• You cannot reply to this topic

Technical Issues Thread Post any issues with the site in here

#1 User is offline   Chelsea Blue  

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:34

Since I can't start a new topic here...

To my knowledge there should be no more issues with people receiving a 404 error when trying to access the forums.

That's my fault -- both the authoritative DNS servers *and* the IP address of planetspurs.com (www.planetspurs.com is a CNAME...) were changed. That was the reason for the downtime.

I removed the holding page too soon, I really should have given it a full 36 hours or so to propagate given that both were changed.

If anyone you know is still experiencing problems, all I can suggest is that they reboot (I hate to sound like dude from the IT Crowd). Otherwise it's their upstream ISP's DNS servers not honouring TTL (time-to-live) on DNS records and hence the new records shall not have propagated that far. You could suggest to them to just use Google's public DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Respectfully yours,

SW6 friend of new board hoster.

[Edit: Mobile data providers - O2, Vodafone, etc. - are the worst for ignoring "time to live" on DNS records and letting their caching name servers hold outdated info. Complain to them...]

#2 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 14:09

Nice one mate many thanks indeed. :clap:
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#3 User is offline   Chelsea Blue  

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2013 - 16:30

You're most welcome :-).

If anyone finds any gremlins please report them. I'm seeing a lot of requests for "missing" images but they didn't exist on the old site either, as far as I can tell.

Any broken functionality etc. please report :).

This post has been edited by Chelsea Blue : 28 November 2013 - 16:30

#4 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 18:50

:niceone:
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#5 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:02

The only bad thing is that I still can't open on my PC, because Norton say's it's a virus?

#6 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2013 - 16:32

we've done everything to rectify that but it seems to just be a problem with Norton... We downloaded the whole website and ran a full deep virus scan on it, the hosts also ran a full scan on it and nothing was found.

Norton must be a Gooner

#7 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 12 December 2013 - 13:58

I know, but it's something with RSS feed system.
Luckily my phone and laptop don't have Norton

#8 User is offline   Chelsea Blue  

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:37

What's the actual error you're getting with Norton mate? Can you post a screen capture (Ctrl + PrtSc will copy it to the clipboard then whack it into MS Paint).

I found some bad stuff when I moved the forum but I'm not certain I cut it all out.

Also, Symantec (who bought Peter "Smug b@**ard" Norton's software) is an awful program.

#9 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:16

View PostChelsea Blue, on 27 December 2013 - 16:37, said:

What's the actual error you're getting with Norton mate? Can you post a screen capture (Ctrl + PrtSc will copy it to the clipboard then whack it into MS Paint).

I found some bad stuff when I moved the forum but I'm not certain I cut it all out.

Also, Symantec (who bought Peter "Smug b@**ard" Norton's software) is an awful program.

It looks like it's running now on my pc! Much easier typing than mobile/tablet!

#10 User is offline   1940Spursman8 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:obviously spurs-Xbox (Hayjax) music c/western.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 16:55

I am having to say with a very heavy heart that I am having to leave this site that means so much to me as there
are so many good posters on here and I love reading all of them.BUT the last three times I have been on here my
laptop has been compromised and the last time it got a virus that stopped me using my laptop and on each occasion
it has cost me a lot of money.So I would like to thank all the posters for all their good work specially Oggy and
Journeyman and specially the time when my wife was in hospital with cancer and all the support I received from all
of you guys.I will sorely miss you all and I will miss doing my posts on here.I know the troubles I got were from
this site because PC world put my laptop back to it's original state and said PlanetSpurs was where I got all my
problems from.So again thank you all for all your posts I have read and I will miss you all.Thanks again.

1940Spursman8...coys////////////////////////////

#11 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 June 2015 - 17:41

View Post1940Spursman8, on 08 June 2015 - 16:55, said:

I am having to say with a very heavy heart that I am having to leave this site that means so much to me as there
are so many good posters on here and I love reading all of them.BUT the last three times I have been on here my
laptop has been compromised and the last time it got a virus that stopped me using my laptop and on each occasion
it has cost me a lot of money.So I would like to thank all the posters for all their good work specially Oggy and
Journeyman and specially the time when my wife was in hospital with cancer and all the support I received from all
of you guys.I will sorely miss you all and I will miss doing my posts on here.I know the troubles I got were from
this site because PC world put my laptop back to it's original state and said PlanetSpurs was where I got all my
problems from.So again thank you all for all your posts I have read and I will miss you all.Thanks again.

