• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Erik Lamela

#1 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 22 February 2016 - 15:02

Does anyone know where's he's got to the last couple of games? Not in either match day squads? We have definitely missed him! Injury or something I assume??

#2 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2016 - 15:53

He's been sick as far as I know

#3 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 22 February 2016 - 17:03

It's quite often that I only appreciate how much Lamela adds to the team when he doesn't play. If I'm honest, I'd pick him ahead of Son atm.

#4 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 February 2016 - 17:07

View PostYidio Yidio, on 22 February 2016 - 17:03, said:

It's quite often that I only appreciate how much Lamela adds to the team when he doesn't play. If I'm honest, I'd pick him ahead of Son atm.

Yep me too
Lamela is & has been quality for the most part this season really hope he's back Thursday

#5 User is offline   ballyerspur 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2016 - 18:12

Get well soon Eric We miss you
To Dare is to Do Now is the Hour

#6 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 22 February 2016 - 18:39

Cheers lads ...get well soon Lamela!

#7 User is offline   Notabadsquad 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2016 - 22:43

On Lamela there can be no doubt he works exceptionally hard for the team.

However he did cost close to 30 million pounds and for that and given who left, albeit for a World record fee, I think he needs to score more goals.

When you see Mahrez who cost a piddling amount by comparison scoring and making the goals he does, it is right to expect more.

That Pochettino favours him so much is not a bad thing but I would call his return on our investment not very good thus far.

#8 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 00:02

View PostThiscouldbeouryear, on 05 March 2016 - 22:43, said:

On Lamela there can be no doubt he works exceptionally hard for the team.

However he did cost close to 30 million pounds and for that and given who left, albeit for a World record fee, I think he needs to score more goals.

When you see Mahrez who cost a piddling amount by comparison scoring and making the goals he does, it is right to expect more.

That Pochettino favours him so much is not a bad thing but I would call his return on our investment not very good thus far.

Thiscouldbeyouryear they are not stupid they know he lacks quality in parts of his game and probably won't get any better but at least he is trying, his work rate is exceptionally and talent wise he is not any better then the players we got rid of.

#9 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 00:10

I thought Lamela had a good game today, he's never looked like a 30 mill player but Ozil didn't look twice as good as him today either.

Lamela is better than Townsend, and Lennon didn't buy into Poch.

He does add more to the team than it appears on the face of it, I'd still pick him ahead of Son atm. I'm not sure we'd have lost today if he had stayed on but fully endorse the decision to take him off.

#10 User is offline   Notabadsquad 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2016 - 00:23

Both posts I accept but a player should give work rate.

For 30 million pounds you want quality that sets that individual apart from the rest. You are looking for a match winner in other words.

Does Lamela really do that anymore say than Rode does from left back?

It's a bit of a conundrum to me.

#11 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:02

View PostThiscouldbeouryear, on 06 March 2016 - 00:23, said:

Both posts I accept but a player should give work rate.

For 30 million pounds you want quality that sets that individual apart from the rest. You are looking for a match winner in other words.

Does Lamela really do that anymore say than Rode does from left back?

It's a bit of a conundrum to me.

A player should, but doesn't always, you can't just dismiss it as a minimum requirement. Lamela is very good in this department is a big plus on his side and why he survived where Townsend didn't.

We've all agreed that Lamela was to expensive at the time of his purchase, but that was the going rate and how many have complained when we have stepped away from an expensive deal. Berahino ????

The league is full of expensive players, I would never have paid out for any 30 mill player, the true art is finding a Delle Alli or Eric Dier and making them into a star.

I've argued this point with you on many different transfer issues, but you refuse to get it. You didn't before, and you don't now, infact it's the same s*** as always just with a different name.

#12 User is offline   Notabadsquad 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:09

View PostYidio Yidio, on 06 March 2016 - 01:02, said:

A player should, but doesn't always, you can't just dismiss it as a minimum requirement. Lamela is very good in this department is a big plus on his side and why he survived where Townsend didn't.

We've all agreed that Lamela was to expensive at the time of his purchase, but that was the going rate and how many have complained when we have stepped away from an expensive deal. Berahino ????

The league is full of expensive players, I would never have paid out for any 30 mill player, the true art is finding a Delle Alli or Eric Dier and making them into a star.

I've argued this point with you on many different transfer issues, but you refuse to get it. You didn't before, and you don't now, infact it's the same s*** as always just with a different name.

Not quite.

I do believe you often pay for quality. Even now if you had this season's Premier team many would have been bought at a princely sum.

It is just unlikely to be that an Alli or a Dier can now be the template for the future. No doubt Levy hopes this is the case and fans like you are now beginning to fear paying hard money for anyone.

What Leicester are doing this season is freakish. Unheard of and quite unbelievable.

You keep thinking Pochettino can do as Rumpelstiltskin did. I am no great fan of fairytales even if Leicester are about to be the Goldilocks of the Premier League.

#13 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:21

View PostThiscouldbeouryear, on 06 March 2016 - 01:09, said:

Not quite.

I do believe you often pay for quality. Even now if you had this season's Premier team many would have been bought at a princely sum.

It is just unlikely to be that an Alli or a Dier can now be the template for the future. No doubt Levy hopes this is the case and fans like you are now beginning to fear paying hard money for anyone.

What Leicester are doing this season is freakish. Unheard of and quite unbelievable.

