Arsenal vs Spurs

#61 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:12

View Posttomtom, on 03 December 2018 - 00:50, said:

just about calmed down.

Deflection off Dier was lucky. Red card for Jan was unfair.

Other than that we deserved what we got and less. Sissoko of 2 seasons ago showed up and was joined by plenty of other players who forgot how to pass a ball under pressure.

I get why Foyth started but it backfired and Jan clearly wasn't fit enough to face that kind of attack.

No this one is on poch.

- toby on the bench?! For an young CB who has a crushed confidence level now
- sissoko made a few good appearances on cm, send back to the right wing again?
- they had 2 midfielders & we lost that
- winks for dier would have made more sense in this line up
- tactics high line, 1 midfielder who tried to get the ball , we could have played 4231 like we used to do in such games.
- Very very late subs

#62 User is offline   Notimelikethepresent 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:24

Got to say some really good posts here.

It is a combination of what everyone has said.

Foyth is a real talent but froze a bit. Where is the leader to guide him? Non existent it seems.

Lloris needed to have a worldie but losing was not down to him.

Out attack was poor as well. Offered too little threat and gave the defence minimal respite.

We lacked cohesion and were not resolute. They scythed through us at will which infuriated me.

We lost to a side that played better on the day but one that is not better in my opinion.

3 hard games in 8 days would take it out of any team but those who want to win things do not capitulate like we did.

It is always thus with us that just as we dare to believe we are quickly reminded of our fragility.

Wednesday is an important game. Whether it actually comes too soon we will soon find out.

And absolutely, where is that 2nd striker? Utterly criminal that we still do not have one that provides a proper option.

#63 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2018 - 13:15

I really bad day at the office. To be fair they were a good two goals better than us. The result was partly due to a few poor performances, partly because of a few bad choices by Poch, and lastly because we are short of players to chose from. We lacked tenacity in mid field, and they were first to every ball. It almost looked like they were playing a London derby, and we weren't. I found it hard to believe that we were the same team as the one which played Chelsea. Vets and Foyth was a crazy choice. The game was to big for Foyth, and Verts having been out for a while needed to Toby beside him. It's pretty bad that the only other centre half we have is actually a defensive mid fielder. On that point, Wanyama now looks pretty much finished, and Dier doesn't appear to be half the player he used to be. Surely we need some steel in mid-field again.

#64 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2018 - 13:25

For me poch needs to grow tactically. He finds it so hard to make changes sometimes. Arsenal brought on Ramsey and lacazette who both had massive impacts. After seeing our first half performance it was clear something wasnít right yet it wasnít till we were 4-2 down that we made our first sub! That is ridiculous.

#65 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 14:23

Canít really add much more to whatís already been said . Just canít figure out how a manager can put in a perfect tactical performance against Chelsea and inter Milan to that complete shambles yesterday . Totaly down to the manger that was yesterday . If he is gonna get Praised he has to be criticised. Thatí yesterday was appawling , and he should be ashamed of himself .

But to be honest I would much rather win the league cup game . That is more important to me .

#66 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 14:33

Arsenal rested 10 players midweek. We looked fatigued. We have too many players out or not fully fit (Rose, Vertonghen & etc).

Poch made some errors but part of why we've been more on the front foot lately has been down to Foyth bringing the ball out and passing forwards aggressively at every opportunity. Unfortunately Arsenal pressed the h*ll out of our defence and we didn't have an answer for it all game.

Foyth being the whipping boy is ridiculous imo. He had a poor game but Jan, Sissoko, Aurier, Dier were more directly at fault for the result. Not to mention none of our big players having a good game.

Dele had 6 successful passes in the 2nd half and 4 were from kick offs. Why didn't he drop deeper and help Dier and Sissoko win the battle in the middle?!

Son's dive was a bit of joke. He wasn't clinical enough on the break.

Kane barely touched the ball.

#67 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 14:34

As for Jan's 2nd yellow, I've not watched it back but my read was he played the ball and caught the player in the follow through. It was a painful one I'm sure but it was a natural position for Jan's foot to be in after stretching to play the ball.

#68 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 15:36

Yeah I agree, the young lad shouldnít bear the brunt , yes he was bad but so were many others . But I donít understand why he Toby didnít play .

