• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Techno

#1 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 18:07

Thought I would start something on these subjects, phones, pc's, laptops, tablets, what ever.

My question is Im not a techno wizzard, but who has i pad air2? I am toying with the idea of getting one, some say get the biggest memory you can afford, spme say get it so you can make calls!!, all sounds a bit highbrow for me.

I just really want it to store some photos, (used to store on an archos 705, but it damaged some photos somehow, so gave it away)and store some music, and some documents. its nice to take away, especially if you meet up with others you have met before you can then share photos.

I am with o2, i have looked into buying one from them with one gig of data, costing about £25.00 a month for two years, but its actually cheaper to just go out and buy one. If I did the later how would i get internet? I dont watch or down load movies, all I would ever use I/net for would be the odd google search, and looking at emails, and obviously replying to one or two. I welcome your input please. :niceone:
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#2 User is offline   alisidy 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:59

I wouldn't get an Ipad with a 4g connection, just get a normal one. Ipad air 2 is good, I will eventually get the Pro but it is a little large.

#3 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:59

I was thinking along thos lines also, but still not sure wether to buy outright, well on my card, or as I said in previous post £24 a month froom o2 for 2 years with 1 gig I/net, also not sure about storage space, all I really want is to store photos, some music, and look at the odd emails and store a few letters/docs.so dont think I would need a big memory but not sure how much is stored on a gig, I mean how many photos music tracks, can be stored on a 16 gig one, plus other bits and pieces, that is my biggest dilema.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#4 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 13:40

Apps are what tend to eat up the space Journo. With photo's you can upload them to things like Photoubucket or Dropbox so they aren't stored on your device - that is a good way to store photos as you can access them from all your devices.

Any idea how much music you have? 16Gb gets eaten quickly. I have got about 8.5k tracks on an iPod, and that must be around 60GB or so.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#5 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 18:55

View PostMr. Greaves, on 18 September 2016 - 13:40, said:

Apps are what tend to eat up the space Journo. With photo's you can upload them to things like Photoubucket or Dropbox so they aren't stored on your device - that is a good way to store photos as you can access them from all your devices.

Any idea how much music you have? 16Gb gets eaten quickly. I have got about 8.5k tracks on an iPod, and that must be around 60GB or so.

Spotify?

#6 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 19:23

View PostFlying_Dutchman, on 18 September 2016 - 18:55, said:

Spotify?

Spotify and other streaming providers are an option to consider. This is worth reading though;

http://www.digitaltr...o-quit-spotify/

I don't find it a big deal to manage my own music collection around all my devices (an iPod is pretty convenient on the move) and the major advantage is no one can take your collection from you.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#7 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 20:04

View PostMr. Greaves, on 18 September 2016 - 19:23, said:

Spotify and other streaming providers are an option to consider. This is worth reading though;

http://www.digitaltr...o-quit-spotify/

I don't find it a big deal to manage my own music collection around all my devices (an iPod is pretty convenient on the move) and the major advantage is no one can take your collection from you.

You're right. But I'm not feeling 'caged' in Spotify. If you want to know your music history, sync with smth like last.fm & you're fine.

@journo: ipad is fine, but would consider a bigger version that's not 4g. Wifi is everywhere and free. ( in the Netherlands, don't know UK, but can't imagine it being different.

You could also consider a Chinese android tablet. Cheap, good & not apple.

#8 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 20:21

View PostFlying_Dutchman, on 18 September 2016 - 20:04, said:

You're right. But I'm not feeling 'caged' in Spotify. If you want to know your music history, sync with smth like last.fm & you're fine.

Not 100% up on streaming intricacies, but what is the advantage of Last FM? - didn't they get hacked a few years back?

#9 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 18 September 2016 - 20:21

Im set on having an ipad air 2, Mr Greaves re music I have just under 800 tracks that are my favourites, from Rock roll, classical, heavy rock, stuff going back to late 50's early sixties, right up to what I like today (and that is about nil), photos I have around 800 over the last 10 years that ive kept. And like I say just a few docs, that Ive created my self.

Ive seen and know of dropbox, etc but have heard how people claim to have lost stuff in them, can they be hacked and photos stolen? how secure are they?

I wont shop online, especially nor will I ever bank online, if I see something like on J lewis, amazon or where ever I ring up.

But thanks for all you help and advice guys.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#10 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 20:23

800 tracks won't take up much space Journo. I haven't had any trouble with Photobucket (except it reduces photo quality but you post from it to a forum) or Dropbox.

