• You cannot reply to this topic

Racism Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:08

View PostSteveB, on 10 January 2019 - 06:29, said:

what a shame that a thread on such an importatant matter has to descend to the level of silly comments about penises.

Time to find a different forum I think

Bye

Steve your comments are always appreciated and its hard to find a better spurs forum that doesnt descend into insults.

So stay on this forum please.

Maybe yidio and griff were trying to make things a bit lighthearted as it is a serious subject .

I have had jewish friends and worked for jewish people and i am certainly no racist and find jewish people have a fantastic sense of humour.

There are worse forms of racism than calling yourself a yid (as a spurs supporter)

Also if you want to down rate someones comments on here there is always the plus/minus option to click on that no one ever seems to use.
Maybe that might deter some from spoiling a serious discussion.

#22 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:37

I think that sort of highlights exactly what the problem is, one mans comedy is another mans insult.

If my post has offended just one other Planet Spurs member, then admin should remove it, and they have my blessing to do so.

My sense of humour isn't everyone's cup of tea. I've learned to accept that, apologies to Steve B, my only defence is the story is true. :niceone:

#23 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:14

View PostArmchairSpurs, on 09 January 2019 - 19:50, said:

So, in your world Old Spur, there's no need to worry about the nazi salutes, the monkey noises, the banana throwers and the religion haters. The true enemies are the people that point out that such actions are offensive...

I don't know whether you really mean that or are just looking for someone to bite.

I hope it's the latter.

I am not saying there are not lines that shouldn't be crossed, but the UK society makes to much of it. By and large this country has very little racism. The media just love to turn something non racist into something racist. For example, the lack of black football managers. Does anyone genuinely believe that any football club chairman won't employ a manager because of his colour, of course not. However, there are dozens of snowflakes who just love to make something out of nothing.

There will always be a small amount of racism, and that will never stop, but it should be said racism is a two way street. Human beings by nature are tribal, and struggle to accept anything out of their community and culture. Spurs fans quite often make derogatory remarks about Chelsea fans and Arsenal fans, that in a sense is a form racism. The trouble is that the emphasis now is put on the perpetrator, whereas it used to be about being strong enough to accept what was being said to you. Of course, there is a balance, but the pendulum has swung far to much one way. My best mate is Anglo Indian, he gets a lot of stick, and he gives a lot. I don't get offended when he says all English food is tasteless, and all white people look the same, and he doesn't get offended when I refer to him as a chai wallah. Left alone people will eventually sort things out for themselves, the problem lies in being told what we must think and believe.

#24 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:30

View Postold spur, on 10 January 2019 - 09:14, said:

I am not saying there are not lines that shouldn't be crossed, but the UK society makes to much of it. By and large this country has very little racism. The media just love to turn something non racist into something racist. For example, the lack of black football managers. Does anyone genuinely believe that any football club chairman won't employ a manager because of his colour, of course not. However, there are dozens of snowflakes who just love to make something out of nothing.

There will always be a small amount of racism, and that will never stop, but it should be said racism is a two way street. Human beings by nature are tribal, and struggle to accept anything out of their community and culture. Spurs fans quite often make derogatory remarks about Chelsea fans and Arsenal fans, that in a sense is a form racism. The trouble is that the emphasis now is put on the perpetrator, whereas it used to be about being strong enough to accept what was being said to you. Of course, there is a balance, but the pendulum has swung far to much one way. My best mate is Anglo Indian, he gets a lot of stick, and he gives a lot. I don't get offended when he says all English food is tasteless, and all white people look the same, and he doesn't get offended when I refer to him as a chai wallah. Left alone people will eventually sort things out for themselves, the problem lies in being told what we must think and believe.

A well argued and considered post Old Spur.

#25 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:01

View Postold spur, on 10 January 2019 - 09:14, said:

Top answer old spur.
As you say we are by nature tribal and warlike ! if we werent you would have a grossly overpopulated planet.... !

What gets me is that we squabble and get upset about trivial things when the most important thing we should be doing is looking after the world we live on......!
Look at the plastic in the seas killing marine life every day ! & the s*** we put into the atmosphere with our cars.

#26 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:27

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 10 January 2019 - 11:01, said:

Top answer old spur.
As you say we are by nature tribal and warlike ! if we werent you would have a grossly overpopulated planet.... !