As for their equaliser to make it 2-2, for me Hugo has to be better. There was only one place lacozette could hit the ball into. Hugo should have anticipated that .

As for playing such a high line , itís suicide against teams like arsenal, Man City and Liverpool .

But the biggest error of the day was not changing things around the hour mark , when we looked completely over run .

#69 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 16:52

View Poststokesie, on 03 December 2018 - 15:36, said:

Yeah I agree, the young lad shouldn’t bear the brunt , yes he was bad but so were many others . But I don’t understand why he Toby didn’t play .

As for their equaliser to make it 2-2, for me Hugo has to be better. There was only one place lacozette could hit the ball into. Hugo should have anticipated that .

As for playing such a high line , it’s suicide against teams like arsenal, Man City and Liverpool .

But the biggest error of the day was not changing things around the hour mark , when we looked completely over run .

The fans was not having a go a foyth, it was aimed at Poch for playing a inexperience player in a big game like this. I rate Foyth and think he is a huge prospect but in the three premier league games he made mistakes and could easily have three penalties in three games.

#70 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 16:56

View Posttomtom, on 03 December 2018 - 14:34, said:

As for Jan's 2nd yellow, I've not watched it back but my read was he played the ball and caught the player in the follow through. It was a painful one I'm sure but it was a natural position for Jan's foot to be in after stretching to play the ball.

Jan bottled it, he could not handle the pressure that is why he done that hand ball and you could see he was a ticking time bomb on the picth, I agree with Flying dutchman, Poch got it wrong and it has dejavu feeling of last year. If you look at the first half against Utd we could easily of been two or three nil down, we always seem all over the place away from home against the top five clubs, partly is because our players don't have the belief despite our win at old trafford and Poch has a habit of questionable tactics, when they work he is a genius when they don't work our plan A goes out of the window because we don't have a plan b.

I was impressed by there manager, he looked like he wanted it more then Poch, he made changes straight away when the game was threatening to go in our favour by changing formation and tactics to make it go in there favour, while Poch just sat there feeling sorry for himself when everyone could see what was about to unfold while Unai Emery walks around the touch line kicking every ball like his life depended on it.

#71 User is offline   SteveB 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2018 - 17:11

I think it best that we admit that it was an very poor team performance backed up with some awful tactical decisions by the manager. I don't actually think that any of our players can look back on that game and say they played well. Yes I know the pain is made worse because we were shown up by the Arsenal but personally I was more annoyed by the defeat at Watford. We all know that we are woefully short of players, especially strikers. Why on earth we didn't go in for Rondon I really don't know

That all being said lets draw a line underneath this and move on to Wednesday and a game against the managerless Southampton

#72 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 17:17

View PostSpurs scout, on 03 December 2018 - 16:52, said:

The fans was not having a go a foyth, it was aimed at Poch for playing a inexperience player in a big game like this. When you saw the team sheet, how many of you was confident of getting a result against the scum.

Yeah I agree . I felt sorry for the lad , it was a poor decision from poch. I still can get my head around , us turning up there with literally no game plan . Very odd .

But we move on , I fancy us to win in the week.
This league quarterfinal against them is massive . Surely people can see how important this is for the club .

#73 User is offline   Notimelikethepresent 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2018 - 17:38

View Poststokesie, on 03 December 2018 - 17:17, said:

Yeah I agree . I felt sorry for the lad , it was a poor decision from poch. I still can get my head around , us turning up there with literally no game plan . Very odd .

This league quarterfinal against them is massive . Surely people can see how important this is for the club .

I hope Pochettino sees it but so should the players who were involved yesterday.

Lots of mitigating reasons but we were just so poor.

The League Cup. They have only 2 dsys to recover. No way we will face their strongest or fittest team.

#74 User is online   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 03 December 2018 - 17:48

I think both games were hugely important but your right that the league cup tie has become of significant importance.
I think it's the way we lost it that has me spitting feathers from yesterday , how for their equalizer were we left exposed through two passes ?
I'm taking nothing away from the finish it was good but the fact we were cut open whilst in the lead with two passes bought back memories of how we used to fold like wet cardboard.

