Planet Spurs Forums: What a soul destroying job. - Planet Spurs Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What a soul destroying job. Managing southampton.

#1 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:38

Just seeing reports of liverpool hoping to get van dijk from southampton for around 60 mill.
They already have 5 ex saints players from raiding them from 2014 to now.
Then we have ex saints players at man utd and the goons.
What a soul destroying job to be coach / manager of the hampshire club.
Have to say i feel sorry for the fans there as they never get to build a really strong side that challenges for anything.

Imo its different lower league sides selling their best players because most of the time they need the money but sides like southampton have just received 100 mill tv rights etc and dont want to sell.
Seems like the player is voicing he wants to go to liverpool.
Its that viscious circle / pecking order/food chain disease that has infected all area,s of football in this country.
To give every club in the prem a fair crack of the whip at winning things this has to stop.
Its all about the money clubs in the prem.

#2 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 June 2017 - 14:19

Some Soton fans I know are just happy to be in the Prem after all the years out of it...

TBH Southampton benefit from being the best prospect for any youngster on the South Coast of making it. Their academy is obviously very good but geography does them a favour, a lot less competition for such a large pool of youngsters than the London or Northern clubs have.

#3 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 June 2017 - 17:19

View Posttomtom, on 06 June 2017 - 14:19, said:

Some Soton fans I know are just happy to be in the Prem after all the years out of it...

TBH Southampton benefit from being the best prospect for any youngster on the South Coast of making it. Their academy is obviously very good but geography does them a favour, a lot less competition for such a large pool of youngsters than the London or Northern clubs have.

Fair comment tom but i just believe its so f--king boring year after year of the usual suspects in england, spain etc etc winning everything because they have the money.
This might seem a bit radical but i believe the rules have to change to make the epl a fairer seasonal competition for all clubs not just those with the money to pick off the cream of players because it just makes a mockery of the game.
1) Contracts should be honoured till they expire.
2) Every prem club should have 50% per cent home grown produced players in their named squad.
3) Every club restricted to 1 purchase during the close season.
4) Scrap the january window.
5) Tapping up players belonging to other clubs / points deduction.
6) The loaning of players restricted to 5 per season.
Lets see how the man citys, man utd,s and chelsea,s ,real madrids and barcelona get on with that.

#4 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 15 June 2017 - 00:30

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 06 June 2017 - 17:19, said:

Fair comment tom but i just believe its so f--king boring year after year of the usual suspects in england, spain etc etc winning everything because they have the money.
This might seem a bit radical but i believe the rules have to change to make the epl a fairer seasonal competition for all clubs not just those with the money to pick off the cream of players because it just makes a mockery of the game.
1) Contracts should be honoured till they expire.
2) Every prem club should have 50% per cent home grown produced players in their named squad.
3) Every club restricted to 1 purchase during the close season.
4) Scrap the january window.
5) Tapping up players belonging to other clubs / points deduction.
6) The loaning of players restricted to 5 per season.
Lets see how the man citys, man utd,s and chelsea,s ,real madrids and barcelona get on with that.

Some interesting ideas.

1) Doesn't work. What if a player is no longer fancied by the club... e.g. Lennon. He'd be forced to stay til contract expiry? That's restraint of trade and grossly unfair.
2) I like that.
3) What if 2+ players retire/have nasty injuries/fall out with the manager?
4) Only relegation fodder spend in Jan anyway. I'd leave it there for emergencies.
5) Good idea.
6) Would have to phase it in over a period of time but I like the idea in principle. We also have multiple players out on loan, not just those clubs.

#5 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 15:23

well said beagle totally agree. Also look in Rugby you can only spend a certain % of your income on wages, so that means you cant have a team all on mega bucks, that way its more of a level playing field.

How is the prem or any league fair when the richest clubs can always have the best players, so in effect it is money (as I keep on about ) that runs football.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#6 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:47

View Posttomtom, on 15 June 2017 - 00:30, said:

Some interesting ideas.

1) Doesn't work. What if a player is no longer fancied by the club... e.g. Lennon. He'd be forced to stay til contract expiry? That's restraint of trade and grossly unfair.
2) I like that.
3) What if 2+ players retire/have nasty injuries/fall out with the manager?
4) Only relegation fodder spend in Jan anyway. I'd leave it there for emergencies.
5) Good idea.
6) Would have to phase it in over a period of time but I like the idea in principle. We also have multiple players out on loan, not just those clubs.

1)
Restraint of trade then can be applied to players like sissoko and n,koudou who are completely overlooked by poch as lennon was ? but surely thats the nature of the beast of the sport called football...............! its a game that you can only choose 11 players to start a game........! and some are just squad players that make up the 25.
I dont see restraint of trade being applied to this one tom.

How can players like berbatov and bale have years to run on their contracts and then because the likes of man utd and real come along and make noises in their direction state " i wont ever play for spurs again "
Its a broken contract imho !
3)
I have heard so many times tom ! what a great real/barce team ! what a great man utd team ! the truth is these teams are only great through money enabling them to hoover up the best footballing talent worldwide.
Imagine what sort of team southampton would have now without being plundered by all and sundry.
West ham of the 1990s had great youth players like cole and ferdinand but were ripped apart by the big clubs.
No i stick by one incoming transfer per club per year.

