• You cannot reply to this topic

PSV at Wembley

#41 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 November 2018 - 23:05

Lot of harsh critiques on here.

Thought we did quite well but weren't clinical enough. Their goal was well worked rather than soft and we peppered their keeper all game. We dominated in a way we've rarely done this season and finally found a way through.

Poch got the subs right for me. Moura had slowed 2nd half after his herculean efforts in the first. Llorente meant we had another physical presence in the box where they'd been winning far too many balls, which was pivotal for the first goal.

Davies needs a few more tricks up his sleeve as when he's in space his delivery is decent. Aurier looked rusty, as did Eriksen.

Winks had to do 2 CMs jobs and did it well. We played closer to a 4-3-3 today and looked dangerous against a packed defence. Their keeper did well but we need to get back to finding the corners.

We got lucky with Kane's 2nd but we were owed it after Sanchez goal was wrongly disallowed at their place.

#42 User is offline   SteveB 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:24

bottom line is we have to win in the Nou Camp as well as beating Inter at Wembley - a very very big ask

#43 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:12

We desperately need vertonghen back for the last two CL games. Hope he is close to a return 😕

#44 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:26

Realistically we are capable of beating Inter, but Barca at their own patch? I doubt it so will be happy to win the Europa league.

Still quite bewildered why he took off Moura instead of Son for Lamela who I thought would have started. Son seems to be getting very selfish on the ball but on the positive side Winks is growing by the game and should be long term replacement for Moussa

#45 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:38

View PostSteveB, on 07 November 2018 - 06:24, said:

bottom line is we have to win in the Nou Camp as well as beating Inter at Wembley - a very very big ask

Our team is capable of beating Inter at Wembley and as for Barca they probably would of won top spot by then, I expect them to field a weaker team when we play them. Stop being so negative.

#46 User is offline   SteveB 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:55

View PostSpurs scout, on 07 November 2018 - 09:38, said:

Our team is capable of beating Inter at Wembley and as for Barca they probably would of won top spot by then, I expect them to field a weaker team when we play them. Stop being so negative.

Its not negative, its realistic. What you also seem to be overlooking is that we will also require PSV to get a result in the San Siro.

#47 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:04

View Posttomtom, on 06 November 2018 - 23:05, said:

Lot of harsh critiques on here.

Thought we did quite well but weren't clinical enough. Their goal was well worked rather than soft and we peppered their keeper all game. We dominated in a way we've rarely done this season and finally found a way through.

Poch got the subs right for me. Moura had slowed 2nd half after his herculean efforts in the first. Llorente meant we had another physical presence in the box where they'd been winning far too many balls, which was pivotal for the first goal.

Davies needs a few more tricks up his sleeve as when he's in space his delivery is decent. Aurier looked rusty, as did Eriksen.

Winks had to do 2 CMs jobs and did it well. We played closer to a 4-3-3 today and looked dangerous against a packed defence. Their keeper did well but we need to get back to finding the corners.

We got lucky with Kane's 2nd but we were owed it after Sanchez goal was wrongly disallowed at their place.

Of course we dominated tom there a very poor side plus we gifted them an early goal and they were never coming out of there box after that,and it happens to often, I mean gifted them a goal because dele should never had been marking there best header of the ball ""madness"" inter are poor as well but they won't give us chances the way we seem to hand them out,,yea we will out play you for 85 minutes but we will always give you a chance to get into the game this is the lesson we just can't seem to learn,,you only have to look a the juve games last year out classed them but they had a 5 min spell were we fell apart because it wasn't all going our way,, as for barca away no chance even if they rest big players, there just a class above

#48 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:50

They're really not as poor as people keep saying. Yes they're from a weaker league but they're not unbeaten and top by accident. They were defensively very strong and have a couple exciting attacking players.

Dele is 6 foot and good in the air. De Jong isn't quick and started outside the area. It's not as mad as you think to have Dele marking him, but his movement was excellent, the other player blocking Dele was very clever and Toby still had time to adjust when they switched and misjudged the flight of the ball (something he's done a lot more often this season). Without Dier or another DM on the pitch we didn't have enough CBs and DMs to cover their CBs and strikers.

Barca are undoubtedly a class above but so were Real Madrid last season. And we gave Barca's first team a game despite stupid mistakes early on.

