City 50pts
Spurs 48pts

21 games played....you canít write us off just yet IMO

#2 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:15

Itís all about consistency which we traditionally have a problem with. We are right in it at the moment, the hard part is staying there.

Next league game is against a rejuvenated Man U, lets see how it goes 😬

#3 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:16

I doubt we are really, but I certainly wouldn't concede it just yet. Aim high and fail applies here.

#4 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:19

If we can turn over Man Utd it will reinforce our position and give them a reality check. They havenít played anyone in the top half since Jose left

#5 User is online   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:40

To be 2nd after we'd played every team once means we're 100% in the mix, dropped to 3rd now but still not far off. With a bit of luck today will have knocked Liverpool's confidence and they'll start dropping points. We need some better luck with injuries (both us having less and our rivals having more).

If Rose and Vertonghen stay fit, Dier gets his form back and we can start having the best defence in the league again that'll make a huge difference. Our attack are on fire, and Sissoko is doing well. Seems like Dembele is done but if he can do a Danny Rose and wind the clock back a couple years it would be huge for us.

#6 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:45

View Postfentonroad, on 03 January 2019 - 22:19, said:

If we can turn over Man Utd it will reinforce our position and give them a reality check. They havenít played anyone in the top half since Jose left

In terms of the battle for top 4, this game is massive.

#7 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:53

The wolves defeat seemed big at the time it feels bigger now

Weíve been written off by sky pundits & if Iím honest rightly so after faltering as soon as we seemed in touching distance !

Iíd love to stay close & turn in some huge performances away to city & Liverpool to shut a few up but if Iím honest I donít see us keeping tabs with those two weíd have to win away at both (canít see it )

For me Iím not even considering a title challenge I just want us to beat Utd build a safe gap to 5th get HOME & see where we are with 3-4 games to go !

#8 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 January 2019 - 23:25

View PostSpursDan, on 03 January 2019 - 22:10, said:

Liverpool 54pts
City 50pts
Spurs 48pts

Dan how many times do you want to burn fingers lol, we are not good enough.

#9 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 January 2019 - 23:28

View PostParklaner, on 03 January 2019 - 22:53, said:

The wolves defeat seemed big at the time it feels bigger now

Weíve been written off by sky pundits & if Iím honest rightly so after faltering as soon as we seemed in touching distance !

Iíd love to stay close & turn in some huge performances away to city & Liverpool to shut a few up but if Iím honest I donít see us keeping tabs with those two weíd have to win away at both (canít see it )

For me Iím not even considering a title challenge I just want us to beat Utd build a safe gap to 5th get HOME & see where we are with 3-4 games to go !

The wolves game convinced me we are not good enough, as soon as the pressure was on some of our players could not handle the pressure and did some strange things in that second half. I agree that we should concentrate in securing champions league football then see where we are.

#10 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2019 - 23:52

View PostSpurs scout, on 03 January 2019 - 23:28, said:

The wolves game convinced me we are not good enough, as soon as the pressure was on some of our players could not handle the pressure and did some strange things in that second half. I agree that we should concentrate in securing champions league football then see where we are.

I would take league cup and 4th now. Surely that's not too greedy?

#11 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:50

Fantastic that city won . I canít stand Liverpool or their fans . In fact the city as a whole really . Horrible people . They will be unbearable if they win it .

I can see people might get excited when we are 6 points off the top , 7 really with goal difference .
But the fact remains , we have always got an Arsenal, Watford and wolves performance in us just around the corner . We know from the past few years when we get a glimmer of light and chance to apply pressure we completely bottle it . We just arnt quite their / Itís a fact , not an opinion .
So in no way are we realistically going to win it . Hopefully city win it .

But if we can get a few trophies under our belt , when we get into these situations again , we will have the mentality to cope .

#12 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:57

Honest opinion is that we are 2 decent players short of making a genuine challenge.......! bench options arent great either.

Losing son for a month isnt helpful and crocked players seem to be missing for ages.

Doom-Doom-Doom.