Sad to hear your leaving mate, loved your posts. Can't imagine a virus from this site? (since it has no interaction with your pc??!)
We'll look into this with the admin team. Thanks for sharing anyhow.
Hope to see you around soon.

#12 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 June 2015 - 19:51

View Post1940Spursman8, on 08 June 2015 - 16:55, said:

I don't get any virus or any problems from visting this site.

#13 User is offline   AntHollick7 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2015 - 20:33

This is a shame. I hope that you can remain in contact with us on here and it doesn't adversely effect your computer.
Stay safe and well
Coys
I said I was the greatest, before I even knew I was. - Muhammad Ali

#14 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 June 2015 - 20:40

It will be a shame if you can't post. Admin should be able to make sure there are no viruses on the site, but it is only you having a problem apparently.

PC World aren't the smartest, and I would be looking at getting a better malaware and anti-virus protection rather than leave us.

Hope you get it sorted.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#15 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:32

Haven't had any other complaints about a virus from the site. We have no ads on the site or pop ups which is often how viruses sneak in. We're very vigilant on posts by bots or spammers and the data on the server hasn't been updated in quite some time so to suddenly get a virus would be very strange.

If it has come from here I'm very sorry but I don't see how it could be so. I echo Greaves on PC World not being the best place to take a laptop for repair or diagnosis so hopefully they've got it wrong and we can get you back on here. Will drop an email to you once I've had some techies double check there's no way it could come from here.

#16 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:09

I have had a notification about a virus popup before not sure whether it was Firefox or google.

Either way a site like this is very very unlikely to compromise a PC.

Do you have antivirus, and if you do what type? Also, has it been installed immediately when bought or at some point after?

McAfee, Norton, Kasperky aren't that good and are prone to raising false alarms due to cookies.

Stick with Eset, or Bullguard and download a free copy of CC Cleaner. I recommend cc cleaner to everybody, it's not an antivirus but it cleans up things you couldn't possibly do yourself. (Doesnt delete files apart from those in your trash bin)

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Cc cleaner is amazing. The next best thing to wiping your PC.

1. Install CCcleaner

2. On cleaner tab, click analyse (may take some time), click run cleaner delete. (This will clear trash bins, wipe internet cache and history and internal memory build up)

3. Click on registry tab, scan for issues. Fix and delete. (No need for backups)

4. Tools -'> Startup > (here you can disable programmes at startup like utorrent, Dropbox etc. Programmes shouldn't be loaded when your not using them as it slows down your PC)

Doing the above before and after installing software is recommended. And do it once every few days or so anyway. Takes 5 minutes.

If you reinstall windows and your drivers, Add antivirus from the beginning and use cc cleaner your PC will perform.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#17 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:37

Or just install win 8?

#18 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:33

View PostFlying_Dutchman, on 11 June 2015 - 09:37, said:

Or just install win 8?

Windows 8 is trying so hard to be an app based programme when a PC or laptop should be the very opposite.

Windows 7 is much more stable and practical. 8 has an unnecessary learning curve and extra bits that put pressure on the CPU for no reason.

Win 7 Professional is the best windows OS out there. I'd rather XP ultimate than Win 8.

It's barely better than vista!
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#19 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:43

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 11 June 2015 - 12:33, said:

Windows 8 is trying so hard to be an app based programme when a PC or laptop should be the very opposite.

Windows 7 is much more stable and practical. 8 has an unnecessary learning curve and extra bits that put pressure on the CPU for no reason.

Win 7 Professional is the best windows OS out there. I'd rather XP ultimate than Win 8.

It's barely better than vista!

Except for the fact that I don't even have to use a firewall or an antivirus and don't have problems at all.

#20 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 June 2015 - 13:03

I use CC and it is a good tool.

AVG is what I use for av, and I have no problems on the two laptops and I desktop I have as far as viruses are concerned.

The newest laptop is W8 and I really don't like it as it seems so counter-intuitive. Got used to it but still considering converting to W7.

It seems not to like Firefox and went pop-up crazy despite it supposedly being compatible, and Ad-blocker helped but didn't eradicate it. I found Chrome solved that issue.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users