• You cannot reply to this topic

Marcus Edwards

#41 User is offline   ComeOnYouSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 10 July 2016 - 22:10

Yep I saw that aswell :)

Guy on Twitter who dedicates a page to our youth set up. Pretty reliable I think

#42 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2016 - 22:12

This is like a new signing best under 18 player in the country high hopes for him

#43 User is offline   ComeOnYouSpurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:25

https://www.facebook...53828085098505/

#44 User is offline   ComeOnYouSpurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:26

Nice assist for the 2nd and goal for the 3rd.

Hopefully start seeing a bit more of him this season!

#45 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 24 July 2016 - 13:54

I know it is a bit early to judge him , I think he could save us money looking for a VDV or Modric because he has that potential to be really good, under Poch I think he has the right manager for him to develop into a real star.

#46 User is offline   ComeOnYouSpurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 02 August 2016 - 20:52

Finally coming out that he's agreed that deal

#47 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:13

View PostSpurs scout, on 24 July 2016 - 13:54, said:

I know it is a bit early to judge him , I think he could save us money looking for a VDV or Modric because he has that potential to be really good, under Poch I think he has the right manager for him to develop into a real star.

This guy has the most potential in our entire squad...I hope Poch develops him well and we get a little glimpse of him in some cup games etc this year!

#48 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:33

View PostSpursDan, on 08 August 2016 - 04:13, said:

This guy has the most potential in our entire squad...I hope Poch develops him well and we get a little glimpse of him in some cup games etc this year!

The most potential is largely a very silly comment. Is it based on a couple of sub appearances or on games against other players of his age. I get fed up of comments about our potential, about time we fulfilled that potential and bought a few top drawer players to do that.

#49 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:25

View Postgriff, on 08 August 2016 - 06:33, said:

The most potential is largely a very silly comment. Is it based on a couple of sub appearances or on games against other players of his age. I get fed up of comments about our potential, about time we fulfilled that potential and bought a few top drawer players to do that.

Why is the the 'most potential' comment largely stupid?
I very rarely get to see the youth of tomorrow play so it's hard for me to judge, maybe spurs dan has seen this boy play and can see what he has to offer.

Again maybe I'm in a minority but I feel proud that my club is trying to promote within rather than spend £89mil on a product released from your own academy four years ago.

#50 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:41

View Postwillyid82, on 08 August 2016 - 07:25, said:

Why is the the 'most potential' comment largely stupid?
I very rarely get to see the youth of tomorrow play so it's hard for me to judge, maybe spurs dan has seen this boy play and can see what he has to offer.

Again maybe I'm in a minority but I feel proud that my club is trying to promote within rather than spend £89mil on a product released from your own academy four years ago.

Cannot have the most potential in the whole squad simply because he has no experience of 1st team action. You say it's hard for you to judge because you rarely see our youth of tomorrow so how can you make such a bold comment about him having more potential than anyone,even in our 1st team squad.

#51 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:06

View Postgriff, on 08 August 2016 - 10:41, said:

Cannot have the most potential in the whole squad simply because he has no experience of 1st team action. You say it's hard for you to judge because you rarely see our youth of tomorrow so how can you make such a bold comment about him having more potential than anyone,even in our 1st team squad.

Griff, I have not posted that this guy has the most potential in our squad I'm saying that you can't just dismiss the fact spurs dan or anyone who may watch or follow the youth set up see what this boy is capable of or potentially capable of.

We now have a manager who is willing to give young players a chance to progress so I can not understand why you would deem another posters comment to be stupid if he follows or watches the youth set up and knows what this boy can potentially bring.

How many would have posted thay alli would be a vital member of our first eleven at the beginning of last season?

#52 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:17

View Postgriff, on 08 August 2016 - 10:41, said:

Griff your comments are pretty strange, I think Spurs Dan means he has the talent and the potential to one day be better then any player in our first team. Currently when we talk about potential, it is to do with his talent, players of this talent don't come along to often in our Acadmeys, extremely technical gifted on the ball, two footed, can see a pass , fantanstic close control and was voted the best player in the world under 18 tournament, looks on a different level when playing with players his age. Whether he fulfils that talent and go on to be a world class player, that is up to him and how well his talent is nurtured. From what I have seen of him, he does not look ready physically because he is still basically a boy. I have confidence that he will develop well under Poch because the likes of Winks, Onomah looks ready to play in the premiership.

#53 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:07

I see SpursDan's point and also see griff's.

All of us I am sure love the idea of having an Academy that produces talent and, if it is of the right quality, it leading to a team full of them winning stuff. No other PL club Academy seems to be knocking out loads of PL quality graduates (Liverpool have produced two I can think of but that's about it), however the 'potential' card has been played so often in the last few years for us without it really turning into reality.

