Planet Spurs Forums: How could levy keep poch at spurs ? - Planet Spurs Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How could levy keep poch at spurs ? If he is tempted by the man utd job. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:14

Very true .

What might work in our favour is bizarre as it sounds , Is Iím not convinced their is big support from Utd fans for him to there . I know ex players like Neville want him, but every call in on radio, comments on the internet and actual Utd fans I have spoken too, donít seem to be keen on him going there .
I know to us that seems madness , but from Utd fans I speak too , and from being down south thatís a lot , they seem to be under the impression that he stil has a lot to learn and is not in any way ready yet to take on the job .

I kind of see what they mean , Utd need someone who is ready now , this appointment has to be right .

#22 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Trevor Brooking

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:24

View Poststokesie, on 03 January 2019 - 10:14, said:

Very true .

What might work in our favour is bizarre as it sounds , Is Iím not convinced their is big support from Utd fans for him to there . I know ex players like Neville want him, but every call in on radio, comments on the internet and actual Utd fans I have spoken too, donít seem to be keen on him going there .
I know to us that seems madness , but from Utd fans I speak too , and from being down south thatís a lot , they seem to be under the impression that he stil has a lot to learn and is not in any way ready yet to take on the job .

I kind of see what they mean , Utd need someone who is ready now , this appointment has to be right .

Problem with this is that no one is more ready than Mourinho should have been. They need a bright innovative up and coming manager, not the Van Gaals or Mourinho types. Olly might actually fit the bill, we know Poch does but he'll be expensive and Olly is one of their own. I've heard a few Mancs calling for Olly for a few years now, not just after his honeymoon period of carefully planned easy opponents.

We have to believe that Poch isn't about buying an expensive team, more about continued development of one. However, we do know he doesn't like any form of backlash from the fans. That, I believe, will push him out the door as much as anything else.

#23 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:04

"My ambition is to win the Champions League one day with Tottenham or the Premier League. Sometimes the people take it wrong, my words. 'Oh the manager doesn't want to win the FA Cup or disrespects the competition the Carabao Cup or FA Cup.' No, no, no, no, no. It is the opposite."

#24 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 05 January 2019 - 21:52

He's been pinning his flag to the mast these past 2 weeks. Stating he believed he is achieving more than Simeone and he and the club were being hated on because no club was doing what we were in world football.

#25 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 22:04

View Postaramak, on 05 January 2019 - 21:52, said:

He's been pinning his flag to the mast these past 2 weeks. Stating he believed he is achieving more than Simeone and he and the club were being hated on because no club was doing what we were in world football.

Problem is, as was the case last season, when we fall short and the fanbase gets narky, he starts to shift the blame onto the lack of financial backing. He's openly said a few times that the fans shouldn't get so narky, but we all know they will and this for me is the biggest concern, it'll be what pushes him out the door to one of the big boys.

Is he right ? Should we, as a whole, temper our frustrations when we don't play well.

#26 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 05 January 2019 - 23:43

View PostYidio Yidio, on 05 January 2019 - 22:04, said:

Is he right ? Should we, as a whole, temper our frustrations when we don't play well.

He does like feeling sorry for himself when it goes wrong and uses the same words to praise himself when things are right. I genuinely think he's not mad on loads of signings and if Levy backs him with a couple of ones he really wants he'll stay but the deals would have to be done quicker than Levy's usual pace for him to stay.

#27 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:52

Personally i am dreading the end of the season ! thats when it all starts up.

One positive is that the fabulous new stadium will be up and running! But then for spurs fans the wait is on to see if pochettino buys into the future of the club or goes and takes eriksen & alderweireld with him to you know where.

Of course it does also depend on whether olly soljskaer does so well at man utd that its impossible not to give him the job.

I honestly think this years tv rights and cl dosh is once again destined to disappear into a deep abyss of debt.

