• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2019-20 prediction Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 17 July 2019 - 16:27

Early, I know, what with squad not yet assembled, but in these football free days why not have a bit of fun. This is how Im seeing next season:

Premier League: we will end up a clear third, behind Oil City (champions) and Dippers.
Champions League: certainly knock-out phases, possibly quarter-finalists.
FA Cup: quarter or semi-finalists
Whatever the League Cup will be called: early round elimination.

So, no silverware, but we will be closer to Oil City and Dippers in the League.

2020-21 is when we really kick-on...

#2 User is offline   old spur 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2019 - 16:15

What I want, and what we will get are two different things. I want silver wear, and don't really care what it is. To me winning the league cup is better than runner up in any competition. My prediction is top six and no silver wear.

#3 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 19 July 2019 - 21:16

I fancy us for a trophy this season...

FA Cup Winners
League Cup quarters
Premier league 4th place
Champions league last 16

#4 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2019 - 21:38

Really depends on transfers
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#5 User is offline   ChrisPienaar 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 19 July 2019 - 22:06

2nd in the league
League cup winners
FA cup quarters
CL quarters

We say this every year but we need to win a trophy this time for real. Our players deserve to and need to taste success.

#6 User is offline   Broadway Beagle 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Banned

Posted 20 July 2019 - 00:36

If i am completely honest i am a bit worried about the collapse of form in the last 12 prem games last season and hope that it was down to injuries and the champions league run.....but 7 defeats,2 draws and 3 wins isnt what you expect from a top 4 prem club and had it not been down to the same awful end of season form for the arse and man utd we would have dropped out the top 4 and been in the europa this coming term.

Also while some players are getting older & some seeing their future elsewhere i would have liked to see a gradual replacing of key players carried out over the years but understandably the new stadium may have had some influence on this.

The truth is if we do get 4-5 new faces in they will take time to gel.

I am also a bit worried pochettino has done his best and that what he has achieved in getting us into 4 champions league campaigns is the apex of his tenure with us and although there is still time for levy to carry out the player refurb pochettino craves i am wondering if it will be enough ? or too little too late if you prefer.

So predictions ! i wouldnt want to hazard a guess apart from definitely not top 4 this season unless bench options are radically upgraded ! and i do really mean upgraded big time ! champs league depends on who we get in the group stage ! a good run is needed to keep earning good money from the comp.
The 2 domestic cups ! well pochettino isnt too keen so how can anyone predict we could win the fa or league cup with that knowledge on board.

However i truly hope you blokes predictions are correct and that i am way off beam.

Finally i hope we wont be regretting not letting real madrid or man utd pay us big bucks for pochettino especially with multiple title winning coach massimiliano allegri quitting juve.

Could have been a win win situation .

Before anyone verbally bashes me for this opinion please remember "it is just an opinion " ****PEACE MAN *********:niceone:

#7 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:44

Agree with some of your concerns from the first half of your post but I think top 4 will happen this season. New record signing will shake things up, even if he doesn't hit the ground running we're going to see even more effort from Sissoko and Winks to nail down their places.

Add to that Chelsea have lost their best player and have a relatively inexperienced manager, Arsenal don't have the budget to do their rebuild and lost one of their most consistent players in Ramsey and United are about to sell Lukaku who despite his limitations was one of their main goal threats. Our troubles are at least matched by other teams imo.

City and Liverpool will be hard to catch unless we get really lucky with form and injuries but 3rd is within grasp.

Cup comps are a lottery as we only take em seriously if we get to Quarters or further but with a favourable run in the early rounds we might turn up for the latter stages.

#8 User is offline   Rich 

• Trainee
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2019 - 14:12

Agree with BB, we need a good start to prove the end of last year was a blip rather than the new norm. The players are good enough as long as their faith isn't shaken by a poor start and the inevitable press nonsense.

Liverpool will need another lucky year with injuries to repeat last season so second is possible.
League - 3rd
League Cup - winners. Poch HAS to realise we need a pot and go big
FA Cup - ditto
Champs Lge - knocked out in qf by Trippier inspired Atletico. We all know it's inevitable (but will enable the above predictions to come true!).

#9 User is offline   PH1882 

• Reserve Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2019 - 17:44

Fourth place and league cup winners and Id be a happy man.

