• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spurs vs wolves

#41 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 29 December 2018 - 18:32

Most important thing is to bounce straight back on Tuesday and beat Cardiff away which is a VERY TRICKY game. City lost to palace and then leciester so these things happen, we need to make sure we donít do the same and drop points twice

#42 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2018 - 18:36

View PostParklaner, on 29 December 2018 - 18:25, said:

Of course not but if you dream to be title contenders in December then donít be surprised if it ends up as nightmares

We were 5th 4 weeks ago which shows how close & how quick things can change ! & performances like today show itís exactly that ďa dreamĒ

I have never known you to be so down, even when results don't go our way you always see the positive in something , It also does not help when a lot of talk is about losing top players and manager, the title helped put away all that negative energy but today brought it back up.

#43 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2018 - 19:17

View PostSpurs scout, on 29 December 2018 - 18:36, said:

I have never known you to be so down, even when results don't go our way you always see the positive in something , It also does not help when a lot of talk is about losing top players and manager, the title helped put away all that negative energy but today brought it back up.

Iím content overall mate but also frustrated with today we had a real spring in our step but yet again the bubble was burst & now need to start building momentum all over again
We also have a lot hanging over us currently

Iím sick to death of Wembley we need to get home the place is turning me right off going especially with the attendance being down the atmosphere being s***e the pitch being Sunday league
Also media drumming up poch to utd
Eriksen/toby contracts
Etc etc

Just canít wait to go home to WHL & start feeling settled as a club

#44 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 December 2018 - 19:53

Being at the match and watchig it live, the following has become very clear:

- Davies is a big weak link, he offers very little going forward and is average defensively.

- Trippier (who ive defended before) is also a big weak link defensively. KWP has made enough of a statement to be ahead of him at the moment.

- we desperately need quality in midfield, sissoko and winks have good games and bad games but at the moment we have nothing else so they are getting away with average performances at times. Dier wont give us what we need when hes back and wanyama and dembele are essentially retired

- Pochettino has still not learned from past mistakes. where are the subs??? we were crying out for rose since we scored. The team was flat and his lucas sub made no difference. Only one substitution in a match we have lost 3-1 is unnaceptable.

Those are the negatives. The positive of course is that we are at the right end of the table and there is a lot of time left in the season.

We need to add one or two players this window. Otherwise it will be another wasted opportunity at doing something special

#45 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 29 December 2018 - 20:17

View PostChrisPienaar, on 29 December 2018 - 19:53, said:

- Davies is a big weak link, he offers very little going forward and is average defensively.

- Trippier (who ive defended before) is also a big weak link defensively. KWP has made enough of a statement to be ahead of him at the moment.

- we desperately need quality in midfield, sissoko and winks have good games and bad games but at the moment we have nothing else so they are getting away with average performances at times. Dier wont give us what we need when hes back and wanyama and dembele are essentially retired

- Pochettino has still not learned from past mistakes. where are the subs??? we were crying out for rose since we scored. The team was flat and his lucas sub made no difference. Only one substitution in a match we have lost 3-1 is unnaceptable.

Those are the negatives. The positive of course is that we are at the right end of the table and there is a lot of time left in the season.

We need to add one or two players this window. Otherwise it will be another wasted opportunity at doing something special

How bad was tripps passing today. Jeez

#46 User is offline   Silver 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2018 - 23:37

Just when I thougth we are the most in-form team in the league and we're going to put pressure on Liverpool with the win we do this. Gutted. This seem to be story of our last few seasons.

We're now 9 points behind and it would take a miracle to get back into the title race. City win vs Liverpool and us winning at Anfield and Etihad is a must and it seems very unlikely that all 3 will happen.

Onwards and upwards! Let's score plenty past Cardiff and get our moods back asap. It's good that next game comes quickly after diasppointing afternoon.

