• You cannot reply to this topic

Greetings from Florida!

#1 User is offline   South Florida Spur 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 05 March 2019 - 18:39

Good day all.

I’ve been lurking on this site the past 2 seasons and have finally decided to get my feet wet. More of a reader than a poster but I will post every now and then as I already have a couple questions.

Good luck to the guys in Dortmund today and move on to the next round. Won’t be drinking a beer :cheers: at 7:00am in the pub like I was last Saturday (I’m at work checking in on the progress of the game via the internet)
-Member of The Fort Lauderdale Massive: Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Club-

#2 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 March 2019 - 18:56

Hi Kevin,

welcome to the site!

Believe we've got a bit of a following in Florida... Think the Orlando Spurs fans are pretty active.

Don't be afraid to post. I know we have a lot of lurkers here but it's always more fun if everyone gets stuck in.

#3 User is offline   South Florida Spur 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2019 - 19:04

View Posttomtom, on 05 March 2019 - 18:56, said:

Hi Kevin,

welcome to the site!

Believe we've got a bit of a following in Florida... Think the Orlando Spurs fans are pretty active.

Don't be afraid to post. I know we have a lot of lurkers here but it's always more fun if everyone gets stuck in.

Thanks, that's good to know. Will check into that when next I go to Central Florida to visit relatives. I'm a member of the "Fort Lauderdale Massive" Tottenham Supporters Club.

#4 User is offline   Lonspurs 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 March 2019 - 23:54

View PostSouth Florida Spur, on 05 March 2019 - 18:39, said:

Good day all.

Iíve been lurking on this site the past 2 seasons and have finally decided to get my feet wet. More of a reader than a poster but I will post every now and then as I already have a couple questions.

Good luck to the guys in Dortmund today and move on to the next round. Wonít be drinking a beer :cheers: at 7:00am in the pub like I was last Saturday (Iím at work checking in on the progress of the game via the internet)

Warmest welcome to the site and look forward to reading your posts.

#5 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:44

Welcome to the site, and please do get stuck in.

I have a question for you,

We are led to believe that THFC are picking up quite a good following in the US, supporter clubs starting up at an impressive rate etc.

Now I know it's a big place, but could you give us your opinion of what English clubs have the strongest following in America and also what you feel the NFL games at the new stadium will bring about for THFC.

Some of us have slight concerns that the NFL will swallow up our football club.

This post has been edited by Yidio Yidio: 06 March 2019 - 08:45

#6 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:47

Oh yeah, should have called yourself Flow Rider :niceone:

#7 User is offline   South Florida Spur 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2019 - 18:21

View PostYidio Yidio, on 06 March 2019 - 08:44, said:

Welcome to the site, and please do get stuck in.

I have a question for you,

We are led to believe that THFC are picking up quite a good following in the US, supporter clubs starting up at an impressive rate etc.

Now I know it's a big place, but could you give us your opinion of what English clubs have the strongest following in America and also what you feel the NFL games at the new stadium will bring about for THFC.

Some of us have slight concerns that the NFL will swallow up our football club.

I cannot speak for Florida in general and definitely not the US as a whole. That being said, I would gather that the teams that have the biggest brand names and historical success would be the ones with the strongest followings. I good guess would be to see which EPL clubs come across the pond during the summer to play in the International Champions Cup. The organizers aren’t going to want to include teams that won’t move the needle. So basically, the same top 6 teams on the top of EPL table that you see every year. Heck, I was surprised that Spurs were included in 2017 (because we haven’t won anything recently) and thus made every effort to go the game in Orlando against PSG. I would hazard a guess that NFL following in the UK might be the same way with teams like the New England Patriots, Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers having the most fans, though I could be wrong.

Here is South Florida, based upon what I see around town and at shopping mall soccer stores with my own eyes (yes, not a very good sample size) I guess that Barca, Real Madrid and Man Utd are far away up top, with Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh and Arsenal afterwards. Spurs are not household names yet IMO, unless you’re talking the basketball team in San Antonio. My local Spurs Supporter's Club has over 300 members on FaceBook.

NFL at the new stadium. I think that it’s an exciting addition to the landscape but I also think that there shouldn’t be any need for concerns by Spurs fans. Even if an NFL team is placed in London (not going to happen), NFL is never going to take over the UK just like soccer will never take over the US (I’ve been hearing that since I was kid in the 1970’s). I love both sports (and call them both football by the way) and like it the way it is. Both my NFL team (the Dolphins) and Spurs have the same habit with giving their fans false hope every year and then screwing up at the end, "bottling" as you guys call it. Let’s hope that stops this year with Spurs bringing home some silverware.

#8 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2019 - 20:10

View PostSouth Florida Spur, on 06 March 2019 - 18:21, said:

I cannot speak for Florida in general and definitely not the US as a whole. That being said, I would gather that the teams that have the biggest brand names and historical success would be the ones with the strongest followings. I good guess would be to see which EPL clubs come across the pond during the summer to play in the International Champions Cup. The organizers arenít going to want to include teams that wonít move the needle. So basically, the same top 6 teams on the top of EPL table that you see every year. Heck, I was surprised that Spurs were included in 2017 (because we havenít won anything recently) and thus made every effort to go the game in Orlando against PSG. I would hazard a guess that NFL following in the UK might be the same way with teams like the New England Patriots, Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers having the most fans, though I could be wrong.

Here is South Florida, based upon what I see around town and at shopping mall soccer stores with my own eyes (yes, not a very good sample size) I guess that Barca, Real Madrid and Man Utd are far away up top, with Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh and Arsenal afterwards. Spurs are not household names yet IMO, unless youíre talking the basketball team in San Antonio. My local Spurs Supporter's Club has over 300 members on FaceBook.

NFL at the new stadium. I think that itís an exciting addition to the landscape but I also think that there shouldnít be any need for concerns by Spurs fans. Even if an NFL team is placed in London (not going to happen), NFL is never going to take over the UK just like soccer will never take over the US (Iíve been hearing that since I was kid in the 1970ís). I love both sports (and call them both football by the way) and like it the way it is. Both my NFL team (the Dolphins) and Spurs have the same habit with giving their fans false hope every year and then screwing up at the end, "bottling" as you guys call it. Letís hope that stops this year with Spurs bringing home some silverware.

Thanks, shame because I've heard a lot about how Americans relate more to Spurs than other EPL clubs. Probably a bias Spurs fan who told me that.

#9 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 March 2019 - 20:38

I noticed a fair few Spurs shirts when I was in NY a while ago. And in LA overheard some people during an England game talking about how TottenHam have the best squad and listing Kane, Dele & etc.

We're definitely growing there. NFL association can only help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users