#10 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:34

Predictions... well, I don't agree with predictions, especially those of an overly positive nature from readers... that said:

Premier League: 1st
Champions League: 1st
FA Cup: 1st
Whatever the League Cup will be called: 1st

#11 User is offline   old spur 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2019 - 17:09

I think we will stay up quite comfortably. Poch isn't happy, and this will reflect in the teams performance. I think we will be mid table by Christmas, Poch will go to manager heaven, and we will end up in the top half. We may reach a cup semi final, but I feel we don't take domestic trophies seriously enough to win anything. I may be wrong, but it would the first time ever

#12 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 04 August 2019 - 20:58

I believe we will drop out of the top 4 this season. Not because we haven't bought anyone, it's more because we haven't sold the players we needed to for us to generate the required income for the squad to remain fresh.

However, this in turn will see the domestic cups easier to win. Players only turning up for sporadic matches, much like the Spurs I knew since the late 70's.

N'Dombele will take a couple of months at least to get up to speed, possibly a fair bit longer depending on the form of other CM's.

#13 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2019 - 21:46

View PostYidio Yidio, on 04 August 2019 - 20:58, said:

I believe we will drop out of the top 4 this season. Not because we haven't bought anyone.

I believe similarly as things stand. However, precisely because we haven't bought one more player.

Right now I can't even blame Poch if he f***s up, which is annoying.

#14 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 04 August 2019 - 21:55

View Post50 Cent, on 04 August 2019 - 21:46, said:

I believe similarly as things stand. However, precisely because we haven't bought one more player.

Right now I can't even blame Poch if he f***s up, which is annoying.

I blame players running down their contracts, it's disruptive. Toby staying has left lots of unanswered questions about Sanchez. The Eriksen fee disappearing into nothing is painful, and it will damage us.

#15 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Subs Bench
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:04

Personally I feel the hierarchy of the club would have been able to do more before preseason.

For example, we could have got very clear before then, everyone stays, and we add two more players. One from Champions League money. One for an investment because we deserve a chance at winning it next year.

Then after that deadwood can go, or star players can be accepted for high bids and it doesn't matter.

#16 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:45

View Post50 Cent, on 05 August 2019 - 01:04, said:

Personally I feel the hierarchy of the club would have been able to do more before preseason.

For example, we could have got very clear before then, everyone stays, and we add two more players. One from Champions League money. One for an investment because we deserve a chance at winning it next year.

Then after that deadwood can go, or star players can be accepted for high bids and it doesn't matter.

Difficult because that requires our finances to be flexible to the tune of over a hundred million either way. I said way back that our transfer spend will be close to another zero net spend this summer and everything will revolve around the sale of Eriksen.

Now we sit in a position late in the window where if we bring in another player of 50M sized fee, we'll have done most of the CL prize money and our Eriksen fee as well. Which totally devalues the CL run last season. Most don't give a s*** about that and will start quoting sponsorship deals that run for a very long time and revenue that hasn't even been through our accounts yet.

We won't have anything to show for our once expensive (on paper) squad. We don't seem to be selling high, whilst expected to pay high.

#17 User is offline   Lonspurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:58

View PostYidio Yidio, on 05 August 2019 - 06:45, said:

Difficult because that requires our finances to be flexible to the tune of over a hundred million either way. I said way back that our transfer spend will be close to another zero net spend this summer and everything will revolve around the sale of Eriksen.

Now we sit in a position late in the window where if we bring in another player of 50M sized fee, we'll have done most of the CL prize money and our Eriksen fee as well. Which totally devalues the CL run last season. Most don't give a s*** about that and will start quoting sponsorship deals that run for a very long time and revenue that hasn't even been through our accounts yet.

We won't have anything to show for our once expensive (on paper) squad. We don't seem to be selling high, whilst expected to pay high.

As usual, a decent point, but our motto is "to dare is to do." Eriksen could be sold abroad AFTER the English window shuts. Levy must surely know that it is CRUNCH TIME and he must surely know that he has to speculate to accumulate. I think he'll sort out the Eriksen situation one way or another. I think Lo Celso will come and I'm expecting one other and I hope it is Bruno.

You make some sound posts but I don't entirely agree with you about our finances. You always seem a bit negative on this issue as if the club could possibly be heading for bankruptcy or we are over stretching ourselves. The long-term financial potential of the club is SKY-HIGH. It doesn't look to me as if the transfer fees are going to go DOWN in the next few years and sometimes you have to pay the piper if you want to move forward. The fans are paying high ticket prices and we are filling the stadium. There are many, many positives at Spurs at the moment.

Levy must also know that we cannot possibly lose Poch because he is too highly respected by the players, Kane for one. The impact on the club could be horrendous. I don't necessarily criticise Levy for wheeling and dealing to get the best price - he is GOOD at that - but it is when he flaps about and we don't get anyone that bugs as all. Names are bandied about, the fans go up on a high, and then expectations drop like a ten ton boulder.

