• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lloris or Gazzinaga

#1 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:44

Now Iíve always been a huge fan of Hugo...always stood up for him after mistakes etc as I feel heís a world class shot stopper.

BUT

Thereís something about Gazza. His composure on the ball/playing out from the back is spot on - I was watching closely last night vs Chelsea. His decision making I miles better than Hugoís and heís quite subtle about what heís going to do as well - whereas I feel Hugo thinks about a pass for a few second before actually making it.

Gazza has shown that his shot stopping is excellent along with his handling which I noticed was superb last night! I donít think Iíve even seen him make a mistake yet - thereís an air of calm and reliability about him...

Is it time for Gazza to get a run of games in the league? Personally I donít think Poch has the minerals to drop Lloris.

#2 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:51

Although Lloris is a very good keeper he isnt world class in my opinion.

A world class keeper just doesnt make as many mistakes as hugo does.

Early days for gazza but he does look good and no poch wont drop Lloris.

#3 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:08

He made a mistake yesterday Dan, at hazard s cross, trips blocked the shot after.

Anyhow; he looks very talented indeed, but hugo will be no 1 for 1 more season..

#4 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:14

Gazzaniga has made a few mistakes but no clangers. He flaps at crosses and tbh last night his distribution wasn't good at all, although it has been previously and Chelsea were closing down our options a lot. He played the ball out of play 4 times. Can't actually remember a ball up to Kane finding him. He basically just passed to Toby for most of the game, who often passed it back as he was uncomfortable playing long balls from the left instead of the right.

All that said he's won all 8 games he's played for us. He's much much better than Vorm and if he carries on the way he is, and Hugo continues to make errors there's a solid argument for a changing of the guard in the not too distant future.

I still think peak Hugo is better than peak Gazzaniga but Hugo needs to get the consistency he had a couple seasons ago.

#5 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:22

Lloris is still our No.1 , just because I feel he's still better than Gazza. I feel that Gazza rode his luck a little last night and I wasn't confident watching him.

Lloris makes saves others wouldn't, but he is getting older. Would dropping him more often keep him happy ? He needs to decline much further than he has to be dropped imo.

#6 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:47

I do like Gazzaniga but Iím not sure if he has what it takes to be our number one.

That being said, Lloris has been losing it over the last couple of years. He can be a match saver one week and a liability the next. itís a big shame because I was always a big fan of his and in his early years with us was a target for the elite clubs due to his performances.

#7 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:58

Didnt see the man utd game but heard 2 thirds of it on radio 5 live.

I think it was chris sutton from the commentary team that reckoned Lloris was at fault for their goal and sort of implied Lloris is an overrated keeper.

I think its time gazzaniga got an extended run but cant see it happening.

#8 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:34

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 14 January 2019 - 06:58, said:

I think it was chris sutton from the commentary team that reckoned Lloris was at fault for their goal and sort of implied Lloris is an overrated keeper.

Hard to completely blame it on Lloris as it was a counter attack from a trippier mistake which meant Lloris was running back to his line until just before rashford shot. What could be his fault is that he is always running back to his line to try and make saves which makes the goal a bigger target for strikers.

#9 User is offline   Spurs scout 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:01

View PostChrisPienaar, on 09 January 2019 - 17:47, said:

I do like Gazzaniga but Iím not sure if he has what it takes to be our number one.

That being said, Lloris has been losing it over the last couple of years. He can be a match saver one week and a liability the next. itís a big shame because I was always a big fan of his and in his early years with us was a target for the elite clubs due to his performances.

On match of the day 2 they said Hugo made it easy for Rashford to score because he was to far too one side and when De gea was in the same position to Alli he got his angles right and made it harder for Alli.

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:02

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 14 January 2019 - 06:58, said:

Chris Sutton was at it a bit yesterday, the Spurs fan that rang in later had a right tit fer tat with him and he did make me laugh when Sutton mentioned his winning the league with Blackburn and the fan said yeah, well done Alan Shearer lol

#11 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:19

View PostSpurs scout, on 14 January 2019 - 09:01, said:

On match of the day 2 they said Hugo made it easy for Rashford to score because he was to far too one side and when De gea was in the same position to Alli he got his angles right and made it harder for Alli.

Looked like Alli tried to nutmeg the keeper and hit his leg. Completely different scenario.

Lloris slightly at fault. Trippier more at fault. Also think goal wouldn't have happened if Sissoko hadn't gone off, we hadn't reorganized properly and they exploited it instantly.

Still. Blaming the keeper for a 1-0 loss when your attackers had about 6-7 clear cut chances is wrong. Hugo had a couple of very good saves in the game too.

Gazza will make mistakes at some point. Jury is out for me whether he's currently a better option than Hugo, I'd lean towards no but tbh we've not seen enough of him to judge.