What gets me is that we squabble and get upset about trivial things when the most important thing we should be doing is looking after the world we live on......!
Look at the plastic in the seas killing marine life every day ! & the s*** we put into the atmosphere with our cars.

Music to my ears. I am not an echo worrier by any means, but do get upset by how our specie disrespects other animals. We are responsible directly and indirectly for so much animal suffering throughout the world. Our population is horribly out of control (see link) http://www.worldomet...rld-population/ and as such our infrastructure and planet is struggling to cope, yet there is an element of society who are actually upset because someone has called them, or someone else, a nasty name. Your right, our lack of respect for each other is insignificant compared to our lack of respect shown for our planet and the other animals we have to share it with.

#27 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:07

View Postold spur, on 10 January 2019 - 11:27, said:

Music to my ears. I am not an echo worrier by any means, but do get upset by how our specie disrespects other animals. We are responsible directly and indirectly for so much animal suffering throughout the world. Our population is horribly out of control (see link) http://www.worldomet...rld-population/ and as such our infrastructure and planet is struggling to cope, yet there is an element of society who are actually upset because someone has called them, or someone else, a nasty name. Your right, our lack of respect for each other is insignificant compared to our lack of respect shown for our planet and the other animals we have to share it with.

Its hard to know who you can appeal to for the rights of other species to exist on this planet because it falls on deaf ears.

If no one takes any notice of David Attenborough then what can we do ? he has called us the worlds disease and no one really gets it ?

Road kill is decimating our wildlife but nobody does anything about it ! if it was children getting squashed on the motorways there would be riots across the country.

Human kind lives in its own little safety cocoon and believes in its own self importance...! and reacts to anything that challenges that same thing.......!

#28 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:46

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 10 January 2019 - 15:07, said:

Its hard to know who you can appeal to for the rights of other species to exist on this planet because it falls on deaf ears.

If no one takes any notice of David Attenborough then what can we do ? he has called us the worlds disease and no one really gets it ?

Road kill is decimating our wildlife but nobody does anything about it ! if it was children getting squashed on the motorways there would be riots across the country.

Human kind lives in its own little safety cocoon and believes in its own self importance...! and reacts to anything that challenges that same thing.......!

Very well put, and absolutely spot on, yet there are so many people who are more worried about a bit of name calling. It's a strange country we live in. We talk about culling foxes, dear, rabbits, and badgers, yet there are 67 million people in the UK, and we continue to breed at a crazy rate, let alone all the immigration issue.

#29 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:50

The problem also lies with those kind hearted souls who think that cat rescue centres are fighting against the problem. Domestic cats are killing our nocturnal animals off as well. Armed with a catflap these hunters are killing for fun.

The average man/woman on the street just shouts that all animals should not be harmed and don't actually understand the reasons why some are culled. There is ignorance at every turn.

The game keeper of Richmomnd Park recently retired and has written a book, been there for decades and trained the guy who took over from him. (can't remember his name) but he's the sort of guy I'd take notice of.

Anyway, this has drifted away from football.

#30 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 16:36

View PostYidio Yidio, on 10 January 2019 - 15:50, said:

The problem also lies with those kind hearted souls who think that cat rescue centres are fighting against the problem. Domestic cats are killing our nocturnal animals off as well. Armed with a catflap these hunters are killing for fun.

( *******The average man/woman on the street just shouts that all animals should not be harmed and don't actually understand the reasons why some are culled. There is ignorance at every turn******)

(.........*Anyway, this has drifted away from football.*...........)

Sure has drifted away from footie just like you going on about your penis ! but who could give a fig about that particular subject.

Having a go at domestic cats doesnt even glance off the killing we are doing wholesale that is causing hundreds of species to go on the brink of extinction !
Talking of ignorance ! lets go back to the middle ages and bring it into the modern era and believe that killing rhino,s for their horns will somehow get back a persons libido ?

A whole species is going extinct for this type of ignorance.

Elephants slaughtered for ornamental objects.

The list is endless.

#31 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 16:53

Shame, I tried.

#32 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 17:06

View PostYidio Yidio, on 10 January 2019 - 16:53, said:

Shame, I tried.

Animals dont poison the seas, pollute vast areas of the planet.........! shoot other species for fun ! need i go on ?

Why are we being told by ecologists we have to change the way we live ?

Other species havent contributed to the state the planet is in.