I expect this to be a different window and it seems UNTHINKABLE that a chairman won't back a manager that has taken us to a CL final. Spurs have stamped their brand globally under Poch and Levy must know he has to maintain this.

#18 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 August 2019 - 19:29

View PostLonspurs, on 05 August 2019 - 10:58, said:

As usual, a decent point, but our motto is "to dare is to do." Eriksen could be sold abroad AFTER the English window shuts. Levy must surely know that it is CRUNCH TIME and he must surely know that he has to speculate to accumulate. I think he'll sort out the Eriksen situation one way or another. I think Lo Celso will come and I'm expecting one other and I hope it is Bruno.

You make some sound posts but I don't entirely agree with you about our finances. You always seem a bit negative on this issue as if the club could possibly be heading for bankruptcy or we are over stretching ourselves. The long-term financial potential of the club is SKY-HIGH. It doesn't look to me as if the transfer fees are going to go DOWN in the next few years and sometimes you have to pay the piper if you want to move forward. The fans are paying high ticket prices and we are filling the stadium. There are many, many positives at Spurs at the moment.

Levy must also know that we cannot possibly lose Poch because he is too highly respected by the players, Kane for one. The impact on the club could be horrendous. I don't necessarily criticise Levy for wheeling and dealing to get the best price - he is GOOD at that - but it is when he flaps about and we don't get anyone that bugs as all. Names are bandied about, the fans go up on a high, and then expectations drop like a ten ton boulder.

I expect this to be a different window and it seems UNTHINKABLE that a chairman won't back a manager that has taken us to a CL final. Spurs have stamped their brand globally under Poch and Levy must know he has to maintain this.

Some good points, the Eriksen sale can be done after our window closes. But, where I'm not one who is to fussed about bringing players in for a full preseason in favour of getting a better price, it just seems logical that I'd be concerned about selling late in Eriksen's case due to his 1 year contract. A forced sale is fine if we're buying but not if we're selling. In this instance, the fault lies with the windows across Europe closing at different times and I certainly wouldn't blame Levy for that.

My concern about paying silly money is justified by my earlier point that Tanguy was quoted at 80M and we got him for 53M, I need say no more on this matter. Levy certainly has every right to fight hard for deals, I find it difficult to understand why some remove simple rules of life when the subject matter is football deals. There are to many over paid players on contracts with a good few years left to run throughout world football. I cannot endorse big fees and wages on players from abroad because I haven't seen enough of them to make claims of how good they may or may not be. A few of these type deals would hinder our progress for years, so the concern is valid. I still remember Bentley, the hype, the fail. Put that in todays prices and it's not pretty. Clubs paying wages to players they cannot sell while they loan them out is a route that would sadden me immensely if we found ourselves doing just that.

Our finances are improving, and a window without Chelsea or City (under scrutiny) spending like the morons is a window with opportunity, I agree with that. But, it isn't a license to fill their void and act as they would. The real possibility is to buy better at more affordable prices. If the Oil clubs were at full tilt this summer, or Pool hadn't done a massive spend last year, we probably wouldn't have even got close to N'Dombele, I just don't buy into this whole buy early, pay the piper attitude because it's dangerous. Couple that with the bigger buzz and more pride in producing a player like Kane then my desire to leave genuine routes open for academy to be promoted isn't negative, but the negativity of blocking them with foreign and more expensive failures isn't lost on me.

We have been accussed of spunking the Bale money because of the failure of players who arrived with as much hype and possibly more than those we're trying to acquire at present. Villas Boas got backed, but claimed he was not, when it all went tits up, never gets mentioned that he couldn't get a tune out of Dembele or Vertonghen, it's so much easier to agree that Levy is always at fault.

Me personally, well, I'm far less negative than most, I'm more likely to give a player longer to settle and I bought into project Poch on day one. I've been accussed of being a happy Clappy more than anyone else on PS but I kinda like that. Blind faith, Rose tinted glasses lol, the works. Only to be told I guessed lucky by those who took years to jump on board. Ironic that I'm now negative and bias.

#19 User is offline   electricpace 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2019 - 20:04

Considering your last paragraph is all about you .. id say youre self absorbed too

#20 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 05 August 2019 - 20:26

View Postelectricpace, on 05 August 2019 - 20:04, said:

Considering your last paragraph is all about you .. id say youre self absorbed too

Read the post I replied to, it mentions me being personally negative, not sure how to respond without being self absorbed.

I don't need you to explain yet another personal jibe, nothing comes of it unless I retaliate, and tell you what you are, but I won't.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users