• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Was he sold too early ? Townsend

#1 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:27

Tottenham through and through and refused to celebrate when scoring against us in the fa cup.

Was he sold too early ?

I thought Andros Townsend got a bad deal when virtually chucked out from spurs.

A little injury prone but offers more coming off the bench than those we have scratching their b******s on there right now.

Selling him was poch shooting himself in the foot and lessening his options off the bench.

Gylfi Sigurdsson was another mistake but that wasnt pochs fault.

Look at the bench we have now and try to convince me both these players wouldnt have improved it.

#2 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:41

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 29 January 2019 - 06:27, said:

Tottenham through and through and refused to celebrate when scoring against us in the fa cup.

Was he sold too early ?

I thought Andros Townsend got a bad deal when virtually chucked out from spurs.

A little injury prone but offers more coming off the bench than those we have scratching their b******s on there right now.

Selling him was poch shooting himself in the foot and lessening his options off the bench.

Gylfi Sigurdsson was another mistake but that wasnt pochs fault.

Look at the bench we have now and try to convince me both these players wouldnt have improved it.

I liked Townsend because he was spurs through and though, however he was not good enough when we sold him. He wasn't that effective and I remember being incredibly frustrated by him. He has definitely improved as a player since he left but I think it has taken him until the last year or two to reach his best level. I don't regret letting him go because at the time it was the right decision and we are only saying well take him now because of the desperate situation we are in. We should be able to do better than him to be honest - I would take him now because I would take anyone lol.

Sigurdsson, I was disappointed to lose him when we did. AVB ruined his chances with us as he wasn't given a proper chance and made to play out of position most times. Under Poch I think Gylfi could have been great. He is hands down one of the most technically gifted players I have ever seen. The way he strikes the ball is a nightmare for most keepers. I wish we could have held on to him because he offers something different to what we have and he might actually be able to take a corner or free kick.

I agree looking at what we have now we could absolutely use both these players but bloody h*ll, based on the look of our bench in the last few games I would take Didier Zokora and Roman Pavlyuchenko back :lmao:

#3 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:32

View PostChrisPienaar, on 29 January 2019 - 08:41, said:

I agree looking at what we have now we could absolutely use both these players but bloody h*ll, based on the look of our bench in the last few games I would take Didier Zokora and Roman Pavlyuchenko back :lmao:

Harry didnt rate pav as i remember ! this was a multi discussion subject on my old spurs forum years ago ! causing many a ruck on there ! for a change i didnt get involved because i was open minded about the player but i thought deep down that although i wanted the player to be a serial scorer for spurs he tended to want to much time on the ball.

Do you know chris ? i only remember zokora for being a bit of an odd type of player ! obviously not very memorable.... :niceone:

#4 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:05

Townsend was decent for us in a couple games where we were on the counter. It's why he's done OK at teams who play on the counter. We rarely do.

He wasn't good enough for us at all. I was willing him to be but he just wasn't.

He has improved but still not convinced he'd work well in our side. Lucas is a better player. So is Lamela when not injured.

Siggy was never good enough either. He's inconsistent and doesn't work hard enough but pops up on motd scoring a worldie 5 times a season so everyone thinks he's better than he is. Eriksen is far superior. Sure he'd be a great squad player but no way he'd have settled for that, doubt Andros would either.

#5 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 January 2019 - 13:34

View Posttomtom, on 29 January 2019 - 12:05, said:

Townsend was decent for us in a couple games where we were on the counter. It's why he's done OK at teams who play on the counter. We rarely do.

He wasn't good enough for us at all. I was willing him to be but he just wasn't.

He has improved but still not convinced he'd work well in our side. Lucas is a better player. So is Lamela when not injured.

Siggy was never good enough either. He's inconsistent and doesn't work hard enough but pops up on motd scoring a worldie 5 times a season so everyone thinks he's better than he is. Eriksen is far superior. Sure he'd be a great squad player but no way he'd have settled for that, doubt Andros would either.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I think its easy justifying the reason why we sold these players on and comforting to say " well we did the right thing there"

I think with these 2 players and whats available on our present bench thats its questionable and debatable.

Poch said he didnt want siggy to go in the first place and townsend was made an example of.

With the load of dollop on the bench we have now i would rather these 2 lads on board to call upon.

Both players weigh in with goals and townsend still has pace to burn.

Options is what they offer and the options we have scratching their b******s on the bench right now are hopeless.

#6 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:None

Posted 29 January 2019 - 18:16

I remember the complaints about him before we sold him. Always cutting inside and trying to shoot. He's probably having his best season since we sold him tbh.

Wasn't there a rumpus during training which sealed his fate ? Anyway, he posted a tweet that was very respectful to an idiot fan complaining that he didn't celebrate his goal, showed some maturity there.

#7 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 January 2019 - 18:22

neither of them would have been happy to sit on the bench.

Honestly, Townsend was bang average. There's a reason he's bounced from mid table club to mid table club since leaving us.

Siggy is better than average, but still not a top CL quality player.

Both would improve our bench, neither would be happy on it. In fact iirc both left to pursue first team football.

#8 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 January 2019 - 18:26

View Posttomtom, on 29 January 2019 - 18:22, said:

Honestly, Townsend was bang average. There's a reason he's bounced from mid table club to mid table club since leaving us.

