• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The weight continues......

#1 User is offline   Notimelikethepresent 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:15

So this could be us as a club if you want a bit more than the quietening lure of a top 4 finish but is actually a reference to the issues around the nation's weight.

Firstly this is not a judgement call as opposed to a discussion but see in my opening gambit the complete paradox of today where you see 'Just Eat' sales soar and the 'Britain needs to go on a diet' initiative. It shows you the complete dichotomy.

So my question is honestly what would you do or think should be done to help improve what is fast becoming a crisis which lets face it we won't be able to afford as a nation?

I know harsh messages are unpalatable in a society that is transforming and in my opinion in danger of becoming sterile and losing its frisson so what practical steps should we be taking to control the kilograms?

#2 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:54

Might sound harsh but I don't understand why it's offensive to tell people obesity causes cancer. There can be underlying medical issues that cause people to be overweight but the majority of the time it's often got a more solvable cause.

I'm not saying all fat people decide to be fat. It's obviously not that simple. But poor education, depression and the often higher cost of healthy food as well as the relative ease and affordability at which unhealthy food is available are all factors.

I also think very basic advice on how to control weight should be imperative in schools. As a kid my weight fluctuated from being a bit on the heavy side to my family being worried I was far too skinny (I was skipping breakfast and lunch to play sports, not really thinking about it). More advice on portion control and recommended calorie intake as well as the whole stop eating before you're completely full to allow time for your stomach to catch up should be known by every teenager in the country. There's so much focus on exercise but it's actually much easier to control your weight or lose weight by simply eating less calories than you burn. I know in the long run lots of exercise is more recommended but it takes time and discipline to lose weight in that fashion whereas anyone can drink a pint of water before a meal and eat less of what they like.

I also find a snobbishness a out helpful guides can be an issue. For example; the BMI. Yes it's not flawless as some people are naturally underweight by their scale as they have rapid metabolisms and the fact that people with bulky muscle are often considered overweight - but for the average Joe or Jane it's a good indication of how far off a healthy weight you are, yet loads of people are disparaging about it.

#3 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:28

There are to many excuses for being a cake feind, and extreme cases will always annoy the majority.

Most people don't excercise enough, and dieting alone is leading to yoyo weight culture. You simply have to take responsibilty to do both and not rely on a doctor to provide some sort of miracle answer.

Basically, it's a lifetime issue, and education is always better than not. But we could find fault in TV and the sheer volume of cooking shows, advertising and marketing, the food industry and ridiculous amounts of naughty food available.

cr@p food being cheaper is about globalisation and the dominanmce of super markets over local small businesses, with their convenience of having it all under one roof.

#4 User is offline   No easy games 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, friends and football.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:15

View PostYidio Yidio, on 06 March 2018 - 13:28, said:

There are to many excuses for being a cake feind, and extreme cases will always annoy the majority.

Most people don't excercise enough, and dieting alone is leading to yoyo weight culture. You simply have to take responsibilty to do both and not rely on a doctor to provide some sort of miracle answer.

Basically, it's a lifetime issue, and education is always better than not. But we could find fault in TV and the sheer volume of cooking shows, advertising and marketing, the food industry and ridiculous amounts of naughty food available.

cr@p food being cheaper is about globalisation and the dominanmce of super markets over local small businesses, with their convenience of having it all under one roof.

Sugar in everything. Food industry has a lot of responsibility. Most people now think a glass of orange juice, a bowl of cereal and a yoghurt would make a healthy breakfast, when you'd be better off with a black coffee and a bacon sandwich.

#5 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:27

that's not necessarily true - bacon, along with other processed meats, have been strongly linked to cancer and other issues in the last 3 years. Agree that too much sugar is bad though.

yidio - I don't disagree that you need to eat well and eat healthily, my point was more directed at people who are overweight/obese rather than those likely to yo-yo diet. Regular exercise can seem very difficult to get into if you don't have the time or the motivation - whereas eating less doesn't require any extra effort and might get you on the right path.

#6 User is offline   No easy games 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, friends and football.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:56

View Posttomtom, on 06 March 2018 - 14:27, said:

that's not necessarily true - bacon, along with other processed meats, have been strongly linked to cancer and other issues in the last 3 years. Agree that too much sugar is bad though.

