• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Harry winks

#81 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:16

Winks is playing as a DM. He was our deepest midfielder when we were in possession. He's been tasked with playing it simple I'm 99% sure.

I think we missed Dier yesterday personally. When he's back I suspect we'll see more forward momentum from Winks and probably him rotating with Sissoko.

#82 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:40

Hurts to say this but I think Harry has turned into a squad player. Technically a gifted player and a good academy product but hasnít moved on where as Mr Kane has.

Iím not sure what heís meant to bring to the game. He doesnít score, create or disrupt. Maybe a different formation would create a role for him.

#83 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:30

https://twitter.com/...8181387264?s=19

How's this for disrupting? Won the ball back in a 50/50 cleaned out the player then sent the next presser to the shops with a beautiful dummy.

Winks wasn't the problem in the game, our setup was. Having 3 deeper lying midfielders and no Dele, Son or Eriksen to connect them with our attack meant they were all occupying the same space and achieving little against 10-11 men behind the ball. If he stays fit he'll be big for us this season imo, might be Sissoko who loses out though.

#84 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:13

One swallow does not make a summer, a bit like Jenas. Nice looking all round player but in 135 games, 5 goals and 2 assists is not offensive so he has to be a bad a$$ in the tackle. If you want that you go for Dier or Wanyama in my eyes. Both have a better goal, assist record and are stronger in the tackle.

However it seems at present it's a straight fight between Winks and Sissoko to partner Ndombele. Moussa is stronger in all departments, tackling, speed, assists and believe it or not finishing, not that you would think that on Saturday. Maybe Harry just plays very deep like Pirlo and is the glue in the team. The equivalent of Mike Brealey for those who remember him playing cricket for England.

I am yet to be convinced although I would love him to flourish like Kane has

#85 User is online   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 12 August 2019 - 13:52

Winksy always looks better against better opposition. When it's more important to keep the ball and look after it. He just doesn't have much sharp end to his game. But then I've pointed that out about Danny Rose and not many agree.

We want squad depth, Winks is one of those that gives us that and I doubt anyone really knows our strongest 11 at present.

#86 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:03

View Postfentonroad, on 12 August 2019 - 11:13, said:

One swallow does not make a summer, a bit like Jenas. Nice looking all round player but in 135 games, 5 goals and 2 assists is not offensive so he has to be a bad a$$ in the tackle. If you want that you go for Dier or Wanyama in my eyes. Both have a better goal, assist record and are stronger in the tackle.

However it seems at present it's a straight fight between Winks and Sissoko to partner Ndombele. Moussa is stronger in all departments, tackling, speed, assists and believe it or not finishing, not that you would think that on Saturday. Maybe Harry just plays very deep like Pirlo and is the glue in the team. The equivalent of Mike Brealey for those who remember him playing cricket for England.

I am yet to be convinced although I would love him to flourish like Kane has

Winks is a very different player to Sissoko. Sissoko is more similar to Ndombele - my gut tells me a Winks Ndombele partnership is the one most likely to reap benefits. We shall see however.

#87 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:25

Sad thing is Ndombele has already matched Winks' goal involvement of last season over 41 games in 1 game. I've always seen Winks as the creator of the two of him and Sissoko but it appears not. My heart would love to see Tanguy and Harry partnership flourish but my head says Ndomebele and either Sissoko or Dier.

#88 User is online   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:12

View Postfentonroad, on 12 August 2019 - 15:25, said:

Sad thing is Ndombele has already matched Winks' goal involvement of last season over 41 games in 1 game. I've always seen Winks as the creator of the two of him and Sissoko but it appears not. My heart would love to see Tanguy and Harry partnership flourish but my head says Ndomebele and either Sissoko or Dier.

Winks does what his manager asks, it might not make him stand out, but it will to the manager. Would those 3 be a good idea against City ? We'll be defending more and playing more on the counter next week.

Most will scream that Eriksen has to start, but if it were me, I'd be starting with the same midfield and sacrifice either Lamela or Moura to bring in Verts. It's horses for courses and to my mind we need to stay in the game then bring on the likes of Lamela and Eriksen later in the game if we need something.

#89 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:21

View PostYidio Yidio, on 12 August 2019 - 16:12, said:

Winks does what his manager asks, it might not make him stand out, but it will to the manager. Would those 3 be a good idea against City ? We'll be defending more and playing more on the counter next week.

Most will scream that Eriksen has to start, but if it were me, I'd be starting with the same midfield and sacrifice either Lamela or Moura to bring in Verts. It's horses for courses and to my mind we need to stay in the game then bring on the likes of Lamela and Eriksen later in the game if we need something.

Spot on on Winks. He's not there for his goal contributions. The thing is we do sacrifice some defensive sturdiness if we pick him as the deepest CM, but it's obvious he's been tasked with recycling possession and not driving forward too much when Sissoko is on the pitch - I'd imagine that will be the same as Ndombele. He's not really a DM, but he's shackled more than a box to box. It's a fairly unique role but it's one he's done admirably.

I'd have Sissoko stalk De Bruyne all game. Don't care if he just boots it out for a throw in every time, whatever we can do to disrupt his input.

Beyond that I'm glad it's not me picking the team. So many variables and I have no idea how we should do it.

#90 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:55

Think if I was picking the team and not considering opposition, our best current line up, ignoring injuries, suspensions, contract wrangles and basing it on form:

Lloris
KWP Toby Jan Rose
Sissoko Ndombele
Eriksen
Moura Kane Son

#91 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2019 - 18:15

Winks is a good player but he is not a defensive midfielder and does not do well in a three. Poch's experimentation with the diamond has never paid off imo, and has cost us a lot when the other team is counter-attacking.

Winks and Sissoko are a good back up partnership, especially in Europe, but in the Premier League I'd prefer N'Dombele and a fully fit Dier/Wanyama/Skipp/Sell all of them and buy a real DM.

#92 User is offline   PH1882 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2019 - 19:11

Underrated a la Michael Carrick.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic