Planet Spurs Forums: Other managers - Planet Spurs Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other managers De Boer, Klopp, AVB, Koeman + etc...

#21 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 10 November 2016 - 14:03

View PostMr. Greaves, on 04 November 2016 - 00:18, said:

So many points.

Dier frequently played in the role at Sporting Lisbon, Pochettino knew that, tried him and it worked. Big deal.

The mess of a squad wasn't exactly AVB's fault and anyone could see who needed to be sold. Levy had to agree and as they were coming into the last year of their contracts, selling had to happen then or take huge losses. Pochettino did the right thing, but no genius stroke. Sherwood certainly knew who to get shot of, and most of us here did to. If I was paid £3-5m a year like Pochettino is, I would expect him to be able to do what any of us here could in seeing the dross and punting it out. Not that I think he got that totally right.

Alli had been on our radar pre-season Pochettino, and I am told Dier was too. Since Pochettino arrived, he has bought well and bought poorly too.

Until this season Onomah is about the only Academy player he has promoted. Few know why.

How do Liverpool come into it, they were a number of places lower than us the season before. We went from 5th to 3rd when two of the 4 above us didn't show up at all and the other two only did in dribs and drabs. The way I am talking is that what we did was nothing special under the circumstances. The way you are talking is that it was remarkable.

The way you are talking you would of thought our side is littered with experience and have the best players in our history who are underchieving .

#22 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2016 - 14:16

Wow, that was a late mate.

I am sorry but I can't see how what I have been saying on this one is related at all to experience. :huh:

But on the other hand, our side (and squad) is absolutely stuffed full of full Internationals. It is hardly a side of inexperienced boys straight out of the U21's.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#23 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 November 2016 - 14:24

View PostMr. Greaves, on 10 November 2016 - 14:16, said:

Wow, that was a late mate.

I am sorry but I can't see how what I have been saying on this one is related at all to experience. :huh:

But on the other hand, our side (and squad) is absolutely stuffed full of full Internationals. It is hardly a side of inexperienced boys straight out of the U21's.

Lol sorry my reply is late I am at college and just read it. You kept going on about this team should be winning this and that, it is a young team that will make mistakes now and then, I see improvement in this team, and Under Poch i don't worry when we play the big teams in the league because he sets them up well against them, Looking at our subs bench and compare that to Arsenal and you can see why Poch rotates the team in cup competitions. Yes it is a team full of Internationals but how many of them have been in title races and won things.

#24 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 10 November 2016 - 21:34

I don't think I have ever said this team should be winning things - where do you get these ideas from? :rolleyes:

What I have said is that last year the team did no more than it should in going two places higher than our real level, given that at least two of the four better teams than us didn't show up at all last year and the other two were very patchy - that is in answer to the rubbish spouted that we are an over achieving young team.

I have also said that no manager in the Lewis / Levy era has been backed like this one and has lots of experienced, talented players in the squad - that is in answer to the rubbish spouted that Redknapps' team was full of world class players whose best efforts were eclipsed by Pochettino's young, inexpensive, inexperienced team.

Sadly this current team is highly unlikely to win anything unless the manager gets given all the aces for anther three of four seasons, as he needs a massively high number of chances to get things right once. Last year he had more aces than anyone other than Arsenal (top four teams imploding and shedding managers) and this year he still has the aces along with Arsenal (top four teams with new managers) so let's see us finish above them in a campaign where they don't shoot themselves in their own feet.
“The game is about glory. Winning trophies with style. Not throwing away cups simply to get into a money-spinning competition to make owners richer. ” Danny Blanchflower (sort of)

#25 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:49

View PostMr. Greaves, on 10 November 2016 - 21:34, said:

as he needs a massively high number of chances to get things right once.

We've lost 6 games from 49 in the premier league since last term. Got it wrong only 12%.of the time league wise.

Run that parallel to your statement above and there's gotta be an Oxymoron in there somewhere.

He's certainly inflexible at times, but I've found in a good bad summing up numbers game, we've made WAY more steps forward than back with him.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#26 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:46

Anyway. This is about other managers.

Fair play to Sherwood for dropping down a couple levels. New director of football at Swindon in league one. Am sure he'll be manager soon as the noise from the club is he's going to be overseeing training + etc so they're making it clear the current boss is head coach. If he can cut his teeth by turning Swindon into a force and show he can have a longer lasting impact at a club I suspect he could end up being a very good manager.

#27 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 November 2016 - 13:51

Sherwood has got the winners mentality, and plays attractive football. I think there is a very good manager in him, and I will always thank him for only taking one game to start giving me Spurs back following what I consider to have been 18 months of total dross under AVB - highest points total didn't compensate for that.

Will we see it though? I don't know as what keeps rearing it's head is the personality trait be showed when leaving us as a player, in his spat with Hoddle.

