• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poor old Arsenal. Back door champions league entry slammed in their faces

#1 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:08

Great oneupmanship by you guys on here not making a great song and dance about the gooners being s*** ! in the words of jack wilshere "They are s*** and they know it "

They will need to spend big to improve and if we are having a hard time recruiting new blood you can imagine what they are going through.........!

Lovely warm club with lovely warm fans........ :grinny:

#2 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 03 October 2019 - 19:29

Worried that the tide is turning in their favour ...currently 3-0 up after 20 mins albeit in the Europa league, giving plenty of kids a chance, summer signings martinelli and tierney looking good - singing ‘are you Tottenham In disguise?’ ......winding me up now

#3 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 03 October 2019 - 19:37

View PostSpursDan, on 03 October 2019 - 19:29, said:

Worried that the tide is turning in their favour ...currently 3-0 up after 20 mins albeit in the Europa league, giving plenty of kids a chance, summer signings martinelli and tierney looking good - singing ‘are you Tottenham In disguise?’ ......winding me up now

Pepe was expensive though, and their away form isn't good still

#4 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 October 2019 - 19:40

View PostYidio Yidio, on 03 October 2019 - 19:37, said:

Pepe was expensive though, and their away form isn't good still

Good point regarding Pepe ...he looks nowhere near a £70m player at the moment... think I’d cry if he started banging in goals too

#5 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 October 2019 - 19:43

View PostSpursDan, on 03 October 2019 - 19:40, said:

Good point regarding Pepe ...he looks nowhere near a £70m player at the moment... think I’d cry if he started banging in goals too

Theo Walcott clone, can't finish a sentence
:niceone:

#6 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:29

I didn't watch but heard the arse Vs United game looked like two stale mid table sides.

Arsenal probably strongest of the bunch chasing 3rd currently but their fans think the manager is clueless so may not go anywhere.

#7 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:10

View Posttomtom, on 04 October 2019 - 11:29, said:

I didn't watch but heard the arse Vs United game looked like two stale mid table sides.

Arsenal probably strongest of the bunch chasing 3rd currently but their fans think the manager is clueless so may not go anywhere.

Arse away form still jittery.

#8 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 28 November 2019 - 22:14

Haha lovely to see them struggling

Really hope Poch doesn’t go there once they sack Emery

#9 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2019 - 23:45

Apparently he can't go because of a termination deal?

To be honest I wouldn't begrudge Poch joining. The reason being we sacked him early in the season and didn't give him two opportunities to win a trophy. Granted, he may have got the club close to relegation, but we still could in theory have finished 14th-17th and won something.

Perhaps I am too forgiving, but I don't feel the good will of wanting to stay for ten years and never manage Arsenal and so on was reciprocated in reality. As far as I am aware he wasn't sacked by Espanyol.

However, reading Wiki, it was very similar circumstances as to why he mutually agreed leaving.

Edit: Also, I'd only really be bothered if Arsenal signed Allegri.

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:58

It would eat away another little bit of our soul if Poch went to Goonsville, doubled if he won a trophy with them or even got them back in the top 4. However, it's hard to argue the loyalty aspect when we've dumped him for Mourinho, in fact anyone greeting Mourinho with open arms with a who cares as long as we win something stance hasn't a leg to stand on.

I'd be less concerned about Poch's decisions and be more worried about Kane's in terms of loyalty, Mourinho's appointment will make Kane leaving all that bit easier if he should desire to.

Kane has as much right to win trophies as the fans and Aguero isn't getting any younger.

#11 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:11

I'd lose a bit of respect for Poch if he did, especially as Bayern job sounds like it's his if he wants it and Madrid and Zidane won't stick together forever.

It's unclear whether Poch signed any kind of severance deal... Initially a lot of people in the press said he must have done and it likely included clauses about not joining prem team for x amount of time, but someone I know with links to agents & etc said he heard it was a straight sacking and Poch didn't agree to anything.

