• You cannot reply to this topic

Are we in the title race?? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 05 January 2019 - 20:10

View Poststokesie, on 05 January 2019 - 03:06, said:

Just seen the result . Fantastic . This could have been a banana skin. Looked very professional . Happy for loriente , this will give him confidence . We will need him when son goes .

Where is son going again ? He went last season to some tournament . Does he go off every season ? Starting to get silly this , he is in the form of his life , we need him . We should just say b******s to Korea and keep him here . We pay his wages .

They was a huge gulf in class, I think our youth team would of had a chance against them. He is playing in the Asian games .

#22 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 05 January 2019 - 21:47

View PostSpurs scout, on 05 January 2019 - 20:02, said:

They have every right for them to not take us seriously because when the pressure is on we usually fail and I don't think we are in the same class as Liverpool and Man city this season. Lets hope our team prove the media and some of us who is not convinced wrong.

See I disagree that Liverpool player for player are better than us. Their style is more explosive and relentless but player for player we're better though I concede on City and they've shown to be vulnerable.

Where I agree is that we've been found wanting in the past during a 2 horse race but like I said points wise we've never been this close and with 3 teams I expect more twists

#23 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 January 2019 - 17:29

View Posttomtom, on 03 January 2019 - 22:40, said:

We need some better luck with injuries (both us having less and our rivals having more).

Kane being out duration of time Sonny's away.

Title race is over barring a miracle. Happy for us to start grinding out 1-0s whenever possible to keep us in the hunt for silverware and in the CL spots.

#24 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 15 January 2019 - 18:41

When we went to MIlan and Crouchie scored THAT goal, we had a midfield pairing of Sandro and Palacios I believe. People forget that we had injuries that day.

Tony Parks in 1984 wasn't our first choice Keeper

Gazza left the pitch early in 91

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you " FERNANDO "

#25 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 15 January 2019 - 20:54

View Postaramak, on 05 January 2019 - 21:47, said:

See I disagree that Liverpool player for player are better than us. Their style is more explosive and relentless but player for player we're better though I concede on City and they've shown to be vulnerable.

Where I agree is that we've been found wanting in the past during a 2 horse race but like I said points wise we've never been this close and with 3 teams I expect more twists

And ten days after your comment do you still think we are in a title race :grinny: I think we are more in a battle for champions league football then title race.

#26 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 January 2019 - 00:54

Just seen Kane out till early March . We are fooked !!!!

#27 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:27

View Poststokesie, on 16 January 2019 - 00:54, said:

Just seen Kane out till early March . We are fooked !!!!

We have beaten Chelsea without Kane but the problem is we had Son who stepped up, Llorente does not have the pace and the ability to bring others into play which is a real problem, if we screw up against Fulham the media is going to have a field day.

Guys look on the bright side we might be knocked out of the champions league and Carabao Cup but at least we have our new stadium to look forward to er next season.

#28 User is offline   electricpace 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:17

In direct response to the thread title ...

Until its mathematically impossible of course we are. Question really should of been “will we win the title?”

#29 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2019 - 00:05

View Postelectricpace, on 16 January 2019 - 10:17, said:

Until its mathematically impossible of course we are. Question really should of been “will we win the title?”

Admire your optimism but let's get real. No.

#30 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 January 2019 - 00:16

Should change the title of this thread to "Are we in the race for the Cowabunga cup" instead.

#31 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:47

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 04 January 2019 - 06:57, said:

Honest opinion is that we are 2 decent players short of making a genuine challenge.......! bench options arent great either.

Losing son for a month isnt helpful and crocked players seem to be missing for ages.

Doom-Doom-Doom.

We have a resurgent man utd coming up which could be a decisive game in deciding if we stay in reasonable touch.

...........and ! oh yes ! no money for transfers.

Seriously though: my answer to the question in the thread is "NO" but poch never fails to amaze me with what he does with a limited squad of player.

Top 4 is best i reckon and would be an achievement for a club that is in a transition period with the new stadium build.

Having said the above on the 4th jan ! we are now even worse off than we were then with kane & sissoko crocked and dembele gone.

Personally i am still hanging on to the hope we can finish top 4 or win a trophy.

To be honest if our striker options are down to the bare bones then you have to use the likes of janssen who apparently has recovered from his foot injury.
Using Llorente will mean changing the way we play.

Cant see poch using 16 year old parrot.

