Planet Spurs Forums: January Transfer window 2020 (our most important window for decades) - Planet Spurs Forums

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

January Transfer window 2020 (our most important window for decades)

#1 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:58

We HAVE to get it right in January...be swift in everything we do.

Out:
Eriksen
Verts
Toby
Rose
Aurier
Wanyama

ATLEAST the above just have to go IMO

In:
I have no f***ing idea but the scouts need to do their job and work with Poch to identify realistic affordable targets.

Donít get me wrong Iíd love Maddison, Dybala etc but those two alone would cost about £150m...we canít just go throwing money around..it has to be an organised window where we perhaps go to lower leagues to find some cheaper talent

#2 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:27

Thank you, realistic affordable targets.

N'dombele was affordable, because we had CL money. Dybala needed Eriksen money to happen,

Coutinho, Maguire...ÖÖ..teams on the up earn money as well as spend it, they are the rules now.

We are earning more now than ever before, that ain't to say we should not give a toss how it's spent.

Unless we're all 12 yrs old and have no value of money.

#3 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:48

I've always been reticent to trust Poch on transfers... Same as I was with Redknapp. Both of them had star players brought in before their involvement and did a fantastic job of developing the team. But take Modric, Bale and co away from HR and Dele, Jan, Eriksen & etc from Poch and things would look very different for both of them.

Harry's biggest transfer successes were extremely short term (Ade, Scott Parker). Poch deserves credit for Son and I still have faith Sanchez, Ndombele and Lo Celso will prove worthy purchases but all were expensive acquisitions and he hasn't nailed a cheap prospect since joining that I can think of.

Both arguably would have achieved more with the right DoF. I know it's not how things used to be done and a lot of English fans think the manager should have total control on transfers but to me it makes sense to have someone whose job is solely focusing on studying various domestic and overseas leagues to unearth gems the manager won't know much about. Can't expect Poch to be across every promising talent in world football, even with scouts.

Anyway. I agree with all your outs Griff.

#4 User is offline   Yidio Yidio 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Driving my new Audi, beep beep!!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:00

View Posttomtom, on 06 October 2019 - 11:48, said:

I've always been reticent to trust Poch on transfers... Same as I was with Redknapp. Both of them had star players brought in before their involvement and did a fantastic job of developing the team. But take Modric, Bale and co away from HR and Dele, Jan, Eriksen & etc from Poch and things would look very different for both of them.

Harry's biggest transfer successes were extremely short term (Ade, Scott Parker). Poch deserves credit for Son and I still have faith Sanchez, Ndombele and Lo Celso will prove worthy purchases but all were expensive acquisitions and he hasn't nailed a cheap prospect since joining that I can think of.

Both arguably would have achieved more with the right DoF. I know it's not how things used to be done and a lot of English fans think the manager should have total control on transfers but to me it makes sense to have someone whose job is solely focusing on studying various domestic and overseas leagues to unearth gems the manager won't know much about. Can't expect Poch to be across every promising talent in world football, even with scouts.

You can't be wrong, Arnesen, Commoli even Baldini had some level of success. Pleat apparently for Dele as well.

We do need a head of scouting, but I always thought we had one.

#5 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:06

View PostSpursDan, on 06 October 2019 - 09:58, said:

We HAVE to get it right in January...be swift in everything we do.

Out:
Eriksen
Verts
Toby
Rose
Aurier
Wanyama

ATLEAST the above just have to go IMO

In:
I have no f***ing idea but the scouts need to do their job and work with Poch to identify realistic affordable targets.

Donít get me wrong Iíd love Maddison, Dybala etc but those two alone would cost about £150m...we canít just go throwing money around..it has to be an organised window where we perhaps go to lower leagues to find some cheaper talent

Canít see Eriksen and Toby going,they would only be 5 months away from going,on a free and getting a big pay day.
Iím happy with Rose atm but Aurier can go
Canít,too much in the winter window but priority signings should be..

Right back, left sided central defender, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder/striker.

What about the keeper situation,Poch should certainly scouting Hugoís replacement...
FULL TIME REPLACEMENT.

Problem is whether Poch will still be with us next season,if not Levy will not spend on players who any new manager might not want.He might not even spend the money to get enough players in.

#6 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:44

Eriksen, Toby and Jan can sign pre contracts in Jan. If they do I'd tell em not to bother coming to training again. Tell the clubs they sign with they can get em in early for a few M (like we did with Holtby a few years ago). Any club would presumably rather do that than have them go backwards for 6 months with no training.

#7 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 October 2019 - 13:53

View Posttomtom, on 06 October 2019 - 12:44, said:

Eriksen, Toby and Jan can sign pre contracts in Jan. If they do I'd tell em not to bother coming to training again. Tell the clubs they sign with they can get em in early for a few M (like we did with Holtby a few years ago). Any club would presumably rather do that than have them go backwards for 6 months with no training.

I agree with you tom but can you see levy being happy not being the lead in negotiating and accepting a fee for a player he probably would not agree with.

