Planet Spurs Forums: Tottenham vs Chelsea - Planet Spurs Forums

Jump to content

  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tottenham vs Chelsea League Cup Semi Final leg 1

#1 User is offline   tomtom 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 10,122
  • Joined: 18-June 11
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 January 2019 - 17:41

Debated moving Armchair's Spurs talk thread about the lineup conundrum here but figure we can focus on the match itself here too.

Hope this goes better than the last cup semi final against Chelsea I went to!

We're in good form. They're in a slightly odd place where they've played pretty well all season but some cracks between manager and board are showing, and he's clearly frustrated with Morata and Giroud is out injured.

You still can't write them off, especially with Hazard having a very good season overall and he bloody loves to score against us.
0

#2 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 8,202
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:None

Posted 06 January 2019 - 18:32

1st legs are always annoying to watch, it's something I find really hard to deal with. Even if you win well, it just gives the opponents a clear picture that they need to throw the kitchen sink at you in the next leg.

It nearly always feels like you've drawn the game. :blink:
0

#3 User is offline   tomtom 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 10,122
  • Joined: 18-June 11
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 January 2019 - 18:35

I'd never thought of it like that but it's a good point. On the flip side score a couple and keep a clean sheet and we know 1-0 will s*** em up in reverse.
0

#4 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,828
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gibraltar

Posted 06 January 2019 - 22:49

We should be aiming to win this cup, only 3 games in it to win it and itís done by end of February leaving time to focus on the league lol, itís perfect really 😂

COYS
0

#5 User is offline   Heisenberg 

  • Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 561
  • Joined: 23-April 17

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:53

View PostChrisPienaar, on 06 January 2019 - 22:49, said:

We should be aiming to win this cup, only 3 games in it to win it and itís done by end of February leaving time to focus on the league lol, itís perfect really 😂

COYS

Sounds neat but if only it were that simple. The teams we have to beat are Chavs who let's face it are a historic massive bogey and the small matter of Man City in the final.

Chelsea over 2 legs is going to be crippling and my concern is that an already ravaged squad will be further depleted by injury. The second leg being away though could act in our favour as our away form has been terrific. No point fretting about Hazard. The little s*** seems to raise his game against us but we nulified him at Wembley this season so hopefully we can keep him quiet. Basically with our other nightmare Giroud injured if we look after the little imp we should be fine over 2 legs. Deli after all is a complete nightmare for them.

No point talking about the final yet until we get there but just dreaming for a second in a one off game we could of course do City. Why not? We competed really well at Wembley and that's the best we've competed against them for a while so not an impossible task.
0

#6 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,828
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gibraltar

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:12

View PostHeisenberg, on 07 January 2019 - 03:53, said:

Sounds neat but if only it were that simple. The teams we have to beat are Chavs who let's face it are a historic massive bogey and the small matter of Man City in the final.

Chelsea over 2 legs is going to be crippling and my concern is that an already ravaged squad will be further depleted by injury. The second leg being away though could act in our favour as our away form has been terrific. No point fretting about Hazard. The little s*** seems to raise his game against us but we nulified him at Wembley this season so hopefully we can keep him quiet. Basically with our other nightmare Giroud injured if we look after the little imp we should be fine over 2 legs. Deli after all is a complete nightmare for them.

No point talking about the final yet until we get there but just dreaming for a second in a one off game we could of course do City. Why not? We competed really well at Wembley and that's the best we've competed against them for a while so not an impossible task.


No one says itís easy but this is where we show how Ďbigí we are as a club. In the same way that you say itís Chelsea and city they should be saying itís Tottenham and being worried. Worried about Hahard? They should be worried about Kane, eriksen, alli, son! COYS!
0

#7 User is offline   SpursDan 

  • Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 2,740
  • Joined: 31-October 15

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:14

View PostHeisenberg, on 07 January 2019 - 03:53, said:

Sounds neat but if only it were that simple. The teams we have to beat are Chavs who let's face it are a historic massive bogey and the small matter of Man City in the final.

Chelsea over 2 legs is going to be crippling and my concern is that an already ravaged squad will be further depleted by injury. The second leg being away though could act in our favour as our away form has been terrific. No point fretting about Hazard. The little s*** seems to raise his game against us but we nulified him at Wembley this season so hopefully we can keep him quiet. Basically with our other nightmare Giroud injured if we look after the little imp we should be fine over 2 legs. Deli after all is a complete nightmare for them.

No point talking about the final yet until we get there but just dreaming for a second in a one off game we could of course do City. Why not? We competed really well at Wembley and that's the best we've competed against them for a while so not an impossible task.


I wish they would scrap the whole 2 legs in the semi of this comp!! Just stick 1 game in a neutral ground or Wembley!!

Jesus to win this comp we would have to have beaten, Watford, West Ham away, Arsenal away, Chelsea over 2 legs and then City.....and yet people will still call it a Mickey Mouse Cup bla bla bla but actually it would be a HUGE achievement IMO

probably our biggest week of the season, although I feel like Iím saying this every week lately! To beat Chelsea and united would send out a huge message and put us in a lovely position going forward
0

#8 User is online   Broadway Beagle 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 4,109
  • Joined: 20-July 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Essex

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:35

View PostSpursDan, on 07 January 2019 - 07:14, said:

I wish they would scrap the whole 2 legs in the semi of this comp!! Just stick 1 game in a neutral ground or Wembley!!