You keep thinking Pochettino can do as Rumpelstiltskin did. I am no great fan of fairytales even if Leicester are about to be the Goldilocks of the Premier League.

That's the problem, you refuse to believe your own eyes, You pay for s*** as often as quality. Terry Henry, was in-expensive, Cantona was in-expensive. Vardy, Pelle, Michu, Bony, Llalana

Nearly every player sold by a prem club to a prem club was cheap first time up. Idiots with money have brain washed you into wanting a quick fix that you somehow believe is attainable for your club.

Bale, wasn't overly expensive when we bought him, you've convinced yourself that acting like Madrid or Man City is an option. For every Modric there is a Bentley, I've told this before but it gets ignored.

Brush it all off as a freak, but this club must learn from previous failings otherwise nothing changes and believe me, you need to broaden your thought process and see what works rather than call for expensive signings.

You won't change though, you can't, you will always revert to type. A leopard can hide, but he can't change his spots.

#14 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:46

I like Lamela! Works the hardest on the pitch most games! I'd rather see him start than Chadli or Son! I agree that he should be scoring more goals but when you watch him play he's not selfish enough, he's always looking for the pass rather than to shoot on goal.

He was never worth 30m, and still isn't, but he's not bad and this year he's been the most improved player...who knows, maybe next year he could come on even more and start scoring?????

#15 User is offline   Notabadsquad 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:53

View PostYidio Yidio, on 06 March 2016 - 01:21, said:

That's the problem, you refuse to believe your own eyes, You pay for s*** as often as quality. Terry Henry, was in-expensive, Cantona was in-expensive. Vardy, Pelle, Michu, Bony, Llalana

Nearly every player sold by a prem club to a prem club was cheap first time up. Idiots with money have brain washed you into wanting a quick fix that you somehow believe is attainable for your club.

Bale, wasn't overly expensive when we bought him, you've convinced yourself that acting like Madrid or Man City is an option. For every Modric there is a Bentley, I've told this before but it gets ignored.

Brush it all off as a freak, but this club must learn from previous failings otherwise nothing changes and believe me, you need to broaden your thought process and see what works rather than call for expensive signings.

You won't change though, you can't, you will always revert to type. A leopard can hide, but he can't change his spots.

What you have done there is state the case for why we should have bought a relatively inexpensive striker.

Player development is one part. Buying real quality and with all due respect Bale was costly at the time. Levy just took advantage of Southampton's financial weakness to get a better deal.

We just differ on the matter. Not a big deal

#16 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:57

View PostThiscouldbeouryear, on 06 March 2016 - 09:53, said:

What you have done there is state the case for why we should have bought a relatively inexpensive striker.

Player development is one part. Buying real quality and with all due respect Bale was costly at the time. Levy just took advantage of Southampton's financial weakness to get a better deal.

We just differ on the matter. Not a big deal

Not at all, what I have done is explain why you are saying one thing about the price of Lamela, yet often saying we should have shelled out on Berahino.

But we all want to be right, so no, it's not a big deal.

#17 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:30

If he stays for another few years and plays every week like he has been it will be value for money overall think it was 26m but I'd say Levy has a load of terms & conditions add in

#18 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 March 2016 - 23:27

9 goals in 33 appearances in all comps this season. Never understand the "not a watch winner" argument some make about him. He has literally won matches for us with goals and assists no other player would make. I'd like him to do it more often but he's still probably at least 2-3 seasons away from being at his peak.

Thing is - if he doesn't score a goal or provide an assists you still get a big contribution from him due to his work rate. Not saying he's a 30M player but having just turned 24 and to be close to 1 goal in 3 from midfield, bagging assists and to my eye being the best presser in our team I can't think of many 30M players I'd be swapping him for in our first 11. Better alternatives are probably in the 40-50M range these days.

Chadli seems more clinical but if he doesn't provide a goal I'd say our team shame and performance as a whole suffers from having him on the pitch rather than Lamela. I still have faith Lamela will keep developing physically, he's clearly adjusted to the pace of the prem this season but he's not quite got the knack of how to be as prolific as he was in Italy - if that comes he'll justify his price tag and probably attract a higher price if well him.

#19 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2016 - 23:48

apparently he's not good enough for us and where we want to be . 2nd isn't good enough :wtf:

2 games without a win and the idiots climb out of the swamp.

#20 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 07 March 2016 - 16:00

View Posttomtom, on 06 March 2016 - 23:27, said:

9 goals in 33 appearances in all comps this season. Never understand the "not a watch winner" argument some make about him. He has literally won matches for us with goals and assists no other player would make. I'd like him to do it more often but he's still probably at least 2-3 seasons away from being at his peak.

Thing is - if he doesn't score a goal or provide an assists you still get a big contribution from him due to his work rate. Not saying he's a 30M player but having just turned 24 and to be close to 1 goal in 3 from midfield, bagging assists and to my eye being the best presser in our team I can't think of many 30M players I'd be swapping him for in our first 11. Better alternatives are probably in the 40-50M range these days.

Chadli seems more clinical but if he doesn't provide a goal I'd say our team shame and performance as a whole suffers from having him on the pitch rather than Lamela. I still have faith Lamela will keep developing physically, he's clearly adjusted to the pace of the prem this season but he's not quite got the knack of how to be as prolific as he was in Italy - if that comes he'll justify his price tag and probably attract a higher price if well him.

Great post! Lamela has been awesome this season!

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users