For a while we heard how Carroll was THE one, a superstar in the making. He wasn't, so then it was Pritchard, with people saying he is better than Carroll. That seems not to be true, so now Edwards is being bigged up as better than both. Less hype wouldn't be a bad thing.

Since King, Kane is probably the only genuinely successful Academy player isn't he? - Lennon, Walker, Bale etc didn't come through our Academy. Bentaleb and Mason are the best of the rest who are good enough for the PL, but it's not quite what many of us expected / expect from all the talk of potential.

Now that Inglethorpe, Ramsay, Sherwood and Ferdinand have gone, is the current staff set-up better or worse?
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#54 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 08 August 2016 - 13:17

It is impossible to know whether a player can step up from youth level to seniors, it's as much to do with physical development as it is mentality BUT I'd agree Edwards has the most potential.

The fact Madrid and Barcelona were trying to poach him off us and the fact his skills on the ball have been compared to Messi, not to mention being considered one of the most valuable 17 year olds on the planet tells you that most of the knowledgeable people in youth football consider him to have nearly unrivalled potential.

#55 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 13:31

View Posttomtom, on 08 August 2016 - 13:17, said:

It is impossible to know whether a player can step up from youth level to seniors, it's as much to do with physical development as it is mentality BUT I'd agree Edwards has the most potential.

The fact Madrid and Barcelona were trying to poach him off us and the fact his skills on the ball have been compared to Messi, not to mention being considered one of the most valuable 17 year olds on the planet tells you that most of the knowledgeable people in youth football consider him to have nearly unrivalled potential.

I agree

#56 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 August 2016 - 14:08

View PostMr. Greaves, on 08 August 2016 - 12:07, said:

I see SpursDan's point and also see griff's.

All of us I am sure love the idea of having an Academy that produces talent and, if it is of the right quality, it leading to a team full of them winning stuff. No other PL club Academy seems to be knocking out loads of PL quality graduates (Liverpool have produced two I can think of but that's about it), however the 'potential' card has been played so often in the last few years for us without it really turning into reality.

For a while we heard how Carroll was THE one, a superstar in the making. He wasn't, so then it was Pritchard, with people saying he is better than Carroll. That seems not to be true, so now Edwards is being bigged up as better than both. Less hype wouldn't be a bad thing.

Since King, Kane is probably the only genuinely successful Academy player isn't he? - Lennon, Walker, Bale etc didn't come through our Academy. Bentaleb and Mason are the best of the rest who are good enough for the PL, but it's not quite what many of us expected / expect from all the talk of potential.

Now that Inglethorpe, Ramsay, Sherwood and Ferdinand have gone, is the current staff set-up better or worse?

Yep I think we all make good points. We all agree Edwards has huge potential and COULD be brilliant but it is early days and we shouldn't put pressure on the lad (which maybe my comment did).

I think sometimes it doesn't help to 'big up' young players...you mention Carroll and Pritch but I mean look at STERLING?!

#57 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 16:37

View Postwillyid82, on 08 August 2016 - 11:06, said:

Griff, I have not posted that this guy has the most potential in our squad I'm saying that you can't just dismiss the fact spurs dan or anyone who may watch or follow the youth set up see what this boy is capable of or potentially capable of.

We now have a manager who is willing to give young players a chance to progress so I can not understand why you would deem another posters comment to be stupid if he follows or watches the youth set up and knows what this boy can potentially bring.

How many would have posted thay alli would be a vital member of our first eleven at the beginning of last season?

Quote...' The most potential in our entire squad'

#58 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 August 2016 - 16:45

View Postgriff, on 08 August 2016 - 16:37, said:

Quote...' The most potential in our entire squad'

Have a read again , I have not quoted this as I have not seen him play enough

#59 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:55

Just to end this debate....How can a young kid have the most potential in our entire squad when he has only had a couple of 1st team sub appearances in a couple of pre season friendlies. In those games he did not do much of note.Ifvwe are talking of players wo have the most potential it should be be Kane, Alli and Dier who have shown hey have the potential to be huge stars.

#60 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:42

View Postgriff, on 09 August 2016 - 05:55, said:

Just to end this debate....How can a young kid have the most potential in our entire squad when he has only had a couple of 1st team sub appearances in a couple of pre season friendlies. In those games he did not do much of note.Ifvwe are talking of players wo have the most potential it should be be Kane, Alli and Dier who have shown hey have the potential to be huge stars.

potential
pə(ʊ)ˈtɛnʃ(ə)l/
adjective
having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.

All I was saying was that he COULD be a star of the future. Don't look into it too much griff.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users