• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Humble Jose Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 November 2019 - 23:44

I was initially impressed by Jose in all the press conferences. I knew he was saying what we wanted to hear, but that in itself showed he understood our concerns. He addressed all the elephants in the room and at least acted like he cared what the fans thought about his shortcomings, and that he intended to improve on them.

There have been a couple signs that have shown that mask may already be slipping for me.

The first was him not going to the fans, but standing in the middle of the pitch waiting for Dele and Son and then saying "it's not about me. It's about the players". This was laying it on too thick for me. If it wasn't about him he'd have gone into the changing room not stood in front of the camera and waited for the 2 stars of the game.

Dele being relatedly asked about Jose's "are you Dele? Then why are you playing like his brother" has clearly got on his nerves. We all know he's struggled with injuries and poor service. His form dipped as a result but the idea that Jose spent 2 training sessions with him and he's suddenly a new player has irked him. In the latest presser he said that the "brother" quip was the first thing Jose said to him. He said "he's said other things since but I don't know if he's told anybody". It was all for media reaction by Jose but as Dele said "it's nothing new, other people have said similar things"

As Dele said Vs West Ham he had a ton of space when often in the 10 role he doesn't. That's not tactical genius by Jose, just s*** defending by West Ham. But here Jose is lapping up the attention for bringing Dele back. Maybe this will bring the best out of Dele, or p!ss him off at being used as a pawn by a manager who thrives on media attention.

Jose's now constantly repeating that Pochettino is welcome at Spurs whenever he wants and if he wants Jose not to be there that's not a problem. That it's his club. What a load of bs! Imagine if Poch said "I'm on my way in, tell Jose to clear off". It wouldn't ever happen. This is again just media posturing for the headlines and the fans dumb enough (or just willing) to lap it up.

So my question is when is humble, friendly, respectful, nice guy Mourinho going to depart and the real Jose stand up?

#2 User is offline   50 Cent 

• Spurs Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Spurs Fan

Posted 26 November 2019 - 00:44

Hm, food for thought, Tom. Well written piece. With regards to the fan thing, I have a feeling he may have gone to the crowd if it ended 3-0, or 5-0. I think he was genuinely uncertain and hesitant, but it was in part because he didn't feel the result was an accomplishment for himself, but then realised it was one for the players and fans who hadn't won in 11 months away in the Premier League.

Also, when Dele was coming off from fans' celebrations, I noticed Jose not wanting to shake his hand for a second time when he went in for it, because they had already done it once publicly on the pitch. I think he genuinely puts thought into what he displays publicly.

As for whether it is all a public sham display, or he genuinely is concerned and has empathy, I think it is a bit of both. His behaviour has been corrected due to 11 months out of the game and learning media perception.

I'm not really too bothered (at the moment). It is important he has some fire and ego left to get us over the line. He is genuinely being cautious, but he would get criticised no matter what. It is a hard situation replacing Poch. He did genuinely oversee and have input into the training ground and the stadium etc.

I don't think there is an easy way to please everyone with media comments regarding this. With time Poch will be welcome back. I'm sure Jol or Arry would be. Jose is right in the immediate weeks after it must be a shock and needs more time. Perhaps no comment a better answer. No idea to be honest. He gets a lot of wider press to keep happy, not just the average football press Poch got.

#3 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:19

He's box office and he knows it is partly my point. It's a circus and this week he plays the role of humble servant, but it's all an act.

Spurs social media following has apparently risen faster since his appointment than ever before. So the club are going to encourage it with a hope we convert more fans and sell more stuff.

#4 User is offline   ArmchairSpurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:04

Good thread. A few thoughts:

Jose is damned if he does and damned if he doesnít.

For the first time time in my life I have avidly sought ought our managerís press conferences.

Why did Dele appear to be pissed off when substituted against the Spammers? Was he annoyed with himself? Thought he should have stayed on? Was he trying to get a message across to his manager?

Joseís mask will slip as soon as he feels that the media are starting to criticise his time at Spurs. That could be after an early FA Cup exit or, God forbid, failure to qualify for the CL knock-out phase.

#5 User is offline   Roger Redknapp 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:35

It’s pretty obvious that whilst Jose loves the media attention..It is clearly deflecting it off the players which is probably a bit of relief for them.

When we signed Jose it probably had a psychological effect on Lampard, Rogers, Emery and even Klopp and Pep looking ahead of time. It means spurs aren’t going to fizzle out and go in the direction of Everton for much longer than a month or so

The saying Poch is welcome back every time is his way of letting us know he’s aware he’s viewed as an outsider and is dealing with the matter with his own version of TLC, no matter how semi patronising that is
'If we are artists of our own being, let us paint our own horizons' 23:26

#6 User is offline   aramak 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame
  • Interests:Travel, nature, fitness, movies, music, reading, sports, politics, debating, sociology

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:22

A leopard doesn't change his spots and Jose will be Jose. Is he making sure he says the right thing? your damn right he is because he knows his stock is low among the British press and fans even if it's massive elsewhere.

And in between his carefully thought out statements he drops his bombs. 'Getting to a final is an achievement but it's not history' 'No one remembers who lost the final'

Do I expect the mask to drop? Yes it will but not because he's unhappy with his squad because he has always praised and rated this side going back a few seasons now and even at the start of the season he said we were title contenders even though that went to pot.

He's not humble in the slightest but he thinks he has more to work with than he had at ManU which is true and he believes he can get more out of these players than Poch. We'll see on that front.

