples of grammer, to be told it should too and not to, you missed a hypen out, there should have been a comma there to highlight the next line etc, that is the sort of thing I mean. and no I am not saying we should use this stuff they call text speak, I dont understand it anyway, but because a debate doesnt go the way some want it to have that sort of stuff thrown at you to me is petty minded. :niceone:

Journo actually i read between the lines and dont take grammar into account but see the bigger picture(however explained) of the argument which i think is called discernment ?
To be honest as being on here since 2015 i saw ogy as basking in his own self importance and no one else,s opinion was of any consequence ? (to him anyway).
Personally i think admin have taken the right course of action regarding him and alisady or whatever he called himself.

I wont be on here much but have been involved for 14 years on spurs forums and trust me griff.dan and scout & a few others are the forum bankers and their opinion should go a long way in securing the future of this spurs forum.

Personally a thread for arguing bottom shedding producing big ego,s should be avoided big time.

You will lose the heart of your forum because of such posters.

#18 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 22 January 2018 - 18:45

What ever you say. But just remember takes to to tango.
over and out on this subject.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users