#47 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2018 - 00:19

We have this in our locker unfortunately. Another really bad 45 mins in a second half losing it 3 nil. It happened at the Emirates recently. Top top teams, title winning teams, do not lose many games from winning positions. We've managed it twuce in December!

I'm not knocking the boys though. They are tired. We are still in a mini league with Chavs and Gooners for top 4 rather than a title race with City and Liverpool. Let's put this behind us and go and beat Cardiff after hopefully cruising past Tranmere in FAC3.

#48 User is online   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:58

View PostChrisPienaar, on 29 December 2018 - 19:53, said:

Just seen extended highlights of the game and i thought our wonderful goalkeeper had another duff game.

The first 2 goals were definitely savable ? the 2nd was so soft my dead grandmother could have saved it.

Dont think he had much chance with the 3rd.

Terrible result with cardiff coming up next and on a survival mission and then man utd who are doing it for olly soljskaer.

I have never accepted what we gave for davies ? swansea got a massive result plus gylfi sigurdsson in that deal.

Shame we still dont have siggy.

Both davies and trips have only ever been 2nd choice left and right backs ! and you have just summed them both up correctly chris.

We need verts and dier back asap! i think they are due back 13th jan.

Lamela,s latest injury couldnt have come at a worse time with no return date.
I understand dembele is back in training ?

#49 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:03

Suppose the only way to describe it , Typical Tottenham.

A loss or a draw away , or even a draw at home , can be put down to a bad day, but losing 1-3 at home to a non top 6 side is pathetic . Not only that , the way in which it was done aswell . Kane had 0 touches in their box apparently . So that shows our lack of creativity in this game . I thought we might have trouble with wolves .

I watched some highlights on you tube . Looks like sissoko has gone back to forgetting how to be a footballer again . Honestly , Jesus Christ !! Some of his passing and touches to were equal to a half pissed up Sunday league pub player . Appawling .

A midfield of sissoko and winks is not good enough , it really isnít . Backed up by trippier and Davies , ?

Anyway we have had a good little run since the arsenal game . But it shows that a result and a performance like this is always on the cards within 4-5 games . Thatís why there will be no challenge for any title . We can put that to bed right now .

We have a massive semi final coming up soon against Chelsea . This is what is achievable , a domestic trophy . It might not be everyoneís cup of tea , but if you want title challenges , youíve got to put the work in , and learn how to win trophies first . It starts with this

#50 User is online   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:58

View Poststokesie, on 30 December 2018 - 07:03, said:

A loss or a draw away , or even a draw at home , can be put down to a bad day, but losing 1-3 at home to a non top 6 side is pathetic . Not only that , the way in which it was done aswell . Kane had 0 touches in their box apparently . So that shows our lack of creativity in this game . I thought we might have trouble with wolves .

I watched some highlights on you tube . Looks like sissoko has gone back to forgetting how to be a footballer again . Honestly , Jesus Christ !! Some of his passing and touches to were equal to a half pissed up Sunday league pub player . Appawling .

A midfield of sissoko and winks is not good enough , it really isn’t . Backed up by trippier and Davies , ?

Anyway we have had a good little run since the arsenal game . But it shows that a result and a performance like this is always on the cards within 4-5 games . That’s why there will be no challenge for any title . We can put that to bed right now .

We have a massive semi final coming up soon against Chelsea . This is what is achievable , a domestic trophy . It might not be everyone’s cup of tea , but if you want title challenges , you’ve got to put the work in , and learn how to win trophies first . It starts with this

Yes i think the aim should be a trophy and top 4 finish to remain in the cl (even if only for the money)

I saw the you tube highlights and thought from what i saw that wolves defended well in numbers and did a good job on kane and son, giving them fck all space. (dont forget they were playing a side that had scored 11 goals in their last 2 games) they would have had a defensive game plan to prevent spurs scoring and to hopefully do us on the break)

Having said that 2 of wolves goals were soft: a better goalie would have saved them easily... and the 3rd was caused through us pressing for the equaliser.