We have a resurgent man utd coming up which could be a decisive game in deciding if we stay in reasonable touch.

...........and ! oh yes ! no money for transfers.

Seriously though: my answer to the question in the thread is "NO" but poch never fails to amaze me with what he does with a limited squad of player.

Top 4 is best i reckon and would be an achievement for a club that is in a transition period with the new stadium build.

#13 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:38

At this moment of time , yes were in it but we need to win our next 5 or 6 to stay with them as we see how Liverpool react to a first defeat and if city fully recover form that is still patchy.

Getting home asap would be huge if we are still close by beginning of March.

#14 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:03

View PostSpursDan, on 03 January 2019 - 22:10, said:

Liverpool 54pts
City 50pts
Spurs 48pts

Are we in the title race? NO, we never were, we aren't, and this season we won't be. Think of it like this. Liverpool would have to lose 2 games and draw one, whilst we would have to win every single game, and that's forgetting what City can do. For every game we lost Liverpool would also have to lose an additional one as well. Watford and Wolves have cost us dearly. I wonder if the lads don't like playing against teams that begin with "W" and play in yellow ?

#15 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:06

View Poststokesie, on 04 January 2019 - 04:50, said:

Fantastic that city won . I canít stand Liverpool or their fans . In fact the city as a whole really . Horrible people . They will be unbearable if they win it .

Absolutely, I couldn't put it better myself, however, you have forgotten to mention that vile accent, and that stupid song they sing before the game, YUCK

#16 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:48

View Postfentonroad, on 03 January 2019 - 23:52, said:

I would take league cup and 4th now. Surely that's not too greedy?

third and any cup, I think we are better than Chelsea and Arsenal at them moment because Chelsea don't have a consistent striker and they are likely to drop points against teams that don't open up and Arsenal has a really poor back four which would stop them being consistent. I think if we allow Man utd to claw back ten points from us that is really poor from us. I think we are now better then hoping for fourth as proved for three seasons but way short of winning the title.

#17 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:06

Just seen the result . Fantastic . This could have been a banana skin. Looked very professional . Happy for loriente , this will give him confidence . We will need him when son goes .

Where is son going again ? He went last season to some tournament . Does he go off every season ? Starting to get silly this , he is in the form of his life , we need him . We should just say b******s to Korea and keep him here . We pay his wages .

#18 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:14

View Postold spur, on 04 January 2019 - 13:06, said:

Absolutely, I couldn't put it better myself, however, you have forgotten to mention that vile accent, and that stupid song they sing before the game, YUCK

That decrepid old stadium , only they would add an extra stand to a stadium thatís falling down . Itís like polishing a turd. They canít bare to change things . Living in the past

That bloody stadium announcer is constantly jibbering on the microphone , loves the sound of his own voice he does . Then there is the a minute silence most matches, usually for someone associated with the 96, someoneís pet died or something . They love grief . The self pity city .

They themselves donít see their selves as English , they say we are Scouse ! Thatís the way I feel aswell . Should build a wall around the place as far as Iím concerned .

Everywhere you go in the world , there is a group of them . They get everywhere , like s*** in a field .

I went to Thailand , middle of knowhere, near the jungle , and there were two of them there , playing pool on some s***ty old table , arguing who had two shots . Trying to get free drinks , because they were from Liverpool . Thai bloke just looked at them blankly . Idiots .

#19 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 05 January 2019 - 18:39

We haven't been this close at this stage for the past 3 years and for the TV media to write us off gets my back up a bit and I'm sure Poch and the lads feel the same way or more

#20 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 20:02

View Postaramak, on 05 January 2019 - 18:39, said:

We haven't been this close at this stage for the past 3 years and for the TV media to write us off gets my back up a bit and I'm sure Poch and the lads feel the same way or more

They have every right for them to not take us seriously because when the pressure is on we usually fail and I don't think we are in the same class as Liverpool and Man city this season. Lets hope our team prove the media and some of us who is not convinced wrong.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users