#28 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 November 2016 - 14:06

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 11 November 2016 - 04:49, said:

We've lost 6 games from 49 in the premier league since last term. Got it wrong only 12%.of the time league wise.

Run that parallel to your statement above and there's gotta be an Oxymoron in there somewhere.

He's certainly inflexible at times, but I've found in a good bad summing up numbers game, we've made WAY more steps forward than back with him.

How long will it take him to realise that his attacking set-up needs changing? Injuries / suspensions aside it is the same thought process every game. How many hours now with no goal from open play?

#29 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 November 2016 - 14:24

We played differently vs Arsenal.

You can ignore injuries + etc all you want but Dembele, Lamela, Kane, Toby are all key players to how we set up and this has hindered our forward play.

Saw someone point out that our first 11 hasn't played a single minute together yet this season.

#30 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 November 2016 - 14:32

View Posttomtom, on 11 November 2016 - 14:24, said:

We played differently vs Arsenal.

You can ignore injuries + etc all you want but Dembele, Lamela, Kane, Toby are all key players to how we set up and this has hindered our forward play.

Saw someone point out that our first 11 hasn't played a single minute together yet this season.

That is all true, but doesn't change the fact that the Pochettino era has relied on Kane to rescue it. It is my opinion that Pochettino can't coach attacking play - the theory of fluid interchange is fine, his execution of it isn't.

#31 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 November 2016 - 15:00

Kane didn't play against Man City and we were great. Another fluke by an idiot?

#32 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 15:04

For me personally I think what we are lacking is that one word when it comes to winning cocsistency, we are consistantly good at drawing, yes its not getting beat but nor is it winning. :niceone:
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#33 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 November 2016 - 15:45

Too many draws could well cost us so I hope we can go on a winning run now.

Anyway. This isn't a Poch or Spurs thread

#34 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 11 November 2016 - 17:27

Conte has got to take the plaudits so far this season. His turning around of Chelsea in such a short time is proof of his calibre. I expected him to tighten up their defence, but their offensive play has been a joy to watch (and I f***ing hate admitting to that).

Klopp has injected life into the Dippers and has a wonderfully creative midfield.

Mourinho is a sour, bitter man who is getting his just deserts.

Guardiola needs time to settle into the ways of the Prem, so it's hard to judge him so far.

Wenger is as Wenger does.

If Koeman cracks Everton he will be off to Barcelona or Bayern before long.

Don't know what's happened to Bilic and the Spammers - I thought they might do something this season.

#35 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 November 2016 - 21:51

View PostMr. Greaves, on 11 November 2016 - 14:06, said:

How long will it take him to realise that his attacking set-up needs changing? Injuries / suspensions aside it is the same thought process every game. How many hours now with no goal from open play?

I don't disagree but what would you suggest?
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#36 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 November 2016 - 22:09

View Posttomtom, on 11 November 2016 - 15:00, said:

Kane didn't play against Man City and we were great. Another fluke by an idiot?

It does look like a fluke result out of the games the season does it not? - certainly not representative of how we have played the other games.

#37 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 11 November 2016 - 22:09

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 11 November 2016 - 21:51, said:

I don't disagree but what would you suggest?

Pay me £3-5m/ year and I will tell you :wink:

#38 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 11 November 2016 - 23:20

Send De boer an email, he could do with some tips

#39 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:26

View PostArmchairSpurs, on 11 November 2016 - 17:27, said:

Conte has got to take the plaudits so far this season. His turning around of Chelsea in such a short time is proof of his calibre. I expected him to tighten up their defence, but their offensive play has been a joy to watch (and I f***ing hate admitting to that).

Klopp has injected life into the Dippers and has a wonderfully creative midfield.

Mourinho is a sour, bitter man who is getting his just deserts.

Guardiola needs time to settle into the ways of the Prem, so it's hard to judge him so far.

Wenger is as Wenger does.

If Koeman cracks Everton he will be off to Barcelona or Bayern before long.

Don't know what's happened to Bilic and the Spammers - I thought they might do something this season.

Good post enjoyed that all very true.

View PostMr. Greaves, on 11 November 2016 - 22:09, said:

It does look like a fluke result out of the games the season does it not? - certainly not representative of how we have played the other games.

Have to agree, that result got everyone thinking if we can do that to city then we are on the up but sadly it has not been repeated so have to agree with you.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#40 User is offline   Mr. Greaves 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 12 November 2016 - 15:45

View PostYidio Yidio, on 11 November 2016 - 23:20, said:

Send De boer an email, he could do with some tips

I couldn't give him the tips he needed this time round - how to pick a Chairman / President/ Owner who is not a nightmare to work for. Looks like he dodged one and found another.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users