• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shocking News for Spurs Fans Daily express article. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:30

Dont know how much truth there is in this article as it is doing the rounds on news now tottenham.

According to the story and due to the rising cost of the new stadium and to incoming transfer failures levy is reverting back to his old wages ceiling and also will be taking the cheaper option of buying younger players with a less wage demand.

Take a look at the article yourself on news now tottenham under the title "Shocking news for spurs fans "

#2 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 04 January 2019 - 15:25

I didn't know that Levy had stopped buying young or inexpensive players. Our wage ceiling for incoming players isn't changing, just remaining the same or there abouts. Our wage ceiling for existing players cannot go down.

I haven't read the article, but it's obviously working an agenda as many media outlets do.

#3 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 January 2019 - 16:55

View PostYidio Yidio, on 04 January 2019 - 15:25, said:

I didn't know that Levy had stopped buying young or inexpensive players. Our wage ceiling for incoming players isn't changing, just remaining the same or there abouts. Our wage ceiling for existing players cannot go down.

I haven't read the article, but it's obviously working an agenda as many media outlets do.

I get quite a lot of stuff come through via emails from the daily express.....! some can be correct and ahead of what you get on the usual daily news and some stuff just doesnt make any headline news at all.

This article states that levy has taken on something big with the new stadium and all its added problems .

Original costs were £400 mill but now are hovering around the £1 bill mark (the article claims) (not mine)

Hence spurs will now pursue younger purchases with less wage demands.

#4 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 04 January 2019 - 17:34

Well Uncle Joe should put his hands in his pocket and pay for the b loody stadium. Call him a businessman if you like...I call him a tight wad.

#5 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:11

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 04 January 2019 - 16:55, said:

I get quite a lot of stuff come through via emails from the daily express.....! some can be correct and ahead of what you get on the usual daily news and some stuff just doesnt make any headline news at all.

This article states that levy has taken on something big with the new stadium and all its added problems .

Original costs were £400 mill but now are hovering around the £1 bill mark (the article claims) (not mine)

Hence spurs will now pursue younger purchases with less wage demands.

Yep fair enough but they just play a percentage game, make enough calls and some have to come off.

This article is leaving out the sell to buy philosophy that I keep mentioning. If we sell a player for very good money and replace him with 1 cheaper alternative then they'd be right. But I doubt that would happen.

We signed Moura at around the sort of price and wages I'd expect. The stadium has run over in terms of cost and that money has to be paid. But until we sell a player to pay it, it's just antagonising the fanbase. The truth of that is that Levy isn't stupid with business finances and he knows there is a limit to what he can filter out to pay bills.

The buying young talent claim isn't even a negative, it's what we do and I certainly hope we continue with that. Taking into account that young talent costs between £20/£30 million these days it seems.

#6 User is offline   old spur 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:12

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 04 January 2019 - 07:30, said:

Dont know how much truth there is in this article as it is doing the rounds on news now tottenham.

According to the story and due to the rising cost of the new stadium and to incoming transfer failures levy is reverting back to his old wages ceiling and also will be taking the cheaper option of buying younger players with a less wage demand.

Take a look at the article yourself on news now tottenham under the title "Shocking news for spurs fans "

What do you mean "his old ways" when did that ever change ?

#7 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:41

From what I understand the stadium cost hasn't gone up to 1bn. It's a press misunderstanding of stadium cost (which has increased) Vs overall project cost (which was always much higher).

#8 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:14

Ha ha . I donít see this as shocking , itís just the status quo isnít it ? Under Enic I will never expect or even hope to purchase 50 million plus players, or pay them big wages .
Itís just something that is never going to happen under them .

#9 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:26

View PostYidio Yidio, on 04 January 2019 - 18:11, said:

Yep fair enough but they just play a percentage game, make enough calls and some have to come off.

This article is leaving out the sell to buy philosophy that I keep mentioning. If we sell a player for very good money and replace him with 1 cheaper alternative then they'd be right. But I doubt that would happen.

We signed Moura at around the sort of price and wages I'd expect. The stadium has run over in terms of cost and that money has to be paid. But until we sell a player to pay it, it's just antagonising the fanbase. The truth of that is that Levy isn't stupid with business finances and he knows there is a limit to what he can filter out to pay bills.

The buying young talent claim isn't even a negative, it's what we do and I certainly hope we continue with that. Taking into account that young talent costs between £20/£30 million these days it seems.

Although my personal philosophy on tottenham buying is target one proven player per summer window and maybe pay the asking price, i certainly agree with what you are saying yidio.
The great ipswich team of the 1970s under bobby robson had a similar recruitment outlook as to what we are edging toward now.
In 13 years of being in charge at ipswich only 14 players were brought in from other clubs by robson.....! the rest were products of their home grown youth policy.

What is slightly worrying is that whoever we seem to target someone else seems to be on the same agenda : and so it still comes down to who will cough up the most.

Last couple of weeks i have seen we are looking at a couple of 18 year olds ? along with man utd,the arse, chelsea etc etc.

..........and so it goes on.

Levys executive director donna marie cullen hinted last july that there would be no more scatter gun buying as we did with the magnificent 7.

We took big losses on 4 of those players although eriksen if sold would recoup the whole outlay but thats only because prices have gone mad over the last couple of years.

We also have around £50 mill worth of players who dont look like they will ever make the first team ! also these players are probably on £30-£40 mill per week for sitting round and scratching their b******s....! something i bet levy doesnt like.

Now theres a stadium to pay for also.

Its easy to see why levy has taken the route he has on new recruitments ! however the problem with this is all down to how ambitious your manager is ?
As i said what i would like is one proven player and one gamble come in per summer window but i reckon it will be 5 years down the line (after the new build) that the club will get involved again in shelling out big bucks for players.
I am ok with the youth academy and for our scouting team to be looking at youngsters rather than players with a huge price on their heads.

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:36

Agreed, our transfer policy has to be sustainable, it looks like we will be losing Toby for £25M in the summer, if we can shift one or two others then I presume all that incoming money will be spent on players. Unfortunately, I don't see money from elsewhere being added to the pot, it's very possible that TV and CL money is for paying debt.

As I made obvious, I'm happy with the identity Levy/ENIC have given the club. I won't pretend that they continually punch above their weight, nor will I pretend that Levy isn't as tight as a ducks arse. But I do find that our philosophy is the best in London for a while now.

#11 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 05 January 2019 - 18:37

View PostYidio Yidio, on 05 January 2019 - 10:36, said:

But I do find that our philosophy is the best in London for a while now.

Best in football really and it's a badge Poch seems to be wearing proudly these past 2 weeks

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users