• You cannot reply to this topic

Is Harry Winks good enough

#1 User is offline   SteveB 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:13

Has Harry Winks reached his plateau ?

He reminds me so much of Spurs legend Steve Perryman - a great pro, no doubt about that, but not a great player. He seems to lack the vision required to be that. Yes, I agree that all sides need a workhorse and you cannot fill sides with the likes of Dele Ali or Christian Eriksen but Winks doesnt have the power of Sissoko or, from what i have see, Ndombele. Yet he seems to be a pivotal point in our midfield - why?

Whenever the ball comes to him his immediate instinct seems to be to pass is short, sideways or backwards - his movement is always lateral and this seems to nulify any momentum

At best Winks is a decent squad player and occassional bench warmer - nothing more. To be fair to the lad maybe its time to move him on

Thoughts

#2 User is online   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:19

Not a starter for a top 6 team imo. Ok to bring on if you want to keep possession for the last 10-15 minutes, but thatís it. Neat tidy player, but he doesnít hurt the opponent in attacking arrears. Him and sissoko in the middle is just not good enough, especially at home to teams that need braking down. A squad player at best

#3 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Spikey Spurs Fan
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:29

Winks is a component in a well oiled machine, if you were building a good team he's the type of player that would make that team purr. He's there to knit it together but if the team isn't clicking he's wasted.

The problem is that if your creative unit is playing like strangers in a park, then Winks can't influence that. He's an above average water carrier as his performances sometimes prove. England V Spain he was looking like Xavi.

In short, he's excellent in a team playing well, but his game is blunt if his team is playing s***e. Definitely not suited to counter attacking football.

I don't think he's the problem anymore than Sissokho being hopeless in front of goal. But, there are no goals in either and as a pair that hurts us. N'Dombele proved this against Villa shooting from distance, something we need to do when facing teams executing a defensive strategy like Newcastle.

#4 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2019 - 16:13

He is good enough. He proved that in the Champions League final, and away at Madrid, and so on.

Does our team need him right now? No. We need another type of player, or another type of system, or another type of player beside him. Especially in the Premier League. Especially against teams that park the bus.

#5 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2019 - 17:03

Just don't think the Sissoko Winks partnership works. As many have said Ndombele has already shown more creativity. Maybe Tanguy and Harry in the middle and go crzay and put Moussa at right back now that KWP is injured

#6 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 28 August 2019 - 17:04

Agree with yids on this , he is being made a scapegoat as a result of what is in front of him .

If you watch his positioning as defensive midfielder off the ball it's pretty good , the one area of his game that does bother me is that he drops too deep to collect from the defence but maybe that's what poch is asking.

If there is a problem it's maybe that winks and siss can't play together in the centre of midfield because they don't have the killer pass in the locker

#7 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2019 - 17:25

View Postwillyid82, on 28 August 2019 - 17:04, said:

Agree with yids on this , he is being made a scapegoat as a result of what is in front of him .

If you watch his positioning as defensive midfielder off the ball it's pretty good , the one area of his game that does bother me is that he drops too deep to collect from the defence but maybe that's what poch is asking.

If there is a problem it's maybe that winks and siss can't play together in the centre of midfield because they don't have the killer pass in the locker

That's what I've been saying. Both are decent players but provide not a lot going forward as a pair and our opponents have all learnt that. If Poch was to partner them with someone else or change the formation the team could thrive.

#8 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 28 August 2019 - 23:04

View PostYidio Yidio, on 28 August 2019 - 07:29, said:

Winks is a component in a well oiled machine, if you were building a good team he's the type of player that would make that team purr. He's there to knit it together but if the team isn't clicking he's wasted.

The problem is that if your creative unit is playing like strangers in a park, then Winks can't influence that. He's an above average water carrier as his performances sometimes prove. England V Spain he was looking like Xavi.

In short, he's excellent in a team playing well, but his game is blunt if his team is playing s***e. Definitely not suited to counter attacking football.

I don't think he's the problem anymore than Sissokho being hopeless in front of goal. But, there are no goals in either and as a pair that hurts us. N'Dombele proved this against Villa shooting from distance, something we need to do when facing teams executing a defensive strategy like Newcastle.

This is possibly the most accurate depiction of winks Iíve read lately.

Especially the parts on being wasted if it isnít clicking, and the counter attacking point.

Itís important that Poch knows when and when not to play Winks.
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#9 User is offline   SteveB 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:54

I think you are all missing the central point that I am making - Winks plays everything sideways or backwards, short tippy tappy passes that just kill all momentum. At least Sissoko can surge forward with power and pace, even tho, when he gets a sight of goal he is clueless

#10 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:22

View PostSteveB, on 29 August 2019 - 09:54, said:

I think you are all missing the central point that I am making - Winks plays everything sideways or backwards, short tippy tappy passes that just kill all momentum. At least Sissoko can surge forward with power and pace, even tho, when he gets a sight of goal he is clueless

I agree with your analysis of Winks, but if Sissoko had end product it would be a very tidy partnership. Their combination doesn't pose a threat. Ndombele has shown he has end product already and Harry might flourish sitting behind him. Sissoko could fill the right back role as historically he's played out wide, albeit further forward, he can power forward and back and won't be required to shoot often.

#11 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:49

View PostSteveB, on 29 August 2019 - 09:54, said:

I don't think we are missing the point Steve, a few of us have posted that we believe our attacking play is a major contributor to winks passing sideways.

#12 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2019 - 14:24

I take the point on Winks being limited as a player. But that just means you either don't play him in certain games, for tactical reasons, or you play someone else beside him who can do other things and works well.

As everyone has mentioned, both Winks and Sissoko are limited. I would prefer Sissoko with N'Dombele, but Winks and N'Dombele could also work. Ideally we'd just have a clear defensive midfielder and a clear creative midfielder that were good enough, fit enough, and so on.

That said, there are games where Winks and Sissoko thrive. That is why it is not always a question of are they good enough. To win a league and compete with Man City and Liverpool? At the moment, evidently they are not good enough in the Premier League so far.

#13 User is offline   fentonroad 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2019 - 16:57

Sorry, posted this in the wrong player:

Anyway, back to Mr Winks. Credit where credit is due, he was top drawer yesterday and didn't frustrate me once. Showed exactly why he should be in the team with his tackling back etc. Maybe it should be him partnering Ndombele in the middle.

Everyone else seems to have a go at right back so let's just put Sissoko there, we won't have to worry about his shooting or final ball!

#14 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 21:00

I posted this in another thread but I think the key with Winks is that he is better when teams come out to play.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users