Jesus to win this comp we would have to have beaten, Watford, West Ham away, Arsenal away, Chelsea over 2 legs and then City.....and yet people will still call it a Mickey Mouse Cup bla bla bla but actually it would be a HUGE achievement IMO

probably our biggest week of the season, although I feel like I’m saying this every week lately! To beat Chelsea and united would send out a huge message and put us in a lovely position going forward



Have to agree that 2 legs for this comp is too much at this time of the season after the hectic christmas period.

Dead right it will be an achievement to beat those clubs mentioned along with chelsea who like the spams are up for games against us and whose agenda back in 2016 was a mission to ensure we didnt win anything....! remember the brawling where 9 spurs players were booked ....LOL

Cant see this match being any different ! and i cant see chelsea fielding a weakened side but at least that will show respect.
0

#9 User is offline   Roshan 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,553
  • Joined: 25-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chester, England
  • Interests:Cooking, Travelling, Natural Therapy, Reading, Collecting Millitary Objects and swimming.

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:43

I Don't understand while the Caraboa Cup Semi Final is still on 2 legs. It should be abolished.

It will be a tough game as Chelsea is chasing Silverware as well.
BORN TO BE A SPURS FAN.
0

#10 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,828
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gibraltar

Posted 07 January 2019 - 13:41

View PostRoshan, on 07 January 2019 - 10:43, said:

I Don't understand while the Caraboa Cup Semi Final is still on 2 legs. It should be abolished.

It will be a tough game as Chelsea is chasing Silverware as well.


It's absolutely ridiculous that the semi-final is still two legs. All of the clubs should petition against it.
0

#11 User is offline   tomtom 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 10,122
  • Joined: 18-June 11
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 January 2019 - 17:05

Giroud apparently ready for a return against us. Damn.

Lucas being out is a blow - anyone heard what sort of knock he's carrying? Good timing Lamela's back but leaves us very short with Son off to Asia at the end of the week.
0

#12 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,828
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gibraltar

Posted 07 January 2019 - 17:51

View Posttomtom, on 07 January 2019 - 17:05, said:

Giroud apparently ready for a return against us. Damn.

Lucas being out is a blow - anyone heard what sort of knock he's carrying? Good timing Lamela's back but leaves us very short with Son off to Asia at the end of the week.


Hurt his knee apparently, hopefully not too serious as weíd struggle if both him and son are out...
0

#13 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 8,202
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:None

Posted 07 January 2019 - 19:26

View Posttomtom, on 07 January 2019 - 17:05, said:

Giroud apparently ready for a return against us. Damn.

Lucas being out is a blow - anyone heard what sort of knock he's carrying? Good timing Lamela's back but leaves us very short with Son off to Asia at the end of the week.



I read he was borderline (Giroud) and Lofthouse is deffo out also, Willian and Pedro out.. The Lucas thing is annoying because you'd play him in the home leg but possibly not away.

This post has been edited by Yidio Yidio: 07 January 2019 - 19:27

0

#14 User is offline   aramak 

  • Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 2,569
  • Joined: 06-January 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 07 January 2019 - 19:33

Hate the fact it's a 2 legged semi to be hinest.

Poch has confirmed Gazza will start in goal
0

#15 User is offline   Heisenberg 

  • Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 561
  • Joined: 23-April 17

Posted 07 January 2019 - 22:59

It has always been 2 leg semis. For the traditionalist this is a mid week cup competition with 2 leg semis. You cannot ask to change it just because it would be more convenient.
0

#16 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 8,202
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:None

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:45

View PostHeisenberg, on 07 January 2019 - 22:59, said:

It has always been 2 leg semis. For the traditionalist this is a mid week cup competition with 2 leg semis. You cannot ask to change it just because it would be more convenient.



The format has changed numerous times over the years, it used to be 2 legs in the early rounds. Which helped put some money into lower league clubs. Now the big boys don't get involved at all in those rounds.
0

#17 User is offline   Notimelikethepresent 

  • Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 134
  • Joined: 09-August 17

Posted 08 January 2019 - 16:59

Little in this.

Would be very surprised if anything definitive is decided tonight.

Sarri may just set up to frustrate us. About us being patient and disciplined.
0

#18 User is offline   Roshan 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,553
  • Joined: 25-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chester, England
  • Interests:Cooking, Travelling, Natural Therapy, Reading, Collecting Millitary Objects and swimming.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:33

View PostYidio Yidio, on 08 January 2019 - 01:45, said:

The format has changed numerous times over the years, it used to be 2 legs in the early rounds. Which helped put some money into lower league clubs. Now the big boys don't get involved at all in those rounds.


You are right.
But before we did not have Champions League and Europa League.
Now more English Teams are involved and lots of preliminary qualification, group stages and knock out stages.
BORN TO BE A SPURS FAN.
0

#19 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 8,202
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:None

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:39

View PostRoshan, on 08 January 2019 - 17:33, said:

You are right.
But before we did not have Champions League and Europa League.
Now more English Teams are involved and lots of preliminary qualification, group stages and knock out stages.



We had 2 leg European games from start to finish in all Euro comp's, we also had more teams in the first division. The league cup was never supposed to be a comp. for the big clubs, but without them most comps. would suffer.


So todays league cup actually favours them and takes the chance for a big pay day away from lower league sides and we end up with massive rotation and it only gets serious at semi-final stage. It's not what it set out to be by a long chalk.


Most traditionalist will tell you that.
0

#20 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 8,202
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:None

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:42

Gazza

Crazy Toby Verts/sanchez Rose

Winks Sissko

Alli Erikson Son

Kane


My team
0

Share this topic:


  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users