Can see dele scoring a few if he is shoved up in the strikers role but who takes his usual place.

I dont think we would have ever won the prem title but we could have stayed up with with the pace had we remained injury free to key players.
That hasnt happened and retaining a top 4 finish looks a bit in danger now.

#32 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:30

View Postelectricpace, on 16 January 2019 - 10:17, said:

I think even the most blinkerd fans never really believed we had a chance because of our history at screwing things up when the going gets tough.

#33 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:59

We are in the race until it is mathematically impossible. That is the attitude we should always have. Otherwise whats the point? Is it realistic, no, but are we in with a chance - of course. I think that Liverpool and Man City have been too strong this year and are unlikely to dip in form so I can't see us catching up but lets at least keep things interesting by not dropping silly points. We still have to play

Probably the toughest games left for both team are

Tottenham: Chelsea (A) Arsenal (H) Liverpol (A) Man City (A)
Liverpool: Man U (A) Everton (A) Tottenham (H) Chelsea (H)
City: Arsenal (H) Chelsea (H) Man U (A) Tottenham (H)

Dont get me wrong, im not delusional, I dont think we will win it but whats the point of saying its over? If we are not looking to catch City and Liverpool then we are looking over our shoulder and worrying about top 4. I was one of the few that never gave up on the CL this season and it was amazing to see the comeback that we made. Lets focus on winning our game and well see where it takes us.

#34 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:17

View PostChrisPienaar, on 18 January 2019 - 10:59, said:

We are in the race until it is mathematically impossible.

Tottenham: Chelsea (A) Arsenal (H) Liverpol (A) Man City (A)
Liverpool: Man U (A) Everton (A) Tottenham (H) Chelsea (H)
City: Arsenal (H) Chelsea (H) Man U (A) Tottenham (H)

Dont get me wrong, im not delusional,

I can see 2 points from our games left with top 4 sides but hopefully i will proved to be wrong.

Local london derbys to result in 2 draws.

Liverpool and man city both bad defeats.

If poch goes totally tactically defensive against liverpool and man city then we could rescue something.

Tactical stuff isnt poch though ! is it ?

#35 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:43

View PostSpurs scout, on 18 January 2019 - 09:30, said:

I think even the most blinkerd fans never really believed we had a chance because of our history at screwing things up when the going gets tough.

And the consolation is sitting back and watching Klopp's Pool bollock it up on the last day of the season.

#36 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:33

View PostYidio Yidio, on 18 January 2019 - 12:43, said:

And the consolation is sitting back and watching Klopp's Pool bollock it up on the last day of the season.

At least they are putting in a better fight then us, If Klopp's team did win the title they is going to be a lot of custard pie on peoples faces.

#37 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:40

View PostSpurs scout, on 19 January 2019 - 08:33, said:

At least they are putting in a better fight then us, If Klopp's team did win the title they is going to be a lot of custard pie on peoples faces.

They had the coutinho money to spend and actually spent it quite wisely.

As i remember years ago we used to rival them in the transfer market for certain players but since we have the new stadium build that is draining financial resources they dont have any competition in that area from us anymore.

Hopefully its temporary.

#38 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:53

View PostSpurs scout, on 19 January 2019 - 08:33, said:

History suggests he will f*** it up in the final though doesn't it? If we have a history of it, HE certainly does.

#39 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 January 2019 - 16:42

View PostYidio Yidio, on 19 January 2019 - 12:53, said:

History suggests he will f*** it up in the final though doesn't it? If we have a history of it, HE certainly does.

LOL Well he is sticking his two league titles he won at Dortmund at us. I would love our team to be in there position, they are making a real fight for it. It will go to the wire.

#40 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 19 January 2019 - 21:31

View PostSpurs scout, on 19 January 2019 - 16:42, said:

LOL Well he is sticking his two league titles he won at Dortmund at us. I would love our team to be in there position, they are making a real fight for it. It will go to the wire.

The late (and much missed) Mr Greaves and I were unashamedly pro-Klopp, and I still am. He might look like a demented Muppet on the touch line at times but he plays football with a flair and passion. Admittedly he has a history of falling at the final hurdle but has won more than Poch as a manager.

In answer to the thread's question, we are still in it until it is a mathematical impossibility (as mentioned elsewhere), but Harry's injury says it's all over to me. I'd go further than that - sadly I think we will quickly drop out of the cups as well.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users