• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Janssen

#41 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:11

I like Alli's aggression BUT no time for it whatsoever when he stupidly squares up, chest bumps and punches. That is pathetic and needs to be channelled, which looks as though it s as he matures.

Janssen doesn't exactly need to relax, but I have said in a couple of match threads that he is showing a desperate look in front of goal and getting hooked on the hour is bad psycologically in my opinion. Does he need more space?
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#42 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 09 October 2016 - 14:10

Nah, hooking him shouldn't be a problem, he's getting more minutes than would have been expected due to Kanes injury, and he does look tired when he's subbed. I'd rather he went full at it for an hour than have to pace himself because he isn't up to the required fitness levels. It's not really an issue because I think Sissy looks tired on 60/70 mins as well.

Everyone would like more space, but his back to goal play in a packed box is one of the things I've liked about him. When he starts picking the right lay off more often defenders will need to get tighter and put early challenges in. That opens up all sorts of opportunities, we might actually get a couple more pens.

#43 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 09 October 2016 - 14:50

His hold up play, back to goal etc is good.

You mentioned earlier his speed of thought. Not sure of that in itself, but to date he isn't an the same wavelength as any of Eriksen, Alli or Lamela. That means he isn't always playing the right ball or moving to receive in the 'right' place. That takes time, and I mentioned before that I hope it is being worked on because if / when that mental link forms we will be in for a treat - so it is not just down to him. Sorry to mention Soldado here, but he had the same problem except he and Lamela had that link right from the off - it is all about chemistry.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#44 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 October 2016 - 15:05

I thought the thread got a little confused with my posts earlier.

I mentioned the speed in which his head moved when looking up in the clip of his goal, very quick head movement which (I thought) showed that he is a little wired up. I wasn't talking about his speed of thought.

I also said (in a round about way) I'm not sure if he should tone it down just a fraction, it might make things worse.

Have a look at the clip again, his head movement is a bit Brundle-fly. :)

#45 User is offline   alisidy 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 October 2016 - 23:59

View Postgriff, on 09 October 2016 - 07:50, said:

I think he will come good as well but he is not exactly fast. I think we could still do with another striker, smaller and nippier, bit like Aguero to complement him and Kane.

He looked pretty rapid in his goals there. I agree he isn't Walcott speed, but that isn't our game.

#46 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:23

Well I admit I had only seen Janssen play once for the Netherlands and he looked quite good. Never seen him play for AZ so before Spurs I'd only ever seen him play on YouTube clips. In all fairness he looks an excellent player ( on you tube) but our scouting team and coaching team must have been impressed enough with him. For so many games this season we have played what Imcall 'tippy tap' football, continually passing the ball around waiting for an opening. I do not think that football suits Janssen ( nor Kane or Spurs for that matter). Look at the difference in the Chelsea game, we played faster, more direct, even seeing some long balls. When we play Janssen instead of Kane we need to change our football, play faster, play with more width not just from Rose and Walker but by playing N'koudou and Son. Even play Dele further forward. At the moment it is not just the case of Janssen playing to our system but playing a system to suit Janssen. All said and done we still need that small, mobile striker, one who can dribble with the ball and create chances for the self.

#47 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:39

We won't be changing our style in any particular game to suit a striker (or any position come to that) and play to their strengths. We didn't with Soldado under a few managers.

It is just madness that we still seem to buy players who don't fit our style. Also madness that we buy players and then don't use them much, given that we are not Chelsea or City or United who are rich enough to buy big names and sit them on the bench.

#48 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:53

Would you have played Janssen more Greavesie? I think when you consider his lack of a proper pre season with us and his lack of fitness for PL/Poch's standards, and then his injury a few weeks back he's had quite a bit of gametime. He's still young so I still haven't written him off but he's clearly lacking confidence and sharpness at least.

#49 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:07

If I was a scout, I would have thought his style of play would have suited us. His physical presence looked right for the prem, and he was hitting the net (In Holland).

If he hadn't have missed those sitters early in the season it might be an entirely different story, I agree that he's looking out of sorts and it's looking increasingly desperate, but, I disagree that he didn't tick lots of boxes from a scouting point of view. He's a young player who showed lots of potential and I was far happier to see him come in than I was when Berahino was trending :grinny:

We needed a recognised striker, we got one, I was happy with this type of purchase, but it looks more likely that it isn't going to work. If I'm honest, I can't see why he's not giving a return. In the same way Soldado puzzled this guy has me even more puzzled.

#50 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:10

I wasn't referring to Janssen when mentioning buying players and not playing them, as he has played a fair bit - mostly when Kane was out. For me, and I think I said at the time, he was wrongly hooked too often around the hour mark in a few games when he was increasingly looking like scoring.

Right now though I don't know what to do with him, and just hope Pochettino does more so than he did when dealing with a fragile Soldado in similar circumstances.

#51 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:20

He's playing him against lesser opponents, hooked him and we looked better. What else can he do ? He wasn't doing much for an hour against Villa, and he wasn't looking like scoring.

I'm not sure that him missing a total sitter can be a managers fault. At least he hasn't publicly slaughtered him by saying his wife would have done better :grinny:

Poch gives him reasonable chances, he doesn't take them. Lets hope he rips Wycombe a new one, or Gent.

#52 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:29

I agree with you that now he deserves to be hooked, which is why I said what I did in the second paragraph. His confidence is now shot, and is why I think it is hard not to compare him to Soldado.

#53 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:39

Now ? Not before ?

Really ??

#54 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:58

He was struggling with it before, but I think it has gone reached the breaking point. The body language looked awful in the last game, especially when he was walking off.

Play him against poor opposition and he scores a couple and all might be well, alternatively do the same and he doesn't and gets hooked again, and it is over for him. Really difficult choice for Pochettino.

#55 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 13:05

I would put him in against Wycombe, in fact, I'd start with the same 11 as Villa. If he doesn't look good against Wycombe it is indeed a flop.

He's an international, do we protect him against Wycombe ?

Give him Wycombe then give him Gent and tell him the plan today.

#56 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 15:18

View PostMr. Greaves, on 09 October 2016 - 12:11, said:

I like Alli's aggression BUT no time for it whatsoever when he stupidly squares up, chest bumps and punches. That is pathetic and needs to be channelled, which looks as though it s as he matures.

Janssen doesn't exactly need to relax, but I have said in a couple of match threads that he is showing a desperate look in front of goal and getting hooked on the hour is bad psycologically in my opinion. Does he need more space?

I don't like when players are being taken off when they lack confidence, But he was so shocking Poch had to inject a bit of movement and pace into the side so that the game did not drift into a bore draw.

#57 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 January 2017 - 16:02

Struggling to suit our style of play I think the biggest issue he has is he turns so slowly.
still hopeful it will work out though

#58 User is offline   PH1882 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2017 - 19:50

I think he would benefit with losing some weight.

#59 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 22:59

View PostYidio Yidio, on 10 January 2017 - 13:05, said:

I would put him in against Wycombe, in fact, I'd start with the same 11 as Villa. If he doesn't look good against Wycombe it is indeed a flop.

He's an international, do we protect him against Wycombe ?

Give him Wycombe then give him Gent and tell him the plan today.

Yes. Exactly what I was thinking.

I want him to succeed but his highlights are painting a bad picture and it's unfortunately honest ATM
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#60 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2017 - 23:24

If we sit him out we're hiding from the question, and it's better to get the answer and make plans. He's young and maybe a loan period might help next season and we then know we're back in the market for better back up for Kane.

I'd rather give him another chance than make that call now, but without starting him against Wycombe the question just hangs there without an answer, however much we might not like it.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users