Planet Spurs Forums: How could levy keep poch at spurs ? - Planet Spurs Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How could levy keep poch at spurs ? If he is tempted by the man utd job. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:30

Not trying to start an argument between those who see it differently ! (ie) those that think he will stay and those that think he will go.
Only poch and levy know the truth but what could levy possibly do to change his mind if poch is thinking of leaving.

Well firstly has poch achieved / taken spurs as far as he can with what he has to work with ?

If you were pochettino and had successive top 4 prem finishes then would it be frustrating to see other clubs spending on players that are out of your reach because of the owners spending restrictions ?

Is it possible pochettino see,s himself one or two good players short of seriously mounting a title challenge but constantly hits a brick wall called daniel levy when it comes to spending ?

Has levy got it in him to put this right ?

In the transfer pecking order we are miles behind man city (but so are a lot of other prem clubs)
We are also behind , man utd, liverpool, arsenal. chelsea and maybe everton or possibly level with them.

So even though we keep finishing in the top four we are well behind other teams that finish below us : if you were poch would not pee you off a little?

I cant see levy changing the habit of his tottenham chairmanship lifetime so for me i think we will lose the best manager we have had in years summer 2019, after all he wont have all the financial restraints levy imposes on him at spurs ! ... at man utd.

A little premature but who,s in the hat to replace him ?

Well his assistant Jesus Perez would know how pochettino works so maybe he is in the running.
Other names put forward on here is Benitez,Howe,Wenger, and a few foreigners.

Seriously hope he stays though.

#2 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:53

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 23 December 2018 - 07:30, said:

Not trying to start an argument between those who see it differently ! (ie) those that think he will stay and those that think he will go.
Only poch and levy know the truth but what could levy possibly do to change his mind if poch is thinking of leaving.

Well firstly has poch achieved / taken spurs as far as he can with what he has to work with ?

If you were pochettino and had successive top 4 prem finishes then would it be frustrating to see other clubs spending on players that are out of your reach because of the owners spending restrictions ?

Is it possible pochettino see,s himself one or two good players short of seriously mounting a title challenge but constantly hits a brick wall called daniel levy when it comes to spending ?

Has levy got it in him to put this right ?

In the transfer pecking order we are miles behind man city (but so are a lot of other prem clubs)
We are also behind , man utd, liverpool, arsenal. chelsea and maybe everton or possibly level with them.

So even though we keep finishing in the top four we are well behind other teams that finish below us : if you were poch would not pee you off a little?

I cant see levy changing the habit of his tottenham chairmanship lifetime so for me i think we will lose the best manager we have had in years summer 2019, after all he wont have all the financial restraints levy imposes on him at spurs ! ... at man utd.

A little premature but who,s in the hat to replace him ?

Well his assistant Jesus Perez would know how pochettino works so maybe he is in the running.
Other names put forward on here is Benitez,Howe,Wenger, and a few foreigners.

Seriously hope he stays though.

Perez and the whole coaching staff would almost certainly go with Poch,thatís the pattern these days. Wenger,ex Arsenal,not in a month of Sundays.Besides that heís a dinosaur .Eddie Howe would be a disaster .Whatnis really annoying me is that virtually every tv and radio pundit plus the press are indicating that Poch should go,to,United, and that they should make him their number one target. Why the h*ll is ot being concluded that United must be reinstated as the top club in the country and that Pochmismthe one to do that. Simply because they have the biggest fan base and are a massive draw on tv. Shy and everyone else ate thinking about headlines and tv coverage.

#3 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:05

We have to be realistic. If we get a top player, top manager, or even a top kit man, sooner or later he will be lured away. You see, it's about the money Poch will earn, and the opportunity he will get to improve the squad. Like it or not Poch is probably the ideal match for Utd. That said, I don't think it will be until the summer, and if Olly does decent a job, who knows, the vacancy may not come open. The thing is, unlike Real Madrid, Barca, City, or Chelsea, he will be given time at Utd, and he knows that. IF he goes, and I mean IF, I would go for Eddie Howe, and only because I can't think of anyone better. He has done well at Bournemouth, and he hasn't spent a fortune, which we know will attract Levy.

