• You cannot reply to this topic

Spurs vs wolves

#61 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:17

View Postgriff, on 30 December 2018 - 10:29, said:

When asked by the press why he didnít bring Skipp on ...Poch replies that he couldnít because they were ready to bring him on but Wolves scores just before the change was to be made. What b loody nonsense. He could still have come on. One sub only....pathetic.

I also noticed that Nkoudou was,on the bench. What was the point in that? Heís not considered good enough, no longer used, no longer wanted. Why not put someone like Georgiou on the bench instead. After all Poch likes to promote youth.
Iím fed up,with the full back rotation as well. Canít see why either Rose or Walker-Peters needed to be spelled yesterday.

When he told skipp not to come on I thought right, different sub then, maybe rose to inject some pace Maybe even nkoudou who found himself on the bench. Instead he did no subs for the remainder of the game. Not at 1-1, not at 1-2, too late at 1-3.

I just dont understand Poch at times, how does he only make one sub and then blame a lack of energy. Is he doing it on purpose so Levy spends money? or is he just really stubborn and refuses to accept his tactics arent working. We really struggle to change games, either we start the game well and win it or we start the game poorly and it sets the tone for the match.

#62 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:26

View PostChrisPienaar, on 30 December 2018 - 12:17, said:

When he told skipp not to come on I thought right, different sub then, maybe rose to inject some pace Maybe even nkoudou who found himself on the bench. Instead he did no subs for the remainder of the game. Not at 1-1, not at 1-2, too late at 1-3.

I just dont understand Poch at times, how does he only make one sub and then blame a lack of energy. Is he doing it on purpose so Levy spends money? or is he just really stubborn and refuses to accept his tactics arent working. We really struggle to change games, either we start the game well and win it or we start the game poorly and it sets the tone for the match.

Its called tactical nous and unfortunately poch doesnt have much of it in abundance.

But he is basically a very good coach.

He needs an assistant with him to guide him in this area of football.........! but he really doesnt have game changers on the bench.

Thats where the summer failure to sign anyone let the whole team down.

Anyway its one game we have lost in how many ? toughies coming up so lets get behind the tem.

#63 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:50

He did bring on a sub, he brought Moura but the real problem was in midfield, sissoko and Winks legs had gone. We are just unlucky with injuries, to have three of your midfield screeners injured is down to a hectic schedule and bad luck with injuries. He could of brought off Trippier, when Trippier feels under pressure he does a bottle job.

#64 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:50

View PostParklaner, on 30 December 2018 - 11:54, said:

Letís not blame yesterday on scapegoat sissoko heís been excellent & a huge part of our good form & wasnít our worst player yesterday at all !

In fact eriksen was dreadful yesterday & inherited sissoko of last seasons first touch syndrome !

We hit a brick wall fatigue wise second half thatís true we looked tired but werenít clever or composed enough to see it through & went to pieces but I just find it hard to believe that when weíre expected to maintain form & everyoneís eyes are on us we always seem to put in a performance of this kind ? That canít just be blamed on tiredness

Most important thing now is to bounce back & we normally do

Actually Iíve loved Sissoko this season. But himself and Sanchez were at fault for Boly 1-1

Good shout re Eriksen, he was woeful.

I wish we played KWP and Rose
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#65 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:52

A very fair rational gripe about Poch. Subs and tactical alterations is a weakness

#66 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:56

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 30 December 2018 - 12:26, said:

Its called tactical nous and unfortunately poch doesnt have much of it in abundance.

He needs an assistant with him to guide him in this area of

Iíve always felt this is a great idea.

Director of football has always felt like a redundant role, but Director of tactics seems like something that would well round Poches management team.

#67 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 13:16

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 30 December 2018 - 12:56, said:

I’ve always felt this is a great idea.

Director of football has always felt like a redundant role, but Director of tactics seems like something that would well round Poches management team.

I think some of you are going over the top . Without Poch we would not of had a opportunity to be in a title race,He has brought back our team to life by watching our team create memories like beating Real Madrid, Dortmund and achieving moments when people wrote our team off and doing it the spurs attractive fashion .our team play champions league, talked about in a good way we are punching and still having a good season. If we don't win anything it just means our squad is simply not good enough, it is as simple as that. For Poch to do what he is doing with the lack of resources Levy is given him is the reason why Man utd and Real Madrid are so desperate to get him. Some of you are losing yourself and have forgotten what our team was like before Enic took over, it was nothing more than a mid table side drifting and going nowhere. If sugar was still in charge we probable be still at our old stadium, signing old players and probably be in the championship or league
one drifting like Sunderland.

