• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Victor Wanyama

#61 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 24 August 2019 - 14:56

View Post50 Cent, on 24 August 2019 - 14:45, said:

I disagree we couldn't replace him before he left. It just meant prioritising a Wanyama replacement over an Eriksen replacement, as an example. I don't disagree with anything else. I'm concerned we let him go because I don't believe Skipp and Dier are better players or will play but I am more than willing to be proven wrong on that and do hope a quality DM secures that place in our team.

You mention Winks needing to adapt to that role better. I like Winks, and he does try his best, but I think he is either physically incapable or doesn't have the natural defensive instinct. As for Sissoko, again, tried hard. Worthy of his place along with Winks. They just are no Wanyama replacement to partner our Demebele replacement.

My point is that Wanyama isn't the Wanyama who partnered Dembele. So that's not what is being sold.

If you want a big unit to patrol in front of a back 4 then fair enough, we didn't buy one in readiness of selling Wanyama, but would you refuse the sale now ?

#62 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 24 August 2019 - 17:28

View PostYidio Yidio, on 24 August 2019 - 14:56, said:

My point is that Wanyama isn't the Wanyama who partnered Dembele. So that's not what is being sold.

If you want a big unit to patrol in front of a back 4 then fair enough, we didn't buy one in readiness of selling Wanyama, but would you refuse the sale now ?

Wanyama has not really had much chance post injury to regain his form. Rose had long term injuries,took a while but improved a lot towards the end of last season.When Wanyama hoes Poch must not over use Winks,Ndombele and Sissoko. He must share out the duties and use Dier and Skipp .

#63 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 24 August 2019 - 18:29

View Postgriff, on 24 August 2019 - 17:28, said:

Wanyama has not really had much chance post injury to regain his form. Rose had long term injuries,took a while but improved a lot towards the end of last season.When Wanyama hoes Poch must not over use Winks,Ndombele and Sissoko. He must share out the duties and use Dier and Skipp .

He's got a headache picking from that list and keeping them happy, and the same goes for Rose. Ideally and given a choice, Poch will rotate with Davies and Sess when fit. And, Rose will get moody about that.

Wanyama is surplus at present, and the reason the focus was firmly on Eriksen and his replacement is because we didn't have someone who can rotate with him. Plus, it's possibly 10 times the figures involved with replacing or selling Wanyama.

It's very reasonable that focus was on replacing Dembele and Eriksen, with Wanyama's move low down on the priority list. It also reflects that in the reported money figures being offered. We've shown no panic in dealing with this.

Wanyama kept breaking down and it takes much more for a larger player to get sharp and stay sharp, something I've been pointing out for years. Partly why I'm happy to not rotate Kane, or have a recognised lumpy back up striker as that's only for a long term injury to Kane.

This post has been edited by Yidio Yidio: 24 August 2019 - 18:32

#64 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 August 2019 - 18:38

Wanyama is different to Rose because it's a knee injury that kept blowing up. In fact the one time he seemed fit for a run of games he looked good in the first and an absolute car crash in the next two then broke down again iirc.

I would argue Sissoko was a more effective DM last season than Wanyama was, even though that isn't his role.

I think Poch now prefers the defensive side of things to be split between the two (or occasionally 3) deeper CMs who also move the ball (either passing or driving) more than a traditional DM, rather than having one enforcer with limited on the ball ability. Whether this proves effective long term we'll see, but I still think letting Wanyama go for money when he's unlikely to play is absolutely the right decision. He managed 4 league starts last season. We can take the hit on not having him when that's all he contributed.

#65 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 24 August 2019 - 23:26

View PostYidio Yidio, on 24 August 2019 - 14:24, said:

But that's not taking the facts into account. Wanyama has done very little for 2 years, not replacing him is over looking someone like skip who will easily do as much as Vic has in the last 2 years. If the money is £10M then it's an opportunity hard to refuse. We can't replace him as the window is closed, we couldn't replace him before he left.

If you're concerned we're letting Wanyama go then why ? We played last season for almost it's entirety without Dembele and no replacement. What Wanyama brought to that equation was very little and by opening up a squad place it allows an easier acquisition or more hope for academy players.

Are we a player down ? No, Skipp will fill that void. Is Skipp good enough ? To do what Wanyama has done in 2 injury hit seasons I'd say yes, with the possibility of being better albeit in a different role. A more versatile role imo.

Sorry 50 but this is correct

Wanyama availability and performances over the last 1-2 seasons don’t really warrant concern of losing him, also as Tom said the CDM Position seems less integral.

As YY has said, Skipp can do a lot of what Vin did, and he’s also not Wanyama/Sandro brittle, he’s got CDM mileage.

We’ve badly needed CM (winks and Sissoko alone) - Lo Celso seems far more necessary than finding a Wanyama ASAP. Dier and Skipp fill that void. Whereas we have no youngsters available to a standard of Lo Celso, bar Ali. It’s all about depth.

Also a CM like lo celso at Xmas might be expensive, whereas a £50-60m spend on say Kalvin Phillips, and a right back, isn’t out of the question. We have the squad spaces, and probably the funds.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#66 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:21

View PostYidio Yidio, on 24 August 2019 - 14:56, said:

I can't really comment on that. If he was only going to play 1 or 2 games this season, and wasn't going to be better than Dier or Skipp, then of course it is best to sell.

I don't know if that is the actual truth, but if it is, I don't have a problem with the sale. I have a problem with buying players like Lo Celso and Sessengnon and the guy from Leeds as a priority when we could have bought one good unit and sold Wanyama, and one of Dier and Skipp too.

That would have been the right way to do good business imo as DM is lacking.

#67 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 September 2019 - 23:19

Staying. Annoying.

Will Cost 3-4m in wages.
Will be worth 3-4m less next June
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#68 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2019 - 19:10

If he isn't cocked, I'd still fancy him ahead of Sissoko and Winks in DM tbh. Same goes for Dier though. They are both clearly not the players they once were, but at the same time were run into the ground with no loyalty, or even planning for them breaking down.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users