#4 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2018 - 13:39

View Postold spur, on 23 December 2018 - 10:05, said:

We have to be realistic. If we get a top player, top manager, or even a top kit man, sooner or later he will be lured away. You see, it's about the money Poch will earn, and the opportunity he will get to improve the squad. Like it or not Poch is probably the ideal match for Utd. That said, I don't think it will be until the summer, and if Olly does decent a job, who knows, the vacancy may not come open. The thing is, unlike Real Madrid, Barca, City, or Chelsea, he will be given time at Utd, and he knows that. IF he goes, and I mean IF, I would go for Eddie Howe, and only because I can't think of anyone better. He has done well at Bournemouth, and he hasn't spent a fortune, which we know will attract Levy.

I disagree about this being about how much poch will earn, this for me is about does poch believe he could achieve more at Utd.

Unfortunately where I do agree with you is that if I was a neutral I would also believe he is the ideal candidate and he will get time at Utd, will he get the power and authority he gets with us though?
As fans I think we are all weighing up the pros and cons of staying without trying to be to biased , I just think ultimately levy should be thinking of replacements just in case the outcome is not what we want.

#5 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 23 December 2018 - 14:15

View Postwillyid82, on 23 December 2018 - 13:39, said:

I disagree about this being about how much poch will earn, this for me is about does poch believe he could achieve more at Utd.

Unfortunately where I do agree with you is that if I was a neutral I would also believe he is the ideal candidate and he will get time at Utd, will he get the power and authority he gets with us though?
As fans I think we are all weighing up the pros and cons of staying without trying to be to biased , I just think ultimately levy should be thinking of replacements just in case the outcome is not what we want.

Yes old spur has the money thing wrong as levy has really upped his wages to take that issue out from the equation.

Its about getting players in that would make a difference and that is where levy fails his manager.

Levy & co have decided to keep the manager well paid in the hope that will negate interest from other clubs.

Its a bit of a gamble with the added incentive of the new stadium opening with a new future full of financial promise from levy and lewis that no one including poch believes in anymore.

#6 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:03

Some players United have tried to buy since Fergie left...

Ronaldo twice, Bale three times, Kane three times, Aldeweireld, Dele, Higuain, Dybala, Eric Dier, Danny Rose, Mahrez.

Those of you who think they can sign whoever they like haven't been paying attention.

#7 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:54

Actually think these rumours are galvanising the side. Can see it actually helping rather than hindering our season as our players seem to want to show him he doesn't need to move.

I think Poch is using it psychologically to get the best from the players

#8 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:56

2 points off 2nd with no stadium, no signings and probably most first team injuries in the league. Give him a knighthood

#9 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 23 December 2018 - 18:25

View Posttomtom, on 23 December 2018 - 17:03, said:

Ronaldo twice, Bale three times, Kane three times, Aldeweireld, Dele, Higuain, Dybala, Eric Dier, Danny Rose, Mahrez.

Those of you who think they can sign whoever they like haven't been paying attention.

OK .....LOL

#10 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 23 December 2018 - 19:41

Don't get me wrong. They're still rich but 2 of the last 3 managers have whinged publicly about not being able to get the players they want.

#11 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:26

View Posttomtom, on 23 December 2018 - 19:41, said:

Don't get me wrong. They're still rich but 2 of the last 3 managers have whinged publicly about not being able to get the players they want.

I would guess the rise of & the spending power of their neighbours man city has affected them more than it has other clubs in the prem.

They definitely arent manchesters top team anymore but they still have a lot of financial clout.

Two teams in the prem that really pee me off with their attitude is man utd and liverpool.
Their fans believe they have a divine right to be turning other teams over and winning things.

I listen to radio five phone in sometimes! both man utd and liverpool fans when they get beaten come out with that old chestnut " we should be beating teams like we played today"

Awful attitude !