The most important things he said and would get his players feeling good were. 'Give me a few more weeks and we will go to any ground in England and abroad and we won't fear anyone' and 'With these boys I'm not worried about facing any team'

These are words he never said about United and he's saying this within a week. I thought he was a damaged goods but his record spoke for him and since he's got the job I've paid attention to interviews recent and past and I think he can get us going places and really challenging and winning things.

Mainly, yes for his own ego but also because he struggles to settle for anything less and we will go from being everyone's second team to being hated by most but it would we because we had lost the Spursy way and putting teams noses out of joint.

Poch put the fight into these players but he couldn't install a win at all cost mentality and ruthlessness to them. I think Jose can.

#7 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:44

Iíve never really given a s***e bout our managers have ever come across in the press. It seems to be a common trait amongst our fans though. Some are obsessed about how our managers come across in the media. Itís how they have the team playing which is more important t to me.

So far, and itís only been a week, he has come across superbly In my opinion. He has always said complimentary things about us, even back to Martin jols days.
He has praised Poch to the hilt, and I thought him keeping his distance away from the fans was the right thing to do.

He realises it has been a big change , and the last thing our fans needed was him running upto them on Saturday and throwing his arms everywhere and fist pumping. It wasnít the right time for that.

Im actually glad West Ham came back on Saturday. It showed to mourinho how much work there actually is to do.
Kane looked angry and Hungary .

Anyone notice how little we passed the ball back to the keeper and how little we played out From the back. Was a welcome change and the players looked happier for it

#8 User is offline   SteveB 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 26 November 2019 - 13:55

Leopards - Spots

#9 User is offline   dieselspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 26 November 2019 - 15:06

I may naive but him not going to the fans I thought was out of respect for Poch and the waiting for Dele I think was because Dele was clearly pis@ed about being subbed?

#10 User is offline   griff 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 26 November 2019 - 15:26

View Postdieselspurs, on 26 November 2019 - 15:06, said:

I may naive but him not going to the fans I thought was out of respect for Poch and the waiting for Dele I think was because Dele was clearly pis@ed about being subbed?

Totally agree with you

#11 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2019 - 15:37

No need for him to go to the fans unless weíve won away at City or Liverpool .

Letís wait and see before we judge .

#12 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 26 November 2019 - 17:34

Some very good posts.

I'm not even really criticising him for any of it. It's just interesting to watch analytically. He's a clever guy, but he's so clearly putting on an act at the moment... It's nearly masterfully done as he seems very sincere in almost all of it, but then there's a couple cracks where you can see the real Jose poking through.

I agree with stokesie though. I don't normally really care what managers say to the press as I expect it to be different to what they say to the players. I only care if they throw the team or players to the wolves for their own benefit, something Jose has done at times in the past.

#13 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:01

For some Jose will never be able to do right for doing wrong, and as long as he is at the club these people won't change their mind. From the minute he came to the country I have loved him. You see, I love characters, and there is no bigger character than the special one. Fact, Poch had lost the plot, the dressing room, our performances were lack luster, and he needed replacing. Fact, we have won one grotty league cup in the last twenty years, and the fans are desperate for success. Fact, Jose has won my trophies in his career than Spurs have in their history. If there is anyone that is going to win us anything it's him. If Poch was in charge last night would he have made the early Dier change, would he heck. He would have waited until the hour was up, and then it would have been to late. Jose will upset all sorts of people while he is at the club, and we all know that, but that's what you get with a genius. Time to get behind him, and please please stop moaning until we have the same sort of poor run we had with Poch.

#14 User is offline   dieselspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:25

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the supporters that would have given Poch till the end of the season. But I do like Jose, not so much Jose from Utd because he didn't keep his cool and lost his whit, it is his calm manner with arrogance and sharp whit that I have always liked but I think his mistakes at Utd are to our gain.

#15 User is offline   old spur 

• Club Captain

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:56

View Postdieselspurs, on 27 November 2019 - 09:25, said:

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the supporters that would have given Poch till the end of the season. But I do like Jose, not so much Jose from Utd because he didn't keep his cool and lost his whit, it is his calm manner with arrogance and sharp whit that I have always liked but I think his mistakes at Utd are to our gain.

Utd sacked him after he had won two trophies, we would of had him stuffed and mounted :niceone:

#16 User is offline   stokesie 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 27 November 2019 - 14:39

View Postold spur, on 27 November 2019 - 09:56, said:

Utd sacked him after he had won two trophies, we would of had him stuffed and mounted :niceone:

😂

#17 User is offline   electricpace 

• Club Captain

Posted 27 November 2019 - 15:09

Iím waiting for a couple of back to back loses to really see which Jose we have.

#18 User is offline   tomtom 

• Spurs Hall Of Fame

Posted 27 November 2019 - 15:45

saw a great tweet earlier... I'm paraphrasing

Jose is like that ex you get back together with after they promise they've changed, it's all good for the first few weeks but you know they'll soon be back at screaming at you for folding your underpants wrongly :lmao:

#19 User is offline   dieselspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 27 November 2019 - 17:15

View Postold spur, on 27 November 2019 - 09:56, said:

😂😂😂

#20 User is offline   dieselspurs 

• Spurs Legend

Posted 27 November 2019 - 17:16

View Posttomtom, on 27 November 2019 - 15:45, said:

saw a great tweet earlier... I'm paraphrasing

Jose is like that ex you get back together with after they promise they've changed, it's all good for the first few weeks but you know they'll soon be back at screaming at you for folding your underpants wrongly :lmao:

😂😂

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users