Planet Spurs Forums: How could levy keep poch at spurs ? - Planet Spurs Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How could levy keep poch at spurs ? If he is tempted by the man utd job. Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:32

View Postaramak, on 08 January 2019 - 17:08, said:

Loved a quote from him today in which he said you can't be given £300mill and say your building, you have to give trophies and it's not all about money. At the same time you sense the Wenger situation troubled because he saw it from the other side and the way the fans turned.

That's his big fear.

Do you remember me saying that sometimes I think Levy saves Poch from himself ? I still think that :niceone:

#42 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 08 January 2019 - 21:22

View PostYidio Yidio, on 08 January 2019 - 17:32, said:

Do you remember me saying that sometimes I think Levy saves Poch from himself ? I still think that :niceone:

Think your right

#43 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:18

Ole solskjaer,s man utd lost last night for the first time since he took over.

Just wondering if the new boss good results syndrome has now burst its bubble and the rumours regarding poch will resurface?

#44 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:54

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 13 February 2019 - 07:18, said:

Ole solskjaer,s man utd lost last night for the first time since he took over.

Just wondering if the new boss good results syndrome has now burst its bubble and the rumours regarding poch will resurface?

Poch is never off their radar. OGS is just the figurehead, the real,quality being provided by the return of Mike Phelan ,who lost his job when Moyes replaced Fergie.

#45 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:21

Theres no point in driving yourself crazy and looking at Man U's results to see if Poch links will resurface. Have some faith that Poch wants to stay and win something with us. He has said many times about 'the project' and about how fans doubt him. I for one do not see him going whether Man U do well or not. He didn't cause a fuss when he was linked with Madrid last year, in fact he signed a 5 year deal instead. You could argue that for someone growing up in Argentina, Real Madrid is a much bigger deal than Man U.

#46 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:49

View PostChrisPienaar, on 13 February 2019 - 11:21, said:

Theres no point in driving yourself crazy and looking at Man U's results to see if Poch links will resurface. Have some faith that Poch wants to stay and win something with us. He has said many times about 'the project' and about how fans doubt him. I for one do not see him going whether Man U do well or not. He didn't cause a fuss when he was linked with Madrid last year, in fact he signed a 5 year deal instead. You could argue that for someone growing up in Argentina, Real Madrid is a much bigger deal than Man U.

No honestly i dont lose sleep over it ! :lmao: que sera sera! :lol:

#47 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:21

You're right, and if he no longer believes in the project, then we need someone who does.

#48 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2019 - 18:20

I think the question to the thread may be more complex than people think. Firstly you have to look at the chairman's ambitions. Clearly the only interest Levy has is in making money. Winning a domestic trophy doesn't bring in much revenue, so it's fair to say that isn't a priority. Winning the prem would give the club world focus and bring in loads of money, but let's be honest, that isn't the cards. Finally, the champions league. Despite what the most optimistic amongst may say, it's a comp we can't possibly win.

The next question is therefore what the manager wants, and my simple is what the chairman wants. I honestly don't believe Poch gives a toss about domestic trophies, and therefore wants to chase the financial dreams of Levy. Unfortunately these dreams are not conceivable without serious financial outlay, and that's the sticking point. At some point (and I suspect the summer) Poch will request or expect some investment, and Levy won't be forthcoming. Enough said

#49 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 February 2019 - 00:03

View Postold spur, on 13 February 2019 - 18:20, said:

I think the question to the thread may be more complex than people think. Firstly you have to look at the chairman's ambitions. Clearly the only interest Levy has is in making money. Winning a domestic trophy doesn't bring in much revenue, so it's fair to say that isn't a priority. Winning the prem would give the club world focus and bring in loads of money, but let's be honest, that isn't the cards. Finally, the champions league. Despite what the most optimistic amongst may say, it's a comp we can't possibly win.