#75 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 December 2018 - 18:09

I agree, It is a good job we have a match so quickly after that, we could be back in the top four . I am just annoyed that our side losing to them lot, I have to put up with friends and some family members from the dark side annoying insults and bragging.

#76 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:14

View PostSteveB, on 03 December 2018 - 17:11, said:

I think it best that we admit that it was an very poor team performance backed up with some awful tactical decisions by the manager. I don't actually think that any of our players can look back on that game and say they played well. Yes I know the pain is made worse because we were shown up by the Arsenal but personally I was more annoyed by the defeat at Watford. We all know that we are woefully short of players, especially strikers. Why on earth we didn't go in for Rondon I really don't know

That all being said lets draw a line underneath this and move on to Wednesday and a game against the managerless Southampton

Rondon wouldn't have made a difference vs Arsenal. Kane and Dele literally got none of the ball, especially 2nd half. We lost the midfield battle... And quite often we lost it on the edge of our area before it even reached a midfielder.

#77 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:24

They basically did to us what we did to Chelsea. The surprising thing for me was how unable we were just to get organised. No one there to pull people into positions and do the simple things like passing to your own player. They were all poor with no exception.

Poch has to take the blame for playing Foyth over Toby for as well as the lad has played he had to play Toby based on the Inter performance and the reaction from them at the end of the game. The entire defence was a shambles and the lack of will to change things around from Poch was poor. Even when we were leading we were poor so I was thinking he was going to take of an attacker bring on Toby or drop Dier into a 3 and match them like for like after half time but he did nothing.

It was p!ss poor all round and in some ways found it funny that at work everyone keeps saying what a game it was and me telling them it was cr@p and the worst we've played in a few years.

#78 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2018 - 18:41

View PostSpursDan, on 02 December 2018 - 22:37, said:

think it shows how far weíve come how excited their fans have got about this win 😂😂 Iím waiting for the open top bus next....

You're missing the bigger picture SpursDan. We had the chance to put then firmly back in their box but instead we've let the genie out of the bottle!! This result is massive for them. ThŤy now believe they are better than us and belueve top 4 possible. Poch shoukd effing well pick his best available 11 for these games and cut the BS. Foyth for Toby. Seriously??

#79 User is offline   Notimelikethepresent 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2018 - 17:18

View PostHeisenberg, on 04 December 2018 - 18:41, said:

You're missing the bigger picture SpursDan. We had the chance to put then firmly back in their box but instead we've let the genie out of the bottle!! This result is massive for them. ThŤy now believe they are better than us and belueve top 4 possible. Poch shoukd effing well pick his best available 11 for these games and cut the BS. Foyth for Toby. Seriously??

You are partly right but us winning would not have stopped their belief. Dented yes but no more than that.

I don't believe this season we are going to see much ftom them. They really are not that good. On an amazing run but I see that as flaky but maybe my bias is kicking in.

What a win on Sunday would have said is that we are one of 3 who can win the title.

I think it's City's again unless they get a spate of injuries. Too much money and so many very good players because that cry baby Spendiola demands it. And they will get a couple of Lyon players for next season.

But Arsenal will falter I believe but our inactivity in summer will be forever criminal and if not partially addressed in January will stretch fans loyalty to breaking point.

#80 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2018 - 20:53

View PostNotimelikethepresent, on 05 December 2018 - 17:18, said:

You are partly right but us winning would not have stopped their belief. Dented yes but no more than that.

I don't believe this season we are going to see much ftom them. They really are not that good. On an amazing run but I see that as flaky but maybe my bias is kicking in.

What a win on Sunday would have said is that we are one of 3 who can win the title.

I think it's City's again unless they get a spate of injuries. Too much money and so many very good players because that cry baby Spendiola demands it. And they will get a couple of Lyon players for next season.

But Arsenal will falter I believe but our inactivity in summer will be forever criminal and if not partially addressed in January will stretch fans loyalty to breaking point.

Take your point. I look at Arse's starting 11 and with the exception of their strikers who are both natueal goslscorers their team looks s***e. But 20 unbeaten including 4 points from Spurs and Man U has to be recognised. This is not Wenger's Arsenal.

As for title race no sorry much as I would love it that is not happening this season. We are in a mini league with Chavs and Arse for top 4.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users