I agree the loyalty didn't go both ways but Poch seemed too honorable to me to go back on words he said so publicly. He said "if Daniel Levy sacked me one day it would be impossible for me to join Arsenal" that's a hard line to row back from if you go "yeah but he sacked me" a la Mourinho.

#12 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:32

View Posttomtom, on 29 November 2019 - 11:11, said:

I'd lose a bit of respect for Poch if he did, especially as Bayern job sounds like it's his if he wants it and Madrid and Zidane won't stick together forever.

It's unclear whether Poch signed any kind of severance deal... Initially a lot of people in the press said he must have done and it likely included clauses about not joining prem team for x amount of time, but someone I know with links to agents & etc said he heard it was a straight sacking and Poch didn't agree to anything.

I agree the loyalty didn't go both ways but Poch seemed too honorable to me to go back on words he said so publicly. He said "if Daniel Levy sacked me one day it would be impossible for me to join Arsenal" that's a hard line to row back from if you go "yeah but he sacked me" a la Mourinho.

If we go back over Mourinho quotes about Spurs, then I'm afraid we'd need to be very selective about what is acceptable an excuse for simple fickle behaviour. Bottom line is this, loyalty has to be a two way street for it to work and taking Mourinho is about trophies, I can accept that, I can't accept an excuse for his Chelsea links. It is what it is.

#13 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 29 November 2019 - 23:56

I think Poch does have a strange level of integrity. It is enough for him to believe that loyalty is a one way street and stick to that despite being sacked, but I also do not agree that Poch sticks to his words in the press as much as most Spurs fans think.

I would not be worried if Poch joined Arsenal because he would not win a trophy. As for elite clubs deciding their next manager, Poch imo let the hype get to his head a bit since January because there are still a lot of world class managers that have won things and are above him in the pecking order.

#14 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 November 2019 - 00:18

If you take over a club with a relatively shoestring budget and have them in CL consistently and reach a couple of finals whilst developing the most sought after squad in world football, you'll attract more attention than people who won trophies at clubs that are expected to win trophies.

No one knows if a bigger budget will allow Poch to win things, but I'm sure if he went to PSG, Bayern or Madrid he'd win a league at least.

#15 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 30 November 2019 - 00:58

Ollie, Lampard Moyes off the top of my head

#16 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 30 November 2019 - 20:36

Anyone notice they are in an identical position but a few weeks later?

Poch was sacked after 5 consecutive league games without a win and 2 losses in that time period [whilst out of the league cup and having one embarrassing defeat in Europe]. Emery did the exact same [only in a different order].

We've led in both the s*** form and the change.

But if you are wondering the formula for a top six manager to get sacked, there it is.

Sounds strange but the only reason Ole isn't sacked is because United beat Brighton and drew with Liverpool and we lost both games [and they are still in the League Cup].

In a weird way we may or may not want him sacked by the time Jose goes back to Old Trafford.

#17 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:31

Hope I don't eat my words on this one, probably will, but...

Did Everton just appoint a better manager than Arsenal?

#18 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:39

Sounds like Arteta could have what it takes to be a very good manager some day. Poch is among those singing his praises. Apparently tried to get him to join our backroom staff in 2016 before Pep got him.

Let's hope he makes all his mistakes with Arsenal before becoming a highly decorated manager in Spain in the future.

#19 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:23

It's possible but I also remember hoping they would get Arteta after Wenger as opposed to the likes of Simeone.

#20 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 22 December 2019 - 14:04

View Post50 Cent, on 22 December 2019 - 04:23, said:

It's possible but I also remember hoping they would get Arteta after Wenger as opposed to the likes of Simeone.

I would actually give them credit for getting Arteta in, shows more imagination than signing up to a journeyman mercenary. They have a young team with a faltering rebuild program, it's not a team falling anymore, it's a team trying to find a formula to build around, off of a poor transfer philosophy.

Plus, their squad is quite s***e, so hardly an exciting proposition considering the expectation level involved.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users