In fact we'd comfortably be 2nd in the group at least if it weren't for individual errors. Cut them out in our next two games and anything is possible.

I've always said it's a big ask to get out the group after our first couple games, but Poch and the players believe. To dare is to do gents.

#49 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:52

View PostSteveB, on 07 November 2018 - 09:55, said:

Its not negative, its realistic. What you also seem to be overlooking is that we will also require PSV to get a result in the San Siro.

Not necessarily. Score more than 2 Vs Inter and win the game (2-0, 3-2 & etc all better head to head results) and beat Barca and we're through regardless of what PSV do. It's in our hands. Just.

#50 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:02

Nice to get a win finally . The fans that went deserved it . I was in a pub watching it so didnít t really get to see the full game , but whenever I looked up we were attacking . So it looked like we deserved to win it . It is the europa for us , and Iím actually looking forward to it , because we could win it .

Nothing I can add to our full back situation . We all know donít we .

#51 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 14:05

The key game is to beat Inter. Without that win we have no chance. After that we can see how we do against Barcelona and maybe PSV can do us a favour!

#52 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 November 2018 - 15:26

View PostChrisPienaar, on 07 November 2018 - 14:05, said:

The key game is to beat Inter. Without that win we have no chance. After that we can see how we do against Barcelona and maybe PSV can do us a favour!

agreed - but if we can beat Inter by 2+ goals it'll be even more in our hands as we'll have a superior head to head record. I'd love to see us go with a similarly attacking line up, it might backfire but it I'd rather we went down trying to score a bucketload!

#53 User is offline   Silver 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2018 - 21:30

View Posttomtom, on 07 November 2018 - 10:52, said:

Not necessarily. Score more than 2 Vs Inter and win the game (2-0, 3-2 & etc all better head to head results) and beat Barca and we're through regardless of what PSV do. It's in our hands. Just.

3:2 vs Inter and we lose head to head because of away goals. We have to win either 1:0 or by 2 goals difference. Or 2:1 and finish the group with better goals balance

#54 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 November 2018 - 00:24

View PostSilver, on 08 November 2018 - 21:30, said:

3:2 vs Inter and we lose head to head because of away goals. We have to win either 1:0 or by 2 goals difference. Or 2:1 and finish the group with better goals balance

Yup. Read more on it since. I'd rather we went out trying to win by 2 than trying to hold a 1-0 lead.

#55 User is offline   Silver 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:22

View Posttomtom, on 09 November 2018 - 00:24, said:

Yup. Read more on it since. I'd rather we went out trying to win by 2 than trying to hold a 1-0 lead.

Yeah, me too. Trying to win 1:0 almost never ends well, and with our attacking players we're capable of scoring few goals against any defence. This season we finally have different options, and the team can be set up differently. We have pace in Moura and Son, we have creativity in Eriksen and Lamela, and we have deadly finishers in Kane and Dele, and Poch seems to be using all the players rather than play same starting XI in all matches (as he used to do) which is brilliant. Not sure how much is that to our injuries and how much to Poch's change of approach, but in recent interveiw for SkySports he said that he's now finally happy with his bench options and he's using them more confidently than in the past. It bodes well for the future, thanks to rotation we can manage hectic periods (e.g. Christmass and New Year) and arrive for the finishing months of the season in good physical condition. Even how we managed recent 2 weeks shows we're now capable of fighting on many fronts and playing game every 3days or even more often.

#56 User is offline   SteveB 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:34

View PostSteveB, on 05 November 2018 - 20:57, said:

it will be interesting to see what the attendance figure is - i doubt it will be much over 50,000

Attendance was 46,588 - hardly surprising

#57 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2018 - 16:23

View PostSteveB, on 11 November 2018 - 12:34, said:

Attendance was 46,588 - hardly surprising

Thats so low for a CL match?! Wow.

#58 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 12 November 2018 - 16:38

it was a limited capacity match I believe so still over 94% available attendance if my maths is right.

but there's no two ways about it. The fans are getting out of the habit of going to Wembley and everyone felt the CL was a lost cause.

Wonder if the Inter game will be busier considering if we win that by 2 goals our fate is in our own hands at Barca.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users