#68 User is offline   Mattaoz87 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2018 - 13:32

Chelsea games are massive now. We need a trophy .... if we go out against the chavs it will be another trophyless season

#69 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 13:56

Troy parrot has been included as a 19th man a couple of times now. Surely hes more useful than nkoudou who must be on his way out??

#70 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 13:57

Another thing that gets right up my nose..Lucas Moura is by trade a right winger. I rarely see him being played in that position. Poch wants his full backs to provide the width etc. Might be old fashioned but Imwould love to see a return to 4-4-2 with a solid back 4, 2 wingers flanking a defensive and box to box midfielder with a centre forward up,front with a nippy little striker alongside him.

#71 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 14:01

View PostSpurs scout, on 30 December 2018 - 13:16, said:

I think some of you are going over the top . Without Poch we would not of had a opportunity to be in a title race,He has brought back our team to life by watching our team create memories like beating Real Madrid, Dortmund and achieving moments when people wrote our team off and doing it the spurs attractive fashion .our team play champions league, talked about in a good way we are punching and still having a good season. If we don't win anything it just means our squad is simply not good enough, it is as simple as that. For Poch to do what he is doing with the lack of resources Levy is given him is the reason why Man utd and Real Madrid are so desperate to get him. Some of you are losing yourself and have forgotten what our team was like before Enic took over, it was nothing more than a mid table side drifting and going nowhere. If sugar was still in charge we probable be still at our old stadium, signing old players and probably be in the championship or league
one drifting like Sunderland.

No need to be defensive, it’s not an attack on poch. But being ignorant of well rounding your weaknesses is a bad type of arrogance.

There’s enough sample evidence to suggest that our success (in terms of success of process rather than end results) Under Poch, have come from improving players, maintaining fitness, and ensuring everyone is giving 100% regardless of their wage demands or contract length.

But there’s also enough sample evidence to suggest he is an amazing coach, but nowhere near an elite tactician.

What’s the point in ignoring that fact when there probably is a nerdy tactical data analyst out there that could give us an edge.

#72 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 14:03

View Postgriff, on 30 December 2018 - 13:57, said:

Another thing that gets right up my nose..Lucas Moura is by trade a right winger. I rarely see him being played in that position. Poch wants his full backs to provide the width etc. Might be old fashioned but Imwould love to see a return to 4-4-2 with a solid back 4, 2 wingers flanking a defensive and box to box midfielder with a centre forward up,front with a nippy little striker alongside him.

Wingers seem to be a thing of the past. He has pace but not sure about his delivery. Its a shame because Kane and Alli would be heading a few in every year.

#73 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 14:36

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 30 December 2018 - 14:01, said:

No need to be defensive, itís not an attack on poch. But being ignorant of well rounding your weaknesses is a bad type of arrogance.

Thereís enough sample evidence to suggest that our success (in terms of success of process rather than end results) Under Poch, have come from improving players, maintaining fitness, and ensuring everyone is giving 100% regardless of their wage demands or contract length.

But thereís also enough sample evidence to suggest he is an amazing coach, but nowhere near an elite tactician.

Whatís the point in ignoring that fact when there probably is a nerdy tactical data analyst out there that could give us an edge.

Totally agree rog but some dont get it and never will.

BTW ! great to see you back.

#74 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 December 2018 - 14:58

Whenever we've had 2-3 fit quality attacking options on the bench Poch has used them well and has changed games with them.

When our squad is ravaged by injuries he doesn't bring on players he doesn't trust for the sake of it. Having a different assistant isn't going to suddenly turn N'Koudou who failed to make an impact at Burnley a better option than Eriksen or Son.

Eriksen was having a s*** game, perhaps he should have been subbed, but how often have we seen him pop up with a late goal to win a game for us? Poch tends to trust his players, this isn't a tactical weakness or we wouldn't be punching above our weight every season. All these supposed tactical genius coaches have lost to the supposedly clueless Poch who is operating with a much smaller squad and budget.

One criticism I do agree with is that Rose should have come on. Davies didn't have the worst game but we needed something extra from deeper yesterday. I know Rose is probably still not 100% but even 30 mins of him doubling up with Sonny on the left would have given them something to worry about.