6) This is very interesting in so much as the football public as a whole dont realise what chelsea and man city are doing but the tactic is to sign any lad that shows any talent ! get him on your books because if he signs for you he wont later on be available to your opponents ! the aim is sign them young and hope they make the grade.
In the meanwhile loaning the player out means the cost of doing this is offloaded to some extent.
Just out of interest google chelsea or man city players out on loan............! amazing and very obvious what is going on and very clever because most clubs want success asap but both these clubs are showing patience works and denies access to these players from your opponents and long term could or will save you big transfer fee,s.

I know it sounds radical and extreme but football should be played in a fair way !
So many big clubs are turning things into an advantage for them because they have the money to do so.
It needs changing big time imho.

#7 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:52

View Postjourneyman, on 15 June 2017 - 15:23, said:

well said beagle totally agree.

How is the prem or any league fair when the richest clubs can always have the best players, so in effect it is money (as I keep on about ) that runs football.

Journo you summed it up really well.
Cant add to what you have said here.

#8 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:25

There are many ways to make the sport fairer, but if they damage revenue none of them will be implemented. The government rake in a fair amount off the global product that is the EPL.

Restricting the movement of a possible loanee would probably infringe that persons human rights somewhere along the line, and Bosman won that fight over contract arguments. Most players will kick up a fuss if they are not allowed to move, until it becomes mutually agreeable that they should be sold. If a guy is a nuisance for a matter of years while running down a contract he won't be playing.

Lower league clubs survive by selling players, and most would go to the wall if all contracts were honoured thus creating a situation where players were just an expenditure. It would create a situation where player wages would tumble as they had no actual value and rolling contracts would increase with a sharp increase towards short term commitment of both player and club. Who knows, we might even see one or two zero hours contracts further down the leagues. :niceone:

#9 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 June 2017 - 13:15

The idea is to try to make the epl a fairer place for all clubs.
At the moment all we get is the richer clubs feeding off the better players from the clubs beneath them .
To make it a level playing field restrictions need to be applied otherwise the epl will turn into a joke / farce like scottish prem where there is only one club that matters and where the title was wrapped up by jan 1st.
This is a competition played over 8-9 months ffs and it needs to remain competitive.

#10 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 June 2017 - 13:42

Sky are the instigators of all that is bad in English football. They decide when games are played and arrange end of season matches to create headlines, remember us always playing catch up with Leicester, all because Leicester winning the league was bigger news. They pump so much money in to clubs that even teams like Palace etc can play a number of unspectacular players huge wages to get them to sign, then far better players at Us for example who earn lots less than these inferior players see pound signs in their eyes.
So many foreign, average players come over here because of the big money and that restricts our young kids' first team chances.
Teams like United, City and Chelsea only buy British to satisfy their home grown quota. City want Walker not because he's the best right back in Europe or the world but because he's British and the best British right back.

#11 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 16:54

Abramovich ploughed money into Chavsville when the sky money wasn't so much.

Sad thing is, many fans would swap places with them in a heartbeat, so I gave up banging the fair play drum until it actually happens. Every summer fans want large sums of money spent in order to compete with the big spenders and don't really care where it comes from.

#12 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2017 - 17:44

View Postgriff, on 16 June 2017 - 13:42, said:

Sky are the instigators of all that is bad in English football. They decide when games are played and arrange end of season matches to create headlines, remember us always playing catch up with Leicester, all because Leicester winning the league was bigger news. They pump so much money in to clubs that even teams like Palace etc can play a number of unspectacular players huge wages to get them to sign, then far better players at Us for example who earn lots less than these inferior players see pound signs in their eyes.
So many foreign, average players come over here because of the big money and that restricts our young kids' first team chances.
Teams like United, City and Chelsea only buy British to satisfy their home grown quota. City want Walker not because he's the best right back in Europe or the world but because he's British and the best British right back.

I'm with what your saying griff but I don't think you can point the finger at sky.
They don't offer the wages to these players and it's worse in Spain where the madrids and barca receive about 75% of the money while the 17 other clubs split the remainder 25%.

Ffp is a joke and like yidio posted until it's taken seriously clubs like Chelsea and city can have bad seasons then buy there way out of it the following season.

#13 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2017 - 17:48

View PostYidio Yidio, on 16 June 2017 - 16:54, said:

Abramovich ploughed money into Chavsville when the sky money wasn't so much.

Sad thing is, many fans would swap places with them in a heartbeat, so I gave up banging the fair play drum until it actually happens. Every summer fans want large sums of money spent in order to compete with the big spenders and don't really care where it comes from.

They should inforce something like six British players have to start every match for each team.
The price for British players would be ridiculous to start with but would soon level out when it becomes the norm

#14 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 April 2018 - 23:04

Wondering if southampton can survive the enforced sale of virgil van djik to liverpool this last january transfer window.

Looks like he has improved the liverpool defence at southamptons expense.

Sitting 3rd from the bottom and shipping goals i reckon southampton could finally pay the ultimate price for all those player sales.

Some they didnt want or need to sell..............! bit of a thankless task managing the club really.

#15 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:12

They have enough quality in their team that they shouldn't be going down but their management and player merry go round has cost them as they've just not got it together this season.

Some talented players to be picked up if they go down.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users