#12 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 16:21

Going back to the question let's say Poch was formally approached by United in the summer and let's say he wanted to go. Levy could surprise everyone including Poch by playing hardball with Poch and basically saying ' you just signed a long contract and you're going nowhere'. Somebody needs to make a stand against these top of food chain clubs who just think they can steal managers, players etc. Wouldn't it be amazing if this happened. If anybody in world football could do it Levy could. It would be fantastic.

#13 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 28 December 2018 - 17:57

Levy knows Poch has him in his pocket till Utd get a manager and it's up to Poch if we're being honest how this pans out. It might not be all about transfer funds but competitive wages in Poch's eyes in terms of the whole squad and adding 1 or 2 real quality players?

Reading his book and his words over the past week I genuinely feel he will stay.

#14 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 28 December 2018 - 18:04

The problem with doing that , is that itís not healthy for anyone . The players, the manager and the fans. Would we really want a manager that asked to join another side ? ( not saying he is gonna do that by the way ) . Iím just saying if he did , levy could say no , then what ? You think everything can then just go back to normal ? And we all play happy families? Doesnít work like that .

If poch goes to levy after a official approach , and says I want to go, then itís game over . Our hope is that poch doesnít say that , and if he did , levy can persuade him to stay . It Just outright refusing is not a good thing . Persuading him is a very good thing . Itís about time this p***k earnt his money and started putting right a lot of his wrongs at this club

#15 User is offline   Lonspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 20:02

View Posttomtom, on 23 December 2018 - 17:03, said:

GREAT POST and a common sense one.

Frankly, I can't see Poch going. United are not in the semi-finals of the Carabou and are not going to make the CL unless they win the Europa.
I think Poch and all the players want to play in the new stadium. It's really up to Levy to back his manager in the transfer window - if not January then next time round.

Although we think of Levy in "business terms" he must surely want to be the first chairman to guide us to a major cup if he's any sort of fan. Perhaps I'm dreaming thinking that way but if Poch wins something big it must surely reflect on Levy as well? I think Levy and Poch had a plan and I would be amazed if Poch is the first one to dash it.

United will always have a pull but I think they are being eclipsed by other clubs. Whether we are one of them remains to be seen but we are still 13 points ahead of them and in second place. I just can't see Poch going this year. If the cupboard is bare again this season and we don't back the manager in the transfer market then next season might be a problem.

#16 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 December 2018 - 16:33

Simple answer to this question, let United take 4th spot from us. That way Olly keeps the job.

Or, stop United from getting champs league, that way they will have to employ Olly because Poch will stay.

If both clubs fail to make top 4, he'll leave for Madrid

#17 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:48

I canít see him making his decision based on What team is in the cl .

#18 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 January 2019 - 00:00

Winning the Carrabooboo cup won't sway him then.

#19 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:53

View PostYidio Yidio, on 03 January 2019 - 00:00, said:

Winning the Carrabooboo cup won't sway him then.

Your right, it wonít , but if he does go in the summer , it will be nice to look back at his time here , and think of a great memory of winning a trophy under him . I would remember that more fondly , than qualifying for a competition that is conditioning us for a corrupt organisations wet dream of a European super league.
A competition by the way , that we have zero chance of winning .

Utd might not qualify this year , and we might . Then next season they might but we might not .

But going back to the original point , I donít think winning any trophies , or qualifying for any competition will have any bearing on his dicision .

#20 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:01

Winning the carabooboo or fa cup are more likely to be seen as an end point, an excuse to leave. Qualification for a competition that incorporates all the top European teams and is widely accepted as the worlds premier competition can only be seen as a step towards progression, unless you actually win it. Absurd isn't it.

I'm still operating on what will keep him here, and having CL football simply has to help on that front. Because not having it doesn't.

Winning anything will warm some fans towards him and he does need to feel the love, but as we know, the fickle nature of most won't see that love last for long if the following seasons results aren't good.

Cl qualification will help more towards the possibility of investment in players, where as Carabooboo or FA just cannot offer that through prize money.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users