Planet Spurs Forums: Will any trophy do? - Planet Spurs Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will any trophy do? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

  • Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 1,766
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:10

Poch has (sort of) said that winning the FA or Haribo Cup will make no difference to our clubs standing - only the CL or PL will mean anything. I can see what he means, although our trophy drought is becoming a bit of an embarrassment. But would winning the Haribo Cup be considered a successful season if we win nothing else (including not reaching the top four in the PL)? I don't think it would. Maybe a double cup win (Haribo and FA) would do it for the majority of fans, but all the media and footballing world's attention would still be focused on the PL and CL. Any success would be a parochial one.

I hate to say it (being old school) but it is easy to see why the 'top four' has become more desirable than winning either of the domestic cups. It leads to exposure across the world and, if progress is made, a fair bit of cash.

So, Haribo winners but no CL football next season at our new stadium? Or no trophy and top four finish?

Top four for me I'm afraid to say.
0

#2 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 7,922
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:None

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:19

Yep. agree 100% with both you and Poch.

But highlight the fact that no one is saying they don't want or care about winning a domestic trophy, but for the sake of progress top 4 is more important.

The more they try to place emphasis on us not winning a trophy, the more I see top 4 importance. You only need to go back to our last trophy success to see how quickly the shine of the Cowabunga disappears.

A question for you Armchair, FA or Bunga ???

This post has been edited by Yidio Yidio: 10 January 2019 - 10:21

0

#3 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

  • Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 1,766
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:28

View PostYidio Yidio, on 10 January 2019 - 10:19, said:

A question for you Armchair, FA or Bunga ???


No brainer Yidio - FA every time.
0

#4 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 7,922
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:None

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:38

View PostArmchairSpurs, on 10 January 2019 - 10:28, said:

No brainer Yidio - FA every time.


For me it's changed somewhat, I agree that prestige belongs to the FA, but I factor in opponents in the final these days on a personal front.

Beating Chelski in a league cup final gave that particular success far greater reward. And should we get past this years opponents to lift it again against City it will again increase the value of the trophy. I've mocked Arsenals recent Cup successes because they beat lesser teams then cheated against a strong one.

I respect your choice, but more out of traditional values than sporting opinion.
0

#5 User is offline   old spur 

  • Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 661
  • Joined: 13-July 17

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:50

Well, let's not forget why the club exists. It has nothing to do with it's status, it has nothing to do with money (albeit I realise the need for money) it is about it's fans. Coming 4th in the league may give a few bragging rights to a few sad fans, but having a big day out at Wembley and celebrating a trophy is what it's all about. I genuinely believe that some people are getting financial success confused with footballing success.
0

#6 User is offline   stokesie 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,686
  • Joined: 19-December 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:51

View Postold spur, on 10 January 2019 - 10:50, said:

Well, let's not forget why the club exists. It has nothing to do with it's status, it has nothing to do with money (albeit I realise the need for money) it is about it's fans. Coming 4th in the league may give a few bragging rights to a few sad fans, but having a big day out at Wembley and celebrating a trophy is what it's all about. I genuinely believe that some people are getting financial success confused with footballing success.

100 per cent from me . I hate the cl . Give me a trophy any day . Itís what the game is about . Winning things .
If I had a choice , top 4 this season or a trophy , trophy all day long .
The problem is , itís been so long since we have won something , our fans have forgotten what it feels like , and some have been taken in with the modern game bulls*** that the cl is the only thing that matters . Itís ruined football , wish the thing could be scrapped and go back to how it used to be . Itís all conditioning for European super league . f*** the cl and all that comes with it
0

#7 User is offline   old spur 

  • Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 661
  • Joined: 13-July 17

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:59

View Poststokesie, on 10 January 2019 - 11:51, said:

100 per cent from me . I hate the cl . Give me a trophy any day . Itís what the game is about . Winning things .
If I had a choice , top 4 this season or a trophy , trophy all day long .
The problem is , itís been so long since we have won something , our fans have forgotten what it feels like , and some have been taken in with the modern game bulls*** that the cl is the only thing that matters . Itís ruined football , wish the thing could be scrapped and go back to how it used to be . Itís all conditioning for European super league . f*** the cl and all that comes with it


DITTO
0

#8 User is online   ChrisPienaar 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,525
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gibraltar

Posted 10 January 2019 - 13:42

Why is it a choice between a trophy and top 4?

Financially top 4 is a must. If you think things are bad transfer-wise now, without CL weíd self destruct. Not just from prize money but also sponsor deals and such.

