• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hugo Lloris

#341 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 02 April 2019 - 21:38

View Posttomtom, on 02 April 2019 - 21:21, said:

Agree Will.

I remember Harry slating Gomes and dropping him after his gaffes. Friedel came in and steadied the ship well when we needed it. But Friedel was over the hill and all our coaches were on at Harry to give Gomes another shot as he was smashing it in training and they felt he'd be putting points on the board for us.

It's so hard with Hugo for me. A couple seasons ago he was my favourite player but he's just been so inconsistent this season and for a lot of last season too. I'd love him to turn a corner and put in Dortmund like performances for the rest of the season. I feel like most of his mistakes are mental, he's still a phenomenal shot stopper.

It's cobblers, he's dropped a few rickets but the team isn't playing as well as a whole all season long. The Defence, the midfield, Kane, Alli, all numerous injuries. The stadium has been mentally draining. Hugo has made some outstanding stops this season, and every season. His penalty saves have earned recent points and we'd be stuffed proper without those. He's not been at his best in a team that hasn't been at it's best.

He's a victim of his own previous standards, standards I've never seen from a Spurs keeper in decades of watching them. So much so that we expect him never to drop a clanger and people actually think Butland is better. Hilairious.

There was a time when the rest of the team got slaughtered because we relied to much on Lloris making great stops. He cocked up big time against Pool and has looked more troubled this year. But that defence doesn't give anyone the confidence it did for that truly amazing 18 months of dominance that now seems a distant memory. He's dropped off in conjunction with all of them, hanging him leaves a nasty taste in the mouth that's for sure.

#342 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 April 2019 - 23:32

That's fair Yids and perhaps I've overreacted to the Liverpool one as it was such a sucker punch after the 2nd half display. I've made the point about the ever changing defence being a problem as you can't get into a groove if you don't know who is going to be where because it changes each time.

But him having made 2nd most errors leading to goals in the league is damning, and unfortunately his also having one of the highest save percentages doesn't balance it out.

7 more league clean sheets and he's back in my good books though. Or just 5 in the CL lol

#343 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 April 2019 - 23:51

View Posttomtom, on 02 April 2019 - 23:32, said:

That's fair Yids and perhaps I've overreacted to the Liverpool one as it was such a sucker punch after the 2nd half display. I've made the point about the ever changing defence being a problem as you can't get into a groove if you don't know who is going to be where because it changes each time.

But him having made 2nd most errors leading to goals in the league is damning, and unfortunately his also having one of the highest save percentages doesn't balance it out.

7 more league clean sheets and he's back in my good books though. Or just 5 in the CL lol

Fair enough, he pissed us all off big time. The problem is there are numerous other issues going on and although hard to forgive what looked like a really soft gaff, whilst those other issues remain it's hard to just throw him on the scrape heap.

This team has been found out somewhat. Our FB's get targeted and our CB and CM core doesn't perform anywhere near how it did. The confidence is key and we don't protect a lead very well and fair better chasing a game. It's been a weird 12 months to say the least.

#344 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 06 April 2019 - 23:29

Iím sorry but I feel his day is done.

The drunk driving should have been the perfect opportunity to pass captaincy on to Kane or Jan.

Heís cost us more than heís earned points wise this year, and i feel like we could use the funds elsewhere.

I think itís one of those scenarios setup for hindsight where we will have fond things to say about him, but will all point out how itís more suitable to have a keeper who can play with his feet.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#345 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 April 2019 - 22:51

Yet again silenced the doubters with a huge performance in our biggest game of the season vs city in the quarter final of the CL. Great pen save and he has proved a few of us wrong ...myself included! CONSISTENCY please from now on Hugo

#346 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:11

He was immense. Faster off his line than he's been lately and a very good save for the pen.

Must help him having the defence playing really well in front of him and vice versa. Where's that defensive discipline been for most of the rest of the season?

#347 User is online   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:44

Never doubted that the ability was there but itís the consistency. Letís hope he keeps this level for the rest of the season, we are going to need him.

#348 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 May 2019 - 23:57

Not been mentioned, but his save at the end was proper.

#349 User is offline   Hurrikane 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:44

World Cup Final (Winner) and Champions League Final (Insert Here)

Immense last night!

#350 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:46

View PostYidio Yidio, on 08 May 2019 - 23:57, said:

Not been mentioned, but his save at the end was proper.

He had a couple others too. Big game, big performance. COYS.

#351 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:53

View PostHurrikane, on 09 May 2019 - 07:44, said:

World Cup Final (Winner) and Champions League Final (Insert Here)

Winner...

#352 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 May 2019 - 17:18

View Posttomtom, on 09 May 2019 - 09:46, said:

He had a couple others too. Big game, big performance. COYS.

True

#353 User is offline   electricpace 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2019 - 13:05

May not be an issue in the summer as PSG are rumoured to be prepping a bid for him.

#354 User is online   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 20 May 2019 - 13:08

View Postelectricpace, on 20 May 2019 - 13:05, said:

May not be an issue in the summer as PSG are rumoured to be prepping a bid for him.

He has improved recently to be fair to him, but what a way to go out if he can lift the CL as our captain! I would miss him if he left to be honest, been a great servant to the club.

#355 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 20 May 2019 - 13:10

How many have won the world cup and CL within 12 months of each other? Let alone as Captain. And to think he might do all that during probably the worst form of his career lol.

#356 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:32

Just seen that last season we had the 2nd highest save percentage in the league after Liverpool.

Obviously Gazza played a couple games but I've not got the player stats.

I guess Hugo had an alright season in the end.

#357 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:51

View Posttomtom, on 16 August 2019 - 09:32, said:

Just seen that last season we had the 2nd highest save percentage in the league after Liverpool.

Obviously Gazza played a couple games but I've not got the player stats.

I guess Hugo had an alright season in the end.

Says it all, below his usual standards but well above most others.

#358 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:09

I'm not sure I rate him overall as top 3 keeper in the league any more, he doesn't come off his line like he used to but I think that's Poch's decision. However that speed off his line was what he did better than any other keeper probably in the world, he snuffed out so many chances. We'd have been nowhere near top 6 under AVB without him. Fact we had one of the best defences in the league statistically with Kaboul and Dawson says a lot.

He's still probably top 5 or 6 in the league behind Alison, Ederson and arguably De Gea, Kepa and a couple mid-lower table keepers give him a run for their money.

#359 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:33

View Posttomtom, on 16 August 2019 - 10:09, said:

I'm not sure I rate him overall as top 3 keeper in the league any more, he doesn't come off his line like he used to but I think that's Poch's decision. However that speed off his line was what he did better than any other keeper probably in the world, he snuffed out so many chances. We'd have been nowhere near top 6 under AVB without him. Fact we had one of the best defences in the league statistically with Kaboul and Dawson says a lot.

He's still probably top 5 or 6 in the league behind Alison, Ederson and arguably De Gea, Kepa and a couple mid-lower table keepers give him a run for their money.

Simple answer, without his better performances last season, we don't make top 4. Did his plus out weigh his minus ? Yes, I think it did when the qualification line was so fine.

Top keepers usually have top defence in front of them. Scmicheal, Seaman, were they going to stand out in average teams ? Is Pickford on a par with De Gea ?

Lloris is definitely the best Spurs Keeper in my time, the guy regularly made saves that other keepers just wouldn't have made. But, he's slowing down. Still better than Gazza though.

#360 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:35

Maybe should have slagged him off, he always comes back with a top performance when someone does :niceone:

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users