I could go on but its too controversial a subject that you obviously have a one sided view upon.

So thats it because i have no wish to alienate anyone on here.

End of subject for me.

#33 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 18:04

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 10 January 2019 - 17:06, said:

Animals dont poison the seas, pollute vast areas of the planet.........! shoot other species for fun ! need i go on ?

Why are we being told by ecologists we have to change the way we live ?

Other species havent contributed to the state the planet is in.

I could go on but its too controversial a subject that you obviously have a one sided view upon.

So thats it because i have no wish to alienate anyone on here.

End of subject for me.

At no point have I dismissed anything you or anyone else has said about mankind harming the planet. I merely pointed out that domestic cats are decimating some of our smaller nocturnal creatures and that it was being ignored as a problem. If you think I'm blaming cats for global warming, elephant hunting, or pollution of the oceans then yes, it's best neither of us say anymore on the subject. How you've come to the presumption that I have a one sided view is truly astounding.

The game keeper book was a recommendation for what I presume would be an interesting book, the interview he did that I heard certainly opened my mind about how they manage Deer in Richmond Park.

And the Penis remark was already discussed, it was light hearted humour, but feel free to ask for it to be removed if it offends, I've said I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I won't post in this thread as none of it draws strong opinion from me that I'm willing to argue over.

#34 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 18:23

View PostYidio Yidio, on 10 January 2019 - 18:04, said:

At no point have I dismissed anything you or anyone else has said about mankind harming the planet. I merely pointed out that domestic cats are decimating some of our smaller nocturnal creatures and that it was being ignored as a problem. If you think I'm blaming cats for global warming, elephant hunting, or pollution of the oceans then yes, it's best neither of us say anymore on the subject. How you've come to the presumption that I have a one sided view is truly astounding.

The game keeper book was a recommendation for what I presume would be an interesting book, the interview he did that I heard certainly opened my mind about how they manage Deer in Richmond Park.

And the Penis remark was already discussed, it was light hearted humour, but feel free to ask for it to be removed if it offends, I've said I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I won't post in this thread as none of it draws strong opinion from me that I'm willing to argue over.

I acknowledge that domestic cats are responsible for killing rare voles and shrews etc but it isnt anywhere near what man is doing to the whole world and thats what i was pointing out.

Jokes about penis,s might upset snowflakes but i,m impervious to stuff like that at my age...........LOL

Youre ok mate ! no worries.

#35 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 January 2019 - 18:30

View PostSteveB, on 10 January 2019 - 06:29, said:

what a shame that a thread on such an importatant matter has to descend to the level of silly comments about penises.

Time to find a different forum I think

Bye

Try ‘ THE FIGHTING COCK’ ......oops sorry. 😂

#36 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:44

Seems like we have lost steve b who posted in a sensible constructive way and personally i am sorry to see him leave.

My views on the whole racism thread and i think old spur agrees with me is that it is part and parcel of the human race and always will be.

In its many forms it isnt very nice and it doesnt belong at football matches but as has been discussed football fans are very tribal.

Trying to get rid of it from all walks of life is admirable but in my opinion a lost battle ! there will always be people who take it to the extreme.

#37 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:09

Racism thread ends up talking about cats ..... ha ha ha ha

#38 User is offline   old spur 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:14

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 11 January 2019 - 05:44, said:

Seems like we have lost steve b who posted in a sensible constructive way and personally i am sorry to see him leave.

My views on the whole racism thread and i think old spur agrees with me is that it is part and parcel of the human race and always will be.

In its many forms it isnt very nice and it doesnt belong at football matches but as has been discussed football fans are very tribal.

Trying to get rid of it from all walks of life is admirable but in my opinion a lost battle ! there will always be people who take it to the extreme.

If Steve thinks he is going to find a more serious site, he has something coming. A far bigger problem than racism is people being over sensitive, and perhaps Steve should realise this. Honestly, I don't think he would last long in my ,local

#39 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:15

View Poststokesie, on 11 January 2019 - 12:09, said:

Racism thread ends up talking about cats ..... ha ha ha ha

You have to appreciate the colourful and varied posts on planet spurs and where and what it may lead to..........! the creativity of its members are there for everyone to see .

Dont tell me you dont like tabby cats ? LOL

#40 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:21

Ha ha ha ha ha .

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic