Planet Spurs Forums: OPINIONS PLEASE. - Planet Spurs Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OPINIONS PLEASE. PROBABLY OTHER FORUMS DISCUSS THIS?

#1 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 13 February 2018 - 13:40

Being neutral on this so hopefully anyone with any interest wont take me to task over bashing the reputation of british people.

I read the other day in the papers & on social media that many brits are being banned from foreign hotels ! the reason being is so many are putting in fraudalent claims of food poisoning.

An article in the daily mail featured a young british couple who put in a claim and then were found to be scamming the hotel ? they have dropped their claim but the hotel are going ahead with a counter claim.

As i said these claims have become so frequent that some overseas hotels have shut up shop for british holidaymakers.

Next ! this has been held up by brexit but in 2016 the government were looking to capping whiplash claims in 2018 due to the amount of fraudilent claims in minor motor accidents........... putting up insurance premiums to a ridiculous level.

They are finding those genned up to what the procedure is for filing a whiplash claim are jumping on the band wagon to defraud insurance companies.

The point is that honest motorists have to take the toll of all this through their premiums going up yearly.

Wondered if any of you blokes have any opinion on these two scams.

#2 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 February 2018 - 14:31

A friend of mine works in motor insurance. He told me that the industry as a whole isn't really profitable due to these whiplash claims (and of course the big payouts when something serious happens). Other more profitable parts of the insurance industry cover for the losses made in motor insurance.

That said I got an extremely minor dose of whiplash (not from a car accident) a couple weeks ago and it was pretty painful and very uncomfortable for a few days so I have sympathy for those that really suffer from it.

I didn't know about the food poisoning thing but I know Brits abroad have had a bad reputation for their behaviour for as long as I've been alive so this doesn't wholly surprise me. TBH when I go away I prefer places that don't have too many English tourists, I can't understand people who go to other parts of Europe (or wherever) and feel more comfortable only surrounded by other English people and only eating English food - other cultures have a lot to offer and to be so blinkered to it all is only depriving yourself of what the world has that you might enjoy.

#3 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 15:13

Like many others I have heard of and read about such things and for me personally people that do that just to rip others off are scumbags, with no scrouples.
AS tomtom says some brits abroad have a very bad reputations, and sadly this is often reflected through to all the decent folk. Just on a peraonal note (I know Im now in the old gits league) but my wife and i have now finished abroad. we've both never really liked flying, but I was far worse than my wife, thats why we choose crusing, but that is now getting so cheap and popular it has encouraged some real bad behavior onboard and indeed in foreign ports, so for us its only UK now.

Regards driving and various scams I was bought as a Christmas present a dash cam, well driving round a port ship viviting etc, and driving various places through the country especially with a load of foreign drivers, not all truck neither, where I live there are plenty of immigrants who have been done for no licence no insurance, but they still drive. So a dash cam providing you do nothing wrong (as it can give you away as well)can be an asset now adays with some of the scammers on the roads.

Think the best way forward is to stay off the beaten track avoid rowdy parties and gagles of raucus females, they are often worse than the blokes.It is so ofetn how tomtom says the brit abroad looking for fish and chips and a pint of tetleys, and the women chucking as much down their throats as they can befoe they actually out. so why go aboroad to do the same as you do at home? boring. Trouble is they do not respect different cultures, wouldnt dream of looking at a cathedral, or art gallery, or some point of interest its all about getting rat arsed at the end of the day in general spoiling it for everyone else.
PS have been told today that there is also a new scam out by somethat claim to be from DVLA asking for your licence details to avoid points, so beware.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#4 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 13 February 2018 - 15:46

View Postjourneyman, on 13 February 2018 - 15:13, said:

Like many others I have heard of and read about such things and for me personally people that do that just to rip others off are scumbags, with no scrouples.
AS tomtom says some brits abroad have a very bad reputations, and sadly this is often reflected through to all the decent folk. Just on a peraonal note (I know Im now in the old gits league) but my wife and i have now finished abroad. we've both never really liked flying, but I was far worse than my wife, thats why we choose crusing, but that is now getting so cheap and popular it has encouraged some real bad behavior onboard and indeed in foreign ports, so for us its only UK now.

Regards driving and various scams I was bought as a Christmas present a dash cam, well driving round a port ship viviting etc, and driving various places through the country especially with a load of foreign drivers, not all truck neither, where I live there are plenty of immigrants who have been done for no licence no insurance, but they still drive. So a dash cam providing you do nothing wrong (as it can give you away as well)can be an asset now adays with some of the scammers on the roads.

Think the best way forward is to stay off the beaten track avoid rowdy parties and gagles of raucus females, they are often worse than the blokes.It is so ofetn how tomtom says the brit abroad looking for fish and chips and a pint of tetleys, and the women chucking as much down their throats as they can befoe they actually out. so why go aboroad to do the same as you do at home? boring. Trouble is they do not respect different cultures, wouldnt dream of looking at a cathedral, or art gallery, or some point of interest its all about getting rat arsed at the end of the day in general spoiling it for everyone else.
PS have been told today that there is also a new scam out by somethat claim to be from DVLA asking for your licence details to avoid points, so beware.

You put yourself down a bit mike ! you aint an old git but pretty well savvy on loads what is going on out there.

Tell you what though we have to protect our elderly because we have had 2 scam calls in the last 2 weeks that ended with them putting the phone down on us.

A so called bt employer phoned to say we were having probs with our router ? when i said we arent with bt the phone went down .

Now i,m a paranoid fooker and dont trust anyone and never will but we have seen how our elderly are getting scammed by these thieves.

#5 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 15:51

time for us oldies to get our own back. :grinny:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#6 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:44

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 13 February 2018 - 15:46, said:

You put yourself down a bit mike ! you aint an old git but pretty well savvy on loads what is going on out there.

Tell you what though we have to protect our elderly because we have had 2 scam calls in the last 2 weeks that ended with them putting the phone down on us.

A so called bt employer phoned to say we were having probs with our router ? when i said we arent with bt the phone went down .

Now i,m a paranoid fooker and dont trust anyone and never will but we have seen how our elderly are getting scammed by these thieves.

Those phone scams are a worry. My father nearly fell victim to one a few years ago, luckiky I was alerted and so took over the call and smelled a rat immediately. After I told them trying to exploit an old man was disgusting they got abusive. However they then tried calling back every day for a while... Proper scumbags.

#7 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 13:32

I now have BT call blocker and it works a treat no more calls from india and elswhere about my computer, its brilliant, but before that if I got asked to do something with my computer, I once said ok tell me what to type in and I will go and do it, so put the phone down and just left them for half an hour, eventually picking it up I said sorry about that ok thats all right now just type in ok then please wait then they just gave me a load of abuse and hung up.
But BT call blocker I can reccomend.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#8 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 February 2018 - 14:06

Good one journo. My first question was "if you're from Microsoft can you tell me what number I can call you back on" and they said they didn't accept incoming calls. They then changed tack and said they are a company sub contracted by Microsoft. Sad thing is they must have enough success for it to be profitable as it seems such a prominent problem.

I got call blocker for my aunt who was having spam calls a lot. She says it's been great.

#9 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 15:46

Can even block the wife when she is out. :lmao: :lmao:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#10 User is offline   PringleSpurs 

• Trialist
  • Pip

Posted 19 February 2018 - 23:25

I personally just avoid where Russians go.

#11 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 20 February 2018 - 16:14

Aw shucks Russians are ok I mix with a lot of them ship visiting. Just waiting for the call to come from President Putin. :niceone:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users