#75 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 15:00

Its his in game tactics that are a worry because its not like he always gets it wrong, not at all. Look at the Chelsea match, he got it spot on.
Its about what he does when its not working, where are plans B, C, D, etc.

His only moves cant be bring on lucas or bring on llorente and for similar positions at that. I might be wrong buy had Poch ever made a sub at half time that wasn't down to injury?

I don't think anyone wants to criticise him too much because he has been a top manager for us and has transformed us into a top team. But that doesnt mean that hes free from criticism from time to time.

I think he couldve reacted faster yesterday with the subs and then when that didnt happen he shouldve reacted after 1-1 and shouldve reacted after 1-2. If he has players on the bench he doesnt trust to bring on then they shouldnt be there, get youth players or sign someone.

#76 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2018 - 15:13

View PostRoger Redknapp, on 30 December 2018 - 14:01, said:

No need to be defensive, itís not an attack on poch. But being ignorant of well rounding your weaknesses is a bad type of arrogance.

Thereís enough sample evidence to suggest that our success (in terms of success of process rather than end results) Under Poch, have come from improving players, maintaining fitness, and ensuring everyone is giving 100% regardless of their wage demands or contract length.

But thereís also enough sample evidence to suggest he is an amazing coach, but nowhere near an elite tactician.

Whatís the point in ignoring that fact when there probably is a nerdy tactical data analyst out there that could give us an edge.

Rog no manager or coach on the planet would agree to having to work with a data or tactical analyst that has not come as part of the managers own set up, your basically implying to the manager he is incapable of doing his job properly and in this case with poch that is not required.

Any one at the game or watch via stream yesterday will tell their first goal was comming . Why poch did not change it sooner when everyone else could see what was unfolding I don't know , Davies was left exposed defensivly and going forward and I think this played a big part in losing yesyerday.

No genius was needed yesterday it was poor from poch but it's rare , the players have to shoulder blame aswell not being able to complete 10 yard passes and crowding out the middle of the park is probably not down to tactics but more of an awful day at the office.

#77 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 December 2018 - 16:22

View Postwillyid82, on 30 December 2018 - 15:13, said:

Rog no manager or coach on the planet would agree to having to work with a data or tactical analyst that has not come as part of the managers own set up, your basically implying to the manager he is incapable of doing his job properly and in this case with poch that is not required.

*******************Any one at the game or watch via stream yesterday will tell their first goal was comming . Why poch did not change it sooner when everyone else could see what was unfolding I don't know , Davies was left exposed defensivly and going forward and I think this played a big part in losing yesyerday.********************

Why didnt poch see it coming then ? if everyone saw it unfolding why didnt the most important person for spurs see it also ?

Tactical ineptitude is the answer.

#78 User is offline   Roshan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Cooking, Travelling, Natural Therapy, Reading, Collecting Millitary Objects and swimming.

Posted 30 December 2018 - 16:27

The main reason why Spurs will always struggled is the lack of depth in the Squad.
BORN TO BE A SPURS FAN.

#79 User is offline   JRB 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Dedicated Spurs Supporter since 1950!

Posted 30 December 2018 - 17:02

I was lucky enough to see the whole game via an Internet stream.

I have to agree with those who have said that Poch is tactical inept in using his substitutes. During the first half yesterday their right winger Traore was giving Davies a roasting. It was crying out for Rose to be brought on, it never happened. I was so relived when Traore had to go off in the second half. But we all know what happened when Wolves freshened up and brought on their three subs, three goals!

What did Poch do, virtually nothing, just Moura straight swap for Ali at 68 minutes! And his excuse that he was about to bring on Skipp when they scored is pathetic. What did you do after that, nothing! He then complains that we were fatigued, and he leaves two subs on the bench, pathetic!

Don't get me wrong, on limited resources he has done a fantastic job,and I don't want him to go, but he does have faults.

#80 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2018 - 17:59

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 30 December 2018 - 16:22, said:

Why didnt poch see it coming then ? if everyone saw it unfolding why didnt the most important person for spurs see it also ?

Tactical ineptitude is the answer.

To be honest beagle I don't know why he never changed anything , my guess is he thought we could see it through.

I think it was a bad call rather than being tactically Inept.
Fair play to them though they got the equalizer and went for it , I don't think many teams outside the top 4 get a leveller then go for the win.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users