Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

As good as it gets? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:51

Without suggesting that ‘Project Poch’ has actually run its course and peaked, I think we need to consider that things are not going to necessarily move on to a next (elevated) phase. We all seem in agreement on the forum that to become PL Champions we need to spend big on players in 2/3 positions and that last season’s CL Final was an unexpected bonus. I don’t think ‘our Daniel’ would ever sanction a £350m spending spree to try and compete with Man City or the Dippers, so the likelihood of getting above third place in the Prem is remote. Winning the CL is in a similar, remote bracket. FA Cup and League Cup? Highly possible, but is that really what Poch aspires to?

So, maybe, without shopping for our players at Harrods, this is as good as it gets.

Poch’s legacy could, if he chose to do so, be to concentrate on the development of youth, whether that be from within the club or not. It might not go down well with supporters who want to dine at the top table, but just imagine nurturing an Ajax-like team who are able to set the PL and CL alight, even though they might not actually win them.

#2 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:00

I feel no matter how the rest of the window goes we'd need an insane amount of luck to actually win the league.

We *could* find that Ndombele makes a huge difference to our play, offering more going forwards and giving us a more solid base to build from. Winks and Lamela look fantastic in pre-season and could be like new signings *if* they stay fit. Lucas looks more goal hungry and could potentially carry on his end of season CL form into the league this year. KWP might become the Walker replacement we all wish for. Kane might hit 50 goals. New stadium might be a fortress where we can rediscover our unbeaten all season home form from WHL. Even with all that I still think we'd struggle to catch City unless they have some kind of meltdown or internal issues.

You expect every season to have a dip in form at some point... City just haven't really had one in the league for 2 seasons running. Which means we can't afford one, which isn't really realistic.

#3 User is offline   electricpace 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:08

I only predict we’ll be competing for the ‘Best of the Rest’ trophy with Levy and co. in charge.

Also, no team has or ever will truly compete for silverware by taking just a youth development approach to success as squads need strengthening with established players.

#4 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Football, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union, film and books, current affairs

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:41

View Postelectricpace, on 01 August 2019 - 10:08, said:

Also, no team has or ever will truly compete for silverware by taking just a youth development approach to success as squads need strengthening with established players.

But that misses the point. It is an intellectual exercise in moulding youth or raw talent into a thing of wonder. Fergie did it with Beckham, Butt, Scholes and the Nevilles; Ajax have done it more than once; no reason we couldn’t replicate this. It’s a pure, glorious project. If silverware comes than it is a thing of beauty, if not it is a thing of purity. An antidote to the sewer that big football currently wades in.

#5 User is offline   old spur 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:07

For Levy it is a balancing act. As a result of winning the premiership would our revenue be greater than the money needed to spend on players to do it. Let's not forget, despite what Levy may say, he isn't a fan, he's a chairman.

I agree that with the players we have we won't win the league, but not because our best 14 or so players aren't capable. We lose against too many sides that aren't as good as us, mainly because of the players mental strength. If players had to fight for their places then perhaps that extra edge would give us the points we need. City and Pool were desperate to win every game in order they could win the league, whereas our aim was never anything more than a top four spot, and we were lucky to get that.

#6 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:19

Agree with that

#7 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Legend
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:21

View Postold spur, on 02 August 2019 - 10:07, said:

For Levy it is a balancing act. As a result of winning the premiership would our revenue be greater than the money needed to spend on players to do it. Let's not forget, despite what Levy may say, he isn't a fan, he's a chairman.

I agree that with the players we have we won't win the league, but not because our best 14 or so players aren't capable. We lose against too many sides that aren't as good as us, mainly because of the players mental strength. If players had to fight for their places then perhaps that extra edge would give us the points we need. City and Pool were desperate to win every game in order they could win the league, whereas our aim was never anything more than a top four spot, and we were lucky to get that.

All valid

#8 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:23

View Postold spur, on 02 August 2019 - 10:07, said:

I can't Agree with your comment about mental strength because our champs league exploits suggest we do have the mental strength.
To be behind against good sides but still have the belief you will win in the last 10mins indicates as a team you have a bit about you.

I think your spot on about losing against teams we shouldn't ,I also like you firmly believe that is down to competition for places .
Having mental strength to win titles is hard to come by but it don't half help if you got someone breathing down your neck for your place in the team.

Something we haven't had mainly due to injuries but also in the last 18 months because we haven't added to the squad via transfers or bringing through the youth.

#9 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2019 - 15:33

I also differ on the point about mental strength. The main reason being if we were tactically set up better to defend, with an extra defensive midfielder as an example, we would not have pissed away so many points against lesser teams last season.

I feel the mentality comes from the manager, which is, we are 1-0 up, therefore let's play a diamond and try to score 2, and we lose 3-1 because we are so open.

Anyway, I don't believe it is as good as it gets or as good as we will ever have it or have had it in the past. I also don't believe Levy is so far away from winning the league. All he needed was a slight adjustment of one more quality expensive player imo..

In order to sort out the defensive weakness and get us over the line.

#10 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 02 August 2019 - 17:07

View PostArmchairSpurs, on 01 August 2019 - 11:41, said:

But that misses the point. It is an intellectual exercise in moulding youth or raw talent into a thing of wonder. Fergie did it with Beckham, Butt, Scholes and the Nevilles; Ajax have done it more than once; no reason we couldn’t replicate this. It’s a pure, glorious project. If silverware comes than it is a thing of beauty, if not it is a thing of purity. An antidote to the sewer that big football currently wades in.

Exactly, but once more we have to repeat that the FFP rules will eventually bring City/Chavs back to the pack. Our entire plan has been to work within our own affordable growth, that growth continues and has done for a few years. It's more reliant on top 4 than winning any trophy, but it will naturally bring us closer to the possibility if we don't panic with spending. It's hard for some to understand that this is not defeatist, it's actually belief that in time we will be generating enough to battle for top honours. But that in turn needs the FFP rules to do it's bit as well.

The last thing we want to be doing is saddling ourselves with dead wages, it happens all to easily and is now crippling clubs in the top 6. It's as important to avoid this as anything else. As good as City's squad may be, they paid off a good few that under proper rules would have halted their squad build to what it is now.

#11 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:24

In reply to the title question .
As good as it gets ? Under the current ownership ?......Absolutely!

#12 User is offline   electricpace 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 03 August 2019 - 15:29

View Poststokesie, on 03 August 2019 - 11:24, said:

👍

#13 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 03 August 2019 - 15:34

View Poststokesie, on 03 August 2019 - 11:24, said:

I’m coming round to thinking that too if I’m being honest. Not surprising really seeing that I asked the question in the first place!

#14 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 26 August 2019 - 13:27

Worth dragging this old topic out in light of our start to the season.

Look’s like it...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users