#28 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:11

View Postaramak, on 05 January 2019 - 23:43, said:

He does like feeling sorry for himself when it goes wrong and uses the same words to praise himself when things are right. I genuinely think he's not mad on loads of signings and if Levy backs him with a couple of ones he really wants he'll stay but the deals would have to be done quicker than Levy's usual pace for him to stay.

Aramak ! if reports are correct (and you know as well as i do that sometimes its fake or just rubbish) then no signings are imminent.

Donna Marie Cullen (spurs executive director) hinted last july that the club would rarely go down the big buying route again because of past expensive failures that have to be shipped out at huge losses.

Its not the ideal scenario for spurs fans because buying in new blood before each new season starts is sort of full of new expectations.

For me purchasing one proven player per summer window would be ideal but it looks doubtful even that will happen.

Having done a small amount of coaching with local youth back in the 1990s i do know that a lot of lads will only go to a club they know they will get a fair chance of showing what they can do.

If that is to be one of spurs main recruiting policies then i think with that reputation it will certainly attract more youth players to the academy ! it can only be good for the club.

We have seen how it works at southampton ! unfortunately for them they fail to hang onto a lot of their talented youth products ! we are a different animal in that respect though.

#29 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:38

"I hope, or I wish maybe, to be here 20 years and [then] decide to leave or to finish my career here."

He went on to talk about Wenger being at Arsenal so long and how he got them in the new stadium and competitive again after.

"I donít know because I need to ask him if I have one day the possibility if he is so happy in the way that he finished. I donít believe. What I saw from my point of view, it was so unfair how the people treated him and talked. But weíll see."

Seems Yidio is right. The thing that'll keep Poch here is the fans not turning on him. Unfortunately I've seen calls for him to go almost every time we lose a match so little chance of him staying loyal if he keeps his ear to the ground.

#30 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:04

View Posttomtom, on 07 January 2019 - 23:38, said:

"I hope, or I wish maybe, to be here 20 years and [then] decide to leave or to finish my career here."

He went on to talk about Wenger being at Arsenal so long and how he got them in the new stadium and competitive again after.

"I don’t know because I need to ask him if I have one day the possibility if he is so happy in the way that he finished. I don’t believe. What I saw from my point of view, it was so unfair how the people treated him and talked. But we’ll see."

Seems Yidio is right. The thing that'll keep Poch here is the fans not turning on him. Unfortunately I've seen calls for him to go almost every time we lose a match so little chance of him staying loyal if he keeps his ear to the ground.

Yes just saw that on bbc transfer gossip and thats good news.

I think the first 12-24 hours after a bad result fans are at their most peed off and speak from that disappointment.

I dont think anyone in their right mind would want poch gone after what he has achieved especially in the knowledge that we cannot compete with other top 6 prem club in the transfer market these days.

#31 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:32

https://www.skysport...-with-tottenham

#32 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:18

Just a thought that poch coming out just before the chelsea cup tie and saying he wants to end his career at spurs ? ====is very timely and must be a massive boost for the players before the game. LOL

A bit like before the meaningful vote ? we are getting all the negatives and doom and gloom of a no deal brexit just before the actual vote.

#33 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:39

View Posttomtom, on 07 January 2019 - 23:38, said:

Absolute madness when people start calling for his head. I think it's ok to call out things that went wrong or areas the team/manager/club can improve and these things get more attention after a loss but overall we should be so happy. I would like to think the majority of fans show this to him and he gets his name sung at every single match.

In my opinion what will convince him to leave eventually is if he isn't as successful as he wants to be here. He claims trophies are not important but I'm sure he would love to start winning some (soon!).

#34 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:58

He didn't say they're not important, just that we're ahead of schedule to be competing for them so he objects to being told we must win them or he's not successful. He's basically outed that Levy didn't require him to win trophies, or even qualify for CL initially, as part of his initial contract with us. Overall Poch is asking how can we be punching above our weight and be considered unsuccessful.

I'd been told this before and have posted on here but Poch confirmed in this interview Levy had an overall plan when Poch joined for us to qualify for the CL once in the new stadium. After which more funds would become available in the next few seasons for us to try and start challenging for the major honours. Levy was happy for us to tread water while the stadium was being built and instead Poch has been breaking records points and best finish records and making us competitive.

#35 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:52

When Poch signed my hope was that he'd be given all the time possible, I was sick of the managerial merry-go-round. I've always said the acid test will be when he takes a backwards step with the team and how the fans react.

If I'm honest, I don't see anything other than many ramping up pressure and expectation. We are expecting to get past Chelski are we not ???

#36 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:16

View PostYidio Yidio, on 08 January 2019 - 11:52, said:

When Poch signed my hope was that he'd be given all the time possible, I was sick of the managerial merry-go-round. I've always said the acid test will be when he takes a backwards step with the team and how the fans react.

If I'm honest, I don't see anything other than many ramping up pressure and expectation. We are expecting to get past Chelski are we not ???

Pochettino never fails to amaze me ! he is so very near to being the real deal you just think the most subtle change in the right direction and his teams will murder others in the prem.

Lets not fear chelsea tonight ! lets just play our game and let them do the worrying.

#37 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:28

View PostYidio Yidio, on 08 January 2019 - 11:52, said:

I get our model and what it is about but the media don't seem to get our model and read into any thing Poch says into a negative comment and putting pressure on our club because they see it as a small club that has no place mixing it with the richier clubs. I just think they find it embarrassing because they lord clubs that splash the cash it is almost like they are the prawn sandwich brigade. P.Neville is part of that when he said our team is not good enough to win the title because we lack a garath bale type of player and that they are just a well coached team . I enjoyed reading what Stan collymore had to say about the media as snobbish, he said the media has already decided that Poch is leaving the club and they have already decided who our manager should be before our board has already made a decision and that is Eddie Howe, Stan collymore also said he likes Eddie Howe but he does not believe Eddie Howe is the right manager to take our club forward and he has seen things in his bouremouth side that shows he is not the right man, He use this sarcastic term as Eddie howe is not good enough for Man utd but he is good enough for Tottenham.

The only thing that worries me is we have the best tottenham at this moment in premier league history and next season it could go down hill if our manager leaves, Toby and Eriksen leaving and players like kane and Alli thinking it is the right time to leave because it is down hill from now on in. Football is a funny sport because you think your team has a bright future and in a year it could be taken away from you because we don't have the financial power to bat away the super clubs. If Poch left what top manager is going to go to our club without real money to spend.

#38 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 14:13

Yep, to many earn a living out of the sport for them to endorse the frugal approach. We can't afford to buy top talent, let alone attract any. So we unearth talent and let it grow, but, we've been slowly getting better at keeping it.

It's not rocket science, but the reason we are where we are is because we've resisted the urge to pay for success when all around throw temptation into our faces. Just one player will push us onto the greatness we all desire or even just give us that edge to win a trophy. Go on, try it.

That's how you end up on the game with a meth habit. :niceone:

#39 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 January 2019 - 15:18

View PostYidio Yidio, on 08 January 2019 - 14:13, said:

Yep, to many earn a living out of the sport for them to endorse the frugal approach. We can't afford to buy top talent, let alone attract any. So we unearth talent and let it grow, but, we've been slowly getting better at keeping it.

It's not rocket science, but the reason we are where we are is because we've resisted the urge to pay for success when all around throw temptation into our faces. Just one player will push us onto the greatness we all desire or even just give us that edge to win a trophy. Go on, try it.

That's how you end up on the game with a meth habit. :niceone:

Maybe in the future once the money kicks in and we can afford to mix it with Liverpool and Arsenal with they sort of income coming in but at the moment we have to sell before we buy to bring very good players.

#40 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:08

Loved a quote from him today in which he said you can't be given £300mill and say your building, you have to give trophies and it's not all about money. At the same time you sense the Wenger situation troubled because he saw it from the other side and the way the fans turned.

That's his big fear.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users