The next question is therefore what the manager wants, and my simple is what the chairman wants. I honestly don't believe Poch gives a toss about domestic trophies, and therefore wants to chase the financial dreams of Levy. Unfortunately these dreams are not conceivable without serious financial outlay, and that's the sticking point. At some point (and I suspect the summer) Poch will request or expect some investment, and Levy won't be forthcoming. Enough said

He knows the financial restraints of the job, he mentions them enough. If Poch decides it's time to move to one of the money clubs it won't have mattered what Levy does or did. We're a very long way off ever having the cash of United or Madrid.

You need to look beyond your hatred of Levy, it's blinding you.

#50 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:56

I know its hard to accept that transfer activity will be minimal but thats the reality of it.

Our last active window (2017) was actually very good even though we left it late, sanchez,aurier,foyth & Llorente.

Then we snapped up a bargain in moura.

Windows before we were just pissing money into the wind .

For eg ) 2016. Wanyama,Sissoko,N.koudou,Janssen. = Wanyama was initially a hit before injury, sissy has taken 2 seasons to get going, the other 2 were failures.

Transfer policy seemed to have changed after the 2016 summer window.

I reckon we are 4-5 years away from doing the big money spend and personally i like it the way it is but as i have said before i would like to see one proven player bought per season ! but they are all gambles really.

I know what is disappointing for some when we dont buy in the summer close season ! a new influx of players each year gives new hope & expectation.

The postives of not chopping and changing the team around is that the current squad all get to know each others game and i am sure that is one of the reasons why we are having quite a good season even with injuries to key players.

#51 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:14

I'm 100% sure that going against the grain and not altering the squad has worked in our favour. The problem is this. There will always be another step to take, and spending is the only feasible answer for many.

The world is changing, the excess we have become acustom to is slowing down amid global recession. Belts are getting tightened.

#52 User is offline   Terry 

• Trialist
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2019 - 18:42

The whole point is that 'the project' at Spurs may be how to get by on the least possible expenditure. If that is the case then we do not require/deserve a manager of Pochettino's capability. Why would he stay under those circumstances, however I think Man Utd. would be a disaster for him. There are two 'poison chalice' manager's jobs at Chelsea and Man Utd. The bloody arrogance of players like Hazard and Alonso at Chelsea have made that job impossible since Mourinho's first stint. With Man Utd. no one can measure up to Ferguson and I think Poch should only go for the Real Madrid job.

The Spurs ownership have to decide if they are going to spend a substantial amount in the Transfer Market, or indeed if they actually can afford to. Arsenal suffered for years after their move to the Emirates, and it cannot have got any easier. If they do not bolster the squad then in my view they should sell a number of players, buying cheaper and suffer the consequences until such time as they can afford to compete.

My own personal view is that Spurs have lost a number of games that they should have drawn or won, and generally have not played well for most of the season. It is only the mediocrity of Man Utd. (under Mourinho), Arsenal and Chelsea that has allowed us to be so high.

#53 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 March 2019 - 18:58

More I think about it the more I actually think United would be a better job than Madrid. I used to think the opposite.

United are richest club in the world and actually have some very good young talented players in Pogba, Martial, Rashford & etc.

Real Madrid aren't the financial giants they once were. They've shown that by failing to sign any Galacticos for a while. I suppose Courtois was a big signing in a way, but before that their last major acquisition that was considered world class was James Rodriguez 5 years ago. They wanted M'Bappe, Neymar and Hazard for last 2-3 seasons and failed to sign any of them so far. They even sold Ronaldo and haven't really replaced him.

You go to Madrid and fail to win the league or CL you're likely to get the boot... whereas United have been miles away from that since Fergie left so they'd appreciate progress. Yes if Poch spent 200M there would be pressure to win, but I think the building blocks are there to be great again - I hope whoever gets the job really f***s it up.

Either way, I'd like to think Poch feels too much of an affinity for Spurs and his players to jump ship this summer but his latest comments are a bit worrying.