Personally i dont think its a bad as it looks but Lloris needs dropping and gazzaniga given a chance ! but little chance of that happening.

As i said we need verts,dier,dembele back.
Dont know why rose didnt play ?
Dont know what the situation is with wanyama but he was good in his first season for us.
Aurier i understand is nearing a return.

Shame lamela will be missing for an unspecified time with his latest injury (calf).

#51 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:52

I've been to wembley quite a few times since its been home and I echo parklaners concerns.
I have no issue with who attends but it is beginning to feel more like a tourist attraction than our home.

The players were garbage yesterday in the second half , and I will give them credit for having a go but the fans can play a big part in an on going game , act as a twelfth man lift the players.
That's not happening at Wembley and I'm not saying the result would have been different if we were at the lane but the energy from the crowd at the lane would be 10 times it was at Wembley yesterday.

#52 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:55

View Poststokesie, on 30 December 2018 - 07:03, said:

A midfield of sissoko and winks is not good enough , it really isn’t . Backed up by trippier and Davies , ?

Anyway we have had a good little run since the arsenal game . But it shows that a result and a performance like this is always on the cards within 4-5 games . That’s why there will be no challenge for any title . We can put that to bed right now .

We have a massive semi final coming up soon against Chelsea . This is what is achievable , a domestic trophy . It might not be everyone’s cup of tea , but if you want title challenges , you’ve got to put the work in , and learn how to win trophies first . It starts with this

When we was on this long run qualifying for the round of sixteen in the champions league, moving up to second in the table and hammering useful teams like Everton and Bournemouth, everyone praising winks and Sissoko, I did not hear anyone moan about them then. As soon as we lose a game when we all know the squad is thin with a lot of our first , second and third choice midfielders out oh Sissoko is rubbish , Winks is rubbish blah blah blah blah.

Sissoko and winks has played in every competition from November to December , and playing two games in four days. They was bound to be a drop off, we just ran out of steam especially in the second half and Wolves took advantage of that. Poch admitted in his press conference that he was worried because he could see the team eventually run out of steam but did not have the options available to stop it.

Stokesie I notice you moan when Poch rotates and you moan when they run out of steam.

The things that worried me yesterday was how easy we surrendered when our team ran of steam, I did not see our two most experience players in Toby and Lloris shout and point. I just think we don't have the right mentality in the squad to win things and that is the reason why Poch thinks he has taken this club as far as it can.When your team has players who can not handle pressure what are we going to win?

#53 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:57

We cannot continue with so many unreliable players:

dembele - always injured
wanyama - always injured
lamela - injured often

add to those three the fact that we always pick up a few injuries from different players. Especially this season we have been two central midfielders down and one of our big problens has been lack of creativity at times. How do we score 6 vs everton, 5 vs bournemouth and 1 vs wolves. We need more options as too many times we are blaming tiredness, too many matches, lack of energy.

#54 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:38

Most squads are having injuries. The difference is we did not strengthen in the summer. It was foolish. But a good point mentioned is that we have too many players that seem to be constantly injured - Lamela, Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Rose, Vertonghen. That puts a massive strain on the fit players who cannot be rested.

Winks and Sissoko have done really well lately so it seems harsh to turn on them after 1 poor game. They have been over used.

Expectations have run out of control lately. The aim this season was top 4, to get out of that toilet Wembley, and to win FA cup or league cup. To even have been in the conversation about PL title and to come out of a CL group with heavyweights Barca and Inter is creditable. We shall see whether the Wolves result was a blip or something more sinister after the Cardiff match. All stay positive please.

#55 User is online   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:49

I think we should draw a line under this game and accept it for what it was and get back on route : not to winning a title but to remain in cl contention with a top 4 finish.

You can knock all the players who are constantly injured but it will be hard to get rid of sick notes.

I would like to see verts back and dier ! dier because he is a player who breaks up oppositiom moves ! and verts because he is cool under pressure.