For right now, I do think any trophy will do. It will lift the players and it will remove a bit of the scrutiny about us winning nothing. I agree it will not take us to another level but it should keep the players happy and it will certainly make the fans happy. I still have fond memories of our league cup win in 2008 (and I watched at home!) so I donít buy into the whole league cup is worthless cr@p. A final is a great day all round.
Added to that I think the players need to feel success in order to push on and challenge for other trophies. A league cup win could be a breath of fresh air and give them the realisation that they can win. Because right now our mentality in crucial games seems to be the only thing stopping us.
0

#9 User is offline   Spurs scout 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 3,696
  • Joined: 25-November 14

Posted 10 January 2019 - 14:09

View PostArmchairSpurs, on 10 January 2019 - 10:28, said:

No brainer Yidio - FA every time.

Sadly football has changed, the game is now dominated by the super rich clubs, maybe in its day you could get a coventry cabable of winning it , not now, today the rich clubs have a squad of 25 players all world class so that makes upsets slim, Even if we did beat Chelsea and get to the final , Man city is so strong that they are more likely to win all the domestic cup competitions while we just have a hope.
0

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 7,922
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:None

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:57

View PostSpurs scout, on 10 January 2019 - 14:09, said:

Sadly football has changed, the game is now dominated by the super rich clubs, maybe in its day you could get a coventry cabable of winning it , not now, today the rich clubs have a squad of 25 players all world class so that makes upsets slim, Even if we did beat Chelsea and get to the final , Man city is so strong that they are more likely to win all the domestic cup competitions while we just have a hope.



Yep, even with the rotation that sees some of the big guns almost duck out every year, it's not often a lesser team wins one. Even then it seems to do more harm than good.
0

#11 User is offline   hotsauce 

  • Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 2,920
  • Joined: 21-October 10

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:59

It doesn't matter what they think really I want any cup right now,, but agree with poch even if we win league cup and fa cup jealous people will still say,,yea but can they do it on the big stage,,, we are hated because we are breaking the system were you need to spend hundreds of millions to compete,,and we are doing things the right way ,,the way it should be done and none of the others could do it,,, so if we win the ,,,silly little,,league cup make a big deal about it like I will because we will enjoy winning that cup as mach as man city will winning the CL because deep down there older fans will know there cheating with all that money
0

#12 User is offline   old spur 

  • Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 661
  • Joined: 13-July 17

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:17

View PostSpurs scout, on 10 January 2019 - 14:09, said:

Sadly football has changed, the game is now dominated by the super rich clubs, maybe in its day you could get a coventry cabable of winning it , not now, today the rich clubs have a squad of 25 players all world class so that makes upsets slim, Even if we did beat Chelsea and get to the final , Man city is so strong that they are more likely to win all the domestic cup competitions while we just have a hope.


That may be true, but it even more the case in Europe, and for winning the league. The harder we try to win EVERYTHING we enter the more chance we have of winning something. Disrespecting a domestic trophy is crazy, when in reality we have no chance of winning the CL
0

#13 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 7,922
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:None

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:22

View Postold spur, on 11 January 2019 - 12:17, said:

That may be true, but it even more the case in Europe, and for winning the league. The harder we try to win EVERYTHING we enter the more chance we have of winning something. Disrespecting a domestic trophy is crazy, when in reality we have no chance of winning the CL


Klopp has without doubt folded his hand in domestic cups this season, do you think that will aid their chance of winning the prem ?
0

#14 User is offline   old spur 

  • Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 661
  • Joined: 13-July 17

Posted 11 January 2019 - 14:19

View PostYidio Yidio, on 11 January 2019 - 12:22, said:

Klopp has without doubt folded his hand in domestic cups this season, do you think that will aid their chance of winning the prem ?


Liverpool are sitting comfortably at the top of the table. Although Liverpool have a very good squad, they don't have the depth City do. We are not in the same position. We don't have a chance in h*ll of winning the league or the CL, so that only leaves the domestic trophies. If you believe it has to be CL, prem, or nothing, we will have to give up all our ambition and be happy with nothing.
0

#15 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

  • Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Posts: 7,922
  • Joined: 17-March 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:None

Posted 11 January 2019 - 18:57

View Postold spur, on 11 January 2019 - 14:19, said:

Liverpool are sitting comfortably at the top of the table. Although Liverpool have a very good squad, they don't have the depth City do. We are not in the same position. We don't have a chance in h*ll of winning the league or the CL, so that only leaves the domestic trophies. If you believe it has to be CL, prem, or nothing, we will have to give up all our ambition and be happy with nothing.



Top 4 is a trophy, Wenger said so.


Do you think automatic promotion from the championship meaning 1st or 2nd is a lesser achievement than winning a Wembley play off final to gain promotion ? It's risky to aim for it, and I wonder if fans would choose a 3rd to 6th place finish over a 1st or 2nd knowing they would get a possible, and it is only possible, final at Wembley. After all, only one of the four play off teams actually gets anything out of it.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users