#54 User is offline   hotsauce 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 01 March 2019 - 22:11

Real Madrid go against everything poch stands for as a manager, he would have to roll in there and win everything straight away all this while getting rid of what he hates the most,,egos,,for what poch does he needs to be at a club that has been starved off success were the fans and board will be patient,, we are perfect for him and he knows it imo levy just needs to give him what he wants and let him feel he has what ever he needs

#55 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:03

View PostTerry, on 01 March 2019 - 18:42, said:

The whole point is that 'the project' at Spurs may be how to get by on the least possible expenditure. If that is the case then we do not require/deserve a manager of Pochettino's capability. Why would he stay under those circumstances, however I think Man Utd. would be a disaster for him. There are two 'poison chalice' manager's jobs at Chelsea and Man Utd. The bloody arrogance of players like Hazard and Alonso at Chelsea have made that job impossible since Mourinho's first stint. With Man Utd. no one can measure up to Ferguson and I think Poch should only go for the Real Madrid job.

The Spurs ownership have to decide if they are going to spend a substantial amount in the Transfer Market, or indeed if they actually can afford to. Arsenal suffered for years after their move to the Emirates, and it cannot have got any easier. If they do not bolster the squad then in my view they should sell a number of players, buying cheaper and suffer the consequences until such time as they can afford to compete.

My own personal view is that Spurs have lost a number of games that they should have drawn or won, and generally have not played well for most of the season. It is only the mediocrity of Man Utd. (under Mourinho), Arsenal and Chelsea that has allowed us to be so high.

As you have said and i have said many times on here ! it has taken arsenal years to recover from their new stadium so why should we be any different but still each transfer window some on here are pissed off with the lack of no new signings.
I dont know about the mediocrity of pass top 4 teams because there is always some other team there to take their place and still make the prem a hard place to compete in.

Saying that (mediocrity of man utd,etc) sort of denigrates what poch has done at spurs and degrades the definite improvement and progress under his tutelage.

I am not too bothered by not shelling out vast sums on over priced overseas players ! but i am a bit worried that the scouting team arent finding much out there as they used to ! we dont seem to be finding the kyle walkers or danny roses anymore.

#56 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:05

In the news today Poch states that he has an outstanding memory and can remember every conversation he has had with Levy over five years.Not difficult really..

Sept 1st 2014.......Poch: “Daniel,can I spend some money.” Levy: “No”

Dec 1st 2014.......Poch: Daniel,can I spend some money.” Levy: “No”

I’ll go no further.

#57 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:43

OGS nailed on for United job according to everyone. They've even used him to front the campaign for their season ticket renewals, be embarrassing if he wasn't there now. He's also been discussing transfers for next season with the board.

Madrid going out to Ajax opens up that whole possibility again though... Hope Poch realises that's a poisoned chalice.

#58 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:07

[quote name='tomtom' timestamp='1551840238' post='388209']
OGS nailed on for United job according to everyone. They've even used him to front the campaign for their season ticket renewals, be embarrassing if he wasn't there now. He's also been discussing transfers for next season with the board.

**********************************************************************************

Yep ! i expect results will change once ole gunnar signs a contract. :grinny:
***********************************************************************************

Madrid going out to Ajax opens up that whole possibility again though... Hope Poch realises that's a poisoned chalice.

***********************************************************************************
Thats the worry tom tom and the first thing i thought when i saw they were smashed by ajax.
My instincts tell me poch will stay for the 2019/20 season with the new stadium well under way by then.
After that who knows ?
Will he stay a (nearly) manager when player investment is quite clearly preventing spurs doing something special?
*******************************************************************************************

#59 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2019 - 22:02

I don't see how Ole doesn't get the job now. There would be riots if they let him go!

#60 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2019 - 22:44

View Posttomtom, on 06 March 2019 - 22:02, said:

I don't see how Ole doesn't get the job now. There would be riots if they let him go!

Yep , safe to say I don't think we have to worry about poch to Utd for a while.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users