Hey - we were talking weight not carcinogens

Obviously a green tea and some blueberries to wash down.

#7 User is offline   journeyman 

• player with most appearances
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:59

My own view on all this: my wife has a rather or should I say very bad condition with her spine, she has to watch what she eats,colestral etc, and because of this condition, it has led to Eyeritus, also a form of blind migraines, issues with her posture, which creates a walking problem, but she goes out every single day come h*ll or high water, and walks, a simple thing, she used to have her posture checked, and movment of limbs checked, also her feet attended by the choropodist, but now she has been told she no longer meets the new govern ment criteria!! Why when she is never going to get batter maybe only worse, the best she can hope for is to remain as she is, and that is always in some form of pain, and aches, yet she cannot get help, NOW THE SAD BIT, a person we know he gorged on junk food, stuffed himself silly with chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cakes, you name it, and in the end caused himself to have bad type 2 diebetes, be unfit for work in his late 30's, is get everything chucked at him all the help he needs, and his is all self inflicted, yet my wife who has worked all her life upto state pension age of 60 (as it was for people of our generation) cant get no help at all. the system stinks and the NHS is letting down people like us that have worked and paid into all of our lives.

Today Ive had a second hearing test, because my hearing was damaged in the forces, serving my country, and what the NHS have offered me regards hearing aids are awful, and very poorly set up, etc, so today Ive signed up for hearing aids privately, at a cost of over £3,000.00 Ive had to to get anything half decent,I cant really afford such a price but hearing is one of our main senses, and all of our senses are very precious gifts.Can I get any help can I buggery.

I know this is a bit off track but basically its about people not being able to get anything, yet those that have self inflicted are given every thing it wears a bit thin.

All these government health issues dont eat this dont eat that, does anyone honestly believe they really care for your health, do they bo--ocks, they just want to keep you out of hospital to keep the nhs bill down that this government and ones before it have fcuked up.

When I first retired I studied then went on a fitness instructors course, I then worked in a gym, so a lot of this cr@p when the government talks about BMI, bone structure, carbs etc they honestly have not got a bloody clue, and as for that jeremy hunt he knows as much about health as I do bloody brain surgery.
Before You Judge My Life, My Past, Or My Character,

Walk In My Shoes, Walk The Path I Have Traveled, Live My Sorrow,
My Doubts, My Fear, My Pain, And My Laughter.

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,
When You've Lived My Life,Then you Can Judge Me.

#8 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Banned

Posted 06 March 2018 - 17:33

I work at a market and my pitch is right opposite greggs the bakers.

I see young mums feeding their little kiddies sausage rolls that are totally full of saturated fat, doughnuts , etc etc before they go to school.

Its total laziness in my opinion not to prepare their kiddies a healthier breakfast.

One stall holder i talk to summed it up that we are " a f***ing lazy nation "

Form your own opinions on this thread.

#9 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2018 - 17:51

View Postjourneyman, on 06 March 2018 - 15:59, said:

My own view on all this: my wife has a rather or should I say very bad condition with her spine, she has to watch what she eats,colestral etc, and because of this condition, it has led to Eyeritus, also a form of blind migraines, issues with her posture, which creates a walking problem, but she goes out every single day come h*ll or high water, and walks, a simple thing, she used to have her posture checked, and movment of limbs checked, also her feet attended by the choropodist, but now she has been told she no longer meets the new govern ment criteria!! Why when she is never going to get batter maybe only worse, the best she can hope for is to remain as she is, and that is always in some form of pain, and aches, yet she cannot get help, NOW THE SAD BIT, a person we know he gorged on junk food, stuffed himself silly with chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cakes, you name it, and in the end caused himself to have bad type 2 diebetes, be unfit for work in his late 30's, is get everything chucked at him all the help he needs, and his is all self inflicted, yet my wife who has worked all her life upto state pension age of 60 (as it was for people of our generation) cant get no help at all. the system stinks and the NHS is letting down people like us that have worked and paid into all of our lives.