#8 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 06 October 2019 - 14:30

If they sign pre contracts it's something for nothing at that point.

Between 3 of them would be 21M in wages saved plus whatever nominal fees we can get.

#9 User is offline   Silver 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2019 - 21:18

My outgoings would be Aurier, KWP, Toby, Verts, Rose, Wanyama, Eriksen, possibly Lloris and Dele, too. Doubt more than 1-2 will happen in winter though. I think more changes are likely in the summer when Toby's, Vert's and Eriksen's contracts expire. Also, getting rid of 7 players would require buying around 7 new as well and in January it's all but impossible. Evn if Tanganga would replace one CB it's still mission impossible to replace them all in January so even selling Wanyama and say on RB and finding quality replacements would be a very good window and in the sumer we would need to continue and finish our revolution.

Youth should be the way to go as our ageing squad isn't physically capable of realizing Poch's high intensity tactics anymore.

#10 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2019 - 23:34

I don't really know where to start.

For example, losing Vertonghen and Eriksen is a massive blow. We still have not recovered since Dembele, Dier and Wanyama crocked. I take the point that we need to move on regardless but imo the squad has been mismanaged in preseason, and the entire club is a shambles if it wants to sort it out mid season.

#11 User is offline   fentonroad 

• First Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:51

It's whether we go short term or long term gain in the transafer market.

Dele and Dier are just coming back from injury so can't be blamed for not being match sharp. Everybody is generally on the wane but surely we should persist with Alli and Eric to get back to their former selves? Maybe Dier and Sanchez can form a centre back partnership?

Wanyama and Aurier are too injury prone for me and once we get Sess fit we have to chuck him straight in.

Any pre contracts in January from Jan, Toby and Eriksen means we have to stop playing them and blood the likes of Sanchez and Lo Celso.

If Sissoko can prove his worth at right back we might not have to strengthen that position.

I just hop Lo Celso gets fit asap and proves he can fill the void that will be left by Eriksen but I see him more of a Lamela type player although he drops deeper and can play alongside Tanguy. Either way we need to play him someone to see if he fits the bill.

As soon as Eriksen stated he wanted a new challenge we should have got rid. He has been immense for us and I don't want to remember his last year or so being unproductive. He has been our best player since he joined.

Worst case?:

Gazza
Sissoko Dier Sanchez Sess
Lo Celso Ndombele
Moura Dele Son
Kane

#12 User is offline   SteveB 

• Fringe Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:28

View Posttomtom, on 06 October 2019 - 11:48, said:

Are you saying that Pochetinno has influence on transfer dealings. From all I have read and heard that is not the case

#13 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:59

Of course he does. He doesn't have a blank chequebook but it's disingenuous of him to say otherwise.

If it were purely up to Levy he wouldn't be breaking our transfer record twice in one window.

#14 User is offline   bohsmart79 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2019 - 19:23

who do people want in more to the point who are realistic targets?? matt Doherty of wolves for me prem experience can play in a 442 or 352 formation.probably wouldn't break the bank either.

#15 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 08 October 2019 - 21:48

I might be wrong but have a feeling dealing with Wolves on anyone they currently play might be difficult. They have a lot of money and engage in some underhanded accounting practises

#16 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:59

View Postbohsmart79, on 08 October 2019 - 19:23, said:

who do people want in more to the point who are realistic targets?? matt Doherty of wolves for me prem experience can play in a 442 or 352 formation.probably wouldn't break the bank either.

Jarod Bowen 22 English Hull City - Attacking midfielder
Kalvin Phillips 23 English Leeds United - Defensive midfielder
Jayden Bogle 19 English Derby County - Right Back

Just a few that have caught my eye in the championship - these are the type of players we should be going for in my opinion....they wouldnít cost too much and especially Bowen and Phillips have been consistent performers last couple of years

#17 User is offline   bohsmart79 

• Youth Squad
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2019 - 20:46

View PostSpursDan, on 09 October 2019 - 14:59, said:

Jarod Bowen 22 English Hull City - Attacking midfielder
Kalvin Phillips 23 English Leeds United - Defensive midfielder
Jayden Bogle 19 English Derby County - Right Back

Just a few that have caught my eye in the championship - these are the type of players we should be going for in my opinion....they wouldnít cost too much and especially Bowen and Phillips have been consistent performers last couple of years

we prob sign them all and loan them back haha

#18 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:25

We tried for Bowen. Forget why it didn't happen

#19 User is offline   willyid82 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:17

View Postbohsmart79, on 08 October 2019 - 19:23, said:

I really like Doherty , he was the best right back I watched play against us last season.
Wolves may be difficult to deal with but surely the lad would be interested in playing for us?

#20 User is offline   SpursDan 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:43

View Postwillyid82, on 10 October 2019 - 05:17, said:

I really like Doherty , he was the best right back I watched play against us last season.
Wolves may be difficult to deal with but surely the lad would be interested in playing for us?

Doherty turns 28 in January...Wolves would demand £40m+ ....canít see Levy doing it
For the record Iíd love Doherty too

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users