#12 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:33

View Posttomtom, on 14 January 2019 - 11:19, said:

Looked like Alli tried to nutmeg the keeper and hit his leg. Completely different scenario.

Lloris slightly at fault. Trippier more at fault. Also think goal wouldn't have happened if Sissoko hadn't gone off, we hadn't reorganized properly and they exploited it instantly.

Still. Blaming the keeper for a 1-0 loss when your attackers had about 6-7 clear cut chances is wrong. Hugo had a couple of very good saves in the game too.

Gazza will make mistakes at some point. Jury is out for me whether he's currently a better option than Hugo, I'd lean towards no but tbh we've not seen enough of him to judge.

I think if Lloris continues with his blunders then its time to try something new.

I can see gazzaniga making noises to leave if he doesnt get a fair crack of the whip.

Cant fault poch for doing much wrong but just maybe he ought to drop Lloris to keep him sharp and competitive.

At the moment he knows he is in no danger of losing his place.

#13 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:57

I think most know my thoughts on Hugo so no point going over them. Hugo's on the decline and Gazza's learning still and I don't believe he's the better keeper at the moment but he seems less shaky and I would play him based on the fact he'll never develop his game on the bench and the occasional match.

he needs to be thrown in to find out if he's the answer or if we need to be looking in the summer. Poch has tied his hands by having Hugo as captain which makes him undroppable to a point without it rocking the squad but if Hugo is the main solution then we can forget getting over the line anytime soon.

He's always dodgy in big games and solid against small teams. He got his angles wrong yesterday but Poch got it wrong with full backs. We needed pace on the wings to push them back more.

#14 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:45

View Postaramak, on 14 January 2019 - 11:57, said:

Poch has tied his hands by having Hugo as captain which makes him undroppable to a point without it rocking the squad but if Hugo is the main solution then we can forget getting over the line anytime soon.

He's always dodgy in big games and solid against small teams.

Have to be honest i worry every game we play now with Lloris in goal.

He doesnt exactly exude confidence.

If gazza isnt the answer (and he may prove to be another espen baardsen) than we should be looking elsewhere.

#15 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 14:07

I don't know if Poch has the heart or balls to drop Lloris and to be fair I think it is a very tough decision to make. He is our captain and has been at the club a long time now, its not so easy. Its good that Gazza is being given the league cup and FA cup to showcase his talents. Lloris used to save us 10 points or so a season when we first signed him and thats why he was held in such high regard but since Poch has come in those numbers have dropped and i'm not sure of his influence over the course of a season anymore. I've mentioned it before but Lloris almost refuses to come off his line when someone is running at him and then he makes the goal too big for the opponent. This is in stark contrast to De Gea who took up a good starting position and then held his ground and made the goal smaller for our attackers. Maybe we (Poch) need to accept that Lloris doesn't suit this style of play. It happened to Hart at City (and then even to Bravo, his replacement). Gazza might not be the answer either but he is looking like he should be number 1.

#16 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 15:15

https://www.facebook...20610791319451/

jenas hitting on some points I and others have made before. Llorisí positioning is a big problem. He gives too much of a target to our opponents. Why donít our goalkeeping coaches work on this? If no improvement he should be dropped surely?

#17 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 16:13

Must admit imo gazza saves rashford goal yesterday

I also paid close attention to gazzaís Kicking last Tuesday against Chelsea & it was more confident & more importantly more deliberate!
When gazza goes long he tries to pick out a pass whereas Hugo just gives it a huff up field,

#18 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 16:16

I'd 100% agree on the whole Gazza's distribution is better than Lloris but he had a 'mare with his kicking against Chelsea. Hit it straight out of play 3 times, put us under pressure with it a few times too.

Hugo's distribution was actually better than De Gea's yesterday, but usually it's rubbish so I'm not using this as a reason to keep him as number 1 lol!

#19 User is offline   Parklaner 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 17:05

View Posttomtom, on 14 January 2019 - 16:16, said:

I'd 100% agree on the whole Gazza's distribution is better than Lloris but he had a 'mare with his kicking against Chelsea. Hit it straight out of play 3 times, put us under pressure with it a few times too.

Hugo's distribution was actually better than De Gea's yesterday, but usually it's rubbish so I'm not using this as a reason to keep him as number 1 lol!

Donít think he had a ďmareĒ tom yes he pinged a couple out of play but he also played some clever passes through lines into winks & co & if you watch ederson who is phenomenal with the ball at his feet heíll still hit a few out of play etc
I thought he looked composed & done well with the ball at his feet overall

#20 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 14 January 2019 - 17:09

I admittedly haven't watched it back but more than one person in my section were calling him Hugo in disguise...
Let's agree to disagree lol.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users