#11 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 18 September 2016 - 20:36

View PostMr. Greaves, on 18 September 2016 - 20:21, said:

Not 100% up on streaming intricacies, but what is the advantage of Last FM? - didn't they get hacked a few years back?

That's you can save your history of music & if Spotify shuts down like the article you added suggests, you still have your music lists.

Only issue with Spotify I've encountered is that they don't have all my favourite artists available.

#12 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 18 September 2016 - 20:39

OK guys thanks. :niceone:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#13 User is online   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2016 - 22:57

View Postjourneyman, on 18 September 2016 - 20:21, said:

Im set on having an ipad air 2, Mr Greaves re music I have just under 800 tracks that are my favourites, from Rock roll, classical, heavy rock, stuff going back to late 50's early sixties, right up to what I like today (and that is about nil), photos I have around 800 over the last 10 years that ive kept. And like I say just a few docs, that Ive created my self.

Ive seen and know of dropbox, etc but have heard how people claim to have lost stuff in them, can they be hacked and photos stolen? how secure are they?

I wont shop online, especially nor will I ever bank online, if I see something like on J lewis, amazon or where ever I ring up.

But thanks for all you help and advice guys.

16GB should be fine. I'd buy outright and get a WiFi model rather than a monthly 4G plan. Assuming you'll mostly use it at home where you have WiFi?

#14 User is offline   alisidy 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 19 September 2016 - 00:02

View Posttomtom, on 18 September 2016 - 22:57, said:

16GB should be fine. I'd buy outright and get a WiFi model rather than a monthly 4G plan. Assuming you'll mostly use it at home where you have WiFi?

I would go for a 32GB one to be honest. The extra space for music and photos! Buy outright, even though its a decent outlay!

#15 User is online   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 September 2016 - 13:11

I'd prefer 32 but if he only has 800 songs and not too many photos 16GB would be enough if he's on a budget!

#16 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:59

Thanks for that info, I can go for a 32 but was just thinking along the lines of why pay more if 16 will suffice. I do appreciate that with 32 there is room to add more. I do like a lot of songs, classics etc but when I say I have 800 well just under to be exact 766, they are my most favourite music tracks, and the way music is at the moment I can not see me adding to much to it.

Photos, will no doubt always be added. My documents are a few letters, some notes, mostly stuff regarding religion, prayers, various things that appertain to weddings/ funerals, etc.

And I would use it maybe when away just to access some relevant emails. Thanks TomTom re the point about wifi, I would mostly use it at home,when not on pc, more out of quickness, my pc is in the spare bedroom so if the tv is off and I w ant to know a score/result Ive tended to look oon my iphone, so I guess really I would just like something to store the above to take out on odd occassions or when away.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#17 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:59

What is the difference between a 16 and 32gb one Journo? I am not an Apple man myself, but dies the iPad have the ability to connect an external hard drive? If it does and you run out of space on a 16gb, a 1tb external drive is only about £45 and smaller memory sticks much less.

#18 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 14:23

Not sure if ipads can connect to external drives, but have been told as with iphone you can store stuff on a the drive below, seems ok as it fits iphone, and pads, one end for i stuff and the other usb and as you see it is curved so does not get in the way, rather good I thought. :niceone:

https://www.google.c...78gy76IdxFKNGNQ

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#19 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 20 September 2016 - 18:47

View Postjourneyman, on 20 September 2016 - 14:23, said:

Not sure if ipads can connect to external drives, but have been told as with iphone you can store stuff on a the drive below, seems ok as it fits iphone, and pads, one end for i stuff and the other usb and as you see it is curved so does not get in the way, rather good I thought. :niceone:

https://www.google.c...78gy76IdxFKNGNQ

If you want to avoid iTunes, digital online cloud storage you need to get a android/Windows tablet.

I'm a Windows man and have a super PC, but I'm iPhone and IPad for smaller devices.

USB connected based device and an external hard drive sounds like it suits you best.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#20 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 20 September 2016 - 18:48

View PostMr. Greaves, on 20 September 2016 - 12:59, said:

What is the difference between a 16 and 32gb one Journo? I am not an Apple man myself, but dies the iPad have the ability to connect an external hard drive? If it does and you run out of space on a 16gb, a 1tb external drive is only about £45 and smaller memory sticks much less.

iPad not the best for music unless you want to commit to iTunes.

It doesn't have direct USB connection. It's built around using their software.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users