Personally i am not 100 % keen on trips and davies because they lack pace......! aurier and rose have speed to burn as wing backs.

KWP isnt the finished player yet.

Lloris seems to split this board like brexit is dividing the country ! you either like him or you dont ? for me his mistakes creep in at the most inopportune moments........! would like to see gazzaniga played a bit more.

Finally rotation ! use trips and davies for cup games and rose and aurier for the prem and cl.

Not knocking sissoko or winks but we could do better in midfield.

#56 User is offline   Notimelikethepresent 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:09

The most frustrating thing about yesterday is not that we lost but the fact it raises this whole Spursy thing once more.

It's an unfair tag but one which will stick until we overcome whatever it is.

But either way you look at it we get a slap in the face.

Lose to a big 6 side and we are not good enough. Lose unexpectedly and that's what Spurs do.

Of course buying players alone does not change that and nor does simply saying the players were knackered explain it.

There is maybe something about us as a club, or maybe that we have just been very unlucky in that it looks like for the 4th successive season there is an outstanding team.

For me however this season needs a† Cup win. We need to taste glory.

If we don't I am not sure. I really am not sure.

#57 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:29

When asked by the press why he didnít bring Skipp on ...Poch replies that he couldnít because they were ready to bring him on but Wolves scores just before the change was to be made. What b loody nonsense. He could still have come on. One sub only....pathetic.

I also noticed that Nkoudou was,on the bench. What was the point in that? Heís not considered good enough, no longer used, no longer wanted. Why not put someone like Georgiou on the bench instead. After all Poch likes to promote youth.
Iím fed up,with the full back rotation as well. Canít see why either Rose or Walker-Peters needed to be spelled yesterday.

#58 User is online   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:21

View Postgriff, on 30 December 2018 - 10:29, said:

When asked by the press why he didn’t bring Skipp on ...Poch replies that he couldn’t because they were ready to bring him on but Wolves scores just before the change was to be made. What b loody nonsense. He could still have come on. One sub only....pathetic.

I also noticed that Nkoudou was,on the bench. What was the point in that? He’s not considered good enough, no longer used, no longer wanted. Why not put someone like Georgiou on the bench instead. After all Poch likes to promote youth.
I’m fed up,with the full back rotation as well. Can’t see why either Rose or Walker-Peters needed to be spelled yesterday.

That's the thing that annoys me about Poch, you could see trouble happening and Poch reacts too late. In poch's system the fullbacks do both jobs, they play as wingers and as defenders which means they spend the game using more energy than anyone else and to get the best out of the fullbacks they need to be sharp to play poch's way that is why he rotates. The fullbacks spend time going up and down.

#59 User is online   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:35

Absolutely devastated.

Sanchez and Sissoko embaressing at that corner. That was possibly Toby’s worst half of football in a Spurs shirt.

Ive been far more comfortable with Gazzaniga than Lloris recently. And he still has a 100% win record with us.

Trippier is full of assists this calendar year but who cares? He’s an absolute liability defensively.

Davies offers nothing going forward and very little the other way.

1 loss from 10 between Burnley and the next 10 games wouldn’t be so bad, UTD is a must win now.

I f***ing hate Liverpool, so I’m gutted today. None of this is to say we haven’t been a delight this season, getting into 4-5th gear in the last month. I just don’t think City and Pool are all that. We shouldn’t be 9 points behind them.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#60 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:54

Letís not blame yesterday on scapegoat sissoko heís been excellent & a huge part of our good form & wasnít our worst player yesterday at all !

In fact eriksen was dreadful yesterday & inherited sissoko of last seasons first touch syndrome !

We hit a brick wall fatigue wise second half thatís true we looked tired but werenít clever or composed enough to see it through & went to pieces but I just find it hard to believe that when weíre expected to maintain form & everyoneís eyes are on us we always seem to put in a performance of this kind ? That canít just be blamed on tiredness

Most important thing now is to bounce back & we normally do

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users