Today Ive had a second hearing test, because my hearing was damaged in the forces, serving my country, and what the NHS have offered me regards hearing aids are awful, and very poorly set up, etc, so today Ive signed up for hearing aids privately, at a cost of over 3,000.00 Ive had to to get anything half decent,I cant really afford such a price but hearing is one of our main senses, and all of our senses are very precious gifts.Can I get any help can I buggery.

I know this is a bit off track but basically its about people not being able to get anything, yet those that have self inflicted are given every thing it wears a bit thin.

All these government health issues dont eat this dont eat that, does anyone honestly believe they really care for your health, do they bo--ocks, they just want to keep you out of hospital to keep the nhs bill down that this government and ones before it have fcuked up.

When I first retired I studied then went on a fitness instructors course, I then worked in a gym, so a lot of this cr@p when the government talks about BMI, bone structure, carbs etc they honestly have not got a bloody clue, and as for that jeremy hunt he knows as much about health as I do bloody brain surgery.

Please be careful Journo, some of the expensive hearing aids are a total rip off. I know a few people who started out on the private side only to eventually go back to NHS hearing aids and all have said although they are bigger and less concealed, that actually work much better. Years of hassle through vanity, which they openly admit was the motivation behind spending such a large sum on a thing the size of a peanut that basically didn't work.

#10 User is offline   journeyman 

• Interests:Going to the Gym, keeping fit,Weight Lifting. Port and seafarers Chaplaincy.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 18:46

Thanks for that mate, really appreciated. Ive had two tests with boots 6 months apart, and my hearing has dropped slightly but only on the more high pitched sounds. Its not so much the volume but the clarity. Now when I had both these boots tests, it was in a proper sound proof booth, but the NHS test which I mught add the NHS have now basically franchised out to various companys, I was not given a choice of company in my area, I had the appointment booked by GP and when it came it was just in a room in the surgery, I was sat at desk with head phones on and given the test, I could hear all other sounds from other rooms!!!

When you read on line, and the NHS leaflets they dish out, they all say that after your test your hearing aids take 3-5 weeks to come, a mould is made dedicatedly made for your ear, and then they are fitted for you. Notin my case as I say I sat in this room with all other sounds, and was given a pair of hearings there and then a total time from walking to walking out 22 minutes. But the test in boots a pair were calibrated for me according to the results of my test, they were just trial ones. They were then fitted, and I was sent off with my wife to walk around the store with also the audiologist who was talking to my wife and then asked me what I heard. These aids are specifically set up for my hearing level, they are digital which nhs are not, they are battery free, nhs not, take them out on a night stick them in a charger That comes in the price, and thats it. Gaureenteed for five years. free checks every six months, the nhs ones were awful as was the manor of my test, I thought I would at least have had it done in a hospital under proper conditions, and when I tried them on and walked home in them the sound and back ground noise was horrendous. Also I was told by the person that did nhs test that when I take them out on a night then put them back in the morning I have to keep adjusting the sound settings button on the thing behind the ear, the ones Im going for are preset, take them out put them back no fiddling with volune controls.

But thanks for the heads up any way. :niceone:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#11 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2018 - 19:00

Good luck, hope they work for you. :niceone:

#12 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:18

got two chances mate, although Im ok with general conversation, hearing and talking to people, ok on the phone, biggest problem for me is some of the tv programes, especially when there are quietely spoken passages in what ever im watching, I want the sound up then I'm deafening the wife. :grinny:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

#13 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2018 - 22:11

I find TV progs go up and down, then the adverts blast you out the chair. Had a big problem with the wife (Skyler) in the series Breaking Bad. She whispered a lot of her lines at times. My hearing is generally ok apart from some TV, but my wife has it so low I find myself straining to hear, probably why I've hit over 6K posts on here :P

#14 User is offline   journeyman 

Posted 07 March 2018 - 15:20

Thats exactly how i am thats a good word "Straining". I dont know if you saw it it but that programe Taboo brilliant I thought but I know I missed so much of the spoken word, but could follow it, that was one series that was pretty much all quiete, so I know exactly what you mean.

PS well done on the posing mate just seen getting over the 6k now well done indeed, loong may it last, and if the wife keeps the telly to low the next 6k might come quicker. :grinny: :clap: :clap:

REMEMBER

Everyone Has A Story,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users