Both would improve our bench, neither would be happy on it. In fact iirc both left to pursue first team football.

agree

#9 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 January 2019 - 18:47

View Posttomtom, on 29 January 2019 - 18:22, said:

Point is neither of them played up to be sold so that negates your claim they wouldnt have been happy on the bench.

But glad you approve that both would have actually improved the bench.

#10 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 January 2019 - 15:03

Siggy on why he left:
"Of course, I could have probably stayed on but I wanted the chance to go back to Swansea and play football again. I wanted to use my time as a professional, because your career is really short. I wanted to go out and play every week and that worked out really well"

Townsend said similar if my memory serves correct. He fell out with the coaching staff and that was rumoured partially to be over lack of first team appearances.

Do you really think they would have both happily sat on the bench for 4 years as squad players?

#11 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 January 2019 - 16:30

Thats one scenario you are talking about.

They may have actually become first team choices had they been given a fair crack of the whip.

#12 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 January 2019 - 17:20

in place of who? Eriksen? Dele? Son?

We've improved since the Sherwood days thankfully. And that includes those two in my opinion.

Only person I'd say I really regret selling is Walker because Tripps form has dipped and Aurier hasn't been consistent. Take Tripps errors out of a few games this season and we might be in a stronger position. We know he was pushing to leave and we may yet get better out of Aurier but hard not to look at this season and see we're weaker without him than we were with.

#13 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 January 2019 - 17:57

You do however have to remember that we didn't just buy Aurier with the money from selling Walker.

During that window we actually signed Foyth, Sanchez, Llorente and Gazza. So maybe the sale of Walker didn't actually weaken us in terms of depth.

#14 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 January 2019 - 18:17

View Posttomtom, on 30 January 2019 - 17:20, said:

in place of who? Eriksen? Dele? Son?

The three players you have just mentioned arent exactly mega consistent are they?

Eriksen,s inability to take a corner with any effect has been questioned on here often, dele can be good or totally ineffective .

Son,s limitations are exposed in games against the bigger teams.

Not knocking them to start off a contentious new thread but they need competition for their places and they havent really got that have they ?

Justifying the clubs decisions to sell certain players on seems to be what you advocate and uphold.

I am questioning the reason for doing such a thing and why siggy was allowed to make swansea a massive profit and we got lumbered with davies and vorm in return? not to mention the £12 mill pissed up the wall on those 2 players ? one who is sometimes bemoaned on here and the other never plays and has lost his understudy place to gazza.

#15 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 January 2019 - 23:51

My points have been made, you disagree and think Siggy and Townsend would have ousted Eriksen and Son from the first team given a chance, you're welcome to that opinion. :niceone:

Also Davies has been poor lately but has been a good signing on the whole and Vorm has been solid cover but is old now. Both decent bits of business. We got a sell on fee for Siggy too when Swansea sold him to Everton, not loads, but a few M.

#16 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:08

View Posttomtom, on 30 January 2019 - 23:51, said:

My points have been made, you disagree and think Siggy and Townsend would have ousted Eriksen and Son from the first team given a chance, you're welcome to that opinion. :niceone:

Also Davies has been poor lately but has been a good signing on the whole and Vorm has been solid cover but is old now. Both decent bits of business. We got a sell on fee for Siggy too when Swansea sold him to Everton, not loads, but a few M.

No i am saying if poch rotated correctly to avoid player fatigue then both siggy and andros could have gotten games and been kept happy.
I never said they are better than those players you mentioned ! they could have been different options .

You have voiced your opinion and upheld the decision by the club to sell them ! while i have said they are better than what we have on the bench right now.

No big deal! :cheers:

#17 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:08

And Andros + siggy only developed into players they are now because they played so many PL games. Andros wouldn't make the bench nowadays tbh

#18 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:26

View PostFlying_Dutchman, on 07 February 2019 - 08:08, said:

And Andros + siggy only developed into players they are now because they played so many PL games. Andros wouldn't make the bench nowadays tbh

Maybe not man city or liverpool bench ?

He would offer pace in attack and free up other forwards by his marauding..............off the spurs bench.

Especially when opposing teams defenders are tiring !

#19 User is offline   Flying_Dutchman 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:31

View PostBroadway Beagle, on 07 February 2019 - 13:26, said:

Maybe not man city or liverpool bench ?

He would offer pace in attack and free up other forwards by his marauding..............off the spurs bench.

Especially when opposing teams defenders are tiring !

Which attacker are you prepared to swap for him

eriksen alli son lamela moura
Don't forget winks can play on 10 as well

Wouldn't swap anyone for him

#20 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:35

Agreed Dutch. No one has mentioned Andros being a regret in 4.5 years, he's having a small purple patch now so it's come up.

This is a man who thrives in a counter attacking team, is considered the 2nd biggest threat in his team's squad and whose best season saw him bag 4 goals in 36 games. It's one of the more bizarre things I've heard.

When he was here I was willing him to develop, but Poch clearly saw he had a ceiling that was below our level and moved him on. It's a shame as he was a proper Spurs lad, English and had some natural attributes you'd want but he's more likely to be in the championship than a top 4 squad in a couple seasons imo.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users